• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 12th of January 2021

After a few weeks without Dev Diaries, I am happy to present you a new one. I hope you all had a great time during them!

When I joined Paradox in October, Polynesia was not included in this Expansion. Considering it was the last part of the Earth without representation, I thought it would be nice to have some work done on it, so I proposed some ideas that I am happy to share with you all.

But, before I start, I would like to thank @Meka66 for his help and work that has greatly inspired me for this project.

THE MAP
The map has been slightly changed, since the basic needed setup was already there. However, in order to go a bit deeper, a few provinces have been added here and there. Do note that the flags are still a placeholder and not the final result.

Starting with Fiji, the archipelago has been divided in three provinces: one for each big island (Viti Levu and Vanua Levu) and a third one for the Lau archipelago that had a great influence from Tonga. Each province has a country inhabiting it, which is an abstraction of the many clans that populated each island. Should you unite them all under your banner, you will be able to form Viti.

Fiji Archipelago.png

[Fiji Archipelago and TAGs]​

In New Zealand a new province has been added in North Island which has the most populated one by the Maori people. The number of countries, though, goes up to 7. Six of them (Mataatua, Tainui, Takitimu, Taranaki, Te Arawa and Te Tai Tokerau) are in the Northern Island and Waitaha is in the Southern One. As in the case of Fiji, a Maori country that manages to unite the area is able to form Aotearoa.

New Zealand Archipelago.png

[New Zealand Archipelago and TAGs]​

Finally, the greatest transformation has been done in the Hawaiian Archipelago, that has gone from one province to four. Each province has their own country attached (Hawai’i, Kaua’i, Maui and O’ahu). As in the other cases, there is a formable for the unifiers of the islands.

Hawaii Archipelago.png

[Hawaii Archipelago and TAGs]​

A Polynesian rework could not let the two most important countries out: Samoa and Tonga.

Samoa & Tonga Archipelago.png

[Samoan and Tongan Archipelagos and TAGs]​

THE MISSIONS
As in the case of the Americas, the mission tree consists of a general common mission tree for every country and some specific missions for each country or group of them.

Tongan Mission Tree.png

[Tonga Mission Tree]
(Notice that all icons are still placeholders)​

Tonga is probably the most important TAG during this period. Despite the fact that the Tongan Empire is no more, a skillful player could rebuild it, bringing not only the neighboring islands under the control of Tongatapu, but go even further.

Some highlights of this tree include:
  • Bringing both Fiji and Samoa under your control again.
  • Recovering the Tongan Empire.
  • Expand even further.

Samoan Mission Tree.png

[Samoan Mission Tree]
(Notice that all icons are still placeholders).​

If Tonga was the political power during the period, Samoa was the cultural one. Most of the Pacific was colonized from there and from there were most of the traditions that ruled the lives of the Polynesians.

Some highlights of this tree include:
  • Recover the place as the cultural center.
  • Challenge Tonga.
  • Replace Tonga as the main power in the Pacific.

In order to not spoil the surprise, I will let you discover what the missions for the Maori the Fijian and the Hawaiian countries consist of.

THE NATIONAL IDEAS
Adding new TAGs would not be the same if they were not accompanied by their National Ideas.

Starting with the Fijians TAGs, their warring nature brought them a reputation of ruthless combatants, feared by everyone. But Fijians were also deeply religious people and famous shipbuilding artisans. All these things are represented in their National Ideas, making them a rather expansionist set.

Code:
fijian_ideas = {
    start = {
        light_ship_power = 0.1
        naval_attrition = -0.1
    }

bonus = {
        ae_impact = -0.2
    }

trigger = {
        OR = {
            tag = LAI
            tag = VIL
            #TODO: tag = VIT
            tag = VNL
        }
    }
    free = yes

fijian_crossroad = {
        num_accepted_cultures = 2
    }
    fijian_degel = {
        range = 0.1
        global_ship_trade_power = 0.1
    }
    fijian_conjoined = {
        global_missionary_strength = 0.02
    }
    fijian_waqa = {
        prestige_from_naval = 0.4
    }
    fijian_cannibal = {
        army_tradition_from_battle = 0.25
        prestige_from_land = 0.4
    }
    fijian_kai = {
        land_attrition = -0.25
    }
    fijian_confederacy = {
        global_tax_modifier = 0.05
        production_efficiency = 0.05
    }
}
[Fijian National Ideas]​

As in the case of the Fijians, the Maori are famed for their bravery and constant warfare. Their set of ideas is focused on land combat, without disregarding ways to keep the land around a strong leader.

Code:
maori_ideas = {
    start = {
        global_regiment_recruit_speed = -0.10
        harsh_treatment_cost = -0.20
    }

bonus = {
        prestige = 1
    }

trigger = {
        primary_culture = maori
    }
    free = yes

sons_of_kupe = {
        global_sailors_modifier = 0.10
        range = 0.10
    }
    kaikiakitanga = {
        tolerance_own = 1
    }
    kaumatua = {
        stability_cost_modifier = -0.20
    }
    kapa_haka = {
        land_morale = 0.10
    }
    pa_defence = {
        fort_maintenance_modifier = -0.10
    }
    te_moko = {
        leader_land_shock = 1
    }
    maori_king = {
        core_creation = -0.10
        legitimacy = 1
    }
}
[Maori National Ideas]​

As with the missions, we’d better not spoil the surprise by showing everything, am I right? I have a challenge for those that love them: try a world conquest with a Polynesian TAG! There are a couple of things in this area that could help you in that adventure. ;)

THE EVENTS
Events are one of the parts I like the most. While not as much time as I would have liked has been available, I have added more than 40 events to the area, including general events, specific Country events and even a few Easter eggs that I hope you can find and enjoy!

Fiji Event.png

Practice is what makes you a good warrior, after all.
(Notice that all pictures are still placeholders).

Hawaii Event.png

This event can be very nasty if you are in a very bad shape.
(Notice that all pictures are still placeholders).

Samoan Event.png

As Samoa, you will be given the choice to reform your society a bit or go on with the traditions with every ruler.
(Notice that all pictures are still placeholders).​

THE EXTRAS
There are a few things that have been added in order to create a bigger sense of immersion.

Maori culture has been created, separated from the main Polynesian branch. By the start of the game, the Maori were abandoning the Archaic Maori Period and entering a transformation one. The Iwi became more sedentary and their once pacific nature became more warlike as competition for resources becomes more central. New traditions had evolved by this time that justifies separating them from their islander cousins.

A new Polynesian technology group has been created. This technology group is between that of the Mesoamericans and the North Americans in penalty, but starts at tech 2.

Most Estates have been renamed to their proper versions to increase the flavor.

And some extra surprises here and there.

For now this is all. We still have lots of things to show, so just be patient and enjoy the time in between, everything will come!

Last edited:
  • 173Like
  • 80Love
Reactions:
Super cool! Hey, I'm an avid played of both CK3 and CS, and I'm also postdoc researcher who works on pre-history of the Pacific. Is there any chance you'd include more of Remote Oceania, or even all of Oceania? Popular media is already so fascinated with Polynesia, and New Caledonia, Solomons, Vanuatu etc tend to not get much love. Polynesia is already very hyped and sometimes fetished, especially in the US. It'd be fun to see more of Oceania represented for once :)

I know historians and people from the Pacific who may be able to contribute more information if you need.

Jag råkar också vara svensk, men jag antar att dom flesta devs inte är svenskar?

One of the reason part of the community is against the inclusion of pacific natives as playable states is due to their historical maritime inactivity in this period, how will this be addressed? It would be a bit immersion breaking to see Maori ships in SEA.
I am an academic working on the Pacific. I'm not sure I understand. We know that people in the Pacific maintaining long-distance sailing throughout history. I'm not sure exactly what time frame this expansion is working from, but I doubt there is that much of a lull.

Also, I play CK3 a lot and my immersion isn't broken when my Mongolian ruler in the Caucasus gets aid from her ally in southern India, even though I doubt that's very plausible historically. I don't play EU, but it doesn't strike me as that different.

Different folks different strokes, but I don't think this is a valid argument.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Is there any chance to add indigenous country in taiwan?
I think the Tsou tribe would be a nice catch

Reactions:
This needs another looking at. Te Tai Tokerau and Waitaha in particular are absurd names. Te Tai Tokerau is not and has never been a name for a political entity. It is a direction—north. Consider Nga Puhi or Ngapuhi. Waitaha is not a political entity either. Ngaitahu or Kaitahu would be the proper name. Mataatua also is a marae, not a people, and should be called Ngati Awa.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This needs another looking at. Te Tai Tokerau and Waitaha in particular are absurd names. Te Tai Tokerau is not and has never been a name for a political entity. It is a direction—north. Consider Nga Puhi or Ngapuhi. Waitaha is not a political entity either. Ngaitahu or Kaitahu would be the proper name. Mataatua also is a marae, not a people, and should be called Ngati Awa.
Great points well made. As a Māori New Zealander I'm going to have to edit these into more accurate custom nations every time so that my brain doesn't melt.

Reactions:
Great points well made. As a Māori New Zealander I'm going to have to edit these into more accurate custom nations every time so that my brain doesn't melt.
I actually think this deserves some volume. It’s a couple of lines in a localisation file—VERY easy for them to fix in ten minutes. If you put together a list of more sensible names and chuck it in the suggestions forum we might be able to get some traction.

Locations deserve another look as well—that Waitaha tag just makes no sense, if there has to be a tag in Te Wai Pounamu it should be at the top of the South Island, not ruling the very centre of the Southern Alps.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I actually think this deserves some volume. It’s a couple of lines in a localisation file—VERY easy for them to fix in ten minutes. If you put together a list of more sensible names and chuck it in the suggestions forum we might be able to get some traction.

Locations deserve another look as well—that Waitaha tag just makes no sense, if there has to be a tag in Te Wai Pounamu it should be at the top of the South Island, not ruling the very centre of the Southern Alps.
You all raise a good point. There's "simplification" and then there's incoherence.

I decided to go with the confederations (waka) instead of tribes when designed this for abstraction. I am neither happy with Te Tai Tokerau, but Nga Puhi is not valid in my mind because it is a tribe inside the confederation, not the name of it. If someone can give me a better name than Te Tai Tokerau I will happily change it.

Waitaha is perfectly fine as it was the first tribe (iwi) in the southern island. Ngaitahu came much later.

Mataatua is also the name of a canoe or waka and represent a group of tribes. Ngati Awa is only an iwi inside that waka.

I am not an expert in Maori culture and I have tried my best in being respectful to them (or you as I have read you are Maori). I do not think many of these "corrections" are actually "correct" as I tried to prove. That being said, I am open to suggestions to improve these names.

Just do not be too hard on me ;)

Last edited:
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I decided to go with the confederations (waka) instead of tribes when designed this for abstraction. I am neither happy with Te Tai Tokerau, but Nga Puhi is not valid in my mind because it is a tribe inside the confederation, not the name of it. If someone can give me a better name than Te Tai Tokerau I will happily change it.

Waitaha is perfectly fine as it was the first tribe (iwi) in the southern island. Ngaitahu came much later.

Mataatua is also the name of a canoe or waka and represent a group of tribes. Ngati Awa is only an iwi inside that waka.

I am not an expert in Maori culture and I have tried my best in being respectful to them (or you as I have read you are Maori). I do not think many of these "corrections" are actually "correct" as I tried to prove. That being said, I am open to suggestions to improve these names.

I appreciate you were not trying to be inaccurate and it's hard when you're not from New Zealand. Waka means 'canoe' and in this context represents the myth of the seven great canoes that early Polynesians arrived on, and that various iwi cite their lineage from. They were never a 'confederation', nor were they ever a political unit in any sense at all. The canoes themselves may not have ever existed in reality.

I'm not an expert in where iwi were located in 1444 (though I am aware Ngāi Tahu moved south much later) but I would suggest the best way to represent it would be to pick some larger and better known iwi and represent them in the game. Not every European principality is represented in the HRE, and not every Māori iwi needs to be represented, but those you do should reflect political entities that actually existed in some point in history. Not "Te Tai Tokerau" which means "The North" and never existed when you could use Ngā Puhi which is a real and large iwi that played an outsize role in Māori history and which around one in four Māori today claim descent from.

To be honest I just don't think you've got this one right and I'd urge you to fix it before release.

Reactions:

Awesome to see a response, Aldaron!

As NPJ has said, waka do not represent ANY kind of political anything at all. You may be interested to know that the Merovingian Franks claimed to be descended from exiled Trojans, as did the Romans (hence the Aeneid). That is comparable to the idea of waka—a legendary (and now debunked) past with no basis in fact.

Knowing where any given iwi was 300 years before sustained European contact is understandably challenging (or impossible), but what we can know for 100% certain is that no group ever called itself “north”, or identified itself as a coherent political unit based on the waka from which it was descended. This would be like calling Ottomans “Sizabul” because that was the name of the legendary ancestor of the Turks, or calling France “Chlodio” because he was the progenitor of the Franks. Given that using waka names is kind of silly and knowing contemporary iwi names is impossible, I think drawing on important iwi such as Ngapuhi, Ngati Awa, Waikato, and Ngati Toa (of Te Rauparaha, the “Napoleon of the south”) makes more sense.

With respect to the Waitaha tag, I think that’s a good reason to call them Waitaha. However I respectfully suggest they should be moved to the northernmost province of the South Island (I cannot open the game at the moment to see its name). The Wairau Bar is one of the most important archaic (1300-1500CE) archaeological sites in Māori history, and is situated in that province. It is the only Māori archaeological site which contains bones of people born outside NZ. The area of that province, specifically Golden Bay, is also the location of the first recorded contact between Māori and Europeans. It would be weird to sail into Golden Bay and find no one there, then pop down one province and there are Māori everywhere! Thirdly, the province currently occupied by Waitaha includes the Southern Alps, which the Māori were wholly disinterested in, while the northern province contains the densely settled Marlborough Sounds.

So to sum up this long post:
- Waka were not ever confederations or indeed anything at all in any part of Māori history except mythology.
- It’s true we don’t know which iwi were where but it is better to have real iwi in the wrong place than mythological made up stuff in the wrong place
- Please move the Waitaha tag northward, that northern province is important to NZ history and where they are now makes no sense.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If someone can give me a better name than Te Tai Tokerau I will happily change it.
Sorry to double post.

I think it is important to underline that waka are not a confederation, in fact “iwi” is closer to a confederation and if you want to talk about the modern conception of “tribe” you are thinking about “hapu” within iwi.

Here is an article about Rahiri, the legendary ancestor and founder of Ngapuhi. You can see he is descended from Kupe the navigator, and was born at Whiria in Northland (the province you have given to Te Tai Tokerau). You are right we cannot know where Ngapuhi was situated in 1444, but we can see that even Māori mythology places Ngapuhi in Northland in ancient times. I really strongly think that Ngapuhi is a significantly better name than Tai Tokerau. Not least because Ngapuhi were SO important in NZ’s colonial history; conquering NZ without fighting the Ngapuhi would be very strange.

I will have a read around and see if I can find some more sources. There are definitely better names than the waka for these tags.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice, I will try to rename the TAGs for more fitting ones. Will also move the Waitaha north, but according to a Maori Atlas I have it called that area like the center of the Waitahas. That´s why I selected that province.

I appreciate the help and specially that you guys took it calmly understanding that I might do things not perfectly due to lack of info but not with disrespect.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Will also move the Waitaha north, but according to a Maori Atlas I have it called that area like the center of the Waitahas. That´s why I selected that province.
That is often how the South Island is treated in maps of Maoridom. Because it is a (relatively) hostile environment the South Island has always had a very low density of Māori population, and so it has not had many iwi. As a result the whole island often only has one or two iwi. If you look at a modern iwi map, for example, Ngaitahu/Kaitahu is often shown as the iwi for the whole South Island, so it looks as though the centre of the South Island (where you placed Waitaha) is the centre of Ngaitahu. That is not the case, though. Māori were strictly clustered northward, low altitude, and toward the coast. Places like modern Marlborough, Nelson and (to some extent) Canterbury were where they lived.

A better map of the South Island could help solve this. It should be sliced vertically instead of horizontally, because that is the way the landscape goes: West coast is cold, rugged rainforest; then the Southern Alps in the centre; then the plains of Otago and Canterbury. Māori lived on the plains and coast but never ever in the Alps. I understand that redrawing the provinces is probably out of scope for this patch, though, so better to place them north of the mountains and in that important location than in a weird mountainous province.

It is late in NZ but if it would be helpful I am very happy to do some research and offer name suggestions for the Māori tags tomorrow.

NOTE: Part of the problem here is that EUIV straddles two phases of Māori civilisation, the “archaic” period until 1500 and the “classical” period until 1800. In the archaic period many Māori lived in the South Island as far south as Otago because they hunted moa. This may also be why your atlas shows Canterbury/Otago as the centre of Waitaha. However, A) Māori were nomadic hunter-gatherers in the archaic period, B) they were not in the political form that Māori were when they met Europeans (i.e the political civilisation we should represent for EUIV) and C) EUIV begins right at the end of the archaic period when the last moa were being hunted and agricultural settlements were becoming the norm. The archaic Māori really were nomadic Stone Age hunter-gatherers, settlements (and so EUIV provinces) were a classical Māori feature. I think EUIV should make sure to represent “classical” Māori even if 1444 is a little before the classical culture became dominant around 1500.

Thanks for being so open to feedback and altering your work, it is very cool to see that you guys are happy to take our thoughts on board and I will be proud to see Māori represented in EUIV. I especially hope to see the glorious Tuhoe and my own iwi Ngati Toa :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
1618231073775.png

I have moved Waitaha north and renamed the two conflictive TAGs as kindly requested. Further changes would not be possible because of the schedule, but glaring issues should have been resolved.

• 14Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This is amazing - never seen such great openness before. I'm sure there are bits and pieces more that could be done to fine-tune but you've done a huge amount to make New Zealand more playable. Thank you!

Reactions: