• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Besuchov

Studio Manager, PDS
Paradox Staff
64 Badges
Mar 6, 2001
  • Sengoku
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Impire
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
To build a new Nation
Its that time of the week when I have to write a dev diary again. This week its time for an old feature that has gotten a major overhaul, namely buildings and province decisions.

Buildings have always been part of the EU gameplay, as the game progress you build tax collectors and cathedrals to improve each of your provinces to give you things like more tax, improved stability and lower revolt risk. Later we added the province decisions where you used magistrates to improve your decisions further with things like population censuses, grain depots and monuments. What we ended up with was a collection of lots of cool things you could do with your country but we started to see to many of them where overlapping and quite a few of them were no brainier decisions to take and you found yourself clicking some of them way to often. The time had come for some consolidation.

So for Divine Wind, the first thing we did was to get rid of a lot of the province decisions and merge in their effects in the buildings system. Then we had some unemployed magistrates so we made it so that each building you build requires a magistrate. The good thing with this is that we get rid of the gamey tactic of minting furiously when you know that the workshop is coming up in a tech or two and then carpet your country in them within a day, now you have to manage your magistrates and prioritize.

Then we looked over all the effects of buildings and province decisions and tried to get rid of overlapping and useless effects. After this was done we ended up with 56 different buildings. It become clear that if we wanted to keep the interface and the clicking of buttons on a manageable level we needed to do further refinements.
We then divided the buildings into there types:

1.Regular buildings: These are buildings that you might want to build in just about every province. These are divided into categories for the 6 different technologies plus one category for forts. Each building in a category is a prerequisite for the next one, so you cant build a Shipyard if you don't have a dry dock for example. This 'leveling' system now reduces 42 different things to choose from, when you come into the province screen, down to choosing between 7 at a time. It also give a specialization feel to the system where some provinces become administrative centers and other become army building provinces. To reinforce this we made the last two levels extra juicy but also made them exclusive. Do you want to build a Conscription Center for extra manpower or do you want to build a Customs House to give your merchants 1% extra compete chance?

2.'One Per Country'. These are extra powerful buildings with both local and nationwide effects. The drawback is that you can just have one of each in your country at any given time. Some of these require a certain property of the province they are built in, like the Grain Depot that requires a certain resource or the March that can only be build in non core provinces, while buildings like the War College can be built anywhere.

3.Manifacturies. These are already rather expensive and specialized and the act of building one is a real decision so we felt that these fitted into our design philosophy so we kept them as they where.

Now, as some of you realize, even with this rationalization we where left with the problem of where to fit this into the interface and we realize that something had to give. Our sacrifice for this new system was the city view, which is now gone to give room for a new interface where you plan your province improvements. Another advantage of this is that its less work to add new buildings in the future since its much easier to redo the regular interface than to try to fit new buildings into the 3d city view.
So that's it for now, lets hope you enjoy this new feature that I personally think will have a really interesting effect on gameplay. I will now get back to work on the feature that I will tell you about next week.

Thomas Johansson
Associate Producer and Project Lead on Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind

Attachments

• Divine_Wind_DevDiary5–To_build_a_new_Nation1.png
    Divine_Wind_DevDiary5–To_build_a_new_Nation1.png
    2,1 MB · Views: 11.972
  • Divine_Wind_DevDiary5–To_build_a_new_Nation7.png
    Divine_Wind_DevDiary5–To_build_a_new_Nation7.png
    2,2 MB · Views: 12.998
Last edited:
One question Besuchov. (Well multiple questions for one topic! :p)

What happens when you conquer a country's territory that also has a "One Per Country" building?

Do you then end up with 2 of such buildings?

Or is the newly conquered one then destroyed?

Many buildings are marked as destroy_on_conquest and will be destroyed whenever the province changes hands. This also means that you will have to rebuild provinces you conquer somewhat, making quick expansion a bit harder.

Interesting! That's going to require considerable modification to my gameplay - and I like it!
But please tell me you can build a fort without a magistrate... at least a level 1?
No.

'Uniqu buildings', eh?
?

If we need one magistrate per building we build, wont a large colonial empire be left with fewer building (say you have 2-300 provinces). You would need most of the magistrates just for building forts in new provinces...
Yes! Large empires are demanding.

Sounds something like the Civ system, especially with unique buildings standing in for national wonders.

This is going to make the magistrate generation rate of the various government types extremely important. Are we still going to be able to increase the rate that they're generated by provincial decisions, such as road building, or have these too been removed along with post offices, etc?

I'm a little sad to see the end of the city view, but it's hardly the most vital part of the game and this seems like a fair swap.
Road network is a member of the "building family" now.
How many magistrates you gain and how you gain them will be subject to some rebalancing.

Look great! You mentioned that certain unique buildings require a particular province feature (grain depot needs grain as trade resource). Could that apply to regular buildings as well, eg a dry dock (as a more advanced naval facility) would need naval supplies in a province?

I'm not sure we will be doing this for dw, but all buildings have a trigger which needs to be met. (ie this is how we make naval buildings impossible in provinces without ports)
So for modders it'll be possible.

Nice change. Makes these features much more streamlined.
Are decisions gone altogether? It's not possible to utilize them for modding purposes?

Decisions are still there for some things like the HRE. Fear not modders out there.

And Royal Palace is only allowed in your capital.

From the second screen it looks like the different colours below the building icons shows the following:
Green: Already built
Red: Not built yet
Grey: Not available at this time
Black - with a hammer depiction on the icon: Building in progress.

May I suggest to alter the latter so that it has a yellow colour and gradually moves from left to right as the building is getting built? That way you can see at a glance the progress of the construction :)

It is a progress bar, we're at day zero though, so no progress has been made yet.

Level 5 and 6 forts are also a tad bit better than before.. each of them add 100% defensiveness.

Hi

I have couple of questions

can modders add more buildings , the interface will be more flexible that it was in HTTT?
For example in HTTT you can only have three rows for buldings ( in interface ) and one row for manufactures so you can not really add much more buildings because there was no space for them

another question , You can use any trigger that allow building to be built , for example tax or manpower in province ( for example custom house that can be build if province has tax 4 or more , or if it is overseas or not , or if for example have some country decision or Idea or even advisor ) ?
Thanks for reply

It's a standard province trigger. You can check if the owner has advisors and stuff.
The six groups are placed in a list, so it's easy to add more, one per country has problems similar to the old system.

2) Are forts 5/6 mutually exclusive like the other top tier buildings?

Am i right to assume that, for a given province, that the last two levels of fortifications will enter in the competition with all the other top levels of the other building categories ?

I'd like to know that I have the option to destroy a building in order to allow me to repurpose a conquered territory. Let's say my idea is to put strong defensive locations at the frontiers and trade and production centers in the interior. As my empire expands or contracts, the territories that meet these qualifications may change, so I need to be able to repurpose the province, itself.

Yes they are in competition like the rest. And level 5 & 6 forts are also destroyed on conquest.

Hey a new Paradox face :p Welcome to the forums!

Welcome, Captain Gars :)

Thank you!

Is this "destroy upon conquest" encoded in the buildings file... and therefore moddable ?

Please say yes... pretty please ? :p

Well, since you ask so nicely... yes.

What about very decentralized Empires?
Does the central government have to spend magistrates to reach the far corners of the empire, just to build a lvl 1 fort?

And in China, where the provincial governors would have decided on matters like these, now the Emperor, the player has to do everything with his own divine hands?
No local development, orders must come from above?
State transforms the society, society not the state?

Depends, if you're decentralized enough to have parts of your empire as vassals, they'll build the buildings for you.
But if it's you who decides what and where to buy, you're paying. There are still some events that give buildings as before.

That's great thank you

so we can add for example new categories easily , how the interface will change , we can add for example scroll bar if we want to have more categories than 7.
For example if I want to add one more category for my medicine technology . how the interface react? , I know probably I will have to change a bit, but it will be possible to look nice ? I hope you will understand what I'm talking about :)
Now I thinking about a lot more categories , special for overseas provinces etc.
I hope that will be possible :)
and thank you for reply

It's already a list, script a new category of buildings and a scrollbar will appear.

No kidding ? We can have more categories of building ? :eek: Did i say i love you guys ? :cool:

Question : is there also a way to add one or more levels to each category ?

No promises, but some modifications to the .gui files should be enough.

and the level at which buildings become exclusive is scriptable also.

Last edited:
Thank you! I thought it was mentioned that buildings would drain income, but if not than it isn't really an issue. I can still see the need to destroy unique buildings if you didn't want them in that province, but it's not a pressing need like a building that had a magistrate income penalty associated with it would be.

Unique, manufactory and high level buildings (the ones that are exclusive) can be destroyed the 'x' buttons in the interface.

Other than the magistrates being required for certain buildings, the changes sound good.

It's scriptable, I'm sure there will be a "Fort level 1 without the cost of a magistrate"-mod pretty soon if people find it to be an actual problem after launch.

I don't mean to be condescending or patronising, but I think we already got enough people in this thread alone saying that it will be an actual problem before launch.
It's obvious people don't mind the AI getting a level 1 fort anywhere it wants, as long as it doesn't prevent us from having them wherever we want.
And it makes sense really, I have to agree with them. Everybody loves conquering land from other nations, and yet everybody hates re-conquering their land from rebels. Making life easier for rebels is not really the way things should be heading to.

Otherwise we'd play with Ethiopia (which still needs to be properly nerfed btw :D).

Enough people for what?
Why do you think the ai will get them for free?