Europa Universalis IV - A Guide to Crushing Freedom, Video Dev Diary: Exploration

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One of the complaints I always hear about EU3 was that colonial revolters stood no chance of ever actually forming and kicking Europe out of the Americas. I've only had so many chance to spectate my friends playtime after 1750, but I have dug through the files and saw that colonial rebels only get ONE army. They wound up in several wars against all of Europe at times (why THAT happened I'll never know)... with ONE army. I'm assuming that EU4 will use the US as the model revolter, considering the "founding fathers" bit. In that war, the US had numbers which actually overwhelmed the British (Militia, our regulars were not nearly so numerous) and that local numerical advantage and the logistics of an internalized line of supply was essentially how we beat them and their darn hessians. That was a laughable outcome in EU3 if the files are any indication of the norm.

Will EU4 fix that? Will colonial revolts be the very large, extremely hard to stop tides that they were in history, or will it be another "joke of a whack-a-mole" as they're called?

(PS I'm very mad at you, Paradox. I never preorder games on principle, prefering instead to read reviews, play them or at least watch friends play to be sure it's worth my $$$, but you foul temptors have swayed me and I just bought EU4 Extreme).

(02:55) So Castille is to the West of Portugal now? That's worrying.

no! it was recently discovered with a new find of ancient maps that portugal is indeed to the east of castille, all modern maps have strangely been incorrect...

no! it was recently discovered with a new find of ancient maps that portugal is indeed to the east of castille, all modern maps have strangely been incorrect...
Yeh we got the compass direcions wrong due to some monk in avgnon drawing maps for the king in the 1300s

One of the complaints I always hear about EU3 was that colonial revolters stood no chance of ever actually forming and kicking Europe out of the Americas. I've only had so many chance to spectate my friends playtime after 1750, but I have dug through the files and saw that colonial rebels only get ONE army. They wound up in several wars against all of Europe at times (why THAT happened I'll never know)... with ONE army. I'm assuming that EU4 will use the US as the model revolter, considering the "founding fathers" bit. In that war, the US had numbers which actually overwhelmed the British (Militia, our regulars were not nearly so numerous) and that local numerical advantage and the logistics of an internalized line of supply was essentially how we beat them and their darn hessians. That was a laughable outcome in EU3 if the files are any indication of the norm.

I seem to recall that revolts now are launched by a group of rebel armies in all affected provinces instead of 1 at a time, and in exchange revolts should not happen as often. I suspect that colonial revolutions will cause a mass rebellion in all of your colonies for a potential colonial rebellion (or the wealthy provinces of the region).

Will EU4 fix that? Will colonial revolts be the very large, extremely hard to stop tides that they were in history, or will it be another "joke of a whack-a-mole" as they're called?

(PS I'm very mad at you, Paradox. I never preorder games on principle, prefering instead to read reviews, play them or at least watch friends play to be sure it's worth my $$$, but you foul temptors have swayed me and I just bought EU4 Extreme).

I'm sure that, like all revolts, the colonial independence revolts will be an organized revolt from multiple applicable overseas colonies. What I'm worried about more is how the AI will deal with strange colonial borders with revolting, but only time (or the devs) will tell the tale on that.

I would hope so.... forming Spain sans Aragon seems wrong. I mean, I guess Portugal could be a decent substitute, but still.

I think you can form Spain without Aragon and it gives you cores on Aragon. Just that it's much harder to do. Or perhaps in that game Aragon broke away from Spain after it's formation (possible but majorly unlikely)

Yeah. If Aragon is a junior partner in vassalage then you can form Spain and release them, and it grants cores (at least as of the last time I garnered information on the subject, but that is rather old)
I don't like it, it seems wrong. EU4 is supposed to be dynamic in most respects, so you shouldn't have to rely on Spain appearing in every game. It was a unification of Castile and Aragon, and eventually Portugal for a while as well. Castile shouldn't just automatically become Spain.

I have to point out that the religious migration and founding fathers were both in EU3. Religious migration was simply a minor headache, while the founding fathers seemed to be a complete waste of time. I never once had a founding father even attempt to create a new nation. Can we assume that we're going to get a little more for our money than these two (rather lame) old features from EU3?

Awwwwww yeah guys! Here's looking forward to seeing some of this action later on in-game! :cool:

[video=youtube;nrvpZxMfKaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrvpZxMfKaU&list=FLRcF8cEwj6FFf602QaZn_xQ&index=29[/video]

With the interesting national ideas of Norway, I will try to go for an colonial empire in the Americas this time around. Never enjoyed Norway games much in the previous EU titles. Really looking forward to this. ;)

Norway

National Ideas
Norway starts with 20% cheaper Light Ships, and 20% Light Ship Combat ability.
  1. Norwegian Fishing: +10% Production Efficiency
  2. Natural Seamanship: +0.33 Naval Morale
  3. Norwegian Shipbuilding: -10% Ship Cost
  4. Call of Our Forefathers: Allows Exploration and gives +33% Colonial Range.
  5. Pioneer Spirit: +1 Colonist
  6. Seize the Opportunity: +10% Trade Power
  7. Write new Sagas: +1 Prestige & 5% Discipline
When Norway has all their ideas they get a +20% bonus to trade steering. They have possibilities to forge a colonial empire without sacrificing an ideagroup for it, and also get benefits to become a decent naval and trade power.

:cool:

Funny that he mentions destroying Revolutions across the high seas. I intend on forming a large colonial empire, so it collapses and nations rise in the new world!

I agree. It can be fun to build up colonies in the new world, and then go for a more hands off approach when they have become self sustainable.