• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

09richardk

Recruit
21 Badges
Oct 12, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Since buying Federations, I have to uninstall the launcher and delete items within appdata folder in order to launch the game. Your studio is too competent, and I've spent too much money, for such a small thing to cause such a big problem. Fix it.

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z270X-Gaming K7 (U3E1)
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.
\

This is what I do 100% of the time before launching the game. The issue is that I must do this 100% of the time before I can play the game.

At the risk of alienating the one person trying to help me, did you actually read my post before responding?

Certainly, but I need to be 100% sure you've done every step of the process I've devised for launcher issues.

FYI this is not a known issue with the launcher. What could break it between one time it runs and the next time I'm really not sure.

Did you read my bit about the launcher logs? If I can get those next time the problem happens please.

Right right right. I shouldn't get snippy for you trying to cover all the bases.

Attachments

• cpatch.log
    126,5 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-bootstrapper.log
    21,7 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-dowser.log
    2,4 KB · Views: 0
Those logs go back 10 days so I'm afraid you can't have gone through my process above. In addition it's still using an old installer somehow, plus some other weird problems:
2020-10-18 17:05:05 [launcher] [ERROR] Couldn't start the launcher:
%s fork/exec C:\Users\Faggot\AppData\Local\Programs\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2--openbeta--2020.13-rc.4\Paradox Launcher.exe: This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

2020-10-18 17:05:06 [main] [CRITICAL] fork/exec C:\Users\Faggot\AppData\Local\Programs\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2--openbeta--2020.13-rc.4\Paradox Launcher.exe: This version of %! (MISSING)is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.
Never seen those before and not 100% sure what to make of them, to be honest.

Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package for Windows: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2020.13-win-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then please repeat the launcher reinstall procedure from before.

Don't opt into the beta of the launcher for the time being.

Let us see new logs if there are still problems then.

Nope. I'm ready to lose my goddamn mind. The only new variable is the Federations DLC.

Now I don't need to go through the whole song and dance. I'm able to launch the game at this point if I simply uninstall the launcher, then launch the game. Which I suppose is progress.

Attachments

• cpatch.log
    97,6 KB · Views: 0
Now you are only on launcher 2020.3 when 2020.13 is the current one. How that is possible using the 2020.13 installer files I linked for you above I cannot see. Are you confident you got the three files in the right place, they overwrote the three older ones?

Yes. I can't imagine how or why the correct game files weren't downloaded after my fresh install, especially.

The IT guy at my last job was habitually infuriated by the new and stressful issues I'd throw on his desk. He was always at a loss for words. I may have run afoul of an Old Gypsy Woman some years ago.

Yes. I can't imagine how or why the correct game files weren't downloaded after my fresh install, especially.
To be clear, you did manually extract the three files from the .zip I linked and move them to the Steam-Stellaris folder? So they overwrote the ones that Steam put there?

Yes.
Although each time I uninstall the Paradox launcher, it tells me I'm uninstalling version 2.0.4. I'm trying another fresh install right now, adding then the files you gave me.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I was frustrated.

What launcher version do you see now? Please attach the launcher logs, thanks.