• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Azhcristokos

Emperor of Greater Michigan
91 Badges
Oct 30, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
Just wanted to tell the devs that I think this update and the ruler designer are great. The RD has a lot more functionality than its predecessor in CK2, aided in no small part by the wonderful 3D models/portraits. The system is sooooo much less restrictive, especially for those of us who don't go for achievements. I don't feel like the RD wants to punish me for creating a legendary character.

One of the best things added though is the ability to create multiple custom rulers that the AI takes over. It's wonderful! I've been using it to keep Egypt Coptic (at first) or preserve Zoroastrianism in Persia to keep the religious dynamics really interesting. It's fun to glance over halfaway across the world to see the descendants of a custom Manichean steppe queen quarrelling in the ashes of her empire, its legacy being a steppe region almost wholly populated by Manicheans.

All of this plus not getting crusaded every 5 years has breathed some real life into the game; the fact that the RD is free is the cherry on top. Anyways, well done, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next!

• 3Like
Reactions:
I agree that the implementation is great, but it could become even greater. What I am missing is the ability to change historical rulers as well instead of overriding them or to create your custom character as part of a historical dynasty - I don't like to go too alt-history. That and the ability to customize your spouse as well, but I see a mod has already been able to implement that. The CoA editor is also sorely missed, of course.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I add my own congratulations to the ones given by the OP. The Ruler Designer could have been a major selling point for any major DLC...

I agree with OP fully. My only gripe is that the handsome/beautiful traits make all my male characters look like drag queens...

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Agreed with the OP. The Ruler Designer is a lot of fun to play around with and the fact that we can still play for achievements is great.

The ability to load presets is very lacking

I'll give you that it's a little clunky, but once you get used to how to do it, it isn't to bad. For me, I keep all my DNA presets saved in it's own .txt file and when I want to load one, I open the corresponding file, copy and then I can past.

Loving it myself too!

Just two minor things that I would love to see added:

1) body types.
2) If, when we select a ruler on the map before hitting the customer ruler button, the designer loaded with the ruler we'd selected's settings. Add a "reset" option too, in case you decide you want to start from scratch. This is only because I'd love to easily modify an existing ruler that I generally love a bit, without having to try to reinvent him/her from the bottom up.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm just glad it was a free addition to the base game rather than a paid for addition. Honestly, my enjoyment of the game has gone up dramatically because I feel like I am playing a dynasty whose origins I can write rather than something already pre-written.

My preferred style is to start as small as possible and build up from there. Being able to craft unique origins for your characters really makes my enjoyment of playing my dynasty increase.