Easy way to fix peace conferences without changing the entire system - Fix the AI (especially democratic AI)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

currylambchop

Star eater gang (she/her)
38 Badges
Nov 25, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
The main problem with peace conferences is when random states get liberated by the allies. For example, the Allies liberating a mini-poland or occitania. Maybe they should make it so that if any country on the same side is occupying a state, the allies won't liberate it in the peace conference. Also, make the AI not take states that are claimed by the player. And make countries prioritise taking territories they occupied before the peace conference and that are near to them. It would make the peace conference work a whole lot better than now without being too complex.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Simple way to implement this into the game that I tested: add this to ai_peace puppet, liberate and force government code
Code:
        modifier = { #Don't touch occupied territory
            factor = 0
            ROOT = {
                any_allied_country = {
                    FROM = {
                        all_owned_state = {
                            OR = {
                                is_controlled_by = PREV
                                is_owned_by = PREV
                                is_core_of = PREV
                                is_claimed_by = PREV
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }   
        }

• 3Like
Reactions:
Simple way to implement this into the game that I tested: add this to ai_peace puppet, liberate and force government code

Congrats on offering a solution.

Code:
        modifier = { #Don't touch occupied territory
            factor = 0
            ROOT = {
                any_allied_country = {
                    FROM = {
                        all_owned_state = {
                            OR = {
                                is_controlled_by = PREV
                                is_owned_by = PREV
                                is_core_of = PREV
                                is_claimed_by = PREV
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }

Maybe should be any_owned_state instead of all_owned_state?

As i understand the current implementation blocks only if the whole country is controlled/owned/cored/claimed by a single ally.

Moreover checking for states owned by others makes no sense here i think as only FROM's self-owned states are up for grabs in the conference.

Reactions:
Maybe should be any_owned_state instead of all_owned_state?

As i understand the current implementation blocks only if the whole country is controlled/owned/cored/claimed by a single ally.

Moreover checking for states owned by others makes no sense here i think as only FROM's self-owned states are up for grabs in the conference.
any_owned_state seems to cause the game to crash for some reason

Reactions:
Great suggestion.

I'd argue you might want to check to do the same for Communists, as Soviets or other Communist countries, if they were to ever win a war, as they're quite spam happy to release random puppets everywhere possible much like Democratic AI.

Great suggestion.

I'd argue you might want to check to do the same for Communists, as Soviets or other Communist countries, if they were to ever win a war, as they're quite spam happy to release random puppets everywhere possible much like Democratic AI.
They actually have a little bit of this already; the communists don't take cores/claims from faction allies. (so no Soviet Occitania if France is in the Comintern) and Fascists won't take land from an ally who has an "annex" wargoal on the land in question.

Overall, I really like the suggestion that started this thread. Not doing anything to land *controlled* by an ally seems excessive, (the Dutch can end up controlling most of Germany, depending on where D-Day lands) but respecting cores and claims of allies seems extremely sensible. No more British Occitania!

IMO, the dev team usually does a pretty good job updating peace conferences. They still have their troubles, but they get better basically every expansion. (The last update to the non-fascist peace conference AI was MtG, though.)

The main issue is the ahistorical balkanization of France. They could update the Democratic/Communist/Neutral peace conference to respect France's borders more, but the peace conference AI isn't really the issue here: France should probably automatically get all of the territory owned by Vichy. (but then you run into "what happens to Indochina, which was probably owned by Japan in the peace conference?" and some weird edge cases for if Vichy happened to have annexed new colonies after being formed)

Reactions:
Yeah but fundamentally the problem is when they try and steal land that others occupy. So this would be a fix for that.

Fundamentally, there are two big problems and several smaller ones. The first big problem is that war participation doesn't trace to actual impact on the war outcome. The second is that the top two nations in peace conferences can infinite pass and lock out all other nations from getting anything...which even the AI does sometimes.

A significant runner up to those two is that making a puppet or supervised state allows one to bypass the 10x cost modifier for taking land held by other factions.

• 2Like
Reactions: