• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Finkst

Recruit
30 Badges
Nov 21, 2023
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War

Integrity​

I have verified my game files (on Steam)​

Yes

I have disabled all mods​

Yes

Required​

Summary​

Game Crashes on MacOS after 1.36 KoK

Description​

The game started crashing on my Macbook Pro 2022 since the release of 1.36 King of Kings. It never crashed before. I noticed the crashes from around the 1500s and can't say they are more frequent the more it passes - as in the more computing power required due to more actions, units, actions, etc.

I'm afraid it may be a compatibility issue or some bugs with some specific actions?

Steps to reproduce​

Crashes happen randomly during the game. I am running EU4 on Steam on a Macbook Pro 2022.

Game Version​

OS​

Mac

Additional​

Bug Type​

• Crash to Desktop
  • Performance Issue

Attachments​

Screenshot​

Wonder if it's linked to THAT problem.

Anyway, it's not the first time an update of EU4 renders the Mac version unplayable, usually it's fixed by the next one. hopefully 1.37 will be stable again.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Are they planning to do anything about the crashing? So far reloading games and playing at a slower speed has helped but it’s quite annoying to have so much invested in a game and not be able to play it without crashes when it wasn’t crashing before. Also I know m series isn’t top of the list for devs but honestly guys it should be. By far one of the best ways to play the game on the go.

This, of course, happens to me as well. As a software developer myself I surmise this might be a memory/resource leak of sorts, since it happens constantly regardless of nation and date and since the game runs slower and slower until it crashes. Running with mods is a sure-fire way to make it crash sooner rather than later.

It's been 5 months since I posted and somehow I feel the crash rate has only worsened. I sometimes have to restart the game 4 or 5 times before having 2 hours fo gameplay before the next crash.

Is there fixing planned?

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's been 5 months since I posted and somehow I feel the crash rate has only worsened. I sometimes have to restart the game 4 or 5 times before having 2 hours fo gameplay before the next crash.

Is there fixing planned?
You'll have to revert back to 1.35.6 for now, the developers don't plan to release anymore bugfixes until the release of 1.37.

You'll have to revert back to 1.35.6 for now, the developers don't plan to release anymore bugfixes until the release of 1.37.
It's just laughable that the "solution" from Paradox is to "deal with it until we push the next major update". You can't play the KoK content without 1.36. So basically, since launch anyone on Mac can't access the content we've paid for... and we're ok with this?

Between this launch and their unplayable Stellaris DLC launch just before launch of KoK, I'm 1/2 ready to give up on Paradox as a whole and stop giving them any of my money because you can't play their games anyways a large part of the time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's just laughable that the "solution" from Paradox is to "deal with it until we push the next major update". You can't play the KoK content without 1.36. So basically, since launch anyone on Mac can't access the content we've paid for... and we're ok with this?

Between this launch and their unplayable Stellaris DLC launch just before launch of KoK, I'm 1/2 ready to give up on Paradox as a whole and stop giving them any of my money because you can't play their games anyways a large part of the time.
Yeah, its unfortunate they decided to leave 1.36 in its current state, despite petitioning for them to release a 1.36.3 hotfix they decided not to. It's not the first time a patch has broken something and being left unpatched for nearly 6 months, so while it sounds pretty "doomer" I'm not really surprised. Priority has always been to release new content over bugfixing and game stability.

That being said if you do want to play the content you paid for you could play a non-ironman campaign and load up the console and type: "integrate BYZ TUR" which will remove Byzantium from the map, stopping the crash from occurring. Sadly you won't get achievements by doing this, but I don't know of any better solutions right now.

Guys, just to reiterate what I've said in other threads, your game will work on Mac if you roll back to 1.36.1.

It's. 1.36.2+ that caused the problems. But it is completely unacceptable on Paradox part they left this.

Guys, just to reiterate what I've said in other threads, your game will work on Mac if you roll back to 1.36.1.

It's. 1.36.2+ that caused the problems. But it is completely unacceptable on Paradox part they left this.
OP mentioned they started noticing the crashes from 1500, so from my understanding, this is not the same ‘Byzantium’ issue mentioned in the other thread, and reverting to 1.36.1 does not work as a fix. I have been having the same issue as OP. All versions of 1.36 (and now 1.37) lead to frequent crashes on Mac OS which do not coincide with anything happening to Byzantium and/or Athens.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Think I've located a corruption in one of my saves. One unit that I click on causes the crash every time. Any clue how that happens? I went to a save about six months earlier (in game time) and that seems to have solved the issue. Fingers crossed.