• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Samolub

Second Lieutenant
Apr 12, 2022
Do you think Austria and Sweden are good allies in Europe?

Suppose that in the first years of the campaign, let's say that at least until 1845 I would like to avoid taking part in any major war in Europe and focus at all on the economy, technology, growth of the country's population potential, or in that case I should avoid any alliances on the continent because my possible coalition partner could get me into some conflict?

Nevertheless, there is still the issue of the personal union with Hanover, which means that we can not completely isolate ourselves, why I think that Austria and Sweden would be good allies, first of all, both countries have considerable military and economic potential, constituting a very strong counterweight to allies against Prussia or France , the swedish navy would be a huge boost for Royal Neavy, and with it the country would be practically safe from any invasion. I suspect that an alliance with Austria could be quite difficult to do and I do not exclude that a good solution would then be an alliance with France or the Netherlands, although here some conflicting interests appear or may appear in other parts of the world and I would not like to strengthen these countries too much.

Good relations with the US are also at stake, but if this is not possible, an alliance with Mexico would be advisable as a counterweight.

It's somewhat dependent on the mod, but if you don't have Splendid Isolation in your game then Prussia is 100% the best ally. Hannover gets removed from being a British puppet within the first few years of the game, so you have no problems with conflicting interests in Germany, and the Prussian/NGF/German Army is almost comically powerful. Still, that's not necessarily answering the question, so -

Sweden is an interesting choice for an ally. Britian and Russia tend to fight for influence in Scandanavia, so unless you want to ally with Russia then a strong Scandinavia is completely within British interests - although a united one would take up your allotted GP ally for the first two-thirds of the game, so its efficacy could be dubious. However, an ally is an ally and a sphered non-GP Sweden is just one more to add to the pile.

Austria, however... I would not recommend. Austria can become the Hegemon of Continental Europe if it gets lucky, but that's a big if, because it typically has to contend with Italy and Prussia multiple times over to attain such a position. I would not seriously consider an early-game alliance with Austria unless that's specifically part of the game you want to play.

It's somewhat dependent on the mod, but if you don't have Splendid Isolation in your game then Prussia is 100% the best ally.
What kind of modifications do you recommend? HPM or HFM or both? Prussia is a good ally, but there is a good chance that a war may break out between Prussia and France, and as I wrote before, for the first 5-10 years I would like to avoid participating in a major war on the continent, even if it is a won war.

Hannover gets removed from being a British puppet within the first few years of the game, so you have no problems with conflicting interests in Germany, and the Prussian/NGF/German Army is almost comically powerful. Still, that's not necessarily answering the question, so -
It will be so, so keeping Hanover under British influence is of great importance when it comes to limiting the growth of Prussian power in Germany, it is rather not in the interest of Great Britain but France

Sweden is an interesting choice for an ally. Britian and Russia tend to fight for influence in Scandanavia, so unless you want to ally with Russia then a strong Scandinavia is completely within British interests - although a united one would take up your allotted GP ally for the first two-thirds of the game, so its efficacy could be dubious. However, an ally is an ally and a sphered non-GP Sweden is just one more to add to the pile.
Just remember that Great Britain has never looked for an eternal alliance, which results from their geography, always looking for balance on the continent, Sweden in the 30s and 40s of the 19th century is perfect and what then will show

Austria, however... I would not recommend. Austria can become the Hegemon of Continental Europe if it gets lucky, but that's a big if, because it typically has to contend with Italy and Prussia multiple times over to attain such a position. I would not seriously consider an early-game alliance with Austria unless that's specifically part of the game you want to play.
In the 18th century, Great Britain often allied with Austria against France or Prussia, as I already wrote, the main goal would be to avoid taking part in a major war on the continent, so regardless of the allies, maintaining at least correct relations with France, Prussia in your opinion, an alliance with Austria can get us into some kind of war? The worst-case scenario would be a war with France or the United States before 1845

Last edited:
What kind of modifications do you recommend? HPM or HFM or both? Prussia is a good ally, but there is a good chance that a war may break out between Prussia and France, and as I wrote before, for the first 5-10 years I would like to avoid participating in a major war on the continent, even if it is a won war.
HPM has so many things that need fixing that I'd recommend HFM if you want to play modded. Though maybe I haven't played enough HFM to find the broken stuff yet.
The Prussia-France war is actually plausible but then again so is just about any war. I think the main thing to bear in mind here is that the only penalty for dishonuring an alliance is a relations penalty with said country. Nobody else cares.
It will be so, so keeping Hanover under British influence is of great importance when it comes to limiting the growth of Prussian power in Germany, it is rather not in the interest of Great Britain but France
I don't quite understand what you're saying here. I think HFM shoves it into Austria's SOI, but otherwise you're still not really going to keep Prussia away from it.
In the 18th century, Great Britain often allied with Austria against France or Prussia, as I already wrote, the main goal would be to avoid taking part in a major war on the continent, so regardless of the allies, maintaining at least correct relations with France, Prussia in your opinion, an alliance with Austria can get us into some kind of war? The worst-case scenario would be a war with France or the United States before 1845
Austria is actually fairly likely to get into a major continental war... are you playing singleplayer or multiplayer here? If you're in singleplayer and you want to avoid continental wars, just don't ally anyone. In the event of someone actually justifying on you for some reason, just park your fleet in the Channel and laugh.

If you're only worried about the early game, Prussia rarely tangles with France before around 1845-1850, often quite a bit later, unless they both get drawn into a war between Belgium and Netherlands (which can happen fairly early). After that, war becomes increasingly likely, but that still gives you a potentially quiet decade or two at the start.

France, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, and Ottomans are all likely to indulge in minor wars against uncivs, which shouldn't require your involvement, but Belgium and Netherlands are usually on a collision course.