Different combat width and experience points for building up division

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
HEARTS OF IRON 4 - SUGGESTIONS

brainiii

Recruit
10 Badges
Jun 2, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
First of all, I say sorry for language, i'm not native speaker, and that's why I can repeat somebody's idea (difficult to read all threads).

So, the first point do discribe is the combat width, more accurately, its division into some certain groups. I mean, 20-40-80-... and so long. I suppose this system kills one of the most important part of gameplay, the strategy of division templates. Now, an experienced player has only two (in general) ways to produce templates, 20 or 40 combat width. Therefore, division templates of each kind of troops has a little amount of usefull templates, like 7 infantary and 2 artillery, etc.

My idea bases on different combat width for "every" province, depending of type of province, the size, maybe, some other qualities. This approach will solve the problem of typical templates, that makes "the army of clones" and adds more flexible system of creating special division, for example, for city fights, or river crossing.

Making the difference of combat width for provinces brings up new problem - how to create a lot of different templates, it costs a lot of expierence. My solution is based on HoI 3 experience with officers, and that's produce more immersion. So, now templates will not take experience points to be created, but the fact of producing the division will cost some EXP. This way, it will replace the officers, that were used in HoI 3. The army without officers is useless army, but now, playing the Germany or USSR, we can start to train a lot of division the same time. IRL, it will create a HUGE problem of a lack of commanders.

In general, this two changes can provide a lot of new experience for players, especially for multiplayer games.

I hope this post will be readed by developers, and if it isn't acceptible for the common game, I ask for advice how to realize this in mod?

• 2Like
Reactions:
, the first point do discribe is the combat width, more accurately, its division into some certain groups. I mean, 20-40-80-... and so long. I suppose this system kills one of the most important part of gameplay, the strategy of division templates. Now, an experienced player has only two (in general) ways to produce templates, 20 or 40 combat width. Therefore, division templates of each kind of troops has a little amount of usefull templates, like 7 infantary and 2 artillery, etc.
20 width and 40 width provide ample space for variations, especially 40width is super-capable, but combat mechanics and stats distribution kinda make most units irrelevant, and it is a good place to start changes.

As for specialized divisions, they simply don't work aside from mountainers and Marines in MP, because there really is no point in them, as it takes far, far too much micromanagement to get something useful out of units optimized for some specific purpose.

Reactions: