• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
V. AN AUTUMNAL KNIGHTHOOD
Late November, 888
In the reign of
Earl Cgeþ of Lindsey
2-8.png

Would that he were the only dear brother we lost, yet Beorhthelm, that old stalwart, has passed also. He died in the presence of all his knight-brothers in the camp while we laid siege to Poclintun, and the Norseman has taken his place as the earl's marshal. I find I do not mind overmuch. I still detest the man, but he is an able servant of the earl, and it is not as though I possess a better mind for war than he. Æthelsige has agree to take up Cenwulf's education, in the spirit of that which Beorhthelm was teaching him.

So it should be obvious that the earl did indeed elect to strike across the Humber. At the same time, that wilesome wolf Hæsteinn (no doubt disgruntled by his losses in the west) declared upon Seaxburh the Young, our neighbour in East Anglia. She was soundly defeated by his veritable horde of Norse allies before we could even secure the East Riding. Now, Hæsteinn calls himself the Jarl of Jarnamóða.

At this stage, however, it would seem he has worked an insult toward many, for he fights many wars at once (though some may be for his allies, I know not but whispers). King Æthelred of Wessex may pose the greatest threat, for he works to reclaim East Anglia at once.

Returning to the matter of our small war: Of battles, I can recount only two. One took place near Leicester hold, whose walls held true for us. The enemy was most soundly defeated there. Near the end of the struggle, not four months ago, we fought again to lift a siege at Notthingham. The battle we fought in the forest was more brutal than we could have anticipated, yet sitll we carried the day (particulary we knights) on this occasion. We also managed to capture a northern nobleman of some station, whom the earl intends to hold until such a time as his kin can afford fair ransom for his release.

The East Riding is ours indeed, yet I know not if I can visit the place without thinking of Beorhthelm's final days. I look forward to seeing him again at the resurrection.

I am weary just now. I shall rest.

A Nordic Toast

With a proud smile, the Norseman placed his hand upon that of his liege. "Now, now thou speakest as a Dane!" said he. "Surely the women of the north shall make war one with another to have thee!" The earl gave a bellowing laugh.

"I should think myself too burdened with slaying their sons in battle to care, Halfdán," came his reply.

"Can it not be both? Thou art a man of silver tongue; mayhap thou couldst slay their sons, and win them over after?" The Norseman, of course, spake in jest, which earl knew well. "Come, my liege! Let us share a toast in the Norse tongue, to celebrate this thine achievement."

- Romance of the IX Century (1543)

A new year again is upon us. To my great pride, Cenwulf has developed a strong sense of honour. And what a strong lad, as well! Even in this his eleventh winter, I daresay his raw might outstrips my own. He is shaping up to be a fine knight, a fact I find bittersweet to my heart.

Youthful DisputationsOccasionally, Cenwulf teases the young lord Leodweard, though not with much aggression. Those times he treats the lord too roughly, young Lady Sæthlinn steps in and finds herself, to my surprise, every bit Cenwulf's equal. Her temper alone gives Cenwulf pause at times, though he never shies to challenge her. I am beginning to suspect he teases the young lord solely because he enjoys scrapping with Sæthlinn. Regardless, it is good to see the Arþifanc siblings get on so well. Even if the young lady oft scolds her brother.

The liege, it would seem, has come to master the Norse tongue. A gesture I appreciate, in consideration of the fact that we are oft engaged with the Norse. What I am less fond of is the amount of time he and Halfdán now spend cavorting in a tongue with which I am only partially familiar. It grates upon my nerves, knowing the man has the earl's ear in a way the rest of us do not. And make no mistake, the earl is not wont to miss an opportunity to practise the language.

This summer has been cursed with thick air. It is with great difficulty that I work my ink to write. Today we have another Norse knight: Hallsteinn Tolirsson, who was captured in the siege of Poclintun, has been pressed into service after coming of age under the earl's care. This one seems a fine enough lad. He speaks the Anglic tongue well, and though his sights be set on treasure and glory, he is an honest lad who has served the other Norseman among our number (that most grating of men) dutifully as a squire this past year.

He is not the most capable fighter among us, but even Æthelberht's sword arm has begun to wither. It is good that we have young blood to replace the old. I only worry that the young boar might turn upon his master, for he has not given up his belief in his pagan idols. I hear it said in hushed gossip that the liege is of a mind to make the boy his envoy, as he speaks both the Norse and Anglic tongues.

Seeing our former neighbour's plight as an opportunity, the earl has decided to tentatively extend an offer of marriage to Seaxburh the Young of East Anglia. He sends Æthelberht on a quest to find the young lady and invite her to take the offer, though he expresses privily his willingness to abandon the arrangement if it seems less than agreeable at a later date. I cannot say as I approve of such a thing, but the former Queen Seaxburh does hold a great many titles in claim, and she is a woman of noble stock. Such a marriage may be beneficial for young Leodweard. Other matches are not so easy to come by, as so precious few follow Paul's teachings. The expectation is that she will accept only because it benefits her at this present time.

Finally, of good report, God has blessed Lady Ealdgyth with another child. I suppose she shall bear soon. For a woman of fourty five years to issue young is no small thing.

A daughter is born to Earl Cgeþ and Lady Ealdgyth this day. They call her Wulfgyth Cgeþdohtor and the midwife's report is that she is as blessed of constitution as her older sister. On the matter of youth, Cenwulf has developed quite the work ethic. I am fortunate he did not take after his mother in this regard! Æthelberht has shown me more than once how sloth might limit the potential of a knight. As he ages he becomes ever more responsible, and I become ever more proud. He is eager to ride to battle with the knights, though at present, he pours his all into helping to maintain our equipment. It is a great help to have him around.

I shall be on patrol soon. I hope to hear good report, albeit I have concern, for Bishop Swegn reports that Catholicism has again taken root in Nottinghamshire. I fear we may never see the teachings of Paul hold in this present time of apostasy, but God do as He will. I understand Catholicism spreads by Æthelred of Wessex's sword as well, for Hæsteinn, encompassed about on all sides, finds himself losing ground in the conflict for East Anglia. I should suppose if it falls, my liege may call off the arrangement with Seaxburh, for it would be folly to try and take the land from Wessex. We shall see where God leads.

The reeve who thought to succeed Æthelberht as the so-called "Knight of Vengeance" has perished of illness. The knights have been called to sojourn in the land and seek a worthy successor. I soon will go as well. I leave this writing should trouble befall me on the road, that my dearest Cenwulf might know my pride I have for him.

Æthelberht has chosen him a successor whom he calls "Worthy of my legacy in every deed and manner." An Anglo-Saxon man of 24 winters who isThe Choosing of Sir Petre called Petre Crawford. The man is a fighter for true, for we all have tested his sword. It seems to me he is not in command of his humours all too well, but such is the calling of the Knight of Vengeance, I must suppose. Time will tell if he is truly worthy of Æthelberht, but I shall watch him closely to discern the thing for myself.

With this man, Hallsteinn, and Cenwulf showing himself a knight born, it would seem the core of our knighthood carries forth strongly. I am most thankful for it, and hope only that my liege shall position his son well. Age begins to overtake us all, and even the mighty earl will one day go to be with his fathers in the grave.

My liege has returned from a fruitful journey to the East Riding, (to which I also attended in his entourage,) where he visited with the people, spoke to them, and heard their concerns. The people are lacking sheriffs just now, which makes it difficult to extract taxes efficiently and leaves them prey to banditry. However the liege has heard their plight and means to set things right swift as he may. The people seemed relieved to have an Anglo-Saxon lord who could understand their complaints.

While we were away, the lady was busy in her own right, organizing the labour force. She also came upon a certain man whose name is Lóeguire, an Irish fellow whose name I have heard uttered in scholarly company further west. He is a poet and a well-traveled man, but more importantly he is a man who knows a thing or two of ails and how to cure them. The liege has appointed him physician for the court (to the relief of Æthelsige, who had long been finding the task challenging indeed,) and has given him no small sum of stirling to attend. The man seems dedicated enough, but I see now with my eyes what others have uttered in secret: That the man be touched with a malady or demon such as causes him to see that which is not.

I shall hope the liege's bodyguards do their duty well as we come to learn if we can truly trust the fellow. (And should the Norseman fail in the task, I may insist upon his banishment.) For myself, I must look to my practise, for we make effort to disseminate the Arþifanc Family History into the North Riding, closer to those lands which my lord's kin once called home. If God be willing, we shall have occasion to steal a valuable shire away from Hæsteinn while he is busy in the south, returning it rightfully to Anglo-Saxon hands.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Wales attacking the Norse was unexpected. Still, it doesn't seem to have had lasting consequences...

It's interesting that the Earl of Lindsey learned Norse. Perhaps this will be a deterrent to future Viking attacks? One can hope.

Also, there's a Paulician bishop? I wonder what the Catholic Church thought of that...

Reactions:
That's an interesting start. It feels very much like a chronicle. The Vikings threaten England, but they shall hopefully be beaten back.

This is a good beginning to an AAR. I mention this since you expressed skepticism about continuing your AAR in another thread. I'd recommend that you continue - commentary is in short supply on the forums right now, but people are probably reading (also, people who want comments are apparently supposed to put that in the introduction - I doubt that will help now, though...).

I look forward to seeing how this develops.
Yeah I came to say that I saw that comment too. You should definitely continue if it pleases you, I've enjoyed reading it thus far and your pictures and writing style are a joy to get through. Most AAR I've read are either narrated in first person or by an omniscient narrator sort of like a history book, seeing it written like this is fairly unique and I like it. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't seem like a lot of people comment, a lot of people are lurkers. It took me many years before I even made an account, never posting but always watching lol.

