• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OOC: God f'ing dammit, my computer mysteriously reset itself while I was finishing up...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 11, 1936
Faro, Occupied Portugal
VII Cuerpo HQ

"They what? They want to surrender?" Franco asked incredulously, the telephone held up to his ear.

"That is correct, Generalissimo. They are offering their territory here on the Iberian, and also their African colonies. It looks like Salazar badly wants to end this war." the Spanish Foreign Minister, Souza, replied, smiling on the other end. When the Caudillo Francisco had begun this war, he'd expected nowhere near this much in concessions. He figured this was a good deal, by his standards. But his leader had a much grander vision in store.

"Ahh, but, Souza, you know as well as I do that Portugal's colonies in Africa are as worthless as tits on a bull! They offer nothing except prestige, and I'd go as far as to say that he WANTS us to take them off his hands. No, Souza, I want you to reject this. Prepare one of our own, but we will not be sending it until we have the Portuguese at a disadvantage. Then, we will be dictating the terms to them! Am I understood?" Franco said, definately against the nearly insulting offer that Portugal had tendered to them. Granted, the land on the Iberian would quite neatly fit into Spain, but the rest of it was pure rubbish.

"Crystal clear, sir. I will await your order for the new treaty to be sent." Souza said. Then they both hung up their respective phones. Franco turned to the aide waiting at the flap of his tent.

"Send word to Generals Quipo Llano and Atienza. March on Lisbon."

The proposed (and rejected) treaty
ScreenSave24.jpg

Lisbon, Portugal
0800 Hours

The two divisions of Portuguese troops on the outskirts of Lisbon were fresh, having not shouldered the brunt of the Spanish assault. But they were afraid. They knew rumors of the Spanish having weapons they couldn't even dream of - Submachine guns issued en masse, machine guns issued in numbers to every platoon, enough new mortars to blacken the sky with shells. Whatever glorious victories there were to be had early on, against the Spaniard tanks, were felt to be flukes. The men defending Lisbon clutched rifles that their fathers had used in the Great War, and most of the artillery behind them had fired their last shells at Lys. And there were so many Spaniards coming for them!

Most of the rumors were true. The two leading divisions of the five marching in from Guarda were quite modern. The submachine gun that was so rightly feared was the 9mm Labora, a high-quality weapon that seemed indestructible to the strains of extended use. The new mortars were light enough to be man-portable, and quite quickly, as well, a far cry from the heavy trench mortars of the Great War. The remaining divisions were not as well equipped, being roughly on par with the Portuguese.

The only advantage ceded to the Portuguese troops was in artillery, with the lightning advance of the Spanish army not allowing time for very much in the way of it to be brought up. This was felt to be only a small matter, numbers and a rapid advance would quickly negate that advantage, it was felt.

As the sun rose, the first shells belched forth from the Portuguese artillery...

The opening hours of the battle for Lisbon
ScreenSave25.jpg

1600 Hours
Portuguese Army Command Post

General Mota shook his head in despair. Despite his best-laid plans, including extensive trenchworks, half of his men had already panicked and were fleeing into the city, decimated and terrified of the unstoppable Spanish juggernaut. The rest were barely hanging on, severely overwhelmed and almost constantly falling back.

His artillery had done little to stop the advance. The Spaniards didn't advance as though this were the Great War, in huge waves of bodies which machine guns and artillery could scythe through. If anything, it was more like the elite German Sturmtruppen, advancing in smaller groups to infiltrate forward before assaulting, forcing the defending firepower to be spread out at many smaller targets. So many of his problems were caused by the equipment of those two spearheading divisions! Already his men had learned to fear the submachine guns of the Spanish troops. All the training of a marksman that made a bolt-action rifle a deadly weapon was for naught, if a barely-trained man with a submachine gun could simply spray a storm of bullets through the rifleman's trench without aiming. And the damning thing was that the Spaniards were quite accurate with those guns.

They were leapfrogging forward, advance, secure the area, and lay in the mortars for a barrage to soften up the positions in front of them, and then advance again. Too often, his men couldn't even get their machinguns into the nests before they were being shelled, and had to take cover, and didn't even have a chance to heat the barrel with firing before having to pull back again. That was bad enough, but outnumbered as they were, and with the damned cavalry from the North coming in, too...!

Mota laughed in his black humor as he heard the already-familiar "Traaa-p-p-p-p-p-p" of a Spanish Labora, this time even closer. His men didn't have much further to fall back. Damn that Franco Francisco! There was no reason for this war at all... it was that damn fascism, he was sure of it. The same fascism of Germany and Italy.

He gasped as he had a sudden vision of the future. A vision of great armies marching, a vision of conquered countries, and a devastated world. A world overrun by the fascists---

Whatever musings General Mota had, it was all for naught, as a Spanish 50mm mortar shell came whistling down into his tent, blowing him and the tent into shreds.

Shortly after, the last vestiges of resistance from the Portuguese army gave up.

The last hours of the battle for Lisbon
ScreenSave26.jpg

November 14, 1936
Lisbon, Occupied Portugal

"... and the forfeiture of all the territory of Portugal on the Iberian peninsula for a period of not less than twenty years, excluding the established provincal boundaries of the city of Lisbon, which will be returned to Portuguese control; the ceding of the Cap Verde and Azore islands, and the Asian colony of Macao. On the behalf of Spain, we will withdraw all troops from the abovementioned Portuguese-controlled territory, and leave Portugal in peace hereafter. Sign along the line here at the bottom, Prime Minister Salazar." Souza said, a smug smile on the Spanish Foreign Minister's face. Franco had been right, a far more favorable set of terms was possible with Lisbon in the hands of the Spanish Army.

Photographers snapped pictures, flashbulbs lighting up the room as the defeated Prime Minister of Portugal slowly picked up the pen, and signed away the war, and any chance of his country ever being considered a great power again. He slowly looked up to Franco, standing slightly behind his Foreign Minister.

"I thought I trusted you." Salazar said, speaking in a sad, soft tone, with pleading, tired eyes.

"It was nothing personal, Antonio." Franco replied, taking the copy of the treaty and walking out of the building.

The Spanish Treaty
ScreenSave27.jpg

Excelent job... and now? Back to the Empire ( Mexico ) ?

A dirty trick for the next time: When you win the SCW, gain all troops of the other side, so try to envelop his forces on a province without VP, then annex, and say hello to your new soldiers....

traskott said:
Excelent job... and now? Back to the Empire ( Mexico ) ?

A dirty trick for the next time: When you win the SCW, gain all troops of the other side, so try to envelop his forces on a province without VP, then annex, and say hello to your new soldiers....

Badajoz has no VPs. I could have done that, but I figured it would have been too "gamey". Understand? :)

Plus I'm not even sure if that'd work at all.

[edit] Just tried that, using a July 18th save. It works. I'd end up with like 10 extra division - 2 Militia, 1 Tank, and the rest 1918 Infantry. That's damn clever. If I do a "gamey" AAR for Nationalist Spain next, I'm doin' that.

Last edited:
Spaniards HOI2 games know SCG very well, young padawan ;) .

@specialforces: Easy: CV33 has its top side OPEN :) . And for the other types of tanks, just watch the film "saving private Ryan", the final combat when they get rid of a couple of tanks with it.

Throwing it AT the tank works, if you can land it on the back deck, where the engine exhaust grating is. You land it on that and the tank WILL brew up.

November 16, 1936

Not long after the end of the Iberian War, various minor reforms in Spanish policy were undertaken - First and foremost being the issue of supplying military forces. The Minister of War Production, Gil y Yuste, was fired for incompetence, despite his claims of "loving the Spanish infantryman", due to the lack of modern supplies leaving only two of the main offensive divisions armed in a modern fashion. Instead, a little-known genius in his field, Juan Ordinas, was appointed to the position on his merits, rather than political connections, with a mild warning that if said merits did not show in his work, he, too, would be dismissed from the position.

The old meddler who didn't supply on his boasts of re-equipping the infantry
ScreenSave28.jpg

The brighter, more inspired replacement. Something tells me I like him more :rofl:
ScreenSave29.jpg

1936 ended on a low note, with all the action on the Iberian Peninsula quite well and over, the world felt it could breathe freely again. But Franco wasn't going to sit on his laurels...

Last edited:
Fascist pig! Viva la Republic!!!

ringwraith18 said:
Fascist pig! Viva la Republic!!!

*Shoots you, and thereby reduces his Dissent level by 1%* :rofl:

aussieboy said:
Viva la Rey!!! Muerte la Franco y Partido Nacionalista

Idiot, the Carlists (People who want Monarchy, if you didn't notice when I said it the first time earlier) *ARE* Nationalists.

*shoots aussieboy, and reduces his Dissent by 1%* :rofl:

elbasto said:
nice way to reduce dissent...

*breeds, increases the manpower 100*

Ugh! *shields his eyes*

KlavoHunter said:
Idiot, the Carlists (People who want Monarchy, if you didn't notice when I said it the first time earlier) *ARE* Nationalists.

*shoots aussieboy, and reduces his Dissent by 1%* :rofl:

How about Alfonso XIII

aussieboy said:
How about Alfonso XIII

I suppose he or someone else is in with a more-or-less ceremonial position. I don't particularly care to look it up. Maybe that'll be a plot point later!

Alfonso was actually a constiutional monarch shortly before the abdication and the Second Republic, so I'll doubt that he would give the Nationalists any more than nominal support.