• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Haze340

First Lieutenant
84 Badges
Aug 7, 2009
I'm curious on other's thoughts about the generic decisions and how often they are used. I'm primarily talking about what I consider the Holy Trinity: Invest in National Research, Invest in National Infrastructure, and Create Public Works.

For me, I almost exclusively only use my excess money for national research. If I'm the USSR usually I'll save up whatever I can until the purges and spend what I've got to reduce my dissent. Sometimes Public Works if I'm really swimming in money, but I've only found early-game USA to be the only situation where you can consistently repeat this decision enough while it's at such a low cost due to your dissent for it to be worth it over the others.

The big use for <i>public works</i> is free unconditional slider moves to the right. The other two also do this at max size, but only if you are already half way to perdision.

<i>National Infrastructure</i> also gives +%TC, which can be very helpful.

I'm curious on other's thoughts about the generic decisions and how often they are used. I'm primarily talking about what I consider the Holy Trinity: Invest in National Research, Invest in National Infrastructure, and Create Public Works.

For me, I almost exclusively only use my excess money for national research. If I'm the USSR usually I'll save up whatever I can until the purges and spend what I've got to reduce my dissent. Sometimes Public Works if I'm really swimming in money, but I've only found early-game USA to be the only situation where you can consistently repeat this decision enough while it's at such a low cost due to your dissent for it to be worth it over the others.
Pre-war, as Germany, I was using public works to boost IC on top of what I was building already, as often as I could trade for enough cash from the various democracies. The research event I do only for dissent reduction or research ahead of time.

the Holy Trinity: Invest in National Research, Invest in National Infrastructure, and Create Public Works.

Public Works: Usually I find enough cash to do it only once.
National Infrastructure: To be honest, usually I do invest quite a lot into infrastructure but I do it directly and I am quite picky in what regions. So I never use the "national infra"-choice, too random and by far not as important as research.
National Research: IMHO the best of all 3 choices: dissent reduction, blueprint and small raise in research speed. If possible I try to do it as often as possible. Investment into intelligence funding has even higher priority, though, especially when playing Germany. And there again I go almost exclusively for "industrial espionage" to steal blueprints.

Usually when I play Germany I do a cheeky strategy of focusing my IC on supplies, and selling them to random countries to spend their money on my own research. I sometimes spend money on War Games, not because it's the optimal strategy, but because I like using alternate commanders than the usual Guderian/Manstein/Rundstedt group