• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Thanks for the feedback jecjackal,

Much faster replenishing manpower
Each battle won adds 1% to warscore

Manpower replenishes very slowly (in my screenshots you can see I'm running at zero for quite a while)
Battle victories add to warscore in proportion to size of battle, a la CK2.

No ticking warscore for provinces held in either.

War capacity I believe is a combination of your economy, your military strength, your war exhaustion etc. Your war capacity is low because you are fighting Spain. If you were only fighting Oldenburg, war capacity would be 100%.

I'll hold my tongue about next month's comp at the mo, except to say it's already been set, feedback dependent ;)

Quaren,

Looking forward to seeing your game!

Here's my notes from the first few years of my playthrough, DW5.2 Dec patch:

Mission: blockade Asturias
Pause
Jan
1. buy painting
2.hire privateer and artist
3.one move centralized
4. build 4 infantry, 2 cannon
5. enlist privateers, militia act, dissolution act
6. swap excellent shipwrights for grand army, now at -3 stab
7. alliance offer to switzerland and savoy, royal marriage to scotland and france and portugal
8. take 2 loans
9. send merchants to antwerpen
10. unpause move to defeat rebels
11. all offers accepted
12. Austria declares

Feb
Mission complete, new mission vassalize oldenburg
1 accept alliance with Scot
2 switch admin republic
3. hire more troops

April
1. sack privateer hire trader
2. not a single ally has come to help...

June
1. Spain takes Ghent
2. start building regimental camps

August
1. kill first army, siege ghent

December
1. portugal gives 28 ducats subsidy

Jan
1. give military access to france, england, portugal and denmark
2. swap 4* artist for 6* banker

April
1. ghent falls to me again
2. spain's new army 6shock general leading 25K latin knights...

Dec 81
1. Land tech 23 start building arsenals.

June 82
1. Trading in all major Euro trade goods.
2. hainaut falls, 42k spanish troops in vlaand

July
1. vlaand falls to spain, austrian troops arrive.

Feb 83
1. swap naval NI for NTP

April 83
1. swapped to charge inf.
2. Austria at war with England and Portugal
3. Peace out Austria for 1 SoI and 125 ducats

August 83
1. Finally getting 500 manpower a month

May 85
1. plus 57% warscore with Spain, Spain concedes Antwerp and Brabant
merchant shipping act passed at some point
2. statute on monoplies and importation act passed

ZJuSlXD.jpg

What did I do wrong?
What did I do right?

name1648primarysecondarybonus1648 incomepointsrank
Y2Jonathan132210,953.1102
homy_dog3413-25635.7 (1644)6
Terrantor132210,532.393
XRW1---3,927.71
chgrogers132212,294.1111
Elycion-32-22,629.0 (1644)5
Quaren------
Jalex------
fulic1132-7,953.96
jecjackal132-12,040.16

Any mistakes in this table, please tell me, It's formatting hell!
If I've missed anyone, please tell me.

Elycion,
I still need confirmation about Luxembourg, and a couple of screenshots or something.

Last edited:
ill get it done tommorow think im ganna reload it from an earlier save and see if i can get austria in a pu and get some more income will see tommorow

Hey you guys.

So I had some spare time and figured I'd give this a shot, but some of these objectives go way over my head. War I can do however, so let's start with that:

Netherlands1580.jpg~original

Kicking Spain out of my backyard was easy enough once I took grand army and bumped my army up to 25k. I managed to avoid Austria joining the war with some open borders and marrige, along with anyone else Spain tried to ally. France also offered an alliance since i consider Scotland and Switzerland to be useless allies, so now I'm just waiting until im ready to invade Spain proper before calling France.

France does most of the fighting while I hang back and pick off stray troops or liberate french provinces. Eventually rebellions divided Spains attentions and we were able to push into their lands. I was about to make a decisive bid for their capital, which always changes the AIs tune, but it turned out they were already willing to come to the peace table.

NetherlandsPeace.jpg~original

And this is where I am at! I figured I was doing pretty well so I may as well try for the bonus, but I'm kind of lost in all the objectives. I released Granada so Spain would have a very tempting target to call me into another war with them, but it seems I somehow managed to break all my alliances? Also, should I leave the HRE and continue expanding, or stay in it and try to become emporer? Or just ignore it and stay as I am...

I guess I will continue to fumble my way through, but any advice would be appreciated. :happy:

I think im finally starting to get the hang of this trading thing. Some progress:

Iconoclasm. What a pain! Gold was nice though. :)
NetherlandsIconoclasm.jpg~original

1590! Very frustrating as I'm sitting in a regency and missing out on all the fun! Also I dont think I have ever changed my NI's so much in a single game before.
Netherlands1590.jpg~original

I still have to take a whole bunch of stuff from Spain and Malacca from Portugal. Should I just pick up Unan Sanctum at some point for that? I dont really need quest anymore...

Done:
EU3_50.png

EU3_51.png

EU3_52.png

EU3_53.png

EU3_54.png

the power of PUs :D

Indeed!

Could you give a short explanation to everyone about how you did all this?

And why did you let Spain drop out of the PU??? That would have been fun to see...

What's going on in the second screenie? it's 1642 and England's independent, but you'd just inherited it in 1640?

Indeed!

Could you give a short explanation to everyone about how you did all this?

And why did you let Spain drop out of the PU??? That would have been fun to see...

What's going on in the second screenie? it's 1642 and England's independent, but you'd just inherited it in 1640?

Had to reload becuse i inherited Portugal to early it kills the trade and dident take a Screenshoot when i later inherited em..
edit: it was becuse i dident inherit 2 minor german states actuly sux not getting those plus France and with that old king it was better to reload then have to reload later for say portugal with a young king

on the Spain topic couldent ever inherit em it seemed did like 10 reloads to try and i needed 2 provs of em for the bonus so gave up let the PU drop and just dowed em for the 2 instead..

Its quite easy for Netherlands to pick up PUs i Started with some minor HRE while waiting for land tech 28 for the new units then i just steamrolled France when i could PU em and then i just keept PUing big and small countries really while waiting for 1648 it helped alot that the King was like 55 for the reloads to get the inherits. England isent that big due to me colonising most of NA before em so easy to inherit.
I also stole the HRE by vassalising 4 electors early mostly so i would get cores of non german HRE states and for the extra mag..
I went Absolute Kingdom for the extra mags as i could build more Custom houses and get PUs...
really then i just spammed colonies wherever i could while keeping trade up and just getting more PUs quite easy really i was only lucky that my king got freaking old and i dident inherit. my trade is high also becuse i got my own cot in NA that only i trade in its a 3k cot giving me about 400monthly or so.
I had about 5.6mags a year at the end from sphere and goverment..

Last edited:
Well congrats Elcyion, it looks like you broke my challenge! :p

The challange in itself wasent that hard it was more trying to figure out how to get as much income as possible within the time frame so i had fun a good 8-9 hours spent doing it i think

name1648primarysecondarybonus1648 incomepointsrank
Y2Jonathan132210,953.193
homy_dog3413-25635.7 (1644)6
Terrantor132210,532.38
XRW1---3,927.71
chgrogers132212,294.1102
Elycion132225,210.9111
Quaren------
Jalex------
fulic1132-7,953.96
jecjackal132-12,040.16

Elycion's stormed into the lead taking the 3 point bonus for 1st place seemingly by doing everything I never thought to ban!

I think I'm going to have to think long and hard about the rules for next month's challenge!

There's still time to enter, the instructions are on the front page and hints are now scattered throughout the thread.

The challange in itself wasent that hard it was more trying to figure out how to get as much income as possible within the time frame so i had fun a good 8-9 hours spent doing it i think
Seeing that I couldn't resist checking what kind of income my trade-6 spamming plan would produce:
Holland-1648.jpeg
Almost 33K :) It could've been a bit more, but I was too lazy to wage some war to gain prestige