Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise – Dev diary 2: Exploring a new world

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The screens you see are not final.

In my opinion shoulb generated also the submerged parts of the random continents, there is too much difference between the vanilla continets with the various differences of depth, and the "random americas" that seem to come from nowhere in the middle of the deep ocean.

Yes, indeed. It would be nice if the generated map would fit into the climatical zones of the earth as seen here.

1024px-Klimag%C3%BCrtel-der-erde.png

+1

Could be cool for a more coherent and nice new world. Even if is not a perfect thing

I hate this dlc. Random world phew. What next? Aliens on Mars? But its promises are so corrupting, that I can't wait to play the expansion! :laugh:

Is an historical DLC with an ahistorical option

Am I a mad fool to think that combining a CK II savegame (If that co operates with this DLC) with the Sunset Invasion activated. Combined with this DLC would be hilarious? (Again, if possible)

No but you are way too optimistic,Although that'd be pretty amazing,

Uhh... the screenshots of the randomized new worlds look pretty bad. I was hoping there would be something in place trying to make the continents at least remotely plausible looking instead of 12-year-old's first fantasy continents.

oh, come on, paradox is really a good company in delivering on what they promise. If it's not included right now and they say it will be, than it will be. And always that braging about "I paid I want blablabla" go back playing EA games, you'll pay much more for far less.

Ahh yes, I'm totally bragging about having paid for dlc that I may or may not have, seeing as that wasn't my argument at all, nor was anything of the sort stated. Also, insta-assuming I'm some mouth breathing EA drone, because I dared to state my opinion in a thread of overwhelming appraisal, just highlights the pretentiousness that has seeped into the Paradox community. I have just as much of a right to express my opinion as anyone else in this thread.

The amount of provinces is not constant. There will never be more, but there can be fewer.
I think that in hardcore mode there should be some kind of America with 0 provinces. Just a massive kick in the balls to whoever is hoping to colonize.

And more seriously, I hope you guys include some kind of mini-customizer in this - I would really like to give my colonies custom names without having to mess around with the game files, since Steam probably will look down on that and won't let me do Iron-man games. I know it's a bit of work, but it would be nice if a "Name your colony" feature could be implemented. The Thirteen Shynk's of America will surely be grateful to you for implementing this into this already cool looking DLC.

Shall we try to list all the new tribes that are legible?
From west to east, in the Video:
- Shoshone
- Blackfoot
- Assiniboine
- Pima
- Apache
- Navajo
- Pueblo
- Comanche
- Pawnee
- Sioux
- Osage
- Caddo
- Fox
- Ojibwe
- Cree
- Ottawa
- Miami
- Choctaw
- Chickasaw
- Powhatan
- Susquehannock
- Mahican
- Abanaki
- Mikmac

Uncertain:
- Illiniwek
- Cheyenne

And how can you not love that Swedish propaganda speech at the end of the video?

Will there be any new tribes in Central/South America? Even on the random maps, all the names that I could make out seem to be from North America.

Last edited:
Does anybody with me share a feeling that new random world is rather poorly made? Those two example maps reminds me of generic civ4 maps: faceless and done with no imagination.

Im pretty sure this new feature is non-modable, so we are stuck with whatever it rolls.

I dont really fire up about this new dlc or expansion. Not intrested to buy this if new world is a case like a big island on north and another big island on south. And non-modable.

I think it's an awesome idea. I like the randomized new world a lot and think it's already a huge improvement. And seeing as it will surely look even cooler when it's finished, I'm pretty certain I'll never play a game with the real new world again :D

can another country use a war option to free colonies from their colonies masters and if so is there counter measures to stop the colonies then being vassaled by others?

I'm not too fussed about the random New World. From those screenshots it looks fairly bad -- reminds me of Civ, frankly -- and if the random continents look like that when it ships then I probably won't bother playing with that mode enabled. I'll just stick to the Americas as they are!

But the other additions look brilliant. More Native American depth is always fun, but the extra layers added to colony management are exactly what this game needs and a perfect addition. I can't wait to see those in action :D

Looks like some good old regular noise with some mountains spinkled on top. Can't exactly remember what the method was called, but the provinces seem to be made by choosing a bunch of points, and then assigning each pixel(the map is saved like a picture, I presume?) to the closest one. If I were you, I would make the provinces rounder by having the location of each pixel be offset by another low octave noise generator for the purposes of determining the closest province centre. But you would of course need to generate two more noise maps for that, which might take a long time.

I'm guessing most of the work was in making the engine not throw a hissy fit at a part of its map being replaced, so I expect great improvements to the generation. Looking forward to seeing how you solve the current problems(even if only to get inspiration for my own project) and I hope you decide to work on making it compatible with the CK2->EU4 converter.

Give us huge rainforests!