• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, and welcome back to Europa Universalis IV. Last week we talked about features, where most of them will be in the free update, but todays feature will all be part of the next expansion.

First of all, I’d like to mention that we are adding a new government form called English Monarchy, which England will start with. It will give +0.5 Legitimacy, -1 Unrest, -0.1 Monthly Autonomy and give them access to a Parliament.

So what is a Parliament? It is a new mechanic that Constitutional Monarchies & Constitutional Republics has as well. A Parliament is a political body inside your country, which will have debates that if they pass will give you benefits for a decade.

There is quite a lot of different possible debates, and you are allowed to pick one of five random eligible ones.

To have a debate pass, you need to have a majority of the seats backing the issue. Of course, when an debate is started, all seats are against it, and you need to convince them to back it.

Every Seat of Parliament will have their own reasons you must fullfill to have them back an issue, and their reasons will be different for each issue. A coastal Seat of Parliament may want to be Granted Navy commissions, which reduces your naval tradition, while another Seat may want monetary compensation, while another want some military support, or a fourth want some more autonomy. Luckily, you only have to get half of them to support you to get the debate passed.

Any non-overseas province can be granted a Seat in Parliament and your capital will always have a Seat. There is no way to remove a seat in Parliament, unless the province is lost.

A Seat gets +10% to tax, production & manpower, while reducing autonomy by 0.01 per month. However each Seat increases stability & war-exhaustion costs by 2%.

You are also required to grant at least of 20% of your non-overseas cores a Seat in Parliament, and if you have less than that, one random will be picked for you. There is alert if less than a third of your non-overseas cores have a Seat.

If there is no current debate, nor any active benefits of an issue, you will slowly lose legitimacy & republican tradition. And if a debate fails, you will lose 20 prestige, so it is not the end of the world, but its not something you want to happen all the time.

Here are three examples of current issues that can be pushed through your parliament.

Backing the War Effort is available if you are at war, and will give you +1 stability when passed, and a 10 year benefit of -0.05 War Exhaustion, and +10% Manpower recovery

Charter Colonies
is available if you have either filled the Expansion or Exloration ideagroup, and gives a +10 year benefit of +1 colonist and +20 colonial growth.

Increase Taxes
will give you about 1/4th of a years income, and increase your tax-income by 10% for 10 years.

Of course, all of these values will change the more we playtest it.

Only countries with Parliaments will get a button, opening the Parliament View, near the Papacy & HRE buttons. And yes, the button you talked about last week, in the province interface, is the one indicating if its a seat of parliament or not.

U4wjCj1.jpg

Next week, we'll focus on why we build walls.

I do think that having to take small penalties to gain support in specific provinces just isn't enough for this to be a worthwhile mechanic.

I've got a few ideas that might make it more interesting. First off, I think each province with a Parliament should have a loyalty score, which determines whether or not that province will support your actions. Periodically they gain demands and dislikes. Demands can be stuff like developments, a desire to be at peace, adopting certain ideas, taking special decisions, ect. Dislikes can be stuff like being at war, developing technology, converting religion or culture of provinces, ect. Alternatively, it could be a demeanor of the province which have fixed likes and dislikes. Doing what they like increases loyalty, doing what they dislike decreases loyalty. Overextention and unrest in a province decrease loyalty. You can also fulfill a request from a province every five years at a small penalty for a one time boost to loyalty. If you have the loyalty of at least half of your provinces, then you gain bonuses. Lose too much loyalty, or if the loyalty of a single province gets too low, then unrest starts to build up. Stability is lost. Eventually you'll end up in a disaster situation.

The other main idea is factions in your parliament. Basically groups of provinces that have a common demand for the player that has a much bigger effect then any of these smaller ones. Stuff like: locking out the use of missionaries, forcing you to gain an increased/decreased modifier, requiring you to declare war on a rival, to break off an unpopular alliance or royal marriage, to complete a specific mission, demanding that the king abdicate or disown a low claim heir, ect. Actions that are a big deal and will impact your game significantly, but give you a lot more support instantly. Hopefully there would be lots of ones that you can't just finish immediately, but take some time and effort to do.

And imagine possible fun when some seats are Protestant and other Catholic! (in general when they are heretic, or you want to send missionary).
Additionally I do not think that the same continent is good enough. Why newly conquered sunni province should be given representative?

Reactions:
I've been waiting for this sort of thing FOREVER! This is fricking sweet.

I will reiterate the questions others have raises about the Civil War, and also is there a possibility to change to an Absolute Monarchy like the Stuarts wanted?

Reactions:
It's a good step forward. But it wasn't that difficult. I mean, you have already the perfect Parliamentary system. Just take the EU: Rome's one and adapt it to EU IV. EU Rome's Senate was an awesome feature that gave you a LOT of peace time gamplay. This system looks too symplistic to me. You just choose a feature in exchange for a penalty to gain support. But apparently you don't actually interact with the parliament and its factions, leader factions and members as you did in EU Rome's Senate. There should be factions like liberals and conservatives or something like that (instead of the 4 factions that there were in Rome) to make it realistic. And as many have pointed out, it should be tied to things like policies, DIPLOMACY (important in my view), EVENTS (chain of events, that is basic), maybe ideas, national decisions, religious, etc.

With only fulfilling that, you could make a hole expansion out of this parliamentary thing.

Reactions:
What about the Swedish Ståndriksdag (The riksdag of the estates), will we see that? The riksdag had major political influence in sweden over the course of years, especially during the Frihetstiden, or Age of Liberty.

It's a good step forward. But it wasn't that difficult. I mean, you have already the perfect Parliamentary system. Just take the EU: Rome's one and adapt it to EU IV. EU Rome's Senate was an awesome feature that gave you a LOT of peace time gamplay. This system looks too symplistic to me. You just choose a feature in exchange for a penalty to gain support. But apparently you don't actually interact with the parliament and its factions, leader factions and members as you did in EU Rome's Senate. There should be factions like liberals and conservatives or something like that (instead of the 4 factions that there were in Rome) to make it realistic. And as many have pointed out, it should be tied to things like policies, DIPLOMACY (important in my view), EVENTS (chain of events, that is basic), maybe ideas, national decisions, religious, etc.

With only fulfilling that, you could make a hole expansion out of this parliamentary thing.
Liberals and conservatives were in late 18th century and mostly in 19th century. In the game's time frame there were MANY, MANY different factions: pro/anti religion, pro/anti country, pro/anti candidate to the throne but there was not ideological disputes, ideology was not a matter of policy.

Setting up of an intelligent system for creating factions and their tasks, a system that recognizes the current situation and sets interesting goals for the player, it is very difficult.

Reactions:
Most important of all: Will there be any localization of the name of Parliament?

For example, for Americans, it could be Congress, for Italians it could be Senate, for Germans it could be Diet, etc. etc.

EDIT: Also, whats with the Netherlands in the screenshot. Its looking significantly less... Burgundy.

Reactions:
Liberals and conservatives were in late 18th century and mostly in 19th century. In the game's time frame there were MANY, MANY different factions: pro/anti religion, pro/anti country, pro/anti candidate to the throne but there was not ideological disputes, ideology was not a matter of policy.
Yes yes, and social classes such as clergy, peasants, bourgeoisie, etc. That's why I said "or something". It was just an example. But there should be something like that to add flavour and fun to the system and make it a true mechanic like religion, HRE and not just a feature like the Trade Companies.

Reactions:
I might have phrased it in a wrong way.

Will any other country be able to select/receive Elective Monarchy or this is Poland/PLC exclusive (the same for Dutch Republic and their factions. I guess the answer is no.

no, only those countries.

Reactions:
While not quite the gamechanger that the last dev dairy is, this looks v. cool. I haven't played EUIV in a while but it seems this patch will sucker me back in. The only thing I dont like is the penalty for not using the parliament. The parliament is already giving you buffs so forgoing the buffs would seem to be penalty enough.

This seems like the sort of thing that could apply to a lot of countries outside of England. Would it be possible to mod it to effect other government types but have better options available for countries like England with formal parliamentary systems?

What about the Swedish Ståndriksdag (The riksdag of the estates), will we see that? The riksdag had major political influence in sweden over the course of years, especially during the Frihetstiden, or Age of Liberty.

In Norway they had something similar to the time when Denmark-Norway became protestant, "riksrådet" which approved the king and had also other influences on the country, but in praksis it was the heir that was choosen, which was the crown prince of Denmark(-Norway).

This has got to be patch 2.0, rather than 1.12.

Wiz wants to call it that, due to the large amount of huge changes.. And we're updating the engine as well.

I just like having larger numbers.

Reactions:
Wiz wants to call it that, due to the large amount of huge changes.. And we're updating the engine as well.

I just like having larger numbers.
"Updating the engine"
Devblog please! :)
New capabilities?
Performance?
Graphics? (closer to HoI?)

Current version is 2.5 right?

Technical mumbo-jump might not be everyone's cup of tea but I find it very interesting and incredibly fascinating, especially since it's the foundation that you're building the game on.

Reactions:
Will it be possible to give seats to your vassals/colonial subjects? It would make sense if they are of the same religion, maybe the same culture etc, but it would maybe be a lot of work to implement it. I'm not a modder, so I don't have a clue if it's difficult/much work to get in.

I believe it would be just stupid if you gave parlament seats to protectocrates so for me they are out of the question.