First approach in modeling a building - further information much appreciated.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've got a question that's also related to the building placement in what will be the "lot editor".

Is it possible to include the lot's ground with the model (if we make the ground the exact size of the lot we want) and specify in the editor that there will be no "normal" ground texture but only the model ?? I ask it in case we want to model a garden with pathways and little pounds or so.
While technically it could be done as far as I am aware of, I'd wager it might look odd on any other area of the land that is not nearly 100% flat.

(if we make the ground the exact size of the lot we want)

Ah now that's a good point! What does happen about sizing? I had been under the impression the largest lot size would be 4x4 and the smallest 1x1, and that our houses could appear on any lot. How does the game deal with relative size of imported housing asset and potential zoning size?

There's a tool in the lot editor part where you can cut a hole on the ground in a cell area (the hole will always cover one cell and cannot be cut halfway between two cells i.e. half of the cut is in one cell's area and the other half is on the other cell's area - however multiple cuts will combine into a large cut if they are in adjacent cells). This allows "underground" structures such as cellar doors that are a bit lower than 0.0 to be possible but it requires a lot of planning when modeling to get the underground parts in the correct location. It is also a similar way we created the metro entrance where the escalators go below ground. But it's not exactly the same as what you are describing even though it is in a way similar.
I made a mockup on 3DS Max of how the cutouts will appear when done on a 4x4 cells lot: Mockup of the lot cutouts.

And can you cut all 16 tiles that way ?? (so you have only the borders left ?)

Ah now that's a good point! What does happen about sizing? I had been under the impression the largest lot size would be 4x4 and the smallest 1x1, and that our houses could appear on any lot. How does the game deal with relative size of imported housing asset and potential zoning size?
When you import the building and prop it in the asset editor you also choose the lot size for it. So, you can make a 1x1 cell sized building and still set the lot to be the whole 4x4 cells. So, basically each building that is created will have the lot size defined by the creator. This means you can also create several different versions of the same building with varying lot sizes if the building fits the different lots between 1x1 and 4x4 and each of them is required to be individually adjusted, as if you were creating multiple different custom buildings.

And can you cut all 16 tiles that way ?? (so you have only the borders left ?)
Yes, although I haven't tried to do it myself since there has been no need to do so, so I can't say what the end result is going to look like or if it will work as intended.

Can we also specify how many households the asset can be home to? It occurs to me I could make a small row of terraced houses looking like they were 8 seperate houses, but actually just one lot, housing 8 households. Although I guess I'd have to say 4 households because of the density scaling?

Can we also specify how many households the asset can be home to? It occurs to me I could make a small row of terraced houses looking like they were 8 seperate houses, but actually just one lot, housing 8 households. Although I guess I'd have to say 4 households because of the density scaling?
You can't directly affect the amount of cims living in a particular house from the asset editor but I suppose it is possible through a mod, as far as I know. The formula to calculate the amount of people has to do with the cell amount and other factors if I'm not mistaken (but don't quote me on that!).

You can't directly affect the amount of cims living in a particular house from the asset editor but I suppose it is possible through a mod, as far as I know. The formula to calculate the amount of people has to do with the cell amount and other factors if I'm not mistaken (but don't quote me on that!).

I don't understand how it will work at all then... but I guess it will make more sense the day I lay my hands on it. :laugh:

BTW I remember seeing a post with much technical info about number of faces, different maps, uv's etc etc... wouldn't it be good to have a sticky in this section with all the tech and info grouped ?? (like the info you gave me about holes in the lot and so...) :happy:

excuse me - i make this , but the question , and now ?
jWNd08i.jpg

I don't understand how it will work at all then... but I guess it will make more sense the day I lay my hands on it. :laugh:

BTW I remember seeing a post with much technical info about number of faces, different maps, uv's etc etc... wouldn't it be good to have a sticky in this section with all the tech and info grouped ?? (like the info you gave me about holes in the lot and so...) :happy:
Perhaps but I don't think I have the correct rights to make any post a sticky. But if someone can gather all the data from my reddit post and from the original modding info post someone made here on the forums from the initial tips I gave on reddit then perhaps someone with the proper rights can make it a sticky. :)

Oh there is one thing I don't remember reading - how do we indicate which side of the house is meant to face the road?
The front of the building is on the Y-axis but there is a change to rotate the building once you have imported it into the asset editor. And you can always rotate a finished building in the 3D software. You just need to reset the rotation of the building's pivot after you have rotated the building and then remember to once again rotate the pivot (not the building) 90 degrees on the X-axis or the building will appear laying on its side in the game.

Perhaps but I don't think I have the correct rights to make any post a sticky. But if someone can gather all the data from my reddit post and from the original modding info post someone made here on the forums from the initial tips I gave on reddit then perhaps someone with the proper rights can make it a sticky. :)

Quite possibly...