• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Crash

Swalas

Recruit
6 Badges
Nov 29, 2023
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Gettysburg
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris
Everytime I attempt to load the latest save game I've been playing on, the load bar gets to "preparing game", then it stutters, freezes, and exits out of stellaris. I've tried to load the save from two other computers and the same issue happens on them too. I also rolled back the save by a year or so, which seemed to work, but as soon as I left the game and tried opening the new save game the exact same thing happened. I'm on steam, windows 11, my drivers are up to date, I don't use any mods, I don't have any dlc, I'm able to start and load new games just fine(although I haven't tested loading them from a year out yet), and I'm able to join multiplayer games just fine. The support person told me that the issue could be that my save file is corrupted, in which case is there potentially some action that is causing the save file to corrupt since I was able to start a new save file that also wouldn't open? The only thing I could think of that happens from the time the save file can and can't open is my empire finishes integrating a vasal and ends a subjugation war against an empire, and also technically ends a second war with the same empire because there are two war screens after they declared war on the empire that was my vasal, but is now just me again. Is it possible that these events could confuse the game and cause for the save file(s) to corrupt?

If this is repeatable from a save game file, AND there are no mods involved, then it is almost certainly a game bug, I'm afraid. Please make a new thread in the Bug Reports forum and attach that save there for QA to look into.

As for repairing the save, that's not really a service we offer. You might try asking the good folks over in User Mods if they can help, as they are accustomed to looking into those files to find problems.

Good luck and sorry for that problem!