• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8206)

Second Lieutenant
Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Just started the game in 1444 and I am not sure whether it is worth fighting a losing battle (I think it is) against the French. I am wondering if it might not be a better idea for the long term to sue for peace give up 2-3 provinces keep 2 and the bulk of my army In order to stabilize my country, economy and then attack France in the future? What are your suggestions?

Just started the game in 1444 and I am not sure whether it is worth fighting a losing battle (I think it is) against the French. I am wondering if it might not be a better idea for the long term to sue for peace give up 2-3 provinces keep 2 and the bulk of my army In order to stabilize my country, economy and then attack France in the future? What are your suggestions?

Go for the win. Forcing France into a PU means your continental problems are over. They become you pet attack dog, so dealing with the Spanish is only ever something you need to do at sea and the colonies.

It isn't that hard to win, but if you do win, it makes the rest of the game too easy.

It's a tough and exhausting battle, but if you win you get France in a PU. Otherwise, just give up a couple of provinces and focus on the British Isles and colonialism; later you could get revenge on the French.

atleast get a white victory out it before your ruler dies if you want to avoid the war of the roses

I just started a English playthrough and managed to get a victory against France by putting myself into deep debt.
Just a little bit later Scotland and Burgundy declared on me, which is predictable. If you go for fighting the frenchies you need to expect that second war as well.

After that, with a PU over France and a well nurtured alliance with Portugal it's pretty easy to fend off Spanish and Burgundian attacks, even though I didn't pay attention and managed to lose all my big ships blockading ports in the Med. :blush: Ironman means I'm still playing a England without a decent fleet.