Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica - Dev diary 1: Merchant Republics/National Focus

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like colonial nations but I wish the regions weren't as unified.

I'd like to see colonial regions still rebel as one and get taxed as one, but I wish they were represented as many small states that remained as such after they became independent and could be unified as one country by event or conquest.

Although, I understand the reason this doesn't happen is they would get gobbled up fast.

I like colonial nations but I wish the regions weren't as unified.

I'd like to see colonial regions still rebel as one and get taxed as one, but I wish they were represented as many small states that remained as such after they became independent and could be unified as one country by event or conquest.

Although, I understand the reason this doesn't happen is they would get gobbled up fast.

It would be nice if there were changes where colonial nations becomes divided into subcultures over time while retaining top culture as either their mother country's or colonial culture (e.g. as English or American respectively for Thirteen Colonies). For example, Thirteen Colonies historically became divided into subcultures between northern and southern regions. The Vicky2 shows it well by dividing United States into Dixie and Yankee culture regions in South and North respectively. So basically, Thirteen Colonies, as a colony of England/Great Britain, at top culture level would be either English or American but Yankee (or Northerner, whatever designation) and Dixie (or Southerner or whatever else) as subculture depending on which subregion of that CN the province is in.

I don't know if there were similar subcultural divides across other historical colonial nations but I can't imagine why they wouldn't, although they would probably not be that apparent as was in Thirteen Colonies. From what I can see, Mexico and Brazil were rather large for a colonial nation in history so it must have split into subcultures, too, but I don't have information yet to confirm this.

I don't know if there were similar subcultural divides across other historical colonial nations but I can't imagine why they wouldn't, although they would probably not be that apparent as was in Thirteen Colonies. From what I can see, Mexico and Brazil were rather large for a colonial nation in history so it must have split into subcultures, too, but I don't have information yet to confirm this.

As a brazilian I can vouche for that, we do have a huge amount of cultural disparity although we all consider ourselves brazilians.
Brazil is divided in five macro regions, that are more of academical purposes but they almost separate the cultures found here well.

The Northeastern is basically the following provinces in EU4: Maranhão, Alpercatas, Ceará, Oeiras, Rio Grande, Itamaracá, Pernambuco, Bahia, Ilhéus, Diamentina (actually it's Diamantina, but this is probably archaic portuguese) and Porto Seguro.
As of right now, Maranhão would be the only Notheastern province that actually has more cultural similarities with the Nothern Region (Tucujulândia and Grão Pará), while all the other provinces share a lot of cultural background.

The only representatives of current West Central region are Goiás and Mato Grosso, their culture could be considered a mix of Nothern and Northeastern tradition, mostly because of the late colonization of the area.

Then we have the Southeast Region that is harder to explain with the current period so I'll just stick with the time frame of the game where they do share a similar background, considering themselves as the economical, cultural jewel of Brazil while the rest is inhabited by backwaters by the time of the napoleonic wars, they comprise the following (Espírito Santo, São Tomé, Rio de Janeiro, Santo Amaro, Minas Gerais, São Vicente).

The South region is the La Plata region (Santana, Tapé and Patos) and that one was inhabited by spanish most of the time, with a few Portuguese descendents herding vast amount of cattle. They even considered themselves a different people and started a war of seccession which famous Italian hero, Giuseppe Garibaldi fought with them but they were eventually defeated (there's even a town with his name). During the very last period of the game (1810+) Brazil was the target of an European Diáspora and most of the south region was populated by italians, germans, ukrainians, austrians, polish and even a few japanese populated that region. Hell, as far as I know, there are still some small villages down there that they almost never speak portuguese...

So, there it is. A brief history of brazilian colonization for you guys.
[video=youtube;kdrjzE1SE58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdrjzE1SE58[/video]

Last edited:
"In addition to these changes, we’ve also made life a little easier for some of the slower tech groups by removing all monarch power penalties associated with technology groups, so Chinese nations will no longer gain -1 to all monarch powers, African nations will no longer gain -2, and so on."

Does this mean Westernization loses even more of its punch?

In addition to these changes, we’ve also made life a little easier for some of the slower tech groups by removing all monarch power penalties associated with technology groups, so Chinese nations will no longer gain -1 to all monarch powers, African nations will no longer gain -2, and so on.

New world? No change?

And - is the North American techgroup will have to change in techcost?

In addition to these changes, we’ve also made life a little easier for some of the slower tech groups by removing all monarch power penalties associated with technology groups, so Chinese nations will no longer gain -1 to all monarch powers, African nations will no longer gain -2, and so on.

I appreciate any work to keep ROTW playable and fun.

I like a lot of the changes here but... I still feel like the game is just too heavily controlled by monarch points and when I saw another mechanic dominated by monarch points it kind of ruined the whole thing for me :/ Good work with many of the changes but does the game really have to be so heavily based on dice rolls from how god your kind is?

New Spain was probably more diverse than the Thirteen Colonies.

The Yucatan Peninsula in the southeast still remained mostly Mayan and Mestizo (Mixed) at independence, as did Central America. Central America eventually declared independence from Mexico altogether and Yucatan rebelled a few times and was independent for a while.

Central Mexico was very densely populated by different native populations. Some of the native nations helped the Spanish in the conquista and were given some self rule by the government of New Spain so they retained some cultural distinctiveness, these became their own states at independence, even though by then (300 years later) their populations had become mostly mestizo with the spanish language and culture almost completely replacing the native ones and unifying cultural traits in urban areas across the region. By game terms the result of this can be considered a single culture.

Northern Mexico was much less populated by natives (that's why you can colonize that in EU4) so the population was mostly descended from the Spanish, even today the population of those states is mostly white. So this is the only region where a EU 'Castilian' culture is a good representation. Though in reality all Iberian cultures as well as Basques sent colonists over, with Andalusians outnumbering Castilians at some point.

You can see this in a map of Mexican states, bigger with straighter and longer borders in the north and south, smaller and with very odd shapes in the center.