Greatest Sci-fi hero of all time?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aries666

Crazed Honey Badger
12 Badges
Mar 5, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
Seeing as we have a greatest villain thread I figured we should have some balance. So who is your greatest hero, are they a paragon of justice, a moral crusader, maybe a fanatical zealot, are they morally ambiguous or straight as an arrow, were they an unwilling victim of circumstance or were they always destined for greatness? Answers on a postcard.

As for me:

Mordin Solus - Mass Effect, seeking redemption for past mistake and he sings Gilbert and Sullivan!
Starbuck - New BSG, reckless, crazy but no one better in a fight
Han Solo - Star wars, because who doesn't want to be Han

Reactions:
The King of Time, Insane Mad Scientist HOUOUIN KYOUMA

tumblr_mxrtq2fhtY1rs4yfmo1_250.gif

He's an obscure genius who accidentally dooms the world to a dystopian nightmare world and then suffers countless times trying to fix it, bearing the burden almost entirely alone. In the alternate future where he failed, he instead founds and leads a terrorist organization dedicated to overthrowing the time lords who have seized control of humanity.

It's too bad he's a bit of a moron. Spoilered for language:

HYLEkYa.gif

Reactions:
Hari "Caine" Michaelson: At home on Earth, Caine is Hari Michaelson, a superstar whose adventures in Ankhana (alternate dimension) command an audience of billions. Yet he is shackled by a rigid caste society, bound to ignore the grim fact that he kills men on a far-off world for the entertainment of his own planet--and bound to keep his rage in check.

Basically Earth sends "actors" through to the other world whose experiences are recorded and sold as entertainment, they risk their lives to become "heroes" or villains of all sorts. The other world has working magic-like properties so some of it reads like a fantasy book, except not really.

Caine is a pretty interesting anti-hero, motivated by doing the right thing for a loved one but impressively brutal in this pursuit. I kinda like the Earth part of the book too. I guess it's pretty soft sci-fi, but it IS sci-fi! :D

Reactions:
Captain Malcolm Reynolds
This! Firefly has the greatest characters and setting of any Sci-Fi I've ever seen.

And why do people even suggest other people?
Two reasons: Because he's not just a hero (He's a big damn hero!), and because things never go smooth.

Reactions:
This! Firefly has the greatest characters and setting of any Sci-Fi I've ever seen.

And why do people even suggest other people?
Two reasons: Because he's not just a hero (He's a big damn hero!), and because things never go smooth.

Malcolm Reynolds is one of the more interesting characters in sci-fi, but he's really not much of a hero. He's more a borderline villain with a reluctant conscience. If he was in the business of identity theft instead of a smuggler/pirate, I think he'd be content ruining the lives of strangers so long as he didn't see their faces.

Reactions:
FLASH! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE!
FLASH! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! HE'S SAVED EVERYONE OF US!

Reactions:
Fedmahn Kassad, just for head-butting the Shrike, let alone defeating it. Also the part where he sticks his rifle in the Shrike's mouth, and unloads 6,000 rounds real quick.

And Luke Skywalker, for going to the Death Star and telling the Emperor "Soon I'll be dead, and you with me." And the part where the Emperor is like "do you want ultimate power to save your friends, and the entire galaxy?" And Luke's like "No way, Jose. Thing is... I'm a Jedi, and I'm stuntin like my daddy."

Reactions:
Hmm.. Heros... meh..
I will vote vor O'neille.

Reactions: