• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MadeinCanada10

War Criminal
12 Badges
Aug 18, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
My friend and I used to play Stellaris often a while ago, but he got a new laptop a few months ago, one that should run the game better (and it does when it works). However, the game randomly crashes often.

I've searched around and I've seen some others have similar problems in Stellaris and even EU4, but they're all old and they say it happens at a specific date, which is not our case. In addition, it seems that after every crash, the time until the next crash decreases, meaning the game eventually becomes unplayable.

In the crashes folder, there is nothing in error.txt but there is some content in exception.txt, but I don't quite understand it. I did some research and it seems the files involved are mainly to do with several things like DirectX or not being able to access a certain file(s) (which I think might be the culprit). I have attached a picture of it (apologies for it not being a screenshot).

Edit: I am also thinking it may be an issue with anti-virus, as McAfee previously caused issues for him when he played other games. After confirming with him, he said he does still have McAfee.

Oh and no mods are being used.

Attachments

• pic_of_exception.txt.jpg
    pic_of_exception.txt.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
From that trace the crash is in the Intel video driver. This game is not supported on Intel video systems, but that normally just means it runs slow, not crashes.

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/logs/ folder, attach here system.log

Ah thank you for the reply, I've forwarded the message to my friend and he will do as said tomorrow when he has the time, I'll send the files and everything needed as soon as I get them from him.

Hello again, I have all the files that've been requested.

Attachments

• system.log
    5,7 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    289 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    1,1 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    81 KB · Views: 0
There is no crash in this game recorded in that dxdiag. In fact it's weirdly blank at the end there. Are they having any other problems on this machine?

Note that with an Intel video system, there is no need to run in borderless mode; that issue only happens on nVidia.

It seems a bit odd to me that the Intel video driver is from 2020 in a Windows 11 installation. I suggest they go to Acer support and check for a newer one, or Intel themselves: