Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 17 – Honey, don’t you want to talk about it?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Like the changes to diplomacy, but there is one thing you've written that reminds me of a change in 1.09 for CK II that really I don't like. I fear, that the same problems will apply in EU 4 if we get progress bars instead of dates in the diplomatic interface. The progress of holding improvements in CK II are now shown as progress bar instead of an written end date in the outliner. This is really confusing, because you can't see at one glance how long it takes to finish the construction, as you don't see how fast the bar moves, if you play on slow speed or have paused the game. We would need to have different sized progress bars to see that at a glance. Additionally you get no tooltip about the date, if you hover your mouse over the progress bar. So you have to navigate to the province on the map to place the mouse exactly over the animation in the province, to get the date. I hope for EU IV that the progress bars at least show by default the date as tooltip. An option to switch progress bars and dates would be great, but I can understand, that this would mean a lot of work for the ui designers.

Looks good, especially the addition of setting rivals.

I wonder if the "agressive expansion" penalty is different for different countries, i.e. the old "if I expand into Islam territiry, Islam nations should hate me but Christian countries no so much" phenomenon.

We don't know what that means though. It could be a modifier specifically for provinces taken with no CB or something.

Nah, it's pretty self-explanatory. Its a way to replace badboy for sure. As for taking provinces without CBs, I'll bet you an italian province with a university that it's going to work exactly like in CK2; wont be able to DOW without CBs.

Looks brilliant, should completely revolutionise diplomacy. However, will there be a modifier to take distance into account? for example, China really shouldn't care how much Brittany has been expanding in Europe no matter what.

Great Britain formed in 1471?! They must be contained! Nerf! Nerf!

Looks brilliant, should completely revolutionise diplomacy. However, will there be a modifier to take distance into account? for example, China really shouldn't care how much Brittany has been expanding in Europe no matter what.

Agreed. Rather, they should be impressed by such conquests.

Great Britain formed in 1471?! They must be contained! Nerf! Nerf!

Agreed. Rather, they should be impressed by such conquests.

I had the impression it was confirmed that closer nations, and nations fearing your expansion etc, will start hating you alot more then others. If Brandenburg annex Magdeburg I'm sure China can't care less in EU4.

Looks like some good changes. Glad to see an overhaul of the dip system to bring it more into line with the CK2 system.

I will however also say that I support CanOmer's request, as it would make reading the map much simpler:

Nice improvements to diplomacy, thanks. I want to suggest that vassals and PU nations should be surrounded with color of their masters in political map:

vassalspus.png

Ingame
eu4_4.jpg

How do the negative conquest relations modifiers work with holy wars? If I'm playing a Christian country and conquer Egypt in an act of aggression, will all of my Christian neighbours gets really angry? You'd think a successful pseudo-crusade would cause them to pat me on the back! :p

This is probably the one thing that really irked me about the badboy system in EU3. Holy wars should make everyone angry EXCEPT for the countries sharing your religion!

Impact of expansion depends on what you conquer and how those countries view it.

Poland won't care much if you conquer Tangiers as Castille, but Aragon & Portugal may be a bit wary, while Morocco & Algiers will hate it.

Impact of expansion depends on what you conquer and how those countries view it.

Poland won't care much if you conquer Tangiers as Castille, but Aragon & Portugal may be a bit wary, while Morocco & Algiers will hate it.

Sounds great, but what are the exact mechanics? Is it whether countries border ones you've conquered, or regions, or continents?

loving this.
is the "claims on our rivals" event still in the game?

loving this.
is the "claims on our rivals" event still in the game?

Hopefully nerfed alot, so you never get 4 cores at once at least, and on different countries. I always restarted my games as Brandenburg (or any others) if I got that one. Made my games so easy it was painfull.

Last edited:
Loving it, the UI is informative and not text spammy like the old one, its beautiful and slick. I would give someone's arm in roder to be able to alpha/beta this game!