Frontier Outposts- Post Asimov

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Papalbull

Sergeant
Oct 26, 2008
It appears that if I want to establish a frontier post in my empire it will cost me 30 influence. I don't know how they determine the cost outside your borders. The cost is not based upon the distance from the border. It is either based upon the distance to your capital or from the nearest colony. I wanted to build a frontier outpost about three star systems away from my border so I could block another empire and lay claim to a prime world. It would have cost me 143 influence. The system adjacent to my border was 60 something in influence.

I was wondering if I just built three successive outposts at the edge of my empire to slowly expand my border to cover that prime world would it just cost me 90 influence. I could then destroy the two outposts between and go my merry weigh light just the credits.

I just can't waste 143 influence to block the empire when it would cost me another 30 influence just to colonize the planet.

I'm 99% certain that it counts only the border projection from your colonies for this calculation. Even if I'm wrong, it would be better to just put your frontier outpost on the system you want to secure; not only is it less mineral expensive but it also would take 1/3 the time (assuming you had a perfect chain of construction ships - unlikely)

Outposts give empire range. You can make an expensive outpost far away to claim a world in another empires border - the colony will be 30 cost.

I wish they appear on the sidebar like planets, ships, etc. Sometimes I have real trouble finding them in big maps. :/
You can hotkey their system to a number if you have any spare space there, but it is not a particularly good solution specially if you are in the late game, running multiple fleets and science ships and with a few micromanaged forge worlds as I like to do.

You can hotkey their system to a number if you have any spare space there, but it is not a particularly good solution specially if you are in the late game, running multiple fleets and science ships and with a few micromanaged forge worlds as I like to do.
But sometimes I can't find them anywhere (after I integrate some empire). :(

I don't have much experience with Asimov. I don't like the increased influence cost to build a frontier station. I was cruising with a 4 member federation when I updated. Almost immediately 2 members left. Then I left and 4 months later my empire, which had already gobbled up a fallen empire, and was about to declare war on two other fallen empires, reached 40% of colonized planets. I didn't even get to experience a crisis and felt like starting over. My last game was all about expansion and didn't realize at the time that each planet added 10% to the science research requirements. I am trying to expand smartly but need to block my neighbor now or go to war. I don't want to fight yet. It seems that their is no viable way to expand peacefully.

Reactions: