Does Battletech work on the new M1 powered Apple Mac Book Air/Pro notebooks (2020)?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not sure if its helpful, but I just updated my none M1 Mac to Big Sur, and the UI has a few issues, and the game itself is a bit like wading through treacle, was fine on the same machine pre Big Sur.

Occasionally the main menu requires you to double click on menu selections.

Given it was fine before Big Sur I think this is down to the update.
For fun disclosure I did clean install and copied across my save games.

Not sure if its helpful, but I just updated my none M1 Mac to Big Sur, and the UI has a few issues, and the game itself is a bit like wading through treacle, was fine on the same machine pre Big Sur.

Occasionally the main menu requires you to double click on menu selections.

Given it was fine before Big Sur I think this is down to the update.
For fun disclosure I did clean install and copied across my save games.
I ran it mostly fine on 11.3 (still not released as of this message, will test on 11.4 later today). I've had that issue before but solved it by alt-tab'ing out then back.

I am browsing to troubleshoot my install of Battletech so thought I'd comment here.

I have a shiny-new MacBook Pro with M1, 8-cores, 16gb memory and installed Steam and Battletech through there.

The game starts up fast, looks beautiful as I start a new campaign, controls all smooth and snappy but then... gets stuck on the first "Enemy Turn" in the tutorial mission. So... it's a fail so far.

I've seen elsewhere that the GOG version of the game works fine, but I'm not too interested in paying for another copy, though it'd be worth it if I was sure it would work.

same problem here, with an iMac & GOG version.
Paradox support said that they have not intention to release ever other fixes for the game, for them is dead, so I asked for a refund.

I've been running this game on my M1 Air (8/8/8G) just fine the last few months and even on macOS 12 Betas. To fix the bugs and add official support would be a major undertaking as they would need to bring Unity up to the 2020.8 (I think) version which would effectively re-write the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've been running this game on my M1 Air (8/8/8G) just fine the last few months and even on macOS 12 Betas. To fix the bugs and add official support would be a major undertaking as they would need to bring Unity up to the 2020.8 (I think) version which would effectively re-write the game.
Excellent points and it is great to know the M1 Air (8/8/8G) runs just fine. :bow:

BATTLETECH is an excellent game, which our modding community has taken to another several levels. : )

And I agree, the effort to bring BATTLETECH’s code current would be an expense, time and resources better spent toward the two projects HBS still has under wraps.