Game crashes at loading screen after installation on a new PC

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lloyd970

Recruit
7 Badges
May 16, 2020
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
I've bought a new laptop last monday and after intalling EU 4, I'm unable to play since the game crashes afterpressing Play in the launcher. The normal loading screen shows up for a couple of seconds and then the game stops and a crash message shows up (screenshot attached).

I've looked around the internet trying to find the source and a way to play without the game crashing but even after reinstalling it multiple times (even after deleting the files completely before the reinstallation) and reinstalling DirectX, it's still crashing and I don't know what else to do.
Please help me.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    1,4 MB · Views: 0
In the launcher set Display mode to borderless.

IF that doesn't work, please Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

Add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF NEITHER OF THOSE HELP:
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

I tried to start the game after dowloading all the modules and it still doesn't work. I also added EU4.exe in the exception list. Here are the files that you asked :

EDIT : I don't know it it can help, but when I ran dxsetup.exe it crashed. I've attached the log if that helps understandings what is happening with my game.

Attachments

• DxDiag report.txt
    101 KB · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    1,7 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    249 bytes · Views: 0
  • DirectX.log
    145,2 KB · Views: 0
Please update that AMD driver:

What antivirus app do you use? Some need extra steps.

You say dxsetup.exe crashed but there are no errors in the log you attached. Can you clarify please?

I'm using McAfee free trial since it was included in my laptop when I bought it.

I'll send you the logs and the screenshot showing when dxsetup.exe. I tried running it again today, so you'll find the latest entries at may 18.

Attachments

• DirectX.log
    187,9 KB · Views: 0
  • DXError.log
    87,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    295,9 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a windows file access error of some sort:
[05/18/20 10:57:31] module: dxupdate(Mar 30 2011), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 6637, function: CMDXInstall::Install

Failed API: InstallAssembly()
Error: (0x80070005) - Access is denied.

Unable to install Microsoft.DirectX.dll.
Try running dxsetup.exe as the Windows Admin user.

If that doesn't help too, and you still get the same error as that, we'll have to do something a little more brutal. Let me know!

It finally worked! I deinstalled Steam before running dxsetup.exe as the Windows admin. After that I reinstalled Steam and everything worked fine.

Thanks a lot for your help!