Fervor - Unengaging and Non-Interactive

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There were quite a few herisies that arose during the CK3 period. They were defeated, but it was a problem.

I think the problem with Catholic and Orthodox herisies are not that they happen, but how they happen in CK3.

Also while not modeled in CK3 (or 2), this is the period when the Orthodox church and Catholic church officially split showing the problems of keeping a large united church together.
it isn't anything remotely like it is in the game though which is pretty obvious. Cathars were not an existential threat and were eliminated fairly easily whereas in game you have half of the HRE becoming Waldensians for absolutely no reason, it isn't a fracturing of the faith at all in real life but rather isolated pockets of heresy. meanwhile in the game large swaths of land and their rulers will just become heretics because [reason]

No all of them were even defeated. The Waldensian Church for example is still alive and kicking, it just eventually merged with the Methodist Church. In 1975.

That's the thing about the whole argument of not wanting a Reformation to happen every 50 years. Historically, that was basically the history of the Catholic Church during the Middle Ages. We only know of the Reformation because it was the one that succeeded the most.
so it was like the reformation, except with absolutely no capacity to succeed, nowhere near the geographic spread, nowhere near the same threat. so basically, not the same at all, and not in any way converting nobles

• 3Like
Reactions:
it isn't anything remotely like it is in the game though which is pretty obvious. Cathars were not an existential threat and were eliminated fairly easily whereas in game you have half of the HRE becoming Waldensians for absolutely no reason, it isn't a fracturing of the faith at all in real life but rather isolated pockets of heresy. meanwhile in the game large swaths of land and their rulers will just become heretics because [reason]
Hence why I said the problem was how heresies appear in CK3, not that large religions get them.

There was a suggestion a while back on doing a more bottom up herisies with an event chain to allow for character interaction (both on the part of the top liege who might oppose the heresy and on local nobles who may or may not be sympethic). This would have seen smaller initial heresies that grow if either the top liege doesn't spend the resources to stop it early (or fails to detect it early in the event thread) and if local nobles have grievences and use the heresy as a vehicle for those.

I don't remember all the details, and it had it's flaws. But there are other ways of solving the heresy problem for Catholics in CK3 than just turning it off.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
No all of them were even defeated. The Waldensian Church for example is still alive and kicking, it just eventually merged with the Methodist Church. In 1975.

That's the thing about the whole argument of not wanting a Reformation to happen every 50 years. Historically, that was basically the history of the Catholic Church during the Middle Ages. We only know of the Reformation because it was the one that succeeded the most.
Cool! Thanks for letting me know.

so it was like the reformation, except with absolutely no capacity to succeed, nowhere near the geographic spread, nowhere near the same threat. so basically, not the same at all, and not in any way converting nobles
But they weren't predestined to be. Nor was the Protestant Reformation predestined to explode how it did. And that's where the dynamic nature of the game shines, producing different outcomes every game instead of the same outcome (Catholicism smash) every time like CK2 did.

Reactions:
But they weren't predestined to be. Nor was the Protestant Reformation predestined to explode how it did. And that's where the dynamic nature of the game shines, producing different outcomes every game instead of the same outcome (Catholicism smash) every time like CK2 did.
no it doesn't provide different outcomes, heresies always spread well and the fervor mechanic makes them stick around

• 2Like
Reactions:
no it doesn't provide different outcomes, heresies always spread well and the fervor mechanic makes them stick around
Not really. Most of the time, if they manage to stick around, it's only in a holdout of one or two provinces. Which, again, is pretty historical to how a lot of the medieval proto-Reformation and other branching denominations ended up.

Reactions:

In what province was it the majority religion though?
I think a major part of the issue is that since provinces are single religion, the existence of heretical minorities isn't well modelled, so it feels bad when half the world converts to religions which historically might have been very present, but often as a large minority spread out over a region, rather than concentrated.

(Actually it reminds me of an EUIV game I played back when Dei Gratia was getting independent updates still, where I had a 'highly tolerant' catholic kingdom where most provinces ended up being reformed as they were fleeing persecution elsewhere - balancing trying to convince the pope that yes I was really catholic no this isn't just a front, while also keeping the large reformed population and most of the lower nobility happy) I feel like that sort of balancing act would lend itself really well to the CK3 gameplay experience and also model the way in which heresies tended to be a lot more "brother against brother and friend against friend" internal to the province level and far less "all of southern France united against the pope" homogenous. As I understand it anyway.

I very much agree with others in the thread in saying that the problem stems from CK3's implementation of religious fracturing, rather than the idea of it happening at all.

That said, when it comes to Holy wars decreasing fervor; that's just silly - I feel like Fervor and Moral Authority ought to be separated as things? with Fervor increasing *for both sides* when holy wars are fought, and affecting things like conversion speed and unrest from wrong religion (you want yours to be high), while Moral Authority cares about things like winning(+) or losing(-) holy wars, holding ecumenical councils(+), political bickering within the church(-) and between church and state(-) etc. and lead to Heresy when low and giving the Pope more power when high (so as a Feudal ruler, unless you're a paragon of virtue, you probably want to keep it sitting somewhere in the middle).

• 8Like
Reactions:
To the OP:

Mods are the answer to many of your questions. Check in the workshop:

- Less Sinful Priest Scandals
- Fervour Midpoint Rebalance
- Winning Holy Wars Increases Fervour

All done by the same modder, Morven. Also check his workshop because he has some other useful mods beyond those three...

Reactions:
The medieval "heresies" were generally small, local movements that some random inquisitor decided were dangerously heretical. Or local reform movements (not in the Reformation sense, in the "hey everybody, let's all go to church and maybe stop sinning so much" popular movements) which the local bishop decided had gotten carried away (frequently when they moved from "let's give more of our money to the poor" to "hey, maybe the local bishop should give some more of his money to the poor as well"). It's not even clear to what extent e.g. Cathars existed as a movement (rather than various individual local customs that inquisitors decided were "Cathar" traits and then lumped together in the same file; they were the ones conducting the interrogations, after all). None of them saw themselves as separate religions, but rather as faithful Catholics (very different from the Reformation, where after the initial split there rapidly grew a separate identity between "Protestants" and "Catholics," with defined and recognized theological differences, and independent rulers actively adopting them).

The CK3 system makes it so that random rulers of large religions regularly embrace minor heresies, and it cycles that way. Which makes it hard to maintain the idea of a Catholic (or Orthodox or whatever) identity (something central to the actual medieval period, with the idea of Christendom and crusading on its behalf). It also makes it harder for a large religion to convert wrong religion provinces, whereas a small religion has a much easier time spreading its faith, which is precisely backwards.

• 7Like
Reactions:
The medieval "heresies" were generally small, local movements that some random inquisitor decided were dangerously heretical. Or local reform movements (not in the Reformation sense, in the "hey everybody, let's all go to church and maybe stop sinning so much" popular movements) which the local bishop decided had gotten carried away (frequently when they moved from "let's give more of our money to the poor" to "hey, maybe the local bishop should give some more of his money to the poor as well"). It's not even clear to what extent e.g. Cathars existed as a movement (rather than various individual local customs that inquisitors decided were "Cathar" traits and then lumped together in the same file; they were the ones conducting the interrogations, after all). None of them saw themselves as separate religions, but rather as faithful Catholics (very different from the Reformation, where after the initial split there rapidly grew a separate identity between "Protestants" and "Catholics," with defined and recognized theological differences, and independent rulers actively adopting them).
Let's be clear, though: this is exactly what Martin Luther started as. The primary differences in the early days were:
  1. Luther was smart enough to not end up burned at the stake (namely, not going to a church council until the Emperor guaranteed his safety, because he saw how well that went for Hus)
  2. He preached in the northern HRE, where local nobles had a political agenda (briefly summarized as "F Austria") that made keeping Luther around and supporting him convenient.
Now it's definitely worth asking whether rulers are too eager to jump on the heresy bandwagon in CK3, but it's that transition from "local priest yells about the iniquity of the Church" to "lords of the HRE decide this sounds like fun" (and sure some were sincere in their convictions) that made Luther, well, Luther, and not the next Jan Hus.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, to use the Waldensians as an example again, it very much was not just "we should give more to the poor." Among his teachings, Peter Waldo rejected prayers for the dead, veneration of relics, and rejected the doctrines of purgatory and, oh yeah, transubstantiation. Which was kind of one of the big things about Martin Luther too.

