Graphics glitches with CK3 on Parallels (Windows on MacBook)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AlRas_2512

Recruit
Aug 20, 2021
Hello everyone, after 8 h of frustration I'm finally deciding to post it here.

I'm trying to launch Crusader Kings 3 on Windows 10 using the Parallels app on my MacBook Pro 2013 (fulfills the minimal requirements by a margin). I'm getting weird graphical glitches with the map and the character portraits, which appear every couple seconds and render the game completely unplayable. Basically it looks like huge polygons appearing on top of the map and instead of character portraits. The other interface details like city names and context menus appear to be normal. On my gf's Windows laptop, everything works perfectly fine.

I did a clean install of Windows 10 today, so the cause may be that I didn't install some kind of Windows graphic package like DirectX or Visual Studio Redistributable (did install both of these though). Or it might be some kind of Parallels problem; however, I've never struggled to run any Windows game on my MacBook with that.

Could anyone help me out with this? Is anyone here playing CK3 on Parallels at all? Maybe you've encountered similar glitches in other video games?

Also: which graphical packages do I have to download on a clean installation of Windows 10 in order to run CK3 successfully? Any info would be much appreciated!

Screenshot 2021-08-20 at 00.15.10.png

Screenshot 2021-08-20 at 00.12.10.png

Parallels version 16.1.2, MacBook Pro 2013 @ 2,3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics w/2 GB video memory. DirectX12 and Visual Studio Redistributable installed, but nothing else.

Some things I've already tried to no avail:

- clean Windows 10 installation on Parallels;

- playing around with graphics settings in the game;

- removing the heightmap.heightmap file to make the map flat;

- updating Parallels Tools;

- launching Parallels with boot flag video.metal=0 (with Parallels Metal turned off).

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    52,6 KB · Views: 0
The emulated video system in Parallels does not meet the game's minimum requirements, I'm sure that is the problem here.

Is there any reason why you are not running the game under MacOS?