Game keeps freezing every 5-10 mins, then after 5 mins its playable again.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rezimodos

Private
86 Badges
Aug 15, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Empire of Sin - Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
The game keeps freezing every 5-10 minutes for about 5 minutes, and then I'm able to play again. It doesn't crash. It just freezes and looses conetion. It has been a problem since the second or third patch.

I have tried the following.

1. Reinstall game.
2. Delete All CK3 on the computer.
3. Reinstall after this.
4. Make a clean install of my video driver, after I removed the drivers from my computer.
5. Bought more RAM
6. Bought a new SSD HD
7. uninstall everything.
8. Played without cloud save
9. Played without Iron Man
10. Turning all nonessential graphics off
12. Reconnecting my Mouse and Keyboard.
13. Buying Northern lords in hope of it fixing the problem (It didn't)
14. Praying to the Dark Lords in the deep. My prayers wasn't heard.

I've attached all the stuff you usually ask for.

I hope you can help, but imnot really hopefull.

Attachments

• debug.log
    676,7 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • setup.log
    46,7 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    861 bytes · Views: 0
  • game.log
    63,1 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    3,3 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag 290321.txt
    113,9 KB · Views: 0
Does it also affect CK2, HOI4, EU4 and Stellaris?

During the freeze, what do you see in Task Manager - Performance? Or is the whole machine hung, you can't even alt-tab out?

I see you have had crashes in Xcom, Xcom 2, Dropbox, Handbrake and even NVDisplay.Container.exe - would you say you are having general problems in this machine?

Does it also affect CK2, HOI4, EU4 and Stellaris?

During the freeze, what do you see in Task Manager - Performance? Or is the whole machine hung, you can't even alt-tab out?

I see you have had crashes in Xcom, Xcom 2, Dropbox, Handbrake and even NVDisplay.Container.exe - would you say you are having general problems in this machine?
Hi Andrew

I haven't experienced crashes in other Paradox games. I play alot of HOI3 multiplayer without any problems. I haven't had Xcom 1 installed in several years, and not on this system.

The reason X-com 2 crashed was because I streamed it from my PC to my Mac. Steam streaming is a bit unstable, and not something I do with CK 3. Handbrake and Dropbox crashed once when I turned my PC off, and they wasn't responding, sp they were forced to be shut down.

When its freezing its only CK3 that is hanging, and I don't get any performances spike. I can tab out without any problems. I get the blue wheel ingame.

No I wouldn't say that I'm experiencing any problems with the machine. Its only CK3 that I have experienced crashes.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

If that doesn't help:

- If GeForce Experience is loaded, unload it - any different?

- What if you exit the Steam app entirely and run ck3.exe directly from File Explorer - any different?

- If you have any overclocking enabled, please disable it while we work on this.

Hi Andrew

I've done another Clean re-install. Removed everything associated with Crusader Kings 3, even EUIV, HOI3 and Stellaris.
Uninstalled Nvidia drivers and Geforce experience, and reinstalled them.

I tried playing without steam, still froze.

But with Geforce experince it seems like it works. It hasn't frozen for 30 minutes now. New record.

Ill try with steam, and without Geforce experience, and see if that works. Ill be back with more info.

- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox/CK3 folders
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

If that doesn't help:

- What if you exit the Steam app entirely and run ck3.exe directly from File Explorer - any different?

- If you have any overclocking enabled, please disable it while we work on this.
So it still freezes in Steam with Geforce experience on and off

If that doesn't help:

Damn it didn't work.

It still freezes for 10 minutes, and then after freezing for 2-3 minutes it starts again.

But with Geforce experince it seems like it works. It hasn't frozen for 30 minutes now. New record.
So it still freezes in Steam with Geforce experience on and off
It still freezes for 10 minutes, and then after freezing for 2-3 minutes it starts again.
So unloading GeForce Experience helped for a while, but no longer?

If so I have frankly no idea what could be causing this for you. It smells of a graphics card/driver issue but if that were so why only this game?

Make a new Windows user profile on this machine and try it under that - any difference?

So unloading GeForce Experience helped for a while, but no longer?

If so I have frankly no idea what could be causing this for you. It smells of a graphics card/driver issue but if that were so why only this game?

Make a new Windows user profile on this machine and try it under that - any difference?
It seemed like unloading Geforce experience worked, but it was a fluke

Tried with a new Profile, and reinstalled it all again, and It still didn't work.

Its really weird I don't have any problems with any other games. Its only CK3. It's so weird, and really annoying.

I have to say I'm pretty much out of ideas on this one. Basically it has to be hardware or Windows, AFAICS. Why just this game I cannot imagine, no matter what the cause.

How do you feel about a Windows Reset, or even a clean wipe and reinstall?