Government of rebellion not matching mine

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Caligula45

Private
20 Badges
Apr 2, 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello,

Playing as Rome and having the Dictatorship government, I have noticed that when a civil war breaks out the rebellion has Autocratic Monarchy as government. For RP purposes it seems to me it would be much more realistic if the rebellious government would be a Dictatorship, as the leader of the rebellion would be trying to overthrow and take the place of the current dictator (instead of calling himself a king, which is historically aberrant).

I suppose there is no way to change that in game, so would someone know if and how it can be modded?

Thank you

Last edited:
There are a few factors that affect the government type of a rebellion, typically they will adopt the base type of Autocratic monarchy (if the nation rebelled against is a monarchy), democratic republic (same if war target is republic) and settled tribe (you get the idea). However if previous tags existed in the region (i.e province rebelling was a capital province of a nation) they will adopt the herritage and identity of that nation e.g a revolt in Attica will be an Athenian democracy. Civ level (of capital territory of province, which also determines herritage ceterus paribus) will also determine whether a revolt is a tribe and what type in some cases.

The mechanics behind it are similar to client state releasing but I am unaware if it can be modded. Civil wars behave similarly, only they always adopt the herritage and base government type of the target country, except for the dictatorship tech triggered civil war which is a democracy if I remember correctly.

• 1Like
Reactions: