• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HJ Tulp

General
22 Badges
Jan 19, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
bava6jn.png

Realm: Bavaria
Head of State: Albrecht I von Wittelsbach
Player: HJ Tulp
Religion: Catholic
Culture: German
Stats: 3/3/10/10/4 --> [3/3/10/10/4]
Provinces: 10
Ports: 3
Owned: Bayern-Straubing(3), Bayern-Landshut(2), Bayern-Münich(3), Friesen(4), Hainault(4), Holland(5), Zeeland(4).

Last edited:
Claims:

Parts of the province of Verona

Parts of Trent

Tyrol

Salzburg

Oldenburg

Last edited:
The Wittelsbach Family

When Otto of Wittelsbach gained Bavaria at Altenburg in September 1180 the duchy's borders comprised the Böhmerwald, the Inn, the Alps and the Lech; and the duke exercised practical power only over his extensive private domains around Wittelsbach, Kelheim and Straubing.

Otto only enjoyed his new dignity for three years. His son Louis I succeeded in 1183, took a leading part in German affairs during the earlier years of the reign of the emperor Frederick II, and died (assassinated) at Kelheim in September 1231. His son Otto II, called the Illustrious, the next duke, found that his loyalty to the Hohenstaufen saw himself placed under the papal ban, and Bavaria laid under an interdict. Like his father, Otto II increased the area of his lands by purchases; and he had considerably strengthened his hold upon the duchy before he died in November 1253. The efforts of the dukes to increase their power and to give unity to the duchy had met with a fair measure of success; but they were soon vitiated by partitions among different members of the family, which for 250 years made the history of Bavaria little more than a jejune chronicle of territorial divisions bringing war and weakness in their train.

The first of these divisions occurred in 1255. Louis II and Henry I, the sons of Duke Otto II, who for two years after their father's death had ruled Bavaria jointly, split their inheritance: Louis II obtained the western part of the duchy, afterwards called Upper Bavaria, and Henry secured eastern or Lower Bavaria.

In the course of a long reign Louis II, called "the Stern", became the most powerful prince in southern Germany. He served as the guardian of his nephew Conradin of Hohenstaufen, and after Conradin's execution in Italy in 1268, Louis and his brother Henry inherited the domains of the Hohenstaufen in Swabia and elsewhere. He supported Rudolph, count of Habsburg, in his efforts to secure the German throne in 1273, married the new king's daughter Mechtild, and aided him in campaigns in Bohemia and elsewhere. For some years after Louis' death in 1294 his sons Rudolph I and Louis, afterwards the emperor Louis IV, ruled their duchy in common; but as their relations were never harmonious a division of Upper Bavaria occurred in 1310, by which Rudolph received the land east of the Isar together with the town of Munich, and Louis the district between the Isar and the Lech. It was not long, however, before this arrangement led to war between the brothers, with the outcome that in 1317, three years after he had become German king, Louis compelled Rudolph to abdicate, and for twelve years ruled alone over the whole of Upper Bavaria. But in 1329 a series of events induced him to conclude the treaty of Pavia with Rudolph's sons, Rudolph and Rupert, to whom he transferred the Palatinate of the Rhine (which the Wittelsbach family had owned since 1214) and also a portion of Upper Bavaria north of the Danube, afterwards called the Upper Palatinate (Oberpfalz). At the same time the two lines of the Wittelsbach family decided to exercise the electoral vote alternately, and that in the event of the extinction of either branch of the family, the surviving branch should inherit its possessions.

Henry I of Lower Bavaria spent most of his time in quarrels with his brother, with Ottakar II of Bohemia and with various ecclesiastics. When he died in February 1290, the land fell to his three sons, Otto III, Louis II, and Stephen I. The families of these three princes governed Lower Bavaria until 1333, when Henry II (son of Otto III) died, followed in 1334 by his cousin Otto IV; and as both died without sons the whole of Lower Bavaria then passed to Henry III. Dying in 1339, Henry III left an only son, John I, who died childless in the following year, when the emperor Louis IV, by securing Lower Bavaria for himself, united the whole of the duchy under his sway.

The consolidation of Bavaria under Louis lasted for seven years, during which the emperor was able to improve the condition of the country. When he died in 1347 he left six sons to share his possessions, who agreed upon a division of Bavaria in 1349. Its history, however, was complicated by its connections with Brandenburg, Holland and Tirol, all of which the emperor had also left to his sons. All the six brothers exercised some authority in Bavaria; but three alone left issue, and of these the eldest, Louis, margrave of Brandenburg, died in 1361; followed to the grave two years later by his only (and childless) son Meinhard. The two remaining brothers, Stephen II and Albert I, ruled over Bavaria-Landshut and Bavaria-Straubing respectively, and when Stephen died in 1375 his three sons governed his portion of Bavaria jointly

Factions in the Bavarian Lands

Last edited:
Diplomatic Relations:

Official envoys currently in the Bavarian lands:

none

Offical Bavarian envoys currently abroad:

none

Personae:

Duke Albert (Albrecht) the First of Bavaria-Straubing.

The Count of Holland, Zeeland and Friesland, he is a weak man and is heavily influencable by his friends on one side and the Count of Bayreuth on the other. The Duke tries to distance himself from politics and diplomacy as much as possible. The Count of Bayreuth doesn't mind.

Though he is allready a man above 40 Duke Albrecht is known as a playboy and a party-animal. In each of his castle he has a personal maid aiding him in his....needs. Though the Duke has a great love of women he couldn't care less about any bastardly off-spring nor non-bastards by the way...

The Count of Bayreuth.

The Count of Bayreuth is a man in his mid-50's though noone knows how old he exactly is. Since the death of the father of Duke Albrecht the Count has gotten more and more influence over the daily affair of the lands of Duke Albrecht and the other Bavarian lands. It is rumoured that he is a bastard of John I but those have not been confirmed though it would explain why the Count is so hellbound on uniting the Bavarian lands.

Wilhelm von Wittelsbach.

Son of Duke Albrecht, he is lectured by the Count of Bayreuth. Unlike his father Wilhelm has a sense of duty and is very interested in politics.

Open!

Last edited:
A letter arrived from Heidelberg, Court of the Wittelsbach of Rheinpfalz and it was sealed by the Seal of the Elector himself:

Dear Cousins in Bayern, as you shall know there is a Claimant to the Sicilian throne who cames from Meissen, but as you shall know as well is that my heir Ruprecht was married to the sister of the later Sicilian King Friedrich III, and as so insulting the claims of the actual Queen is insulting as well the claims of the sons of Ruprecht, and as so Wittelsbachian Claims, so we would like that we all, as a joint family will support Queen Maria in opposition to the Meissen Usurper, and you can do so by offering economic collaboration to Sicily or sending us the money so we can send it to her.
Your Gratefull Cousin Ruprecht I von Wittelsbach, Count and Elector of Rheinpfalz

electorseal2vl.jpg

"You got them?"
The man at the window turned around and faced a man who had obviously travelled alot and had travelled fast. His coat was dirty and if the old man at the window had stood closer to him he would have smelled the sweat.

"Yes milord, both of them." the traveller reported.

"Excellent, your monthly salary will be paid through the normal channels. Give me the letters. That will be all."

"Thank you milord. I will allways be ready to be of service to you."

"I don't expect anything less."

After his agent left the Count of Bayreuth (for it was him) left the room. He entered another room in which a courier from the Pfaltz stood.

"You wait here, I have a ride for you on very short notice." Then the Count walked on, ignoring the fatigued and irritated look on the couriers face. After a short walk the Count entered another room. This room was for more luxurious then the other one. Inside the room a man sat on a couch with a dull rather then tired look on his face.

"Ah Max my freund. How are you? Care for some wine?"

"No thank you milord, I have a bit or a stomach ache this week. I'm sorry." the count said on a slightly irritated tone. He rarely drank wine but the Duke drank to much to think of those things.

The Duke ignored, or more probably didn't notice, the irritated voice and said:
"Anyway, if you don't come here to drink with me I assume you come here for matters of state? Come on with it then I be done with it."

"Yes milord, your family from the Pfaltz have send us a letter. They request money to aid your distant relatives on Sicily against usurpers from Meissen."

"Sicily? What in gottesnaam do we have to do with Sicily? They want money? Do they think I money enough or something? The wine supplies are almost depleted and I haven't given a party in days."

"Yes milord, in light of these events and other what would you say if I would pay your relatives a visit? Maybe I can convince them that they don't our money, maybe I can even get some rhine wine for your Grace."

"Bah, Rhine Wine is dispicable but anyway go ahead. Oh and could you send for Maria? I need uhm a good massage."

The Count forced himself no to sigh, made a bow and turned around. Two hours later he was on road to the Pfaltz and a peasant girl with the name of Maria was on road to the Ducal Chambers....

"Thank you milord

Some emissars reached the palaces of the severals Duke of Bavaria, they came in name of the Count-Elector of Pfalz, they carried this message that was given to the Dukes:

Milord Ruprecht, Elector, Count of Rheinpfalz, Imperial Archstewar and Imperial Prince invites you all to Heidelberg Castle to debate over important family issues that shall bring prosperity to the Family Lands.

A letter arrives from Prague.

"Dearest Uncle Albrecht,

As I stand here at Prague being forced to defend myself from vicious slander launched by the henchmen of our cousin, the Elector of Rhine Pfalz, I ask of you to send a diplomat of your own to the Diet to speak, as the emissary of Pfalz is not making Haus Wittelsbach appear favorably to the other princes of the empire.

As you may know, the grandson of the elector has designs on the Sicilian crown. While he is our cousin, that crown is currently held by my nephew, and thus your great-nephew Friedrich, the Margrave of Meissen. This 'Saxon' claim has been supported by King Wenceslaus. It is a much stronger claim than that of Albrecht's grandson as the younger Albrecht's claim is based on several variables, including the excommunication of the Crown Prince of Aragon, which is dubious as we do not know what faith he practices, and as such we do not know if the blanket excommunication of all of Robert of Geneva's followers includes him.

Therefore, my uncle, I ask of you to send a Bavarian to the Diet, so that you may be heard and that the Emperor-elect does not make any harsh judgments against the entire Haus Wittelsbach simply because our cousin, the Elector of Rhine Pfalz is a greedy warmonger.

Yours,
Balthasar, Son of your beloved sister Matilda."

bohe4ja.png
hung8tb.png

Unto his grace Albert I Wittelsbach, Our dear father-in-law.​

We, Vaclav IV, hereby invite you to royal wedding between John of Luxembourg duke of Görtz and Mária Angevin Queen of Hungary.

This wedding will take place on 1st Saturday of May in Esztergom basilica. We hope that you will accept our invitation to celebrate this joyous and wonderful occasion of uniting two young people together in holy institution of marriage. Godspeed.

Signed

Vaclav IV, Dei gratia Romanorum imperator semper augustus et Bohemia
Rex.

OOC: thursday, hungarian court.

"Elizabeth, Queen Dowager of Naples, Jerusalem, and Albania, Queen of Poland, Transylvania, Slavonia, Croatia, and Dalmatia, Princess of Spoleto, Princess Dowager of Achaia, Durazzo, and Taranto, et cetera, to Albrecht I von Wittelsbach, Duke of Bavaria, greetings.

It gives us great pleasure to write to you, considering the great affinity of blood that exists between us, for my mother, the princess Margareta, was a daughter of the Emperor Ludwig IV, and those also of the House Wittelsbach. Word will no doubt have reached you that I, who was presumed dead, am indeed alive and well, having gone into hiding after baring the late King Charles of Naples two bastard sons. After the death of his Queen, he took me as his wife, and as such legitimised our sons; it was only because of his accursed alliance with the Infidel that the union was not recognised, and that my sons remain illegitimate.

By right of my father, Stephen, brother of the late King Lajos, I am the rightful inheritrix of Transylvania, Slavonia, Croatia, and Dalmatia, which latter inheritance I have been deprived of by the lady Erzsebet, Queen Dowager of Hungary. Whilst I cherish little hope of being able to make good my claims to those lands, I am yet hopeful of pressing my rights to the crown of Poland, by right of my grandmother Elzbieta Piast, sister of the last native King Casimir III. Indeed, not long ago my son Stephen Pietro was declared Stephen I of Poland by the Archbishop of Ostia, only for the Pope to declare this null and void, and proclaim instead the girl Jadwiga.

Most importantly, however, for me to be able to press my claims to Poland, I must needs have a husband. As my closest male kinsman, save my two young sons, I ask that you come to my assistance, and provide me with a consort, perhaps your own son William, so that I will be able to sit unopposed on the throne of Poland. I eagerly await your reply here in Spoleto, where I hold my own court independent of King John in Naples.

By her own hand,
Elizabeth, Queen Dowager of Naples, Queen of Poland"