• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nemerra

Recruit
98 Badges
May 29, 2012
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
EU4 just crashed and upon going back in, my 25-30 Hour Castille Ironman game is gone (completely gone, not reverted to a few years back). Checked the savegame location and cloud storage and ... nothing. Was close to getting Master of India and must say I'm very dissapointed. Didn't want to get the 1.6.1.1 beta because I didn't like some of the other changes. Its very annoying that achievements are locked behind this shoddy save system. Alot of time down the drain. I will stop playing Ironman from now on and stick with normal save games that I can back up just in case. Just posting this as a friendly warning to everyone having a long running Ironman game.

Additional information: the game was started and played only during 1.6.1

C'est la vie...

Sorry, did you want help or are you just venting?

Both, sorry. Any help is appreciated but I doubt anything can be done to get my save back. The process was as follows:

1) Played my game yesterday.
2) Started the game on steam today. Loaded up the save.
3) About a minute later the game froze for a second and the typical windows pop-up for an unresponsive program came up which allowed me to close it.
4) Started the game back up and the Ironman save was missing.
5) Restarted Steam/EU4 , verified cache just in case. Still missing. The cloud storage under properties also displays 0 bytes stored.

Attached the dxdiag.txt in case it helps.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    32,5 KB · Views: 2
Additional Notes: The game always runs smooth and extremely stable for me. This crash was the 2nd or so in 125+ Hours played. My issue is the weird savegame deletion which hasn't happened before.

Last edited:
You say "Checked the savegame location and cloud storage " - did that include the local cache of the cloud save files? If not check that, see the link to it in the sticky "file locations" thread above. You might also clean out any un-needed saves in the Cloud, a bad or old save can cause odd issues (although not complete disappearance, I agree).

There is a known bug in 1.6/1.6.1 where Ironman stops autosaving in some circumstances. It is at least partially fixed in 1.6.1.1 . But it's also true to say that Ironman is intrinsically fragile, due to being dependent on a single save file - like any other computer file that can get corrupted or killed by any number of possible issues.

I went through the steps in the sticky immediately after the issue occurred, including checking the local cache of the cloud save file (in ...\Steam\userdata\...\236850\remote\save games), but it was empty. This was also the only savegame I had. I only play one Ironman game at a time and don't keep saves of completed games around.

I was aware of the 1.6.1 issue but that only seemed to have caused some unwanted rollbacks, not outright deletion of the savegame. You're right though, it could be caused by a myriad of factors so I knew I had almost no chance of getting it back. I'l stay away from Ironman in the future, to be safe.

Thanks for your support Andrew and please forgive my initial outburst.

Last edited:
I went through the steps in the sticky immediately after the issue occurred, including checking the local cache of the cloud save file (in ...\Steam\userdata\...\236850\remote\save games), but it was empty. This was also the only savegame I had. I only play one Ironman game at a time and don't keep saves of completed games around.

I was aware of the 1.6.1 issue but that only seemed to have caused some unwanted rollbacks, not outright deletion of the savegame. You're right though, it could be caused by a myriad of factors so I knew I had almost no chance of getting it back. I'l stay away from Ironman in the future, to be safe.

Thanks for your support Andrew and please forgive my initial outburst.

It's incredibly how our experiences remind each other. For the last 3 days I was also playing a Castille game with 1.6.1.1, I was also playing it around 20-30 hours, and I just lost my save game almost in the same manner. In my case my laptop shut down and when I restarted I was unable to locate the save in the game.

However I checked the folder where the cloud saves are stored and I was able to locate the file there. The problem is that the file size shows as 0kb so probably everything is gone.

It really hurts, I was enjoying the game so much.