• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ivan Rogov

Lt. General
43 Badges
Jun 1, 2004
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Why does the game seem to suffer a huge memory bleed in the marriage selection screen, causing everything to drag?

Upvote 0
It happens with me and I don't know what could be causing it. My machine is a year old with 9GB of memory, an I7 processor and an excellent video card. Each time I click on the shield it starts dragging. I thought it might be my huge court, but paradoxically (no pun intended) it seems to work faster when I have more than six courtiers to marry but then bogs down again as I marry people off. I have a way to capture video of my gameplaying, but I don't think it would appear as evident to those watching.

It happens with me and I don't know what could be causing it. My machine is a year old with 9GB of memory, an I7 processor and an excellent video card. Each time I click on the shield it starts dragging. I thought it might be my huge court, but paradoxically (no pun intended) it seems to work faster when I have more than six courtiers to marry but then bogs down again as I marry people off. I have a way to capture video of my gameplaying, but I don't think it would appear as evident to those watching.

Which game? Crusader Kings alone or with the Deus Vult addon? CK/DV alone or with a mod installed?
You are using the latest beta patch if you use CK / DV:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ch-NEW-BETA-PATCH-released-on-15-October-2008
Do you run any programs in the background while playing the game?

Which game? Crusader Kings alone or with the Deus Vult addon? CK/DV alone or with a mod installed?
You are using the latest beta patch if you use CK / DV:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ch-NEW-BETA-PATCH-released-on-15-October-2008
Do you run any programs in the background while playing the game?

CK : DV. I'm pretty sure I'm fully patched but I'll check. I'm not running anything else in the background.

EDIT: I wasn't fully patched but patching still didn't solve the problem. :(

Last edited:
CK : DV. I'm pretty sure I'm fully patched but I'll check. I'm not running anything else in the background.

EDIT: I wasn't fully patched but patching still didn't solve the problem. :(

As you erred in the matter of the last patch perhaps you could check for background applications again. It might be that you don´t start anything but programs or applications run from the autostart (e.g. javaquicklauncher, antivirus-software, other "quickstart" apps of various programs that try to load a part of a program in advance to later start their program faster).

Do you use Windows XP? If so when you press CTRL-ALT-DEL is there any task listed besides CKDV?
What is your
• Computer brand and model.
• Windows version.
• Total and free hard drive space.
• Video card make and model.
Is your video card one of those that don´t have much videoram of their own but use the RAM of your PC instead?

That you can run the game means that you fulfill the minimum requirements listed on the outside of the games box. But do you fulfill the requirements listed in the manual, too?
• Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP
• Pentium III 600 • 128MB RAM • 16 MB Graphics Card • Direct X 8.1 • Direct X Compatible Sound Card • 4X CD-ROM

Is your harddisk nearly full?
Do you have perhaps dozens (a lot) of savegames from CKDV?

Last edited:
As you erred in the matter of the last patch perhaps you could check for background applications again. It might be that you don´t start anything but programs or applications run from the autostart (e.g. javaquicklauncher, antivirus-software, other "quickstart" apps of various programs that try to load a part of a program in advance to later start their program faster).

Do you use Windows XP? If so when you press CTRL-ALT-DEL is there any task listed besides CKDV?
What is your

ASUS CG5290, 9GB ram, Intel I7 cpu

• Windows version.

• Total and free hard drive space.

Terabyte with 853gb free

• Video card make and model.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX260

Is your video card one of those that don´t have much videoram of their own but use the RAM of your PC instead?

Hmmm. I don't know. Is my card one that does that? The specs from Nvidia list it with 896MB ram.

That you can run the game means that you fulfill the minimum requirements listed on the outside of the games box. But do you fulfill the requirements listed in the manual, too?
• Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP
• Pentium III 600 • 128MB RAM • 16 MB Graphics Card • Direct X 8.1 • Direct X Compatible Sound Card • 4X CD-ROM

Is your harddisk nearly full?
Do you have perhaps dozens (a lot) of savegames from CKDV?

I've considered that and deleted all but the most recent dozen. No effect.

I have a feeling it's because I have a huge court, but I don't know how to resolve that other than "F12 Die" but I'm afraid if I do that something will cause me to be unable to continue.

No that is a definite problem. I have personally had the game crash or freeze after opening and closing the ledger brides screen several times in a row to check the characters out. If I let some game time run between opening the ledger it seems to help. I have thought there was a memory leak or something.

No that is a definite problem. I have personally had the game crash or freeze after opening and closing the ledger brides screen several times in a row to check the characters out. If I let some game time run between opening the ledger it seems to help. I have thought there was a memory leak or something.

You´re talking about something completely different. The original poster mentioned lag in the marriage screen when clicking on the shield to marry his courtiers off.
You mean the ledger with the bride screen that shows unmarried women.

What is your

ASUS CG5290, 9GB ram, Intel I7 cpu

• Windows version.

CK/DV is an older game that was not programmed with Windows 7 in mind - the latter did not even exist when CK/DV was published.

Try to check the compatibility settings of your windows 7 for older games like here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/compatibility

That's an interesting idea, but if it was an OS compatibility issue why is it only happening on the action / marriage screen? Is there a way to quickly eliminate a number of courtiers? I've tried F12+Die but that is extremely tedious and time consuming.

That's an interesting idea, but if it was an OS compatibility issue why is it only happening on the action / marriage screen?

No idea. But as I don´t experience noticeable delays in that screen - and I have a far less powerful system than yours (only 2GB RAM, a single CPU with one core an AMD Athlon 1700+, Windows XP SP3) - my guess is that it´s your OS and it´s settings.

Is there a way to quickly eliminate a number of courtiers? I've tried F12+Die but that is extremely tedious and time consuming.

Your court is THAT huge as in several dozens of courtiers? Strange in my games I never had such a huge number of courtiers due to them retiring because of age, leaving because of lacking loyalty, being sent to a monastery by my event choice or simply dying of the plague when the court is exceedingly crowded. I don´t remember but it might be that those events are part of the DVIP mod I have installed.

Last edited:
I tried changing the OS compatibility to XP SP2...and I got a fatal error when trying to launch the game :(

I don't know what else to do other than play and grudgingly plow through the marriage screen when I have to.