• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hertog Jan

First Lieutenant
62 Badges
Jul 6, 2006
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
I have noticed that is has become impossible to appoint prince-bishops by giving them a county. I understand that Paradox wants to limit the interaction with bishops because it was tedious in CKII. Yet I always found appointing prince-bishops to be funny thing to do, especially when I converted to Christianity as a pagan. In a way I wanted to show my commitment to the new faith by giving the church a principality or two.

Could it be made possible to grant counties to other clerics than your archbishop? Perhaps to unlanded people who have taken vows. Or perhaps this could be done in two steps. Enable the grant of a church holding to an unlanded person with vows by creating a 'grant' button on the church holding (much like how you can grant a county by clicking the button on the castle holding). Then grant the county to the person you have granted the church holding to, much like how granting the county to a mayor turns it into a republic.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I expect this will come along in a future update; after all, you can't really have a game starting in 1066 where the Investiture Controversy doesn't have anything to work with.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I have noticed that is has become impossible to appoint prince-bishops by giving them a county. I understand that Paradox wants to limit the interaction with bishops because it was tedious in CKII. Yet I always found appointing prince-bishops to be funny thing to do, especially when I converted to Christianity as a pagan. In a way I wanted to show my commitment to the new faith by giving the church a principality or two.

Could it be made possible to grant counties to other clerics than your archbishop? Perhaps to unlanded people who have taken vows. Or perhaps this could be done in two steps. Enable the grant of a church holding to an unlanded person with vows by creating a 'grant' button on the church holding (much like how you can grant a county by clicking the button on the castle holding). Then grant the county to the person you have granted the church holding to, much like how granting the county to a mayor turns it into a republic.

I started my own thread on this. It is not impossible but very difficult. In order to be able to create a new prince-bishop you need to already have a prince bishop as a vassal who has a bishop vassal under him. If you give a prince bishop more counties than his demesne limit he will automatically generate new prince-bishops to fill his extra bishophric holdings (prince bishops don't have their equivalent of a realm priest, they operate like CK2 did).

When you grant a county to a prince-bishop vassal with only a bishophric holding rather than a county who is a vassal of a prince-bishop vassal (confusing I know) he will get the county and become a prince-bishop.

In general, this seems more like a workaround than a feature. They have the structure in place to have prince-bishops rather than this realm priest mechanic. They just effectively want to leave prince-bishops out of the game or will add them back in at a later date. They really should go back to the old system, because as it stands it's like prince-bishops aren't even in the game except as stand ins at the start.

• 2Like
Reactions: