• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LongRange

Captain
4 Badges
Jul 9, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
Has anyone done much with this unit yet? Basically feels like a bigger, stronger RVN. I have one or two in storage because they are usually too light weight for most of my missions. And HBG nerfed the ECM after everyone abused the RVN capabilities.

I’m asking because I just got splatted doing the Kurita Alliance FP. First three missions were OK. Not more than the normal high skull missions. But the final TA mission was a killer. Beacons are mid-map, NW corner and NE corner. You start against 2 lances of heavy mechs with heavy vehicles spawing from a “garage” at the base. Then a reinforcement lance lands with more heavies and an assault (KGC) right next to the NE marker. If you manage to get all the markers covered (I did) you are out of position to get to the extraction which is extreme NE beyond the marker and reinforcement lance. I was almost to the extraction with my final mech when the final hunter/killer lance dropped almost on top of me and I couldn’t get that last step into the zone.

Was wondering if using the Cataphract ECM would provide a better result. Maybe run through the heavies to the farthest point without taking damage and leave the rest as assault damage dealers to thin out the rest? I killed most of the original defenders, but there were just so many and you were instantly flanked no matter where you moved. I did Davion, Steiner and Liao alliance FPs with not too much trouble, but this one is a puzzler.

This one is as close to a Kobayashi Maru scenario as you’ll find in the game.

Never used the unit. I bought the 6t ECM sold in Davion Faction store and made my own ECM Atlas . :D

That said i finished this mission before ECM entered the game.

For me the solution was 4 assault with max armor and max jump jets. All pilots had bulwark and i saved morale for vigilance. And everybody jumped every turn, except for the time needed in the markers. Suffered heavy dmg but i did it. Toughest mission in the game for me.

Reactions:
Yeah, I lost this one. Okay, technically I completed my objective, the target was destroyed, but I lost my lance in the process. I'm also pretty sure that one of the enemy lances was only present because of a choice I made earlier in the flashpoint.

In retrospect, razing that town on questionable intel was probably not a good idea, but it's what the client wanted.

I've messed around with it a bit. I forgot what I loaded it out with though (maybe a LLaser and A/C5 with MLasers. I think I may have had an Ultra on it.

Overall it was ok. The AI often reserves down when you reserve so I never really felt the ECM was worth it over a regular Cataphract.

Still, I think with the right tactics or missions, it would be decent. I just haven't put enough time into it to really develop a solid strategy with it.

Yep, when they nerfed the ECM by having the opfor reserve down with you, it killed the abilities usefulness. I was having fun running a RVN with 3 assaults and cleaning house, but now that party is over.

Actually, I was thinking about running the ECM Cataphract with full armor, jump jets and whatever weapons that will fit. Spring/jump to the farthest marker then come back to the middle one. If he reserves, then everyone else will reserve and my other three assaults will be able to tee off on the opfor. At least that the working theory.

Of course that never survives contact with the enemy, or so the saying goes.

ECM was broken originally because the AI didn't know how to counter it. Now the AI can counter it, but ECM still makes them much more predictable. If there is ECM, the AI will focus any target it is able to shoot and ignore the ECM, making bait mechs more effective (if they can survive). They are also guaranteed to charge the bubble if they have no targets, trying to pierce ECM. That can make them overextend units. ECM is a lot harder to use now, but it can still be effective.

Also, the anti-missile effect works as long as you aren't sensor locked. If there are going to be LRM carriers or other missile heavy units (Catapults, Archers, etc), then having +4 defense against all of their attacks and immunity to indirect fire can still be useful, even if direct fire weapons can still hit you.

Reactions:
I’m currently deploying my battle-ready CTF-0X (along with a MAD-2R, a MAD-3R & a WHM-7A) in my Battle Lance (I.e. 3rd battle-ready ‘Mech lance abroad the Argo) since a long time ago, and I’m very satisfied with its overall battle performance.

• 1Like
Reactions: