Direct railroad connection between ports ignored in favor of convoy

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

efpies

Sergeant
12 Badges
Dec 1, 2013
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
I play as Ethiopia and have puppets Kenya (at peace) and Tanzania (at war). Supplies from Kenya to Tanzania are sent using convoy, they immediately get sunk, so my army is without supplies.

What the actual hell?

20240316234645_1.jpg

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
All I can say is that the supply system is still in need of work to deal with issues like this. I would LOVE to be able to choose to manually change a supply route.

• 4Like
Reactions:
While convoy transport being prefered over railroad may be still explainable with a (conceded suboptimal) preference logic putting emphasize on a wrong parameter, at least the complete absence of supply when closing ports and try to force land transport appears to be a clear bug in my eyes. I would vote up both issue though, if they get bug reported...

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well, there's a rule that whomever holds the territory supplies the troops. Thus all supply routes go from the capital of territory holder. With bunch of puppets that is what primarily should be checked (along with tooltips in hubs to reconstruct supply routes). Two screens don't give enough information to find out what's really going on.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've tried to send troops from North Africa to Greece (I had naval superiority) and instead of catching a quick boat to Greece they decided to walk through Iraq, Iran, through Russia and down past Romania etc to get there. I either owned the route or had military access.

I had to intervene to send the troops to an island first and then on to Greece to put a stop to it.

Definitely needs attention.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
All I can say is that the supply system is still in need of work to deal with issues like this. I would LOVE to be able to choose to manually change a supply route.
It should be a choice as to whether you send supplies by sea or pause / slow your offensive while the land supply route gets sorted out.

Channel carnage during the 'Battle of France'.

Reactions:
Puppets don't have military access to each other. You can boost (with railroads) supply hubs of your puppets that are bordering you, but cannot boost ones through other puppets. That's why you lose connection to the capital when the ports are denied of access - there is no land route.
In faction everything works good and well - everyone has access to everyone.

Reactions:
Puppets don't have military access to each other. You can boost (with railroads) supply hubs of your puppets that are bordering you, but cannot boost ones through other puppets. That's why you lose connection to the capital when the ports are denied of access - there is no land route.
This in theory can need be fixed like "all puppet gain military access to other puppets under the same masters"

• 6Like
Reactions:
I've tried to send troops from North Africa to Greece (I had naval superiority) and instead of catching a quick boat to Greece they decided to walk through Iraq, Iran, through Russia and down past Romania etc to get there. I either owned the route or had military access.

I had to intervene to send the troops to an island first and then on to Greece to put a stop to it.

Definitely needs attention.
This is a quite different issue to do with issuing movement orders. When instructing units to move to a province by clicking on the province they will ALWAYS take a land route if one is available and only use the naval route if they cannot go by land. If instead you issue orders to be in the destination area (fallback line or frontline or something like that) then the game is more sensible. If you want to give explicit orders then you order them to the port where you want to embark and then order them to the port you want them to land at by clicking on the port symbol (rather than the province and then order to final destination. This sequence can be chained together with shift clicking. The key bit to realise is the need to actually click on the port symbol as the travel destination to specifically prompt naval movement.

Reactions:
Half of Soviet Union is supplied by convoys going all around the globe from Murmansk to Vladivostok for no reason, which can be sunk.

It really does need some "preference" option.

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Half of Soviet Union is supplied by convoys going all around the globe from Murmansk to Vladivostok for no reason, which can be sunk.

It really does need some "preference" option.
The biggest problem is that the rails to St. Petersburg are level 3, whereas the rails to Vladivostok are 2, perhaps some of it is level 1, if I remember. Upgrade the rails to Vladivostok to at least 2, all the way, maybe 3, and that will go away.

Same for stuff in the US going around from Baltimore to San Diego via the Canal. Some railroad upgrading will fix that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've had similar issues playing as Soviets. After defeating Germany and starting the war with Allies my divisions supply dropped.

Firstly I thought it was partisans or strategic bombing, so I spent some time repairing railroads. But it didn't fix the issue, even though roads and hubs were fine.

Then I noticed that my supply was actually going from Leningrad to high-level german port and in the process convoys were being attacked by Allied subs.

After completely restricting sea zones the supply problem was instantly fixed as it started to flow through the railroads (for me it was supposed to happen in the first place but apparently it wasn't so obvious to the game logic).

• 2Like
Reactions:

I think this is the root of the issue. There's no faction, puppets can't move through each other's land. I didn't think even trains won't work. Supplies work through ports though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, there's a rule that whomever holds the territory supplies the troops. Thus all supply routes go from the capital of territory holder. With bunch of puppets that is what primarily should be checked (along with tooltips in hubs to reconstruct supply routes). Two screens don't give enough information to find out what's really going on.

I own the territory, so the supply route goes from my capital. Both puppets aren't in the same faction.

20240318133822_1.jpg
20240318133320_1 copy.png

Reactions:
I had similar issues as Italy in that area.

Honestly I'm of the opinion that all supply hubs in all areas should be inter connected with rails even if its not historical because AI doesn't build the rails to link them and its just annoying.

as far as this goes, going to navy mode and turning the sea region to avoid might help.

Tbh, transportation like that going from Mozambique to Addis Ababa should be far more beneficial to be conducted by sea IRL; HoI4 relying on free land logistics like that is really a huge miss (and a significant part of its anti-naval bias of course).

Also do the puppets need trains?
I think they would. I always tend to send my puppets some stuff to pad out their inventories though so that's usually less of an issue for me personally. In an instance where supply is travelling from one nation to another though...I'm honestly not sure what the "rules" are specifially.