• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Duque y Conte y Conte Tomas IV B.L. Etxeto of House Etxeto

The Duque arrives at the banquet flanked by members of his exceedingly large clan. He is heard complimenting the recent effort to give the Cortz veto powers over wars.

Crown Prince Ferran yawned as he watched the servants put the finishing touches on the ballroom. His wife Adelaide was scurrying around furiously, directing the servants every chance she could. Whenever they did something that displeased her, she cursed under her breath in Austrian. Ferran could only watch in mild amusement at the display. It was fortunate his wife was such a busybody, seeing as he had no interest in preparing this event. He just wanted to enjoy the event itself, revelling in the celebration and chatting with his guests. He had not spent much time at court, instead spending his days travelling and getting to know the world. It was quite the experience visiting the various courts of Europe. It was even better when he had a retinue of servants doing his bidding along the way too. It would not do for the crown prince of Hispania to not travel in style.

As Adelaide rushed off to the kitchens to ensure the servants had the evening hors-d'oeuvre prepared, the first guest arrived. Ferran greeted Petros Mandromenos as he entered, but was called away by his wife shortly after. Apparently the servants had prepared the wrong chicken dish and she was fuming over it. He assured her it was all right and that the guests would not care how the chicken was prepared. With that, he returned to entertain his guest, or rather let them enjoy his company. He did notice his father, the emperor, skulking about, but the man was not so comfortable with such social events. Oh well, it was not his event to host. It was time that the entire court came to know their prince.

Petros smiled as he spoke to the Crown Prince, only to have the man be called away. He helped himself to the appetizers and approached the Montsegur and Exteto Groups.

Greetings, I hope the travels to Valencia went well. The Italian Wars are now over and we are in control of the Western Mediterranean. Now that we have secured the destination, and the New World is ours, I am attempting to secure the route to India and beyond. If we control the sea route around Africa, we will be in a good situation to seize the riches of Hindustan and Cathay as our own. But let us not dwell on such issues all night, we have a celebration in progress! My eldest son and daughter are to be wed soon, to good families. My lands are prospering. And the Empire has never been more powerful! I have much to be thankful for, what about you?

You, servant! Bring us more wine and food!

Petros smiled as he spoke to the Crown Prince, only to have the man be called away. He helped himself to the appetizers and approached the Montsegur and Exteto Groups.

Greetings, I hope the travels to Valencia went well. The Italian Wars are now over and we are in control of the Western Mediterranean. Now that we have secured the destination, and the New World is ours, I am attempting to secure the route to India and beyond. If we control the sea route around Africa, we will be in a good situation to seize the riches of Hindustan and Cathay as our own. But let us not dwell on such issues all night, we have a celebration in progress! My eldest son and daughter are to be wed soon, to good families. My lands are prospering. And the Empire has never been more powerful! I have much to be thankful for, what about you?

You, servant! Bring us more wine and food!

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Duque y Conte y Conte Tomas IV B.L. Etxeto of House Etxeto

The Duque smiled at the man. Not that he had any idea who he was of course. His speech on wealth and the new world indicated new wealth, most likely recently raised (if at all) to nobility. Beneath contempt. However that didn't mean that an aristocrat couldn't be polite.

"I am grateful for the wealth of my kin. They are worth far more than the mountainous home I come from. More so even than the lands of the Indus.

I also congratulate you on your marriages. I am sure that their place in court will be secured by such marriages, may the Lord even bless them with happiness."

As Eduard approached the castle he was stopped by an extremely bored guard.
"Another peasant?" *sigh* "No peasants allowed."
"But I'm the imperial colonist and member of the court of Hispania!"
"And I'm the Duke of Essex, now scram or I'll have to resort to violence."
"Can I just wait until someone can prove my identity?"
"Sure, I doubt it, dirty peasant."
((Deja Vu?))

Reactions:
"So then I said to the Duchess of Toulouse, 'Well at least you never forget your kings' names. They're always named Louis.'"

The group of minor lords and ladies surrounding Crown Prince Ferran broke out into exaggerated laughter at his joke. He grinned at the attention and took a sip of wine. The ball wasn't quite as extravagant as the ones he'd attended in France, but it served its purpose. His wife had done an excellent job preparing everything. Even now he saw Adelaide moving amongst the guests, asking them if they were enjoying everything, and then running about directing the servants as though she was leading a brigade into battle. He chuckled at that sight and turned back to his adoring audience.

Just as he was about to say another joke, a guard approached him and drew his attention. "Your Highness, there's some peasant at the door demanding entry. He says he's the imperial colonist or a member of this court."

The lords and ladies eyed one another, a few of them giggling or covering their mouths as though the very idea of a peasant infiltrating their ranks offended them. Ferran wasn't one to disagree. "Well let him sit there then. No harm done. Perhaps he just wants to get close enough to hear the music." That brought another round of tittering from the group and Ferran couldn't help but grin.

"If it is indeed the Crown colonist at our doors, it would not do to leave him outside." Crown Prince Ferran turned around to face the speaker, his father Francesc. The emperor had a somewhat dour expression, for he was not one for parties. Francesc turned to the guard and said, "Ask the man his name and if he says 'Eduard Villanova', let him in." The guard saluted and hurried off to carry out the order.

"Well I certainly hope he isn't some random peasant who happens to know the colonist's name or were going to have some unpleasant company tonight," Ferran said before taking another sip of wine. The group of nobles broke out in giggles again, but they stopped when Emperor Francesc sent a scowl their way.

"Son, may I speak with you," Francesc said as he gently grabbed Ferran's arm. The Crown Prince excused himself from the circle of nobles and stepped aside with his father.

"Is this about the Crown colonist?" Ferran said. "I don't see the problem. So what if the man sits out in the cold? He's probably used to it anyway."

The Crown Prince was suddenly silenced by a quick smack to the back of the head. "You would do well to show some respect," Emperor Francesc said. "There are those not of noble blood who serve the Crown faithfully, and it will be your job as emperor one day to make sure they remain faithful."

"As if you haven't been catering to the nobles lately," Ferran said with a snort.

"Can you even name the nobles in attendance," Francesc said, his face lightening for the first time that evening.

Crown Prince Ferran glanced around the room and nodded his head to a gathering of nobles who looked similar, most likely all relatives, all led by one distinguished gentleman. "I believe that is the Duke Exteto of Navarra and his family."

"Etxeto," Francesc corrected his son. "Make sure you do not mispronounce his name to his face. The duke rules over one of the most stable regions in Hispania. It'd be best to stay on his good side." The emperor pointed towards the man speaking to the duke and said, "And what of him? Do you know his name?"

Ferran scoffed and said, "Of course. He's that Greek interloper, Petros something-or-other. I never understood why he is here. Shouldn't he be attending to the Basileus in Constantinople?"

Francesc tried not to roll his eyes at his son's ignorance. "We are tied quite closely to the Greeks. It is not unusual for some of their noble sons to find their way to Valencia, nor the other way around for that matter. Your Aunt Clara was even their empress at one point, after all."

"You mean that treacherous witch that nearly stole your throne and saw Mother executed?" Ferran said with a deep glower.

"The only one responsible for your mother's death was herself," Francesc said, quick to reply. As much as his wife's loss pained him, he still knew that she had brought it all upon herself. He only regretted he had not noticed sooner and put a stop to her madness before it had spiralled out of control.

The two royals remained silent for a few moments, their mood brought down by the topic of conversation. Eventually some guests approached their host and drew the crown prince into conversation. Emperor Francesc excused himself, moving near the edge of the ballroom floor to watch those couples dancing. Watching the unbridled happiness of youth helped him forget the painful memories of his wife, at least for a time.

Louis de Montségur was thanking Etxeto for his support. 'Too long the Cortz has just stood by idly as the peasants rose in the empire. This should have been done much earlier...'
Then Petros Mandromenos arrived.
'Aren't we already controlling the sea route around Africa? I do not see too much interest in taking more of that hostile land than needed. But there isn't that much I know about Africa, perhaps there is something of value that is worth to control directly.
Congratulations to your children's marriages. As you see, my family's fortunes are still improving...' He gestured towards Maximilien. The Knight of the Light was surrounded by a number of young nobles, boasting about his countless exploits. How he won the tournament, took over Bar-le-Duc and Genoa through hazardous missions, how the fire of Hispanian cannons brought down the Savoyards... 'in every way. His wife has recently given birth to twins, Félicien Pierre and Fortune Aurélie. So there is also cause for celebration in my house. Clément has left for Eora, and Sicily prospers. The Catalans will not trouble the empire any longer. All is truly well. Only the army could need some more men.'

He then excused himself, seeking out the company of his fellow generals, away from his son so not to hear his not even far exaggerated stories. He wondered how the preachers had been doing that he sent to Valencia during the war. Had the capital only heard the Protestant truths - or embraced them? ((attempting to convert Valencia))

Amedeo arrived at the castle and noticed a poor looking man standing outside the gates. He couldn't tell if it was a beggar or peasant. Was the man waiting for some free food or honestly trying to get into castle?

The interior of the castle was beautiful. Amedeo enjoyed his stay and chatted with some of the guests. He chatted with he Duke of Sicily.

"Duke Montségur! Are you enjoying the ball? Those are some fine, exquisite cloths you are wearing. Very elegant and fashionable." Amedeo admired the wealth of the Duke. "Have you considered renovating the Cathedral of Siracusa? It could use some improvements for which the church does not have the funds."

Afterwards, he went looking if Jean Saint-Pierre was among the guests. Saint-Pierre had never visited him in Sicily and so maybe this ball would be an opportunity to finally meet but Amedeo was not sure if Saint-Pierre was even in town.

Your Majesty, I would wish to present to you my adjustments to our current trade plan. I do not see many flaws in it, but I believe that if we change the focus of merchants in Tunis to Sevilla we will be able to gain just a bit more ducats. That would conclud the changes for now. On other matters I would wish to ask the Chancellor to consider wars with Marocco to conquer their provinces containing important trade centers. This however should be done in future. I think that would be all for now.

((
Grandmaster plan:
- Transfer trade from Sevilla (Use merchant from Tunis)
))

Jean Gérard de Saint-Pierre accepted the invitation and arrived at the gate as soon as it was possible. Noticing the commotion he approached the man arguing with the guard, intrigued by the situation. "What seems to be the problem?" Jean asked the guard, only to look at the man who wasn't allowed into the castle.

As Felipé entered the ballroom, the guards all gave way, for they always recognized the Prime Minister of Hispania.
He supported himself on his cane and his two sons arms as he entered, greeting and talking and shaking hands with the nobles and guests. He walked past the couples dancing and caught the Emperors eye, bowing slightly before making his way to the edge of the room, sitting down with a sigh. His legs was not as they used to be.
"Father, let me fetch you a cup of wine." Andrés said.
Augustín quickly filled in, "And let me fetch you something to eat."
Felipé nodded and the two hurried along, returning shortly after with wine and bread.
"Thank you boys, now, hurry along and entertain yourselves, it is important that you learn peoples names, for it is important to know who is who, and who is capable of doing what."
Andrés and Augustín listened closely, because their father was very old, and knows much, before nodding and going their seperate ways.
Felipé sighed happily. They will be doing fine. He thought, before taking a sip of wine. They have learned much.
He remembered something and took out a piece of paper and scribbled down some notes. He would clean it up and send to the Emperor later.
Felipé took another sip of wine as he relaxed in the chair and watched the guests entertaining themselves.

Louis de Montségur was thanking Etxeto for his support. 'Too long the Cortz has just stood by idly as the peasants rose in the empire. This should have been done much earlier...'
Then Petros Mandromenos arrived.
'Aren't we already controlling the sea route around Africa? I do not see too much interest in taking more of that hostile land than needed. But there isn't that much I know about Africa, perhaps there is something of value that is worth to control directly.
Congratulations to your children's marriages. As you see, my family's fortunes are still improving...' He gestured towards Maximilien. The Knight of the Light was surrounded by a number of young nobles, boasting about his countless exploits. How he won the tournament, took over Bar-le-Duc and Genoa through hazardous missions, how the fire of Hispanian cannons brought down the Savoyards... 'in every way. His wife has recently given birth to twins, Félicien Pierre and Fortune Aurélie. So there is also cause for celebration in my house. Clément has left for Eora, and Sicily prospers. The Catalans will not trouble the empire any longer. All is truly well. Only the army could need some more men.'

He then excused himself, seeking out the company of his fellow generals, away from his son so not to hear his not even far exaggerated stories. He wondered how the preachers had been doing that he sent to Valencia during the war. Had the capital only heard the Protestant truths - or embraced them? ((attempting to convert Valencia))

You are correct. We need not hold African land that we do not need. But, while our trade routes through the land are secure for now, there is much underutilized land in Africa. Land that could fall under the sway of other European Powers and jeopardize our position. We can not allow this to happen. Africa itself may be worthless, but its location is too important to ignore. I have looked over maps of the coast of Africa and have a few suggestions. Secure a river estuary here and a natural harbor there, and then we will have the trade routes to India in a vice-like grip that will never be broken. Once we have the path built, we can turn to our true objective.

Also, thank you for your congratulations. I am sure both our children will bring honor to our Houses.

Petros turned away from the Duke and to the Prime Minister.

Hello old friend, it is good to see that you are still well enough to come. Tell me, how are you doing?

((At the Grand Ball))

Bishop Amedeo sat down on a bench outside in the gardens when he spotted de Saint-Pierre. At last, the two men could meet each other in person. Amedeo walked over to the Jean and greeted him.

Amedeo: “Jean de Saint-Pierre! It is a pleasure to finally meet you. How are you enjoying the ball so far?”

When Jean Gerard head someone call out to him, he turned towards the source of the voice, a slight confusion on his face “Huh? Oh, hello! Pleasure meeting you as well…” The Grandmaster paused for a moment, trying to remember who was this mysterious person gretting him “...I’m terribly sorry, but I just cannot remember who you are. But I have to say that this feast is quite splendid! I do hope you feel the same about it!”

Amedeo felt offended that Jean did not recognize him. Maybe meeting him was a poor decision. “I am Amedeo Gentile, Bishop of Siracusa. I had invited you to visit me in Sicily. Maybe you remember?”

Jean blinked a bit, digging in his memories. Was he ever invited anywhere? The only invitation he remembered was to this ball… “I’m sorry, your Excellency. But, well… My memory isn’t as good as it used to be. I’m deeply sorry. But maybe we can actually get to know each other at this wonderful banquet?”

Amedeo wondered if it was Jean’s advanced age or something else. “That sounds good to me. I hope you won’t forget me the minute we stop this conversation.” Amedeo laughs. “Would you like some food and wine? We would sit down at one of those tables here in the garden.”

The Grandmaster gently stroked his beard, trying to hide the slight offense caused by the Bishop’s joke(?) comment(?) “Why that’s a great idea. And do not worry, my memory isn’t that bad yet.” Jean said, grinding his teeth a tiny bit. “But I will have to watch out how much I drink… My head isn’t the strongest one when it comes to drinks.”

Amedeo: “They have water as well here, I believe. Maybe some juices, too.”

The councillor only let out a small snort “Just because I get drunk easily does not mean I won’t enjoy wine at all. But I think that’s enough of talking over here. Let us head to the garden.”

Amedeo walked over to a table in the gardens together with Jean. “Does this table work for you?”

The head of the TATC only let out a sigh, rolling his eyes “A table is a table, it is mearly a wooden furniture made for our convenience. Why would I pick one table over another?” And with that said he sat down, taking his ((cup?)) of wine and begging to slowly sip the red liquid.

Amedeo: “How goes your trade these days? Your family has built a magnificent empire.”

Jean let out a hearty laugh “It’s going just wonderful! Hispanian trade income is at all-time high and the wealth just keeps pouring in! And of course we built it! With hard work and determination! Could you believe it all began with my great, great grandfather selling a simple painting to the king!”

Amedeo: “That is quite a story! Sometimes little things like a painting can be the start of something truly wonderful.”

The Grandmaster laughed even more, slapping the Bishop’s back “Isn’t that right! But enough about me and my family. Tell me how are things in other parts of our glorious Empire?”

Amedeo: “In Sicily, the situation is good for the Protestants but the Emperor has conscripted many Sicilians for the army. That is something I do not approve and neither all the citizens of Siracusa…” Amedeo drank more wine but he kept the amount reasonable.

Jean tugged his bearend, thinking “That is quite worrisome if you ask me. But tell me… Do you approve of our Emperor? What if the power went to the people? Let everyone decide what to do with our nation?”

Removing the emperor would be an act of treason, Amedeo realized. “I do not approve of all of the Emperor’s action but he is the rightful ruler of Hispania, for the time being. In republics like in Genoa and Lübeck, the common people have no say so do not be delusional, Jean. Of course, I wish we had more influence over the politics of the realm but I find it highly unlikely that this will happen.”

Jean rubbed his chin, thinking even more “You’re right, Genoa and Lübeck are republics, but most of their citizens do not have a sat in the matters of the state. But they are merchant republics. What I speak of is something else, something greater! Of course it would require that the Emperor is overthrown. And that would be considered treason. And I prefer that my head stays right where it is.” The Grandmaster laughed before taking another sip of his drink “But we can dream, dream of a country run by the people, for the people. A real republic.”

Amedeo: “Well, are you only dreaming of such a government or are you actually working on making it a reality, Grandmaster? A country run by the people could gather a lot of support from commoners but the nobility would not approve.”

Saint-Pierre’s expressions turned to a fairly serious on as he looked at Amadeo “I think it would be better if I keep that a secret for now. It is true that a lot of commoners would support it, but we have to keep in mind that currently people are content with the way things are. And let us not forget who provides the biggest amount of troops for the army. That is right nobles. Not only are they problematic because of their influence. The levy is a big concern in case of such theoretical rebellion. The people rising up against the Emperor would be slaughtered!”

Amedeo: “Have you heard of the term sell-sword before? I believe a rich trading company like yours would not find it difficult to hire capable men for a just cause. Am I wrong?”

The Grandmaster shook his head, a sight passing through his lips “Of course I have heard of mercenaries. The Trans-Atlantic Trading Company employs a lot to protect it’s African possesions. And even with the support of sell-swords the Emperors’ army would have more numbers. No, an open rebellion wouldn’t work. What we need is a… Coup. Quickly get Francesc off the throne and use the chaos to gift the power to the common man of Hispania. Make everyone equal.”

Amedeo had not come to the grand ball to discuss a possible overthrow of the emperor but the grandmaster loved that topic and so he continued talking with him about it, knowing that doing so could get him killed. “A, you are planning for a coup d’etat. I did not know that you had such a distaste for the government. Are your preparations going well?”

Jean only laughed at this, rolling his eyes “I did not say I was planning one. I only said that it was the only way to overthrow the Emperor and install a republic. As I said earlier I like my head right where it is. But I think that’s enough talk about treason. Let us change the subject.”

Amedeo: “As you wish, Jean. If you need someone to talk about your plans you know where to find me. I will await you gladly in Siracusa if your advanced age permits such long travels.”

The Grandmaster slammed the cup against the table in anger “I told you I do not plan anything!” He shouted, spark appearing in his eyes. Why did the Bishop keep saying he had something in mind. Yes, it was true, but speaking about it in public? At a ball? Where everyone could hear about it? This was pushing it too far “But if I will ever think about overthrowing our Emperor, I will let you know.”

Amedeo: “Very well. It is time for me to leave, tomorrow I plan to visit some churches in the area and for that I need some rest. Please excuse me, Jean. It was a pleasure to meet you and your intriguing thoughts.”

“It was a pleasure meeting y…” The Grandmaster was cut off by a sudden ache in his chest. He clenched his hand around his heart, falling to the ground in cold sweat, craving for air.

Amedeo screamed “Doctor! We need a doctor!” When facing Jean he tried helping him up and asked: “What is it? The wine?”

Jean kept breathing heavily, tightening the grip on his chest “No… It’s my… It’s my heart.” He said in a breathless tone.

((Thanks @05060403 for this joint-IC!))

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chancellor Mandromenos came over and asked how Felipé was doing.
"Tired." He said. "My age is not what it used to be. But it is always good to attend imperial festivities, you never know what you see or hear. Sometimes what you learn can be used for the good of the country." Felipé took another sip of the wine and a bit of bread before speaking again.
"How is your family doing by the way, the polish are encroaching on Byzantiums borders and the Mamluks are still going strong, perhaps we should strike first and remove the threat?"

After leaving for a bit the guard returned asking Eduard for his name.
"My name is Eduard Villanova" he said perplexed.
"Well, looks like I'll have to let you in, there better be no trouble, got it?"
"Yes, yes I'll find a table away from the nobles."
As Eduard entered the hall went silent as he felt the states of many nobles. He proceeded to sit as far from trouble as he could only speaking to request coffee or fish.

Last edited:
((attempting to convert Valencia))

((Well this result is interesting. You actually managed to convert the capital to Protestant and no one knows you are responsible. I expect this to be a major topic of conversation. :p))

Crown Prince Ferran approached a group of more notable nobles, including Alvaro, Mandromenos, Etxeto, and Montségur. As he was about speak to them, he heard someone shout for a doctor. Ferran rolled his eyes and said, "Probably some elderly lord threw out his back dancing."

Even as the crown prince cracked another joke, across the room Emperor Francesc made his way towards the gardens where the outburst had come from. When he spotted Jean Gérard de Saint-Pierre lying on the ground, clutching at his chest, he rushed back in and gathered a few of the guards. He immediately set them off in search of a doctor. Hopefully the court physician was somewhere in the palace. Instead he rushed to the fallen man's side, next to Bishop Amedeo, and said, "Help is on the way."

The Countess of Lisboa had been looking forward to the ball, and arrived fashionably late. To her son and husbands despair, she had been discussing all the way to the ball with Sophia, her daughter-in-law. The Mandromeros girl was delightful, and Lúcia was more than pleased with this match for her son. Secretly, Lúcia also hoped to see her second son at the ball, José. After she had sent him to the de Soneta's, she had feared he would grow to despise her. Yet in all the letters he had sent, he was positive and seemed to understand the situation, and appreciate the de Soneta household. It felt as a relieve.

When they arrived at the ball, Lúcia took her son at his arm. You can enjoy the dancing later. First, duty.

But before she had an opportunity to present him to anyone, she noticed something going on. She approached the group where she saw several familiar faces, including Petros Mandromenos, Félipe de Alvaro and Louis de Montségur.

It seems I arrived right in time for trouble. Which father is claiming to defend the family honor after a young noble gave the wrong look at his daughter this time?

The Duke of Trinacria spent a few moments outside of the feast, gathering information about the religious state of the capital. One of his men approached him, saying that the great Cathedral of Valencia was nearly deserted during the last Mass. Instead, the good people flocked to some newly erected churches with their new priests, men from Germany and Sicily. That was all he had to hear. Pleased, Montségur returned to the great hall.

"Duke Montségur! Are you enjoying the ball? Those are some fine, exquisite cloths you are wearing. Very elegant and fashionable." Amedeo admired the wealth of the Duke. "Have you considered renovating the Cathedral of Siracusa? It could use some improvements for which the church does not have the funds."

'Good to see you, bishop Gentile. Indeed, the churches in Siracusa may be too small to accomodate the faithful. As our church is thankfully not corrupt, I will have some men plan the future of the churches of Sicily, including the Cathedral of your bishopric.' Louis smiled. 'Anyway, I am sure you would like to gain some interesting knowledge. It seems that the capital has turned its back to the pope... With Valencia in majority Protestant, your previous fears of mistreatment of our brothers in faith might be put to rest.'

The Countess of Lisboa had been looking forward to the ball, and arrived fashionably late. To her son and husbands despair, she had been discussing all the way to the ball with Sophia, her daughter-in-law. The Mandromeros girl was delightful, and Lúcia was more than pleased with this match for her son. Secretly, Lúcia also hoped to see her second son at the ball, José. After she had sent him to the de Soneta's, she had feared he would grow to despise her. Yet in all the letters he had sent, he was positive and seemed to understand the situation, and appreciate the de Soneta household. It felt as a relieve.

When they arrived at the ball, Lúcia took her son at his arm. You can enjoy the dancing later. First, duty.

But before she had an opportunity to present him to anyone, she noticed something going on. She approached the group where she saw several familiar faces, including Petros Mandromenos, Félipe de Alvaro and Louis de Montségur.

It seems I arrived right in time for trouble. Which father is claiming to defend the family honor after a young noble gave the wrong look at his daughter this time?

It seems that the elderly Grandmaster's time has come, I'm afraid. Remind me to not allow myself to serve until my death, I have a Caribbean Island that will serve as a better place to die.

Petros bows his head and mutters a quick benediction for the man.

And have you not heard? My son is to wed a Sonata bride. Dear Catherine is a delight to be around, she will be a fine Lady Mandromenos in time. In fact, I wish that Sophia had the chance to get to know her when they were younger, they are around the same age and would have been fast friends. And speaking of which, may I ask how the new couple is doing? I happily await the first grandchild and the tales my son-in-law will bring of his services to Hispania.

Alejandro arrived late to the festivities, passing his lateness as administration, and something about considering marriages for his children, and if the Count of Athens allowed him, his grandchildren also.

As always for a de Soneta, Alejandro dressed luxurantly, with the choicest of attire, but ever keeping a blade close at hand, especially given the last time a ball was declared. The usually resolute Duke shuddered at the mere memory of that fateless day. But no matter, he proudly stood at the gates, and was lt in post haste that he and his family were let in, and his children, despite being all around twenty, scanned eagerly around like magpies after silver, before dispersing around the room. Alejandro also allowed the little one, his nephew, to go off to find his mother, in a way Alejandro was surprised the Countess de Maia of Lisbon requlished something as precious as a son, even if he was a second born. The boy had fostered well under his and the Lady Montségers care however. the lady in question herself seemed eager to find her brother, and of course Alejandro obligied. His Great uncle, the late Pope Francis, had made the most profound impact upon Alejandro, and he tried to uphold to his principles, but this made Alejandro's counterance that of a somber melancholy, exasperated by his most unusually blue eyes, contrasting sharply against his tan skin and black hair. Many had said that added to his allure, but with wife and children, he needed no such attentions tonight, as he watched casually the ball from afar, lazily drawing his hand around the crystal wine glass, waiting to see if he was noticed, he grinned.

((well i am here at the ball guys if you want to speak to me, and no Alejandro isn't a depressed old mope, he just was quite heavily inspired by a certain fictional character i synpathise with deeply))

(( Steward plans:
  1. Italian defense: dismantle the fortresses in Lucca and Umbria. Upgrade Genova and build new fortress in Siena (remove shipyard for space).
  2. Moroccan defense: dismantle fortresses in Gharb and Fez, upgrade Ceuta.
  3. Spanish defense: upgrade fortresses in Valencia, Navarra and Girona
  4. Fleet: upgrade shipyards in Valencia, Lisboa and Napoli, build new shipyards in coastal provinces in Spanish region with spare room.
  5. Trade: Build Marketplaces/Trade depots in Nice, Albenga, Tangiers and in Ivory Coast trade node provinces.
  6. Army: upgrade Valencia barracks
))