From enemies to allies, pounding them into friendship!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(287474)

Captain
2 Badges
Mar 19, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
So ya know how USA is allies with mexico, canadia, united england-land, france, spain, germany, japan, vietnam?

Well ya know we fought them all in wars and did not like them very much at some point in our history! But now we love all them non-Merrkan, speakin that terrist, livin in them lands of the un-free. Maybe we should go to war with them again?

Anyways its clear that depending on how you treat your enemies after a war, they can become your allies. I would like this to be the case in EU4. If I remember correctly in eu3 just going to war reduced relations permanently. There was no option to ever become allies. But it seems to be that if you beat the hell out of someone, and then treat the people fairly after the war, they will tend to respect your diplomacy. In future wars if you lose to them, they might return the favor.

I guess my point is, it should be entirely possible to come out of a war with better relations than when you went into it. If you fight a defensive war and get 100% warscore there should be diplomatically graceful solutions.

For an example if two mighty empires start next to each other, and they hate each other's guts, it should be possible to improve relations over time to where they become your greatest allies, and thats simply impossible when every time you go to war with them you get a permanent relations penalty.

I like this idea. I believe in a lot of cases with a new leader of a nation diplomatic relations change to them world wide. The death of a king in many cases has forged new alliances with other once rival countries as to advance each other to a more powerful state. I believe the diplomacy system in EU 3 was a little silly. That a country will hate you from 1399 until the 1800's. It is merely preposterous. For example the French and Spanish used to be mortal enemies. Then they became bussom buddies in the times leading up to Elizabethan England. And then they fractured again when the mighty Hapsburgs took over Spain. And once again back to friends when a French king was placed on the Spanish throne.

I agree that the relationships between nations need to a alot more dynamic.

There's still a place for 'Mortal Enemy' type situations, where two nation's interests are so completely opposed to one another that they can't help but hate each other. But at the same time I think most countries need to have a fluid opinion of others.

So ya know how USA is allies with mexico, canadia, united england-land, france, spain, germany, japan, vietnam?

Well ya know we fought them all in wars and did not like them very much at some point in our history! But now we love all them non-Merrkan, speakin that terrist, livin in them lands of the un-free. Maybe we should go to war with them again?

Anyways its clear that depending on how you treat your enemies after a war, they can become your allies. I would like this to be the case in EU4. If I remember correctly in eu3 just going to war reduced relations permanently. There was no option to ever become allies. But it seems to be that if you beat the hell out of someone, and then treat the people fairly after the war, they will tend to respect your diplomacy. In future wars if you lose to them, they might return the favor.

I guess my point is, it should be entirely possible to come out of a war with better relations than when you went into it. If you fight a defensive war and get 100% warscore there should be diplomatically graceful solutions.

For an example if two mighty empires start next to each other, and they hate each other's guts, it should be possible to improve relations over time to where they become your greatest allies, and thats simply impossible when every time you go to war with them you get a permanent relations penalty.

you realize that the only one of those that is the same government now as the one that we went to war with is Vietnam, right? (who we're also not even remotely allied with...) Also, you most certainly can be allies after a war. It's called gifts/ repairing relations over time. I'll agree that diplomacy could be a little more fluid, but I think this isn't really a good example of why or how.

I always feel like if I give a 1 province minor I've occupied a "concede defeat" peace, or even a "white peace", I should get a relations bump.