• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you like power gaming, map painting, or instant gratification, you'll probably enjoy EU4. If you prefer simulation, highly integrated mechanical systems, or strong constraints on your power, you might not. One isn't better than the other, although I definitely prefer the latter. EU4 has lost a lot of its appeal for me over the past few years because of new mechanics that I feel have been increasingly ahistorical and imbalanced.
You really hit the nail on the head here, and really put into succinct words what I've struggled to reason out longform in the past. I'm also one of those historical sim-loving players. to whom modern EU4 feels completely alien. I still play EU3 and Vicky 2, and I'm looking forward to Victoria 3. I just wish that EU4, what was once my favourite game of all time, didn't develop in such a way so as to leave players like you and me behind.

I can only hope that EU5 returns a bit closer to the series' roots, but I'm not incredibly optimistic.

• 2Like
Reactions:
EU4's problem is that is has multiple, sometimes contradictory identities.

It's sold as a deep, detailed historical simulation game. Compared to most other historical strategy titles, it definitely is.

It's also an abstracted map painter that started as a highly abstracted board game. The abstractions inherent to this part of EU4's identity are often in direct tension with the parts of the game that aim for deeper simulation and greater historical accuracy.

EU4 is a cash cow as well, especially in recent years. As the game has aged and its developers have begun to run out of obvious candidates for new features, they've added features that have often been simplistic, ahistorical, or the basis for gameplay loops that feel artificial or self-contained. Mission trees and monuments, for instance, are each the basis for both a lot of new content and for player goals that are endogenous to the game, but not to its simulations.

The tension between these disparate features and design choices is exacerbated by EU4's player base, which is - at least to my eye, and compared to other Paradox games' player bases - unusually bifurcated between "map painters" and people who enjoy the game as a simulator of history. To the map painters, new features often represent new ways to power game; to the simulation enthusiasts (if it's not already obvious, I'm a member of this camp), new features tend to either be imbalanced power creep, or interesting sources of historical flavor and depth.

If you like power gaming, map painting, or instant gratification, you'll probably enjoy EU4. If you prefer simulation, highly integrated mechanical systems, or strong constraints on your power, you might not. One isn't better than the other, although I definitely prefer the latter. EU4 has lost a lot of its appeal for me over the past few years because of new mechanics that I feel have been increasingly ahistorical and imbalanced.
Did you play back in the Alpha or something cause I dont remember EU4 ever constraining your power in any worthwhile way. Even TerrCorr didnt constrain your power so much as it made every man a Colombus gunning for India.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sorry, but what the hell is you

Sorry, but what the hell is your thread about?

You just stated you hate EU4 and cant see its identity after playing 10 hours. You write that in a forum with people who played hundreds or thousands of hours, so people who know the game better than you and who obviously dont hate the game.

What do you want? To convince people who knows better than you that the game is bad? Or do you want people convince you that the game is good and doesnt lack identity?

For the former you will lose your time, people are smart enough to know if they like the game or dislike it after so many hours played.

For the later, if you dont like, just dont play it. Dont behave like your game preferences are something important to other people to know, because they are not.
Why do you have to be so aggressive, when all he is doing is mildly stating an opinion ?

Reactions:
You really hit the nail on the head here, and really put into succinct words what I've struggled to reason out longform in the past. I'm also one of those historical sim-loving players. to whom modern EU4 feels completely alien. I still play EU3 and Vicky 2, and I'm looking forward to Victoria 3. I just wish that EU4, what was once my favourite game of all time, didn't develop in such a way so as to leave players like you and me behind.

I can only hope that EU5 returns a bit closer to the series' roots, but I'm not incredibly optimistic.
Completely agree.
A lot of it for me is 'Historical viability'. That is to say, not railroading exact dates, or simulating history, but having things happen in a historically sensible timeframe.
One clear example is Australia being colonised in 1560.
It ruins it somewhat for me.
It was the same with the awful CIV 6, where Industrialisation used to occur in 1200 in every single game. Never again.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: