East India Company: Reivews, Previews, Interviews Meta-Thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hooked Gamers 7.6/10 - HERE

Striving to balance a complex mixture of trading strategy with sea combat simulation, East India Company offers a rather unique gameplay experience. Players compete in real time to control India's riches with a total of seven other nations. The game consists of three views: an overall map, a city view and a zoomed in view that is used to play out sea battles. The overall map covers the area from Europe to India and thus includes the Middle East and Africa. You can reach your goals by either bankrupt the trading companies of all competing nations or to control all ports in India for 10 years without interruption. Neither of these goals are easy to reach, but then again, the game wouldn't be any fun if it was.

Strategy Informer 7.5/10 HERE

Despite its flaws though, East India Company is a lot of fun whilst playing it. The main campaign will take you a while, and there are several factions you can try it with. It’s a shame there’s no factional variation however, as that would add to the replay value considerable. As it stands, it would be surprising if anyone played through the main campaign more than once, seeing as in the same thing tends to happen each time. There are ‘mini’ campaigns you can try out, form different starting dates, but apart from skirmishes, there really isn’t a lot else to this game.

Avault 4/5 HERE

Patience is something that shooter players don’t have in their repertoires, but RTS fans need to have it to succeed, especially in East India Company, in which most of your time is spent clicking the mouse and watching the attractive graphics do their thing. But there is a shipload of annoyances that threaten to ruin all of the good work that Nitro has done with this RTS. But I’m hooked anyway, despite the occasional brain cramp (hint: save early and often!). Fans of the genre will have loads of fun with East India Company, and it’s just accessible enough so that newbies can get in on the action with a minimum of heartache.

That Gamespot review would be 8 after the new patch since most of its grudges are addressed in it!

Also, it made me laugh loud when I read about captains:

Although their comments are relatively generic, their knowing sea-weary faces, ample girth, and flowing beards are surprisingly endearing.

What reviewer didn't know is that faces of captains are actually faces of game developers and you will quickly recognize them when you watch the "Office Tour" video. Apparently NG devs look like a bunch of hardy seamen. :)

Purchase with caution...

waste of my money. :mad: The game is pretty cool, but what fun is a strategy game that you can't play online. I have a purchased copy and it has been updated to 1.05. Firewall off and account created and still can't see any online games (and I know they are there because a friend can see them with his version, by the way I talked him into dumping $40 as well). The game was released 4 days ago and already 2 patches...way to spend some time in beta testing guys! I might dust this peice of junk of in a year or so when it is actually something that should be on the shelf, and I am sure it will only be $10 by then. NICE!

Oh, and nowhere to contact them as well, another great feature of Paradox. Purchase with caution.