• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

J. Passepartout

Shah Space Invader
7 Badges
Apr 28, 2002
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
I found my old EU2 cd when going through things to throw away, and decided to try and install it on my current laptop which has Windows 8. I stuck it in the cd slot and a window came up with the options of 'play', 'install', 'register', 'exit', and maybe some other option. Obviously since I hadn't installed it, I clicked install, but then the window sort of froze, and nothing happened until I decided to take the cd out and put it back in. Just as I opened the cd tray, an option came up asking if I wanted to let the program make changes to my computer, but since I had just opened the cd tray, nothing could happen if I clicked the yes option. This 'make changes' option only came up when I would open the cd tray, since I tried a few times. Any guidance, oh wise ones?

I found my old EU2 cd when going through things to throw away, and decided to try and install it on my current laptop which has Windows 8. I stuck it in the cd slot and a window came up with the options of 'play', 'install', 'register', 'exit', and maybe some other option. Obviously since I hadn't installed it, I clicked install, but then the window sort of froze, and nothing happened until I decided to take the cd out and put it back in. Just as I opened the cd tray, an option came up asking if I wanted to let the program make changes to my computer, but since I had just opened the cd tray, nothing could happen if I clicked the yes option. This 'make changes' option only came up when I would open the cd tray, since I tried a few times. Any guidance, oh wise ones?

Don´t install in C:\program files... but in another directory in Windows 7 or newer.
Use the compatibility modus to simulate windows xp.

I finally decided to rebuy the game, through gamersgate, since I couldn't ever get beyond what I described earlier about the cd issue. I tried it twice, both in and outside of program files and clicked the icon to open the game; it can't quite play the opening video correctly (either it shows 'the producers dedicate this to our fans' and the video of the cathedral messes up, or you hit escape and it shows the cathedral video correctly) and then when you try to escape the messed up video or when the video ends, a 'program is not responding' message comes up, with the 'close program' and 'try again when the program responds' options. Suggestions?

EDIT: Actually, for some reason I forgot to try compatibility mode when I asked this question, and then after a few hours of doing non-game related things, it occurred to me to try that and it worked.

Last edited: