• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chef Niko

Corporal
23 Badges
Apr 13, 2021
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
It is nice to see automation and service bots in the game. I realize these are big game-changing things, which is likely why they are currently breakthroughs, but I would like to see them moved to end-game technology which is expensive, but always available.

For a bit of background, I'm a computer science engineer who focuses in artificial intelligence development. I expect that society in the future will incorporate these things in to itself much more than it has currently, and I think it is unrealistic to have a future society without them. It is very sad and unfortunate that our current society is based on capitalism, and is using these technology to maximize profits and fuel greed, which is really holding things back. However, capitalism is not a long term sustainable model, so I have a lot of hope for the future!

It is really nice to see the game embrace a better ideal for society, by listing a milestone as "40% workers in workshops". I am very happy to see that, and work proudly towards that goal. Personally, I believe that society should be focused on the health and welfare of its citizens, and helping them find true fulfillment, instead of "meaningful employment.", which I believe these workshops represent. I think we can do a lot more than 40% though, especially with better access to AI & robotics (like service bots).

I realize that unlocking automation and service bots will make the game easier, which may not fit in with the developers goals, but perhaps a compromise can be found. For example, service bots could start out at around 75% efficiency, with a breakthrough tech that pushes them up to around 125%. Automation could start out reducing the workforce requirement a bit, and a breakthrough to reduce it further.

Hopefully this post will at least spark some ideas, so we can see an even better Mars!

It would be nice to have some mid- compromise system. Like when automation for service buildings is first unlocked unmanned positions still work at a low efficiency (30%) then with a further tech could go up to 75% or 90% when no one is working, the breakthrough could then just remove worker requirement and make it 125%.