Anyways, the influx of Norse influences in Lindsey may lead to an outcome similar to the historical one perhaps? A blending of Danish and English cultures coming out of Lindsey rather than York could certainly see the Arþifanc family gain prominence in the island, and maybe gather enough support from both peoples to lead it into an united future.

It would certainly be poetic as the Kingdom of Lindsey was fiercely fought over by Mercia and Northumbria for centuries, always a pawn in their hegemonies. To have England emerge out of Lindsey would be about the most unexpected thing that could occur.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wales attacking the Norse was unexpected. Still, it doesn't seem to have had lasting consequences...

It's interesting that the Earl of Lindsey learned Norse. Perhaps this will be a deterrent to future Viking attacks? One can hope.

Also, there's a Paulician bishop? I wonder what the Catholic Church thought of that...

Oh I'm sure they're not pleased. :) Honestly, my biggest worry right now is that the Catholics will decide we're getting too comfortable and try to take all our stuff. It's very hard to feel safe without alliances.

Yeah I came to say that I saw that comment too. You should definitely continue if it pleases you, I've enjoyed reading it thus far and your pictures and writing style are a joy to get through. Most AAR I've read are either narrated in first person or by an omniscient narrator sort of like a history book, seeing it written like this is fairly unique and I like it. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't seem like a lot of people comment, a lot of people are lurkers. It took me many years before I even made an account, never posting but always watching lol.

Anyways, the influx of Norse influences in Lindsey may lead to an outcome similar to the historical one perhaps? A blending of Danish and English cultures coming out of Lindsey rather than York could certainly see the Arþifanc family gain prominence in the island, and maybe gather enough support from both peoples to lead it into an united future.

It would certainly be poetic as the Kingdom of Lindsey was fiercely fought over by Mercia and Northumbria for centuries, always a pawn in their hegemonies. To have England emerge out of Lindsey would be about the most unexpected thing that could occur.

Many thanks for the encouraging words! Yeah, I'm definitely feeling it now. I may of course eventually find a point where I have to take a hiatus, but I'm getting pretty engrossed in the earl's story now. I daresay I'm attached and I'm getting kinda sad to see everyone growing old, because it means an uncertain future. (I'm writing this as I play. Not sure if that's the normal method, but because of it, there's a real sense of tension. If things go south the AAR ends ahead of schedule, haha!)

• 1Like
Reactions:
VI. THE WELSH HEGEMONY
Mid July, 890
In the reign of
Earl Cgeþ of Lindsey
2-9.png

For Nottinghamshire, my fellow knight Reeve Copsige (though he be of little skill at arms) remains Catholic, but ever fearful of the earl's might. He shepherds Retford wisely, it would seem, for the I saw a great building is in the works. I am told it will be a guild hall where the local craftsmen might convene to organize and take apprentices. The reeve still bears the mark of those wounds he suffered in the battle at Nottingham two years past. A lasting reminder of the dogged resistance Alfriðr's men provided.

I would imagine the young woman possesses no love for my earl since the conflict, and I hear it told that she is quite the cunning one. I should hope God's own blessing upon Æthelberht and, yes, even Halfdán to defend the earl against her schemes.

The East Riding remains wholly resistant to the liege's control, even as he stands as their liberator. Earl Cgeþ makes effort to improve the matter seasonally, so surely in time we shall see change. The local reeve, Sæxbald of Bridlington, is a man of keen mind. A serene thinker on matters of war who infrequently meets with the liege to discuss strategy. He has been named marshal (to Halfdán's chagrin) and I suppose he shall make good of the office.

Though County Lindsey rests mostly at the earl's heel, many here do not care for the liege. It is a majority Catholic county, after all. Reeve Osulf in Grimsby is most displeased he does not have a seat on the council, but I fear nothing from him. He is advanced in years and terrified of the earl besides.

The borderlands north and southeast remain dangerous for travel, though not a strategic liability, the liege insists. I shall trust his judgment in the matter. With Jórvik no longer in control of the East Riding, they no longer share a border with us, which has done much to ease my immediate worries. "Jarnamóda", as the Wolf would have it called, remains at war and is not a threat to us in the immediate. Presently the North Riding is held under guard by some man whose banner I do not recognize. Banditry, I am told, is rampant.

Meanwhile Cambridgeshire to the southeast of Lindsey is patrolled my men showing the arms of the house of Wessex. I have approached these men and discovered they belong to Earl Þoræd of a land called Léon, who is supposedly the son and heir of King Æthelred the Just. I know nothing of the man, though I hope he can be trusted to not turn his Catholic sword upon Lindsey anytime soon.

This shall conclude my report, I think. I will rehease these points and deliver them to the earl on the morrow.

With a bit of coin to spare, the earl has decided to extend some of his wealth to the court in exchange for services. I shall now account for each of these in detail, that I may be mindful of who should be suspected should something befall the realm in any of these matters.

The man called Lóeguire ui Briain has been appointed as court physician, (of which I wrote one month past,) and has today been established as a "court tutor" as well. He facilitates lessons not only for the liege's sons, but for my Cenwulf as well. At present, he works to schedule young Hallsteinn time with Leodweard in order that the young heir (who now lives his eighth summer) might acquire the Norse tongue.

Somewhat related to this is the ill report that Leodweard has been feeling poorly of late. I do hope he should recover soon.

There is, of course, the matter of myself. I have served rather ineffectually as Caravan Master to the earl and his court for some twelve years time. I would say little of this, for I do not feel I am worthy of the fee I am paid.

Æthelberht and Halfdán serve as the earl's bodyguards, for seven and four years ongoing, respectively. Both acquit themselves well at the job, though (I dare not say aloud) I want for yet better protection for the earl. I should not speak so, for I can offer no better myself.

And finally, Hallsteinn Tolirsson has indeed been raised to the station of envoy. His bilingual conveyance of our liege's intentions does seem to have, within the peerage of Mercia, established reasonable standing for the liege.

On the matter of Hallsteinn, I am told the liege caught a letter he wrote to a sister of his. In it he lauds her great beauty and speaks as though she shall one day be a great diplomatic figure of some sort herself, or so the earl tells me. The earl has become quite fascinated with this girl and has hinted to me that he may wish to make her the bride of his heir, should East Anglia prove unattainable indeed. Convincing her to come to Lindsey shall be a task most dire, I would imagine: For the girl is Norse, and most like follows Norse idols. Moreover my liege is her brother's captor and has through coercion pressed him into his knighthood.

We shall see if this bears any fruit, but I will attempt to caution the earl against any rash decisions. Not as though I have the earl's ear in any great way; Nevertheless, as God enables me, I shall speak my advise and counsel.

2-10.png

I worry after Lady Ealdgyth. The dear woman has fallen very ill, and she struggles to breathe of late. If the earl shall leave her in Lóeguire's care, then I shall do the same. I only hope that I yet see her again when all is done. I find myself glad that my son is not yet ready to squire, for I harbour a great and terrible dread that Hæsteinn shall turn about to slay us to a man. God do as He wills.

A peculiar twist of fortunes. King Burghred has delcared a holy war upon the North Riding in the name of Christendom (more specifically, Catholicism) and bit the earl join. The earl has for the time put his own ambitions on hold and agreed to support the king, for he worries that otherwise, the king in his old age might revoke the grace he formerly extended.

On the march to Grimsby, we lost Æthelberht, who had been the foremost of the knights since the passing of Beorhthelm, to a bout of illness in the winter chill. We shared a moment of silent respect for the man beside the road, (for which our king graciously allowed,) before sending his body ahead with Hallesteinn to be buried in the village where he spent his youth.

It is now two knights which we have lost to the ravages of age in the field. I begin to wonder if I am next. I feel steady enough, but fourty-one winters take their toll. Who is to say for certain what God has in store for me? Nevertheless, I will not fear, for I know that resurrection awaits in time future. Whether I die in battle or die on the march, or even if I die beside Tiburge, I know that Christ shall raise me at His coming.

Therefore, I shall continue in the grace of our merciful God so long as He wills.

As I write this, we camp in Northamptonshire, days sound of Leicester hold. Tomorrow we shall make for what remains of Hæsteinn's lands in Britain (for I am told Æthelred has concluded his war in victory) and, God willing, find victory afore long.

2-11.png

About the camp, we are told only that it has been this way "for a while". I know little of King Merfyn, so I inquired about him from the fird composing the western liege levy of the duke. They speak of him as an illustrious king and a faithful Catholic, and as well a man of exceptional diplomatic ability. This may account for his ability to bring Burghred to his knee without a war. (For Burghred has many mighty allies by marriage, some even in Wales.)

The call him a recluse, for he frequently steals away from feasts to be in privacy. They say that before his war against Hæsteinn, he toured Wales in grand fashion making a most august display before his vassals. A man of poise, dignity, and achievement. As well, they say his queen (a daughter of the renowned Karlings of the south) is a graceful lady of superior dignity. By all accounts, a king worthy of the title. Not such a man as I am bothered to call "king" (but for his Catholic pretenses).

King Merfyn the Recluse, Great King of Wales

It is the final day of January, anno Domini 893. I write from a merchant vessel at sea, (near the Bretagne Coast, I am told,) which we procured in Whitby at Burghred's behest. More than one month ago, the host of Hæsteinn was spotted in the East Riding three thousand strong, and it was not the duke's wish to contend with the Wolf himself. Thus we sale for Montagiu, the place he calls his home, to lay siege to his primary holding.

These past months while laying siege in Britian, my liege has been making exceptional effort to soften the duke to him and mend old wounds. I inquired of him as to the past he shared with Lord Burghred, and he was generous to share: It seems that in time past, the earl harboured great respect for Bughred, which was reciprocated. Yet sometime in his youth, the earl was accused in courtly gossip of bedding the duke's wife, the lady Æthelswith. This was, near as I could tell, the beginning of the end for their good feelings one toward another. The earl assures me it was naught but idle gossip, yet the damage was done. (I am not certain I believe him, given his proclivities, my opinion being worth naught.)

About this time the earl sided with King Æthelred in a war against Burghred. It was a time when the Norse presence in Britian was much stronger; the desire to be rid of their threat more dire. The earl believed at the time that Æthelred, who had made many political moves to secure himself, was the best hope for the Anglo-Saxons and all British Christendom, and so he fought to advance the king's power. Even despite this, (though the wound was quite deep,) Burghred still valued the earl's counsel and appointed him Marshal of Wessex (a title he bears to this very day).

It was shortly thereafter when the earl became attached to the teachings of our apostle Paul, which fixed the divide between them. They have been on difficult terms ever since. This war has provided them ample opportunity to speak, the earl being his most logical (and I should say, in my opinion, most sound,) voice on matters of military strategy. I hope to God they find common ground once again and hold it, for I should not like to see the earl taken from power at the present time.

The Reconciliation of Burghred and Cgeþ

The cool sea air danced upon the faces of subject and liege as seafowl circled o'erhead, seeking prey where they might. Both men were silent as they gazed upon the waters. Reticent, not only by matter of the conflict, but moreover by that which stirred betwixt them. At the last it was Burghred who broke the serene melody of the rolling waves.

"I bear aught against thee, Arþifanc."

"I know this well, my liege," said Cgeþ. Their eyes did not meet, for each supposed as though looking the other to the face may sour their mood. 'Twas a delicate cessation of hostility they shared, and they would do all in their power to not sully it.

"Would that thou wouldst merely return to the faith, Cgeþ," said the duke. "I should hold thee as my most prised vassal. 'Twould be no contest, for thou art a man mighty in battle, cunning of mind, and wiser than I in matters of war by a full measure. Wouldst thou but seek confession; I say, whether for what thou didst unto me with mine wife, or for having upset my digestion when thou answeredst to the rumour: Thou knowest, and God knoweth. Wouldst thou do only this, I would wholly forgive thee!"

"My liege, I do not begrudge thee thine vice, but I cannot betray that faith which God hath given unto me," spake Cgeþ to the duke's tension. "I could proffer myself before thy Catholic bishop for a shew, but 'twould lack conviction of the heart. Wouldst thou rather I be true, or a liar?"

"Thou knowest I would rather a true servant than one who putteth on airs," sighed Burghred. His head did shake gently this way and that. "My mightiest vassal, unable to accept the authority of the church... What am I to do with you?"

"It is thy right to do as thou wilt, my lord," said Cgeþ with all display of humility. "God hath give unto you the authority to order me burnt upon a stake, if it be thy desire. Merely ask, and I would deliver myself unto you. I shall not resist thine intention, for I know it be God who putteth it in thine heart."

A period of quiet did follow. Once more, 'twas the song of the sea which carried the moment. Were they sat in the court of Mercia, the silence would surely have been unbearable; yet here, among the gentle roll of the waves, it brought only peace. Finally, the duke's shoulders lowered ever so slightly. He turned unto his vassal, a look of quiet regret in his eye, and spake in the tone of an older brother, "We shall only dwell upon this earth so long, Cgeþ, and I shall not enjoy watching you suffer in Hellfire."

The earl, turning his gaze unto him, smiled and said, "I shall quite enjoy seeing you again when all is made new, my liege."

We have landed in Montaigu, and none too soon, for the sea did not sit overly well with me. I have a mind to write by reason of the splendour of this land. Vast, open plains beside a beautiful sea tinctured in richest blue. Though it is not home, I cannot quite imagine why this land did not suffice for Hæsteinn (who himself is not native to it, I imagine). February here is mild indeed, when compared to Lindsey, which has been good to the fird. Forage and plunder sufficient for keeping the men in good spirit are not very far.

Strategizing with the LionWe arrived in county Montaigu two days past, whereupon we met King Alfonsu of León, who is called "the Lion"; a man I had not seen since the melee in Jórvik, (which is the seat of Jórvik hold, and not to be mistaken for the chiefdom of Jórvik, which now is called Northumbria,) and then I had not known his name. To recollection, he was the man who had led the Christian party in the melee. It would seem the man has joined as an ally of Duke Burghred, the reason why being lost on me. Nevertheless I find it a stroke of sweetest irony that the man who lost at Hæsteinn's melee now returns to win Christian lands back from him.

My liege has had occasion to speak with this king, (as his office as Duke Burghred's marshal brings them into proximity), and describes him as a man of cunning who knows war every bit as intimately as the earl himself. I have seen first hand that he is also quite the fighter, for I remember him leading at the front during the melee; though I would not go as far as to take him for a greater fighter than Earl Cgeþ. He is, however, in superb physical condition, which stands quite in contrast to our liege.

I worry for home. That my wife and son, that the dear lady of Lindsey, and that others still might fall prey to Hæsteinn in our absence. But if this is the liege's will, then I know God has led us here for a cause.

There has been a large breach placed in the walls of this sturdy fortress by the onagers of Lindsey. It is good to know we do our part, for as this is June, I have missed my son's coming of age, and this vexes me somewhat. I shall see him soon enough, I am sure, and a squire no less. Soon this place shall fall, and we will return home, I hope. To what, only God knows.

I write again from sea, for I find myself disquiet in the waiting. As we worked to board our vessels, we saw longships in the distance, no doubt Hæsteinn's. Though we formed makeshift battle lines on the shore, they sailed further south. Our scouts report that they were seen disembarking upon lands further south from where our siege took place (the name of which I would not know).

It does me no good, no good at all, to think that those ships may have included Tiburge or Cenwulf as plunder. I pray daily for swift wind from the south, that God might carry us with haste again to Britain.

The First Ride of CenwulfGod is good! It is November, and it is good to be in Britain once more. My son has ridden out to meet us at our camp beside Leodis (which we must now reclaim, as it was taken while we were away). He reports that Lindsey and the liege's other lands are untouched, and that Lady Eadyburg's health is returned to her. My wife, also, does well. I thank God for His gracious gift today. I nearly came to tear when I saw Cenwulf riding to me beside Swegn, who had also come to reinforce us. He has matured into an even-tempered young man and I daresay has more the bearing of a knight than I, even as a squire.

Today he shall begin squiring for Petre Crawford, for the man he is now the Knight of Vengeance and it is only fitting that the heir of Æthelbehrt, to whom he was meant to be a squire, take him under his wing. Petre, to his great credit, has agreed; though I take from his tone that he is not overly pleased by it.

Before the siege was joined, some month ago now, some man of Hæsteinn's foolishly tried to rally around a thousand fird against us. My liege lead our smaller, more mobile forces ahead of the man army to intercept them while they yet prepared, and proceeded to lead a battle that led to their utter rout. Now with the host of King Alfonsu beside us, I should think that if Hæsteinn returns, we might face him in open battle. I dread for my son to challenge such a man, even in the squire's role, but such things must one day be. There is no longer any sense in sheltering him.

One more piece of new was brought to us, privily with those who are of my liege's inner circle. Swegn delivered the news personally and the earl seems quite intrigued by his tidings, though I know not what they be.

God keep us as we conclude this conflict. May He see fit to bring victory to Mercia today. And, I suppose, to Wales by that measure.

2-12.png

And so three paths lie before us, which the council currently convenes to discuss. First we might seek to claim Staffordshire, a lowland shire with a bishopric. There we might claim a noteworthy place of worship. Though it be not necessary for Christians to have such a structure, (for in Paul's day they met in the homes of the ecclesia,) such a structure may serve to give Pauline doctrine legitimacy in the eyes of the Anglo-Saxon people. However this seems to be the least of the options the earl is considering for various reasons, among them that Earl Whitræd is not a disagreeable man.

We may seek to claim Derby. This would provide a buffer between our future liege and us, for what little that may do to curb any potential animosity over our faith. However it will also serve to draw his ire upon the house of Arþifanc, which I suppose is not a path the earl desires. Prince Rhodri, though young, is heir apparent to the throne of Wales, and goading him may prove unwise in time future.

Finally, we may await opportunity to pursue conquest of the North Riding, as was the earl's original intent. Ivar the Boneless is no Hæsteinn, but he is a more than formidable foe, as history has proven. Indeed, many thought his rule finished not a decade ago, and now I hear he has risen to claim most of the north by means we in Mercia know not. There is also a church here, currently defiled by pagan rituals, and the land possesses a natural northern barrier by way of hill and forest. It still is not the land of the liege's fathers, but close thereto.

So it is that these three shall be our choice, and we shall see which the earl would choose.

I amend this in the evening to include that the earl has decided to attend a tourney in Francia, hoping he might come to a clear decision on the journey. I shall depart with him, of course, and this time Cenwulf comes with me (for all the knights are attending).

We return, (having arrived too late for the tournament,) and what shock met us. Reeve Sæxbald, our lege's clear-minded marshal, saw opportunity while the liege was away: Vigfús Hæsteinnsson, who ruled the North Riding independently after his father's departure from Britain, put away his wife who was much older than he. It is this wife, (who is Ivar's niece,) by whom Vigfús had alliance with Ivar. When the marriage was broken, so too was the alliance, and Sæxbald seized upon this moment.

Conferring with the lady and receiving her approval, the enterprising reeve set upon this moment with haste, lest young Vigfús attain another mighty ally. By the time we returned, Eoforwic was ready to surrender. The North Riding is now in Earl Cgeþ's hands, and Hæsteinn's presence in Britain (so far as my knowledge reaches) is no more.

The earl has rewarded the reeve's discretion with high praise, for he agrees with the decision. The North Riding shall soon be in our hands, and I hear tell that while we were away, this was not all the marshal had gotten up to: For he saw to it that those areas missing sheriffs were shored up in number across the East Riding, and indeed that his duties were executed so well that the people of the region have come to shower the liege with respect for his choice of marshal. Sæxbald has more than proven his value.

It would seem the Earl Cgeþ and Duke Burghred (a title that still feels strange to write) have made amends, and are on quite good terms once more. The duke has even named Lord Cgeþ Master of the Hunt in Mercia, in addition to his role as marshal. He receives quite a stipend for these, and he uses it to make a seneschal out of Ælfswith, the wife of our court tutor and physician Lóeguire.

I finall feel as though the realm is in a comfortable and relatively safe position. I cannot be proud of the work I personally have done in making it so, yet I glory in the labours of my brethren and fellow knights, and of my most able liege. There was a time when the earl held only Nottinghamshire, and was surrounded by vikings and hostile Catholics on all sides. Yet he, by the will of God and the aid of his court, has managed to craft Lindsey into the largest realm inside Mercia's dominion.

Now I shall hope that we can together work to make it more propserous, and pray that God keep us free of foreign threat.

I now will rest.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
It looks like the earl's position in Mercia is secure due to his friendship with Burghred...

Congrats on conquering Viking lands back!

Mercia swearing allegiance to Wales is interesting, especially since Mercia is Anglo-Saxon and Wales is Celtic. I'm surprised these supposed descendants of the Pendragons didn't comment on that more...

• 2Like
Reactions:
VII. CORNERED WOLVES
Early June, 895
In the reign of
Earl Cgeþ of Lindsey

895.png
By the summer of 895, Norse power in Britain was drawing to an end, thanks to the combined yet separate efforts of King Causantín II of Alba and King Merfyn the Recluse of Wales. Importantly, Duke Burghred of Mercia had sent the Wolf running to Montaigu to lick his wounds, though not without hundreds of loyal vigmen and bondí still standing for him.

The proud vikings would not leave quietly, however. In the hour of their twilight, Ivar the Boneless, the last living son of the legendary Ragnar Lodbrok, would aim to be the champion of the British Norse. He and his sons would take up the mantle of his father one last time before the close of the century.

895 - Ivar.png

Having long since been run out of the Hebrides by King Causantín, it almost seemed as though Ivar would disappear from history. Yet with bared teeth and vicious determination, Ivar systematically avenged his former losses one by one, claiming the lion's share of hinterland north of Hadrian's wall, as well as the Isle of Man (which the Norse called "Mör"). He also took a large chunk of territory from his niece, Alfrídr Sigfridsdottir, before a marriage was arranged between the young female jarl and Ivar's son, Eysteinn, which saw them unite against the Christian threats they now faced.

Having taken the throne in 886 following his father's death to malaria, King Domnall II of Alba was not especially the man his father was. His flippant arrogance saw him take Ivar's warband lightly time and again, which in turn allowed Ivar to chip away steadily at his lands in the south. Moreover, where Ivar had many grown sons who proved great warriors (young Eysteinn being the exception), Domnall's sons were yet too young to contribute to his war efforts, while Ivar's sons were exemplary fighters who contributed much. Thus it would seem that in the north, Ivar had the advantage. Unfortunately, the Christians were not Ivar's only threat.

895 - Ireland.png

In 882, Iver's eldest son Sigfroth had launched a three-year campaign of military adventurism against Affraic nic Mugrón, the High Chieftess of Connacht. Once successful, he declared himself an indepentent ruler in the region. By 895, he found himself locked in and race for power with the newly ascendant unifier, High King Dúnchad of Ireland. The 33 year-old Sigfroth was regarded as a madman, known for his quick temper and his conqueror's heart. Following an ill portenet delivered of his father, Sigfroth declared his intent to claim Durham from Ivar. As it was his young nephew who stood to inherit Ivar's lands, he saw no reason to leave very much in Ivar's hands.

895 - Mercia.png

South of all this, Wales consolidated its strength, having swiftly risen to become perhaps the predominant force in Britain. Æthelred the Just, now an old man, still contested him for that title. However Æthelred had only one son, and while Æthelred's own personal power outweighed that of the king of Wales, it remained to be seen if his son would prove an able enough administrator to maintain the might his father wielded. It seemed perhaps the coming generation would be defined by alliances.

Within Wales, Duke Burghred by far possessed the lion's share of strength among Merfyn's vassals. Only two other dukes existed in Wales at the time, and he was allied with both. Moreover, on the back of his vassal, Earl Cgeþ of Lindsey, he counted more than half of the Welsh kingdom as his dominion. The strength of his alliances had unfortunately waned considerably, as King Alfonsu III of León found himself locked in a losing battle with the sultans of Iberia at this time, draining most of his military resources. Yet with Cgeþ close at hand, Burghred still was hard pressed to find a worthy adversary in Wales, and even few outside threatened him.

Would the duke seek to one day restore an independent Mercia? Would Ivar Ragnarsson leave his sons half or more of Alba, or would he wind up with little to leave them at all? What would Æthelred do with the mountain of gold that strained his coffers? What ambitions, if any, would Merfyn claim? Would the Wolf once again bare his fangs toward Britain? It was a fulcrum in history, upon which many a fortune could either rise or fall. Little did Ivar know, his fortunes were to fall rather shortly.

- Record of the Saxon Kings (1993)

2-13.png

Lady Sæthlinn, (now a full sixteen years of age,) is beside herself. She paces Lincoln hold, cursing all and looking for anyone and everyone she might blame. She has been taking maids and merchants alike to task in her fiery way. The young lady is reserved enough most days, but once she has become irate, there is no stopping her.

Sæthlinn's FuryChiefly, she has placed much of the blame on Lady Eadburh, who has long been trusted to look out for the liege's more private concerns. She demands to take her place in this, citing Eadburh's age as making her incompetent for the task. For her part, Eadburh is ever too reluctant to cross her, yet I suppose she does not care for the criticism. (Eadburh has never been overly fond of Lady Ealdgyth, and I suspect neither of her children.) I feel pity for Eadburh, threatened by the much larger and ever so powerful Sæthlinn, but can do little to quell the lady's wrath.

For now, it is enough to rely upon the knights. We will be vigilant for knives in the dark. Among our number is a new figure, Wulfmær of Gloucester. Though I have suspicions in the back of my mind, the way in which he came to be a knight would make his involvement in a murder plot far too convenient. If anything, I would expect that he is wholly loyal to the liege. With this man among our ranks, and Petre and Halfdán (presuming he himself remains loyal) at the earl's side, I pray there is naught to fear.

Harvest is upon us again. I have spent the past two months with Sæxbald the marshal and Wulfmær, galloping about the North Riding and upending the many bandits who made their home in its hills and forests. At the time we took control of the region, these bandits plagued they highways, making trade practically impossible through the region. Today, thanks to the marshal's stellar instruction, I am glad to say the highways are quite safe for travel. Now Swegn can come and, God willing, use the church in Whitby as a place from which to spread the gospel of God's grace in a way that will have lasting presence in the minds of the local Catholics. Catholics do like their temples, after all.

While doing my patrols, the people of a region known as Richmond often spoke with concern regarding a heathen host that has been seen patrolling the hinterlands. After investigating the matter, Wulfmær found these men to belong to Ivar the Boneless, son of Ragnar Loðbrok. It seems he now controls a considerable jarldom he calls Lothian, having taking the hinterlands from Northumbria. Would that we were still dealing with Alfriðr alone. Now we must deal both with her and that man, whose savagery is legendary.

The liege has begun sending favourable letters to Earl Sælræd of the West Riding, our neighbour in the region. It is his hope not that the neighbouring earl shall prove worthwhile ally, (for his realm is very small,) but rather than he shall keep himself in check. We need no more knives to the back if we are to rival Ivar Ragnarrsson.

Finally, I am told a raid came from the sea to despoil Lindsey, but the hird were raised and easily repelled them. It is good to stand in safety after so many years spent fearing the viking axe.

Winter has set in. Lord Cgeþ has begun acting strangely about the hold, and the lady worries for him. Alas, I can do little for him. He is wholly in God's hands, with or without my intervention, and I only see him rarely these days.

Sæthlinn Becomes Spymaster of LindseyTwo weeks ago, Eadbuh Beornreddohtor left us peacefully in her bed. After seventy years of loyal service as my liege's advisor, she has joined her father in repose. Now another must fill her role, and young Lady Sæthlinn has thrown her weight about in court to ensure it will be her. She is at least as able as Eadburh, in my opinion, and certainly trustworthy. I only hope she does not place herself in danger in course of chasing leads regarding the Wolf and his schemes.

In the wake of her passing, the earl has become erratic. The man once so steady has become fickle, his mood changing with each shift of the wind. Sometimes, the lady tells me, he stares out his window blankly with no concern for what is happening around him. He has been seen about the hold speaking with cats in their own tongue. Loathe as I am to admit it... I believe the earl is taken by a demon of some sort. I know not how, but how else can such things be explained?I shall pray God soothe his mind and bring him back to us whole. Fortunately, young Lord Leodweard has become quite the capable administrator of late. I believe he shall serve well should the liege become unable to fulfill his duties. Under the tutleage of his parents and Lóeguire, he has matured into a fine man. Fit, strong, and able-minded. He never loses his temper and thinks all matters through with due consideration. I believe he will make an excellent earl one day.

Having found no more worthy suitors, we are told to go ahead with the marriage to Lady Seaxburh, only to realize we cannot find her! The lady's travels have taken her God only knows where, and now the young lord is without a wife. Hallsteinn and my son have been sent to search for her, but will they find her? Does she even live? I know not. It may yet be that the young lord will have to find another wife.

As spring arrives, it finds the earl in poor health. From where I stand he almost looks dead already, yet his countenance remains undisturbed. The delicate and attentive care of Lady Ealdgyth is no doubt doing wonders. Even in his taken state, she shows her love for him. Likewise, the leeches administered by Lóeguire, I am told, worked wonders.

The earl refuses to stop. Even in this present state, he has taken to riding with the knights of late. He still oversees the training of the hird himself. While marching on patrol with the hird last week, I am told the liege came upon an old ruin. Eagerly tying it to the time of his forefathers, he and the men searched the ruin thoroughly and came upon a small fortune in untouched treasure.

After conferring at length with his council, it was decided that the treasure should be invested into bastions and curtain walls, the like of which Leicester Hold possesses. This will help keep Lincoln (and thus all of County Lindsey) secure against future raiding, and should also serve to improve the overall value of Lincoln as a parcel of land. I am told the construction should like to take four or five years, yet Lady Ealdgyth's efforts with local guilds have motivated the labourers such that I wonder if it will not be done much sooner.

I should also like to remind myself that Lady Wulfgyth, youngest daughter of Lady Ealdgyth and Earl Cgeþ, has begun her education. I understand Lóeguire has taught her the language of his people, which may prove useful for the realm in time future. Indeed, as Lord Leodweard already knows the Norse tongue, it seems our next generation shall be able to communicate with the whole of Britain! (But for the Brythonic tongue of King Merfyn, of course. Would that we had a tutor to teach our youth this.)

On the matter of the realm, I would make note that Queen Ermentrude, wife of King Merfyn, has reportedly died in imprisonment. The whispers about Duke Burghred's court are that she was a fornicator not once, but twice, against him. For the part of the duke, his marriage remains true. However I am told the last time Earl Cgeþ saw him, the duke he found himself barely able to stand. It is to such an extent that the peers of the duchy have taken to calling him "Burgrhed the Feeble". To my knowledge, the earl has not joined in such proclivities.

2-14.png

That Rhodri could be won from his own father by such paltry titles is an affront to any sense of kindred. My liege, whose forefathers bear him Welsh blood, would surely not suffer such a slight. Though now, in his state, I know not what he shall make of it. Lady Sæthlinn has been dispatched to see what she might uncover about the whelp, in case we should be able to wield aught against him.

Forgive me, my wife. I mean not to disparage your people, but I already sold my sword to the Norse once before. Having since lived an Anglo-Saxon knight for so long, I will not suffer our son to be subject to a people who are not his own.

King Rhodri, heir to King Merfyn

Some lord or another in Francia has extended invitation to the earl to join a contest of wrestling. The earl sees this as an opportunity to spy out the Franks and measure potential rivals in the future. We have Hired a certain woman whose name I know not how to write; a Frank, and an accomplished sailor who might see us clear of Hæsteinn's longships while we sail the coast of Wessex. I shall also ask ahead that we might avoid any dangers unique to Francia once we've arrived on the Continent. I would rather we not go at all, but the earl is purposed, even in his time of ailment.

The earl leaves Lindsey in the care of Lord Leodweard with instruction to concentrate on the realm's propserty (a matter of which I should say Leodweard is more versed than his father).

I write from sea. Today a bird consumed most of our supplies, leaving me with quite the task ahead as the liege's caravan master. I must somehow find a way to keep the caravan supplied on the road without those rations. The earl wished to slay the menace in anger, but was stopped by our captain, the Frankish woman. I have lived with Tiburge long enough to glean that the woman believes a defecating bird to be an ill omen. I suppose she did not want it to come to pass, should my lord slay it.

The liege yielded to her "expertise" on this matter, though he has been most irate since. I have not seen him so furious at being unable to act since he nearly drank Hæsteinn's poison. Fortunately, the sweating he has done seems to have burned away his fever (God be thanked). On mention of the Norse, I believe I have heard the sailors say that Ivar the Boneless has been slain, and some Iberian rules in his stead. We shall need to investigate this matter when we return.

Tonight I write only of one thing. As we pass through the county of Lille in Francia, Cenwulf reports having heard of a land within the same duchy, its stronghold compassed about by a Norse horse bearing the shields of Clan Hæsteining. The Wolf still bares his fangs. we should leave swfty; And mayhap it would be wise to return through the western duchies and then through Wessex, rather than risk a confrontation.

In my practice at the tourney, a wound befell me that I worry I shall not recover from. Nevertheless, I will write.

My liege is truly impressive. At the age of fifty-seven, he barreled through several Frankish men in their prime very much like the boar that is his house's charge to easily win the tournament. By the end, even many of the Catholic lord of Francia saw reason to applaud his efforts. To see the liege brawling his way through his foes with bare hand reminded me just what a menace he used to be on the battlefield. In the semi-final, he actually killed his opponent with his bare hands! Sheerly by accident, to be sure; he had no knowledge or quarrel with regards to the man.

By some manner she will not speak of, Lady Sæthlinn was severely wounded. It is fortunate (nay, but a blessing) that Lóeguire was with us, else I worry she may not see herself home. Her wounds have been set and sutred and she moves well enough. I cannot say how long it will take her to recover fully. What on earth could have caused such injury? I am told she gave her favour to Count Dietmar of Trent in the tourney. Perhaps a jealous rival?

Well, if this journey has taught me one, lesson, it is this: Francia is a dangerous place to be a Paulician lord. I issued command to Cenwulf and Hallsteinn to investigate the surrounds while the tournament was underway, and they returned with word that a great many local lords might have cause to bring evil upon our party should we give occasion. Even the host, Count Nicolas of Bourbon (who I was surprised to learn is hardly older than the young lord Leodweard,) gives me cause for concern.

I will plan our return carefully around these more ruthless lords. As we saw several thousand warriors marching north on our way into the host's domain, I should think Francia is not a safe place to be in general just now. I will be glad to be home, should I survive the journey. Should I not, I hope one of my fellow knights can take up my role and navigate the liege and his entourage safely home.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Ivar seems to be making a comeback. When will he be brought low?

Being forced to serve Francia would... not be ideal, let's say. Maybe the lords in Britain could organize a revolt?

The sheer irony that the only tongue the descendants of King Arthur don't speak is the language of their forefathers...

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Very interesting AAR!
Are you using Stable Diffusion img2img to touch up the portraits and event scenes? The results are great i must say.
Care to share your secrets? ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
VIII. CHANGES AND CHOICES
Early August, 897
In the reign of
Earl Cgeþ of Lindsey

2-15.png

At this stage, I feel compelled to write a word or two about the earl's children.

Sæthlinn, Daughter and Spymaster of Earl Cgeþ

Lady Sæthlinn is very much like her lord father in every physical regard. A tall woman of powerful build in stark contrast to her mother, blessed by God with great strength and exceptional fortitude. Unlike her father, however, she is quite the firebrand. (She takes after her tutor, Bishop Swegn, in that regard.) The lady has a weakness in the realm of courtly manner which she hides by simply keeping silent on most occasions. However when she seeks cause to speak, she speaks so a assertively as to terrify many of the smaller courtiers (myself included, I am ashamed to say,) and stubbornly rebukes even the earl should he oppose her ideas. She is, in a word, a handful. Nevertheless, the liege has always been very partial to her as his firstborn child.

Leodweard, Heir to Lindsey

Her brother Lord Leodweard, (of whom she is most fond,) is her very opposite. Calm, quiet, and even-tempered, the lad is a fine example of thoughtful lordship, much as his father once was. Perhaps because Lady Sæthlinn fought most of his battles for him, the young lord is rarely seen engaging in physical pursuits. Instead he prefers matters of contemplation and accounting, spending much time in Lincoln hold with his mother. He is a learned youth versed as much in Norse and Goidelic speech as his own Anglic tongue. His engagement with Lady Seaxburh has been broken, as we still have found no trace of her as the young lord approaches his eighteenth spring. Of late I have found myself speaking frequently with him. I find him an easy confidant, and for reasons I cannot fathom, he considers me his closest advisor on personal matters.

Wulfgyth, Last of Ealdgyth's Issue

The youngest daughter of the earl, Lady Wulfgyth, is as raucous as was her sister at her age. She finds herself under the direct tutelege of Lóeguire, and I shall hope he is able to instill a sense of purpose behind her energy. He has time and again proven himself a hard-working man, so I am hopeful of it. I have heard him praising the young lady's quick wit to the earl at dinner, and I hear the village children speak as though her strength might rival that of her sister. (Would that it were meet to send noble daughters to battle!) Further, she too has mastered to Goidelic tongue. I am told the tutor instructs her on the finer matters of courtly life. We shall see how such lessons hold for a girl of her temperament.

Now I would write about another matter, concerning what happened on the road home from Francia. Somewhere in Scatijon, we came upon a man who offered to tell the liege what was to come in his travels, and the liege took hold of him and commanded that he should join us. This man, Jaufré, could have any intention whatsoever and I do not like his presence. Yet none of us had heart to tell the earl our mind, for fear of the sudden shifts in his disposition since the fell spirit took hold. And that is not the only strange outcome: But my liege took to himself a woman named Charlotte in the bishopric of Løn, (a woman whom I feel has quite the average appearance, though I digress without point,) as he waxed poetic and oblivious to his wife's presence about how the women of Francia are a cut above all others. I fear he has sinful intentions with her.

I needs held my tongue then, but here in writing I shall unburden myself of this thought: The liege has dealt despicably with his fair wife this day. I lament to see it, for Lady Eadlgyth is my dearest friend, yet I cannot voice my disputation with the earl directly. I am a knight, and he is my liege. This is the way of things. Nevertheless, I pray God remove this Frankish wench from the liege's heart with haste, for Lady Eadlgyth deserves his full affection.

Now I must rest, for my infirmity is great and my hand grows weary. I shall entrust my son with my knightly duties while I remain injured. In mere months he shall graduate to full-fledged knighthood, and it is my hope that God allows me to live long enough to see it.

The Marriage of Sæthlinn and WulfmærSeeking a marriage through the female line for his second-in-line, (for the young lord is still without a suitable candidate to wife,) Earl Cgeþ has given the hand of his eldest daughter to his loyal man, my fellow knight Wulfmær. He returned only briefly from the siege camp in Northumberland that they might be wed at the abbey at Whitby which is in the North Riding, where before God and the realm, it was agreed that all her issue should be born to the house of Arþifanc. A cunning maneuver, for it makes sure the line of succession and chooses a man whose absolute loyalty will not see him reject the idea.

Among men, there are few I can think of who might be more suitable for the lady. In the time I have known him, (albeit this time has been short when contrasted to many of my fellow knights,) Wulfmær has been a gracious and considerate man, ever mindful of the least of Lindsey's servants and supportive of his weaker knight brothers. I find I have no objection to the liege's decision. May God grant them many children and a contented union.

I am told a letter has arrived from none other than King Æthelred of Wessex which details to the liege a mutual hatred for Count Hæsteinn. This is of great interest to the earl who seems to possess some keen plan, though he will not speak it to anyone. I worry what this may mean, but dare not press the matter, as I am a man greatly inferior. Word also arrives this fine summer of a great victory won by Reeve Sæxbald over the heathens in the north. It has been past one year now, and the marshal's report has been naught but good. He supposes they might secure victory by next spring.

Supposedly, an enemy champion gravely wounded Wulfmær and he now rides to Lindsey to recuperate. I hope God keeps him on the road home.

God is good! Today my son, my most treasured Cenwulf, has become a knight. With the great beard he now boasts, I should say he resembles greatly Earl Cgeþ in his prime! (Though much smaller, I will confess.) I was moved to tears at the ceremony, which both he and the liege executed masterfully. Should I die, whether of these present wounds or to a Norse axe, I die without regret now that I have seen him to his full measure. Praise be to God.

2-16.png

For my part, I am glad the woman is gone. What fitting irony that God should use a heathen (and one most reviled in Lindsey) to remove this stumblingblock from before my liege. Nevertheless, I know not if he shall recover from his quiet fury. It is difficult to say what is within the earl's mind these days. Nevertheless, this will be for his good in the end, of that I am sure.

Lady Ealdgyth is beside herself with grief, but I am told she intends to speak of the matter with the earl to his face. May God give them both grace.

I must write that great fortune has come of the whole affair. The lady's tearful plea moved the heart of the earl and has caused him to, so he speaks, give up chasing after the imprisoned Frankish woman. The two seem to have mended their relationship. I find myself quite proud of my dear Lady Ealdgyth for her poise in this matter. The regard the whole realm of Mercia holds for her, (even despite her so-called apostasy,) rivals that of the very Duchess Æthelswith. God has elevated her from such humble beginnings to great stature in Mercia, and I am pleased to call her my friend.

Today Wulfmær has returned, bearing the true sign of his wounds. It is remarkable he made it all the way across the North Riding in such a state. Lóeguire has provided treatment, but warns that his wounds lingered long enough on the road that he cannot guarantee the efficacy. I shall pray for the man. It brings to mind my own injuries, which God has seen fit to heal, though I feel their lingering effects even now.

We all grow old, and that time fast approaches for me. I wonder how long God shall leave me alive? Until He has no more need of me, I suppose. I have lived to see my son become a knight for true, and that was my entire heart's desire. Yet I will linger so long as He has a purpose for me in life.

2-17.png

Of further interest is the arrival of one Gwydol Llwewllyn, a Welshman who had been visiting the court of Prince Rhodri (I do not call him "King" just now) while Lady Sæthlinn was investigating. One way or another, she was able to bring him back with her. Those who have had opportunity to speak with him tell him to be an incredibly charismatic fellow, gentle in manner and easy to make communion with. I know not what the lady has in mind for him, nor is it my place to know. Perhaps, at the least, he might teach us the tongue of the earl's ancestors.

My writing shall likely be scant until this war has ended, for the knights must needs prepare for conflict as this struggle spills into the earl's domain.

January (anno Domini 899, a new year once again,) has come, and I am able once more to write. A battle was joined at Cottingham in the North Riding in which Princes Cadell and Idwal of Wales swept the foe from our lands with haste. Shortly thereafter, word arrived that Duke Burghred had won his war and claimed County Dunholm for himself. It now lies in the hands of his son and heir, Beornred.

Now gossip tells Beornred to be quite the vicious young man. I know not of the veracity, but I know that the earl harbours no particular love for him, nor he for the earl. I feel as he will not enjoy serving the boy, nor will he enjoy being bordered on two sides by him. I know not what he may plan to escape this affair, however.

Beornred Burghredson, Heir to Mercia

What is more, the petty lords of Wessex have already begun to make war with one another in the south, not far from County Lindsey. They seize upon the death of their king like vultures, each seeking his own power in the absence of just and steady rule. We shall see what sort of man King Thoræd is by the quality of his solution to this situation. Until then, we knights must prevent their conflict from spilling into the liege's lands, to which end Cenwulf and others will soon ride for patrol. (For myself, I am among those given a different task.)

As of yesterday, construction of the curtain wall about Lincoln has fully concluded. My liege's home is now well fortified against the predations of would-be vikings and Catholic rivals alike. I spoke at length with Lord Leodweard regarding the newfound safety, and he could speak only of plans for further development he hopes to convince his father to pursue. He envisions the disparate farms of County Lindsey developing hamlets, that the fields may grow and together thrive. However the earl, ever the man of war, has his gold set aside for martial affairs: He stands down our onagers and instead raises one hundred choice warriors as huscarls to himself, under his personal command.

I am soon to go and help the marshal recruit these able men, and they will train with the earl himself until they are worthy of his standard. I, too, have joined this era practise in training with Reeve Sæxbald and have found myself taking to the blade like never before. Even with my infirmity, I find that there are ways to wield a sword that I had never considered, and my skill at arms has sharpened for it. Would that I had known these tricks in my youth. Though I be older now, still I feel that this training shall make me quite useful to the earl, should war come to us anew.

The Earl's Housecarls in Training
"Hark! I am Cgeþ Arþifanc!" The old earl's voice carried across the clearing like sudden thunder. Even at this age, his command carried such weight as to buckle the knees of a timid man.

"I have kept this land for two and thirty years! I am Cgeþ Arþifanc!" he spake again. "Upon my shield hath the axe of many a Norseman failed! I am Cgeþ Arþifanc! I have faced the Wolf of Montaigu to the face, and lived!" His discerning gaze walked one end of the line to the other, his veteran eye searching for weakness. "I am Cgeþ Arþifanc!" he spake once more. "And ye are my housecarls!"

Though some of the men might swell with pride to hear such, the mighty earl wast quick to put them to place: "If so be that ye prove worthy. Shew unto me the unfailing strength of the cornered boar, the reckless might of a bear at the hunter's spear! Be as a wall unto mine enemy, a curse unto the farthest shores of Odin's wicked demesne, and I shall be unto you as a father. Ye shall want for naught in my care!" He gave pause as he tried the lot again with iron gaze. "Yet as many of ye prove unworthy, ye shall be cast out. Shouldst ever a man of this company prove himself unfit, let him be as good as an exile unto us! Ye are the housecarls of Cgeþ Arþifanc, and of mine heir. Except ye should exceed the might of the Danes, I shall give no coin nor place unto you!"

Standing by with arms folded o'er his considerable chest, Halfdán spake unto Hallesteinn, the younger knight, in their common Norse tongue, saying, "See now. This is a man worthy to be followed. Mighty as an autumn storm, and cunning as any wolf. Let Odin, Þórr, Fenrir, your mightest gods and monsters try him, and he would slay even them by his own hand." Hallesteinn met the earl's back with a scowl, yet he found no protest in his throat; For there in that moment, Hallesteinn knew of a truth that his earl was not like other men.

As winter broke this year, the earl desired a hunt. We rode together to Sherwood forest where Wulfmær, as the liege's newly acclaimed "master of the hunt", advised the liege that a roe deer was found nearby. Earl Cgeþ, for whatever cause, chose instead to pursue wolves. I shall not write of the matter in detail, for I do not wish to remember it overmuch. Still, it was good to be out together as knights and liege, riding as we used to in battle. For now though, I must rest, for the hunt took much out of me.

A successful hunt was not to be, but it was good to get out.

Lord Leodweard came to me this evening on a certain matter. I write it now that I may make it clear within my thoughts, so that I might better advise him. The earl has mentioned three women to the young lord as potential matches for him. He seeks the young lord's input, as a man who is known for his careful consideration and as the future Earl of Lindsey. He, in turn, has asked my counsel (as though it were worth the ink). Though I am of no particular education on the qualities of a good wife, I nevertheless will endeavour to provide the best counsel God enables me to give.

Firstly, quite locally, there is Margaret Gospatricdohtor. She is the youngest child of a reeve in Northamptonshire, not a couple day's journey south of our Leicestershire. Lady Sæthlinn (who herself has taken quite the interest in this outcome) has met with her personally and reports her to be a woman of good manner, who speaks boldly and involves herself intimately with the workings of her borough.

Her father's diminutive holding would offer little by way of alliance, though Lady Ealdgyth tells me her town is known for their expert carvers, which may lend some small benefit with the nobility were she to marry the young lord. Of greatest importance would be her social prowess. I am told she spends most of her days in negotiation between the crafting guilds of Kettering, mediating disputes and ensuring their fees are paid in timely fashion. She is also somewhat studied in the Scriptures, (though she is, of course, a Catholic,) which can only be a boon.

Next I am told of a woman of sixteen summers from Alba. I dare not even attempt to write her name correctly, though I know she is from the House of Comgall, a house of noble standing in the north. I am told her eldest brother died most gruesomely in battle with the heathen Norse. While I know little of her, I understand the liege's interest to reside in the fact that her mother (who is court physican to her son, one of Alba's lords) is known to be a woman of exceptional physique, and by all accounts, her twin brother has inherited that blessing. If so be that she has the same, the lady would be a great boon to the Arþifanc bloodline.

Finally, there is a most mysterious option. King Alfonsu III of León, (with whom my liege has in past time had communication, as a fellow warrior against the Wolf of Montaigu,) having heard of the young lord's spousal plight, submitted to us a name: Mumadona Berenguelez de Trava, the daughter of a vassal's steward, said to be of girlish appeal and to take somewhat after her father in her understanding of wealth.

More than this, she is a lady of exceptional courage with a fascination for warfare and indeed an education in such matters. It is said in the king's letter that she "may as well train the chancellor's soldiers herself," though I know not what is meant by this flavourful language. As Lord Leodweard does not share his father's zeal for battle, having such a woman to his aid in martial affairs may be very beneficial, should Beornred prove a less merciful duke than his father. (I should also say that she is reportedly the favourite choice of Lady Sæthlinn by reputation.)

I shall consider each of these with due diligence, though even as I write them, I know not what I shall answer. Each bears her own benefits and shortcomings in a union with Lord Leodweard. I shall be sure to inform the young lord to take the counsel of several others into consideration, for I do not feel equipped to solely decide this matter for him. God give us all wisdom in this important decision.

The century shall in only three seasons draw to a close, and with it, I can feel this present generation beginning to fade into the background. Soon it will be Lord Leodweard, Lady Sæthlinn, my beloved Cenwulf, and others of their like who shall dictate the course of Lindsey's future. While we yet bear time, we of the former guard must do all we are made able to position them powerfully, that they may not be overtaken by foes present and yet to be revealed.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Very interesting AAR!
Are you using Stable Diffusion img2img to touch up the portraits and event scenes? The results are great i must say.
Care to share your secrets? ;)

I am indeed! I posted a little tutorial over here, though sorry in advance if it's convoluted. My workflow is such a mess that it simply couldn't be screencapped. :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
IX. STRIFES IN TIME OF PEACE
Early April, 899
In the reign of
Earl Cgeþ of Lindsey

The Council Chooses a Bride
Long into the cool springtime evening, the privy council of Earl Cgeþ of Lindsey has stood about the table, bickering this way and that. Finally, in a sheepish tone, the earl's steward Reeve Copsige of Retford clears his throat. "M-my liege," he stammers, "should we not convene? It has been... many hours." The earl shoots him a quiet glare that quickly bows his shoulders.

"I will not miss this opportunity," says the earl in a sort of growl. "I will have this done, with or without your advice. Now who is too tired to give counsel?" Scanning those about the table, he finds no answer.

"My liege, let us rule out one," says Sæxbald the marshal, having worn his full kit the entire session. "It will be easier to debate two rather than three. I submit that we ought to relieve the Alba girl from the list, for we know naught of her for certain. Further we do not know where, precisely, she is just now." The councilors look one to another, each eventually taking their turn to nod their agreement.

"Very well. The Alba girl is stricken from the discussion," the earl bellows with a dismissive wave of his hand. He then leans forward, resting his hands on the table to give his councilors a more eye-level look. "Speak of the other two. Submit your proposals. And for the sake of fair Lindsey, Copsige, speak plainly." The Reeve jumps a little, eyes darting to his liege, then away. "There can be no advice if you don't speak."

"Y-yes, milord. Of course, milord..."

A brief moment of silence follows.

"... Well?" grunts the earl, all eyes upon Copsige. The reeve leaps slightly once more.

"N-n-now? Me? Well, erm, I... I submit... my suggestion for Lady Margaret," he finally says, doing his best for a moment to appear confident. It isn't so successful. "She is a local woman... An Anglo-Saxon. I-I believe the people... would... respect her more, milord." Immediately, Cgeþ turns his gaze upon the marshal.

"Sæxbald?"

A thoughtful hand to his chin, Sæxbald contemplates all they had formerly discussed. All the many things Sæthlinn had brought to the literal table, in hear investigation of the candidates. "Milord, if I may be blunt."

"Do so," Cgeþ returns without pause. The marshal's eyes shift to Leodweard.

"The young lord is a shite commander, milord," he says plainly. He ignores the cold glare Sæthlinn is shooting him. "His inability to tell bondí from housecarl shall be the end of this realm, and unless we mean to rely upon another to ensure Arþifanc authority, Lady Margaret's silver tongue will profit nothing. Try this Iberian lass, and if the rumours speak true, let her be the young lord's wife."

"Well spoken," says the earl, giving his son a stern look. Leodweard doesn't argue. The marshal does speak rightly. "And you, Æthelsige? You are chief of my advisors. What do you have to say of this?" Æthelsige sighs softly through his nose as he considers his words.

"Liege, would that I had a quick answer. Honestly, the two of them are each more or less worthwhile matches. I would, however, note that the Iberian girl is said to possess a mind for coin as well, and this realm still grows. To say nothing of the fee paid to your new housecarls." Æthelsige completes this statement, then bows his head slightly. He is already done speaking. The earl nods, and that is when Sæthlinn grabs hold of his arm.

"Father, Leodweard requires protection. Those I trust have spent a great deal of time evaluating Mumadona and I know her to have a good head for strategy. If your housecarls don't respect Leodweard, will they protect him?" Leodweard's brow furrows a little at this. It is a fine question.

"They will if I tell them to," says Sæxbald. Sæthlinn frowns in his direction only briefly before returning her focus to her father.

"Let Mumadona be in his ear, telling him what he ought to command, and the men will follow his lead. Leave him on his own, and I fear your coin will be wasted!" she insists. "I cannot trust that girl from Exeter to do such a job, nor can I trust that a competent marshal will always serve Lindsey. Give him a wife who knows war and you'll be watching over him even after you go to Hades!"

"Well... I find that a most compelling argument. And besides, it sounds as if the majority opinion favours the Iberian girl," says the earl, "Though mere numbers will not sway me. Ealdgyth, what do you make of it?"

"As a mother, I just want my son to be happy," she says, gazing up at her massive boy with a sympathetic smile. He smiles down in return. "Yet as a lady, I know this alone isn't enough. Having personally taught him numbers and administration, I can attest that our son is capable in such matters... but not altogether adept. Having a woman who knows how to govern would be nothing but beneficial to him." Sæthlinn grins as it appears her mother will come to her side on this. "And also, I find myself moved by Sæthlinn's argument."

"And you, Leodweard," the earl finally utters, looking his son in the eye. "Have you given it thought?"

"I have, father. After much consideration, the only decision I came to was that the lady from Alba was not a good fit. Between these two, I leave it to your decision as God instills in you."

- As It Happened

2-18.png

The Marriage of Leodweard and MumadonaThe girl glared this way and that throughout the ceremony. I suppose she is none too pleased with her lot, but it is my hope that as she comes to see past Lord Leodweard's doctrinal position, she will eventually recognize that he is a wonderful man and that her lot may not have been better than to come to Lindsey. After all, Duke Burghred reports a most bloody exchange of plays in Iberia.

I will attest that the young lady has a fine countenance. I do believe the liege couldn't stop staring at her at the ceremony, though I hope it is only that my mind plays tricks upon me. Surely he would not go so far in his licentious behaviour of old as to lie with his daughter-in-law... (Though, given the state of his mind just now, I cannot say what he may do.)

2-19.png

The liege has named Jaufré (that man whom he stole away from Francia) as "antiquarian", presiding over the few small treasures the liege has won in his life. These include two quite beautiful rings, a sword fashioned as a cross known as the Sword of Holy Devotion by which the liege boasts God's choosing of his might to our more superstitious Catholic neighbours, and a dagger he had forged from some old tool one day.

In these last months the court has come to know Lady Mumadona more intimately, and she is not one easily swayed. She is a devoted Catholic indeed, and stands firmly in her beliefs in the face of even the mighty duke. (Not as though he would harm her, yet many girls her age would tremble at a glare from him.) She speaks little, spending most of her time in what I might best describe as "heated prayer" in the nearest Catholic convent (of which Lindsey county unfortunately has many). Seasonally, she makes a journey alone to Coventry in Warwickshire to pray at the abbey there. To say the least, the young lady is willful.

A most troublesome wife. I hope the liege's decision shall pay off in the end. If it does, I suppose I should not live long enough to see it happen.

Mumadona Berenguelez de Trava, Catholic Zealot

In better news, one hundred fighting hirdmen are now approved by the earl as his huscarls. They stand in County Lindsey at all times, ready and able, and often make patrol with the knights in the county. These huscarls are expensive, but Lady Ealdgyth's superb stewardship of the house makes sure their pay. (Only today she revealed a small fortune in savings to the earl!) The skirmishers who once defended Lincoln hold now move to the North Riding, where from the hills they might scout the advance of the enemy (for Sigfriðsdottir still rules in Northumbria, though we possess a buffer north). It is a strange thing, being so close to the land of my birth, yet so far. To me it is now a border march in the hands of my foe.

I understand King Merfyn is utterly exhausting his forces, smashing is troops against the wall that is the Mön. Sigfroþ Ivarsson holds the island with determination, I am told, fighting like a bear to defend his claim, yet the king continues his war in the name of his young son, Prince Argad, who holds his own claim to the isle. I cannot claim to understand the workings of the upper nobility. God has blessed the king greatly, so let him do as he will.

An eventful tournament indeed. Some lord of Alba held a contest of wit in a palce called Banf. As the northern hinterland is awash with conflict, I made the decision to sail the coast instead, along with an experienced local captain who helped us navigate past a gathering of longships which seemed to be departing east from Northumberland. Along the way, Lady Sæthlinn gave birth on the ship, which Loeguire helped her bear. She bore a daughter, whose name she called Sægifu, as she was gifted at sea.

Briefly, on mention of Lady Sæthlinn, I understand she and her husband quarrel constantly. More like, she often quarrels with Wulfmær, for I cannot imagine the man raising his voice to a woman, let alone the earl's own daughter. (Even more unfortunate, for her sister Lady Wulfgyth holds strong regard for him.) I know not why they find such animiosity in their marriage, but be it as God wills.

I will quick recount the events of the tournament itself, and be brief: In the very first round, I (having qualified,) found myself pitted against the earl himself. I knew not what to expect of his wily mind in his present state. Though he proved a capable foe, I was able to set a trap in mind early on and seduce him thereto in order to defeat him. Thereafter, I easily toppled some local lord, only to find myself against Petre in the final match. Now Petre is not a man I have known to be very sharp of wit, but I was shocked when he overcame me with good, purposeful moves set from start to finish. He won not only a most magnificent ring, but a wife: Duke Burghred's guest, a lowborn lass named Mildrith, found herself enchanted after his victory.

And now I must address the worst of it. While the festivities were ongoing, Lóeguire, the earl's most able physician and court tutor, succumbed to his long present infirmity and died. We were able to arrange for his burial there in Alba. It is well, for his people are more akin to those of Alba than to the Anglo-Saxons to begin with. Though, I must recall that there was some disputation in dismissing the priest who hoped to perform rites for him. The liege now takes personal responsibility for young lady Wulfgyth's education upon himself.

Yet he was not the only one. As we returned home, we learned that also, Beornred Burgrhedson had died. Though I hear he was in poor health at the time, I find it most disquieting that he would die so suddenly, given he was a man of only twenty-seven winters. I am not alone in this. Lady Sæthlinn as well finds the matter curious, and indeed many of the peers of Mercia seem to agree. Nevertheless, as both County Dunholm and the status of heir has passed to his younger brother Æthelhere, a much more agreeable man, few of us shall shed many tears.

Stories are carrying from sea traders in Bridlington. Sæxbald tells me that the children of Ivar the Boneless make secret as well as open war with a certain clan in Ireland. First, there is the woman who murdered Ivar himself. Then I hear his wife was tortured to death in someone's captivity, though I know not by whose hand. Afterward the daughter of Ivar killed the Irish woman who slew her father in cold blood. Yet now we her further rumour that it was Sigfroþ Ivarsson, who claims a domain in Ireland, who murdered this Irish chieftess' daughter of only nine winters first, before any of this began.

Either way it is a most sordid affair, and I should hope that Sigfroþ intends to keep his bloody dealings west of the Irish Sea. He builds an ever greater reuptation for himself, and it is one of murder and violent conquest. Compared to him, his brothers to our north seem very agreeable indeed. As I write, a small conflict is waged in my native Westmorland between the heathen rivals of Northumbria and Lothian. I understand that Alfriðr has died in battle at some time or another, (and as I often say, it is well that we do not send our ladies to war); and her daughter of six winters takes her seat. It seems the cycle repeat itself for that ill-fated clan.

God bless them. They are heathen, but saved by Christ nevertheless. May they navigate this wicked age more peacefully in the near future.

Ragnar Loðbrók seilte,
han og hans fem sønner,
på jakt etter rikdom,
og ære og varme;

Ragnar døde for ung,
for en feigings hånd;
Landet gjorde krav på,
delt av hans sønner;

Hel slukte Hvítserkr,
Ubbe døde av berserkr,
Tiden stjal Járnsíða,
Irland stjal Ivar;

Den siste av disse,
Kong Sigurdr av danene,
tro mot navnet,
slukte halen hans;

Klag, dere vikinger,
for Ragnars sønner;
En advarende fortelling,
for plyndring i vest

- Ragnarssønner tragedie (A modern translation)

Another hunt was held this spring. This time, the liege was intent to bring us to Richmond, just on the edge of the contested territory in Norse-held lands. I was not sure of the decision, but nevertheless, I plotted us a safe course. We would pass through Whitby along the way, for the hills are treacherous, but the good bishop Swegn is a trusted ally and a longtime supporter of the liege. He made sure our way, as I knew he would.

In the end, it was a worthwhile outing. Wulfmær managed to secure a mighty stag, whose magnificent antlers the earl insisted be given to his dear Sæthlinn as a gift. She would not be the only one to receive a gift, either. The earl located a young eyas in the woods, (of the which I am told good hunting birds are reared,) and he intended to give it to Lord Leodweard as a gift. The young lord has spent much time training it since. As it is not his nature to pursue a more physical hunt, it shall surely serve him well in future.

This outing was once again enjoyable; indeed, far moreso than the last. Thou my fiftieth spring, I find myself more sure of my spear than ever before and was able to contribute actively to the successful hunt. It is a rewarding feeling for which I thank God. After the hunt, I hear that the people of the North Riding are quite disposed toward the liege. I also hear that excellent stewardship both form Lady Ealdgyth and from Reeve Copsige has led to windfalls at home. The realm, for now, remains stable. There is ever more to thank Him for.

Winter is upon us again.

Finally, after seven long years, King Merfyn has given up his effort to secure Mön. I confess, I know not why such a small island was so crucial to begin with. Yet, as I wrote aforetime, it is not my place to question kings. After all, his fortunes are quite fine in the south, where he has brought in Thoræd of Wessex, (whom I hear called "Thoræd the Poet",) under his banner as a vassal. Wessex now lies in the hand of King Merfyn, and now-Duke Thoræd turns upon his child half-brother with whom he formerly held alliance, seeking to devour his realm.

For the earl's part, he has been disquiet of late. He hides it well, but I have been his man long enough to tell. He convenes oft with the council in meetings even Lady Ealdgyth and Lord Leodweard are not privy to. I am told by Lord Leodweard that his sister Sæthlinn, who is party to these sessions, tells him only to "trust in his family". I have grave concern for what the earl might be plotting in his present state.

(A/N: A short one today, as it was a relatively uneventful evening of play and my health takes a slight turn. Nothing serious or lasting, just discomfort enough to send me to bed early. Hope what's here is enjoyable all the same. Oh, and sorry for butchering the hell out of that poetry, my Scandinavian friends!)

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
HAHA. The syntax. That sudden ;) in the middle of all that serious writing. I had to make it ); even though it looks weird.

Reactions:
Brave of our narrator and of the Lady Sæthlinn to travel North via ship, I imagine those waters must be infested by Norse raiding parties. As for the Galician lady Mumadona, she certainly seems hesitant to abandon her faith. I imagine being so far from home in this dreary island may lead her to see the Catholic faith as her last remnant of home. I feel kind of bad for her, Lindsey was not the greatest of places in the 9th and 10th century, especially with all the heretics and heathens roaming around.

As for Wales, wow, who could have imagined the Britons making a turnaround. The Mercians often allied and mixed with the Welsh, after all Mercia meant "Border-People" once upon a time, but for the West Saxons to embrace a Welsh King? Well that seems like madness. Hopefully the fruitless war in Mann didn't cause the death of too many soldiers and the Kingdom remains strong.

I hope you feel better come the morning.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
As for Wales, wow, who could have imagined the Britons making a turnaround. The Mercians often allied and mixed with the Welsh, after all Mercia meant "Border-People" once upon a time, but for the West Saxons to embrace a Welsh King? Well that seems like madness. Hopefully the fruitless war in Mann didn't cause the death of too many soldiers and the Kingdom remains strong.

I suspect Merfyn is proving himself a very capable diplomatic force in these talks. That or he's got a spymaster going around digging up serious dirt on his neighbors...

• 2Like
Reactions: