• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jye42

Second Lieutenant
91 Badges
Jan 6, 2013
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
I started a game as Burgundy with the intention of forming the Netherlands, since I read that this was possible. I have a couple of compaints however.

1. You loose your Burgundian/French provinces to France. Upon forming the netherlands, you loose all this territory. So that makes it pointless to to conquer any french territory as Burgundy, since as soon as you form the Netherlands you loose it to France.

2. When you form the Netherlands, Burgundian is no longer an accepted culture. Why is this a problem? If you started colonising before you change to Netherlands, your colonies have Bugundian culture meaning you have to culture change all your own provinces back to your own culture after the shift. This would be less of a problem if it wasn't for no 3.

3. You need Admin Tech level 10 to form the Netherlands, This is mainly only a problem because you are then forced to wait longer before you can act on dutch interests such as colonisation or conquests of france. Since after the change there are these setbacks.

My sugested solution.
Forming the netherlands should be a voluntary triggering of the Burgundian succession crisis where the Dutch provinces become the netherlands instead of Austrian. Considering the -33% heir chance this shouldent be hard.

Conditions for forming netherlands should then instead be: Own all required territory & Is in a regency or a lesser partner in a union. (If you formed the netherlands as a lesser partner of a union, you imediatly enter a war with the union leader)

Upon forming the Netherlands the following should also occour.
The culture of all burgundian provinces outside of France region flip to dutch culture. So you retain in full, any colonies you have made thus far.

I think they should add a scope being FRA = { exists } if you wipe them out, there is no reason to make them exist again.... IT MAKES NO SENSE... (and maybe even FRA = { independent = yes } if they are your vassal/ Personal Union slave. They shouldn't get anything)

Yeah... Territory just becoming Dutch? That's a bit of a far stretch, I do think that if you form The Netherlands from Burgundy it should remain an accepted culture though. ( Bright side, if you make colonies changing culture is only what? 3 diplo power? I do agree, it adds up... Which is the darker side :p)

The admin tech level 10, while a sensible restriction, is really quite annoying, especially in this case, where the Burgundian option is meant to be the easy mode for forming the Netherlands. It really isn't when you're squished between Austria and France and have to wait until admin 10. At least if you're a Dutch minor you have the "loving embrace" of the HRE to protect you...