• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(174953)

Second Lieutenant
14 Badges
Oct 24, 2009
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • King Arthur II
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
Hi there folks, some of you may or may not remember me from our preview Let's play of CK2 as Leon. We're back in action in Europa Universalis IV, going in for round two! I've decided to start once again on the Iberian Peninsula since it is such a good location to take a look at all the various different gameplay mechanics. From the Open seas to hot deserts and back, Spain is the nation of EU4 variety. With it's nice starting location and endless possibility, Spain is an excellent start for the player who is just starting out. While not too big to be weighed down yet not to small to be limited, Spain can really explore the game at it's own pace. In this Let's Play we'll be going through (hopefully) every part of the game, first introducing mechanics then seeing them in action. With that said, let's take a look at Spain and what it's surroundings has to offer.

NORTH

A clash of the giants is underway to the north with the French indomitable on Europe and the British at Sea. French may start out being our Atlantic wall in North if EU3 is anything to go by. The French Giant isn't likely to fall without a sound.
EAST
Italian ambition may be our final challenge, with the claims from both the French and the Austrians a Spanish contender may shake things up. This'll be possible one of the hardest route to go by, one needs to carefully use his diplomats as to weave the diplomatic web in his favor, while keeping keen on his military ventures.
SOUTH
South of the Strait lies the riches of North Africa. A safe location to expand our empire, the only question is can we eat it all at once or only bite by bite? Conquest, and Religion will reign supreme here.
WEST

The Americas might just be the brightest star out. The glory, the riches, the adventure lies just barely out of reach but in due time we will venture forth!

With the possibilities mapped out, I've set up a simple plan for our game. With our campaign not yet started, the outline looks like this. We'll start small by retaking what little the moors still hold. Then make the stride over the straits to take plunder while on the home front we work towards the formation of Spain. By the time we hold North Africa and have formed Spain nice and proper, it should be time to take to the New World. At that point, anything goes!

1. Get settled down in the Iberian Peninsula
  2. Venture into North Africa
  3. Send forth the Expeditions to the New World
  4. Reap the plunder and fund our rise through Europe by Sword or Pride

Let's Play Europa Universalis 4 IV Playthrough Part 1 Spain

[video=youtube_share;2pepYGRty7k]http://youtu.be/2pepYGRty7k[/video]

Part 2
Series Playlist
I'll be setting up a playlist as we proceed into the Let's Play, so far I've got about two hours of footage. I'll be uploading over the next few days. In the mean time feel free to drop by my channel and subscribe for automated notifications that way you won't have to check back. I hope you enjoy the show!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Pewpewchewchew

Episode 1-10 Recap

Now that we are about ten episodes into the series, let's do a little recap for people. We started off as Castile as Spain isn't technically present at game start. After taking power and pushing the moors back to the North African coast we went onto the offensive pushing into Morocco and Algiers. Since Castile is scripted to have two below average kings, our progress was stalled for sometime due to how the three power resources used to "core" provinces and advance in tech. Due to the nature of the culture of the coast, we required 200% more Administrative power to cover a single province onto the coast. With our monthly gains in admin power only being 4 purchasing the cores at a price hovering around the 300 point mark was quite time costly.

During our ventures into North Africa, Aragon our natural rival was busy forging it's self powerful alliances. While they were not in a position to attack us, their relations with Savoy& Portugal and later on Austria was a severe hamper to the formation of Spain. However due to a historical event which occurred nearing the year 1490 , we were able to forge a personal union with Aragon effectively putting a nation that was under -100 relations with us, into our control.

Our game picked up the pace considerably once we had formed Spain and reached the new world. Picking up the Exploration&Expansion idea trees really helped propel us forward. After leapfrogging to Brazil through West Africa evading the necessary tech or advisory levels normally needed to get to the new world, we being setting up shop. At this point we had a good king providing more than enough influence to really level forward our ideas tree boosting our colonial abilities. From here Spain entered what seems like a golden age. With the integration of Aragon, and later on Portugal we snubbed off all the major trade powers in the Iberian region thus allowing us to generate copious amounts of money out of the Sevillia Trade Hub
Playlist

Last edited:
This is great, but couldn't you post them here? I can watch right away by clicking part one, but have to wait and inordinate amount of time when I have to download from youtube.

Now that we are about ten episodes into the series, let's do a little recap for people. We started off as Castile as Spain isn't technically present at game start. After taking power and pushing the moors back to the North African coast we went onto the offensive pushing into Morocco and Algiers. Since Castile is scripted to have two below average kings, our progress was stalled for sometime due to how the three power resources used to "core" provinces and advance in tech. Due to the nature of the culture of the coast, we required 200% more Administrative power to cover a single province onto the coast. With our monthly gains in admin power only being 4 purchasing the cores at a price hovering around the 300 point mark was quite time costly.

During our ventures into North Africa, Aragon our natural rival was busy forging it's self powerful alliances. While they were not in a position to attack us, their relations with Savoy& Portugal and later on Austria was a severe hamper to the formation of Spain. However due to a historical event which occurred nearing the year 1490 , we were able to forge a personal union with Aragon effectively putting a nation that was under -100 relations with us, into our control.

Our game picked up the pace considerably once we had formed Spain and reached the new world. Picking up the Exploration&Expansion idea trees really helped propel us forward. After leapfrogging to Brazil through West Africa evading the necessary tech or advisory levels normally needed to get to the new world, we being setting up shop. At this point we had a good king providing more than enough influence to really level forward our ideas tree boosting our colonial abilities. From here Spain entered what seems like a golden age. With the integration of Aragon, and later on Portugal we snubbed off all the major trade powers in the Iberian region thus allowing us to generate copious amounts of money out of the Sevillia Trade Hub
Playlist

As mentioned in the youtube comments, you can see your on the map claims/cores by clicking on the diplomacy mapmode, and then clicking on your country.

I'm currently playing a Castille->Spain playthrough myself (second attempt after misunderstanding everything about the EU4 is played in the first one), so I think I can provide some advice because I've "been there, done that". Also because I am playing a game, I didn't feel like watching every second of your videos, so while I vaguely remember the first two from when they were first posted, I've skipped straight to the latest one, so if I say something you've covered, I apologize in advance.

At 13:07 in part 9, you mention that your inflation has been going down despite generating so much revenue. I'm not sure if that was just a stab at game mechanics not really reflecting real life, or confusion from EU3. Inflation is no longer tied to minting or making money, instead it's all from loans, events, and... gold mines.

At 21:46 I finally catch a glimpse of your current ideas, so now I can hazard a guess: At the beginning of the game, your inflation increased due to castille's reliance on gold mines, but as you got bigger more money came from trade, so you started getting a bit less inflation. Since your inflation is going down, that probably means you have an advisor that gives -0.1 inflation. There is also idea slot, Economics, that has an idea in it that provides -0.1 inflation, but I don't think inflation will be that much of a concern to you now that you will be earning more money from trade, unless you go around conquering every gold province in the game!

I also notice you have 3 diplomatic idea slots now. May I make a recommendation? Make your next idea slot a military one. There seems to be plenty of use for the admin points as I conquer various little nations overseas, but quite often if I get a decent ruler those military points need somewhere to go (at one point I actually just took 5 year ahead penalty since i didn't want to lose military points after i hit 999, and my cash reserves were low from an extended war with France to build any manpower buildings anywhere). I recommend Defensive as the bonuses it gives can be vital, especially if you and France go to war later on. It causes their doomstacks to suffer a lot of attrition, while yours suffer less, AND earlier on it gives good bonuses to tradition and siege, making your colonial conquests go even quicker. Right now you are having to balance taking diplomatic tech as well as three different idea choices. AND you are going to eventually have to take the Diplomacy idea line (because it's just too useful with -25% cost to coring, and the unjustified demands and the relations AND .... it's just so good).

My current plan is to eventually take the Religious Idea slot as well, but since I want to keep teching in admin, there's no real point. This game is great in how the idea slots and points really make you think long term in how to plan things out.

I've currently got a PU with Portugal in my game, but I'm really hoping I get cores when I integrate it, since I can't inherit them because they are too big... Hopefully you post the next video soon with the successful integration of Portugal and answer that question!

Last edited: