• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pgk920

Recruit
Apr 25, 2018
I try to start the game and all that opens up is a tiny window in the task bar. After several seconds, the game music begins to play, but not video and it will not maximize off the taskbar.

upload_2018-4-24_20-1-16.png

I've already tried the basic things like verifying the integrity of the files and updating my video driver.

I'd hate to refund the game, but if I can't get it running I really don't have any other option.

Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks!

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-24_19-58-45.png
    upload_2018-4-24_19-58-45.png
    550,8 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0
Try checking for other programs/apps, that could be causing conflicts

Check your graphics card to make sure it supports directX11. I was having this exact same issue, and determined it was probably because of my card not supporting DX11. Check the output_log.txt file, in mine I could scroll down past the "this is harmless" messages, and then I got a bunch of errors for trying to start directX11 things. (I upgraded my card, was thinking of doing it anyway, and now I'm getting a black screen with sound--progress! But those DX11 errors also went away, so now I'm trying to determine the cause.)

Also, if your card >does< support DX11, and you are using nvidia, try playing with the settings in the nvidia control panel. The very first time I ran the game with the new card (after updating the drivers), it did the same no-gfx-just-sound thing like you are having. That output_log file had shown it was trying to enable some functions and not being successful, so I enabled basically everything in the nvidia panel, and then I got the black screen on future attempts.

Check your graphics card to make sure it supports directX11. I was having this exact same issue, and determined it was probably because of my card not supporting DX11. Check the output_log.txt file, in mine I could scroll down past the "this is harmless" messages, and then I got a bunch of errors for trying to start directX11 things. (I upgraded my card, was thinking of doing it anyway, and now I'm getting a black screen with sound--progress! But those DX11 errors also went away, so now I'm trying to determine the cause.)

Also, if your card >does< support DX11, and you are using nvidia, try playing with the settings in the nvidia control panel. The very first time I ran the game with the new card (after updating the drivers), it did the same no-gfx-just-sound thing like you are having. That output_log file had shown it was trying to enable some functions and not being successful, so I enabled basically everything in the nvidia panel, and then I got the black screen on future attempts.

Well my graphics card is using DX12 and its giving me the black screen thing, any ideas?

Well my graphics card is using DX12 and its giving me the black screen thing, any ideas?
Some people have reported luck using alt-enter at the start of the black screen to switch to windowed mode, and then play with the resolution settings. Didn't quite work for me--never got a window and when I alt-enter'd back, there was now a section of the screen (middle vertical third) that seemed to show an extremely zoomed in section of whatever was supposed to be showing on the screen. It has stayed that way ever since, even on new attempts to run. If I could find a config file or if there are command prompt options where I could try to force a windowed start or else change resolution settings, I'm thinking that might work, but haven't found either yet.

Attachments

• battletechscreencap.png
    battletechscreencap.png
    14 KB · Views: 13
Some people have reported luck using alt-enter at the start of the black screen to switch to windowed mode, and then play with the resolution settings. Didn't quite work for me--never got a window and when I alt-enter'd back, there was now a section of the screen (middle vertical third) that seemed to show an extremely zoomed in section of whatever was supposed to be showing on the screen. It has stayed that way ever since, even on new attempts to run. If I could find a config file or if there are command prompt options where I could try to force a windowed start or else change resolution settings, I'm thinking that might work, but haven't found either yet.
Same here, thats exactly what i tried today. Nvidia released drivers for Battletech so that might help.