The big thing that made Martin Luther's efforts more widespread where others ultimately faded or held on in isolated communities was that Luther got more press (insert printing press joke here because I'm trying but can't make it work well enough).

• 2Like
Reactions:
The medieval "heresies" were generally small, local movements that some random inquisitor decided were dangerously heretical. Or local reform movements (not in the Reformation sense, in the "hey everybody, let's all go to church and maybe stop sinning so much" popular movements) which the local bishop decided had gotten carried away (frequently when they moved from "let's give more of our money to the poor" to "hey, maybe the local bishop should give some more of his money to the poor as well").
There were plenty of "heresies" that were more concerned with the nature of Christ or proper way to worship in the medieval period, than caring about the wealth or sinfulness of the church. And even ones that did have grievances with the wealth of the church often had other belief based grievances. A big one is the Iconoclasts that also shows that heresies as don't always remain small and local during this period. Even ones that weren't as successful, like Lollardy, often did have some support from local nobles, if they were also unhappy with the church.

It's not even clear to what extent e.g. Cathars existed as a movement (rather than various individual local customs that inquisitors decided were "Cathar" traits and then lumped together in the same file; they were the ones conducting the interrogations, after all).
The Cathars are in many ways an outlier. But your mention of local customs is one of the problem that exists for keeping a large church together. Local customs breed new ways of preforming rituals or interpreting texts. These difference then leads to the question of who does it correctly. Which in turn can create conflict and accusation of heresy. Followers of Waldensian, before it was accused of heresy, did actually have a meeting with the Pope to discuss their differences. It was only later that the church called them heretics.

None of them saw themselves as separate religions, but rather as faithful Catholics (very different from the Reformation, where after the initial split there rapidly grew a separate identity between "Protestants" and "Catholics," with defined and recognized theological differences, and independent rulers actively adopting them).
I don't think this is the right way to frame this. The reformation and medieval heresies both saw themself as being the true way to be a good Christian. But that doesn't mean many of them didn't see the Catholic or Orthodox church as a lost cause. Instead many just wanted their ideas to be adopted by the church and thus didn't really think of themselves as separate from the church (especially as there were many discussions going on in the church that did sometimes lead to change). The real split I think comes from when it comes clear the church is not receptive to these new ideas and so the followers of them are faced with either falling in line with church policy or creating their own church. If they go with the later, from their the identity of the new faith crystalizes.

The CK3 system makes it so that random rulers of large religions regularly embrace minor heresies, and it cycles that way.
So I think everyone in the thread agrees that how CK3 heresies appear could be improved. Just that some of us argue large religions should remain more susceptible to them. Plus that a heresy being successful and starting an earlier split in the Catholic Church than historically, while probably more likely in CK3 than it should be, is not that out there of an idea.

Which makes it hard to maintain the idea of a Catholic (or Orthodox or whatever) identity (something central to the actual medieval period, with the idea of Christendom and crusading on its behalf).
I think the conflicts within the the Catholic and Orthodox churches are also very integral part of the medieval age. And while heresies are a only part of that (the game should have things like councils and papal authority) I do think they are important. The Catholic world was hardly a united Christendom.

It also makes it harder for a large religion to convert wrong religion provinces, whereas a small religion has a much easier time spreading its faith, which is precisely backwards.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Usually the fastest period of growth for a lot of faith's is when they are new. And new faiths are small.

Also that is taking the fever mechanic in a vacuum, because large faiths have other mechanics on their side. A large faith means more realm priests to convert provinces (many small faith don't have any realm priests) and more realms that can expand the faith into new territories.

Related to this. I find it interesting that if you play 1066 starts (where there are more Catholic provinces to start, the Catholicism tends to do well and ends bigger than when it started. It's only the 867 start that I've seen Catholicism fail (and this is hardly a given). So there seems to be something else rather than just the fevor mechanic responding to the size of Catholicism.

That all said, I think the fervor mechanic could be improved. I just don't want it scrapped in favour of moral authority coming back. Though I do like suggestions of splitting fervor into two stats that play off of each other.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Let's be clear, though: this is exactly what Martin Luther started as. The primary differences in the early days were:
  1. Luther was smart enough to not end up burned at the stake (namely, not going to a church council until the Emperor guaranteed his safety, because he saw how well that went for Hus)
  2. He preached in the northern HRE, where local nobles had a political agenda (briefly summarized as "F Austria") that made keeping Luther around and supporting him convenient.
Now it's definitely worth asking whether rulers are too eager to jump on the heresy bandwagon in CK3, but it's that transition from "local priest yells about the iniquity of the Church" to "lords of the HRE decide this sounds like fun" (and sure some were sincere in their convictions) that made Luther, well, Luther, and not the next Jan Hus.
Sure, it's what he started as (and viewed himself as), but the idea of a separate Protestant identity emerged very quickly. Whereas it really didn't work that way in the CK period (at least, in the West; the Orthodox church did have identifiable Iconoclast and Iconodule identities). And the printing press was a gamechanger in general, which doesn't exist in the CK period, and was critical to building this sense of broader identity (as Protestant and anti-Protestant propaganda could be distributed cheaply and widely in a way that really wasn't possible earlier).
Yeah, to use the Waldensians as an example again, it very much was not just "we should give more to the poor." Among his teachings, Peter Waldo rejected prayers for the dead, veneration of relics, and rejected the doctrines of purgatory and, oh yeah, transubstantiation. Which was kind of one of the big things about Martin Luther too.

The big thing that made Martin Luther's efforts more widespread where others ultimately faded or held on in isolated communities was that Luther got more press (insert printing press joke here because I'm trying but can't make it work well enough).
Lots of local mystic or reform movements that were accepted by the church had heterodox theological ideas that were accepted just fine. Catherine of Siena, Francis of Assissi, Clare of Assissi, etc. Even the Waldensians weren't initially condemned as heretical. The church was generally just fine with these sorts of movements, as long as they didn't threaten the hierarchy (so the more extreme Franciscans were later classed as Fraticelli and condemned, but the Franciscans themselves were accepted as not just perfectly orthodox but a pillar of the church).

And transubstantiation wasn't nearly the touchstone in the medieval period that it would become later. It wasn't defined as dogma until after Waldo had already died.
There were plenty of "heresies" that were more concerned with the nature of Christ or proper way to worship in the medieval period, than caring about the wealth or sinfulness of the church. And even ones that did have grievances with the wealth of the church often had other belief based grievances. A big one is the Iconoclasts that also shows that heresies as don't always remain small and local during this period. Even ones that weren't as successful, like Lollardy, often did have some support from local nobles, if they were also unhappy with the church.
Sure, but most of the "nature of Christ" heresies were mainly pre-CK3. Arianism, Monophysitism, etc. had all broken out well before then. The CK2 period was absolutely a time of spiritual flowering and religious movements in Catholicism (I admit to not being nearly as well informed about other religions during this time period), but to define it as a time of rampant heresy and constant crises shaking the church is frankly ridiculous. The various reform movements generally saw themselves as part of the church, they rarely wielded any sort of political power (local nobles might have some sympathy with them, or be accused as such, but generally were willing to abandon them once the main hierarchy condemned them as heretical).

Ironically, the main exception to this, the Hussites (towards the end of the CK period) don't even show up as an available heresy for some reason.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Sure, it's what he started as (and viewed himself as), but the idea of a separate Protestant identity emerged very quickly. Whereas it really didn't work that way in the CK period (at least, in the West; the Orthodox church did have identifiable Iconoclast and Iconodule identities).
(...)
The various reform movements generally saw themselves as part of the church, they rarely wielded any sort of political power (local nobles might have some sympathy with them, or be accused as such, but generally were willing to abandon them once the main hierarchy condemned them as heretical).
What about catharism for example ? :confused:

What about catharism for example ? :confused:
It's actually enormously debated among historians as to what extent Catharism even existed as a movement, versus being essentially a paranoia among local inquisitors. Everything we know about it comes from the records of inquisitors, who generally asked formulaic questions and decided whether they believed the answers. So they had a checklist that they'd assembled (based mostly on hearsay and previous interrogations) of "signs of Catharism," interrogated folks to determine whether they met any of those signs, and if they decided that they did, labeled them as "Cathars" in the files.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well, catharism did really exist as a movement, and some occitan nobles did convert to catharism, though probably not as many as merchants/bourgeois. Of course, albigensian crusade was mainly motivated by conquest and both economical and political power, but catharism was real, not an invention…
And though it was a christian religion, catharism did not consider itself as "part of the church"...

The part you are talking about (inquisition) only came well after the albigensian crusade. Still at that time, there are many examples of cathar ceremonies, though it is logical cathars were hiding from the inquisition...

Reactions:
Well, catharism did really exist as a movement, and some occitan nobles did convert to catharism, though probably not as many as merchants/bourgeois. Of course, albigensian crusade was mainly motivated by conquest and both economical and political power, but catharism was real, not an invention…
And though it was a christian religion, catharism did not consider itself as "part of the church"...

The part you are talking about (inquisition) only came well after the albigensian crusade. Still at that time, there are many examples of cathar ceremonies, though it is logical cathars were hiding from the inquisition...

There's been a lot of ink poured over this, but to sum it all up: we don't really know whether Cathars actually existed or were dreamed up by paranoid inquisitors. There is some evidence that near the end of the Cathar movement there were some who seriously considered themselves Cathars, but it is possible that the heresy was invented by zealous inquisitors and then adopted by individuals.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Sure, it's what he started as (and viewed himself as), but the idea of a separate Protestant identity emerged very quickly. Whereas it really didn't work that way in the CK period (at least, in the West; the Orthodox church did have identifiable Iconoclast and Iconodule identities). And the printing press was a gamechanger in general, which doesn't exist in the CK period, and was critical to building this sense of broader identity (as Protestant and anti-Protestant propaganda could be distributed cheaply and widely in a way that really wasn't possible earlier).
I feel like the the early protestants viewing themselves as separate from the Catholic comes from the Catholics calling them Lutherans (a naming convention they got from previous heresies) and the local nobles using the religious movement for their own political agendas. The printing press just helped with speeding the whole process up.

The actual teachings of Martin Luther and his Lutheran followers, while taking criticism of Papal authority, also refer to themselves as the Catholic (or universal) Church. They viewed themselves as going back to the roots of Christianity and that the modern church had lost it way. These are all qualities that many medieval heresies had. So I fail to see how the Lutherans are different than medieval Catholic heresies, besides success. It really seems your criteria for if they had separate identity is success. In which case every heresy is capable of that (though some might have a harder uphill battle).

Finally, but I think most important, what does it matter if they had a separate identity or not? The main church viewed them as such, by branding them heresies, so it makes sense from a game point of view to follow suit. And while it might be interesting if CK3 could somehow capture the nuance of how heresies go from just a difference of opinion to being expelled from the church, it is probably easiest from a game point of view to have them as separate faiths from the get go.

Lots of local mystic or reform movements that were accepted by the church had heterodox theological ideas that were accepted just fine. Catherine of Siena, Francis of Assissi, Clare of Assissi, etc. Even the Waldensians weren't initially condemned as heretical. The church was generally just fine with these sorts of movements, as long as they didn't threaten the hierarchy (so the more extreme Franciscans were later classed as Fraticelli and condemned, but the Franciscans themselves were accepted as not just perfectly orthodox but a pillar of the church).
I feel this is moving the goal post a bit. You characterized medieval heresies as being about going from "'let's give more of our money to the poor' to 'hey, maybe the local bishop should give some more of his money to the poor as well'". But when me an others point out there are medieval heresies with beliefs beyond church wealth (and Papal authority), your response is only the ones that "threaten the hierarchy" were declared heresies. Which yeah, the Catholic Church had a political agenda. But this gets us back to where we started, because the reformation movements fall into that same description. And so again what is separating them from medieval heresies besides success?

And transubstantiation wasn't nearly the touchstone in the medieval period that it would become later. It wasn't defined as dogma until after Waldo had already died.
Waldensian also survived Waldo's death. So I fail to see the point in this.

Also while it might not have been official dogma until 1215, that didn't stop church citing the Petrobrusians lack of belief in transubstantiation as one for the reasons for declaring them heretics in 1139.

Sure, but most of the "nature of Christ" heresies were mainly pre-CK3. Arianism, Monophysitism, etc. had all broken out well before then.
True, not the best example of difference in beliefs for the CK3 period. Just having studied early Christianity, it always the one that comes to mind first.

The CK2 period was absolutely a time of spiritual flowering and religious movements in Catholicism (I admit to not being nearly as well informed about other religions during this time period), but to define it as a time of rampant heresy and constant crises shaking the church is frankly ridiculous.
When have I defined it as a period of rampant heresies? I just have said that larger faith seem to have a larger problem with heresies than smaller faiths due to their size, thus I like that the fervor mechanic represents this. But I have also said I think the fervor mechanic could be improved. I have also said that the manner in which heresies have spread CK3 is wrong, but that while there general severity should be reduced, they should still have the potential to become something serious (again mentioning needing the top liege to fail to combat it while at the same time the local nobles choose to embrace as a vehicle to rectify their grievances).

I've also said that this should only play a part in showing the conflict within Christendom, with councils and papal authority also being important.

So no where have I argued for rampant heresies. Just that Catholics should get them, and that there be a possibility of them being serious (essential an early reformation). Doesn't need to be very likely, but it should be there to encourage Catholic rulers to try and nip heretical movement in the bud.

The various reform movements generally saw themselves as part of the church, they rarely wielded any sort of political power (local nobles might have some sympathy with them, or be accused as such, but generally were willing to abandon them once the main hierarchy condemned them as heretical).
I feel this is again the problem of using the measure of success to define what really counts as different or not. And again it doesn't really matter because the Catholic Church declared them as different.

Also sure plenty of nobles stopped their support for them when declared heretic, but there are also example of nobles continuing afterwards (Lollardy comes to mind as one such and Abbot Bartholomew protection of Angelo da Clareno after he was excommunicated). This again mirrors the reformation, expect on the level of how successful they were (and thus how many eventual did it).

It's actually enormously debated among historians as to what extent Catharism even existed as a movement, versus being essentially a paranoia among local inquisitors. Everything we know about it comes from the records of inquisitors, who generally asked formulaic questions and decided whether they believed the answers. So they had a checklist that they'd assembled (based mostly on hearsay and previous interrogations) of "signs of Catharism," interrogated folks to determine whether they met any of those signs, and if they decided that they did, labeled them as "Cathars" in the files.
I agree that its existence is debated (along with plenty of other heretical movements). But regardless the persecution is something that happen (whether the foe was imagined or not). So the fact people might have been wrongly accused shouldn't be a reason for not having the "cathar crusade" in the game. I could see an argument for the manner that it appears in game to be changed. But there should be a system for allowing Catholicism to have these internal struggles, whether against real or imagined heresies.

Similar to how witches aren't a real thing, but we need a way for them to "exist" in game, as that was a real concern of medieval people.

Also, since it is debated, Paradox might as well do the more entertaining thing and make Catharism a faith players can play around with (just need to tone down the ai).

So again, not saying the CK3 system is perfect, but heresies (and especially the fear of them) I think are important enough to be represented in CK3. How they are represented could be improved. And for the purpose of this thread, I think they should be more likely in large faiths, which the current fervor system does (though the current values should at least be tweaked, if not the system being revamped).

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Inverting the current fervor-loss from winning a holy war into a win might help... Though I see where this "we lost a bastion of christendom to the infidels, we need to fight them! [fervor increases]" comes from: look at what sparked the 2nd Crusade - the loss of the crusader-duchy of Edessa to the Muslims.

Reactions: