Devs waiting for community to finish the game?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Andrei Untaru

Sergeant
17 Badges
May 23, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
After 1.1k hours of Victoria 2, 2.7k hours of EU4, 1.1k hours of CK2 and 400 hours of CK3 I can confidently say that this is by far the worst Paradox game i have ever played.
It disappoints in every aspect and there is absolutely nothing here that wasn't done better in Victoria 2.
Many are saying that this is some complex deep Economy/Society builder games. Seeing those comments i really have to wonder if they played more than 10 minutes.

Let's talk about the game's most important feature, the economy, which also happens to be its core gameplay mechanic.
If you click on the market tab, you can see the supply/demand of goods in your market.
Sort this by demand and then build the buildings producing high demand goods, or import them.
Rinse and repeat for the entire ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ game because that is all there is to do.
Low iron? Let's build some iron mines! Low grain? Let's build some grain farms! Low infrastructure? Let's build railways!
That is literally all there is to do economically in this game, mind numbing building micro tedium.
Click trade tab --> check demand --> build high demand goods --> repeat.

Another fun economic mechanic is that it is literally impossible to go bankrupt because of a bug. Being in default (= maxed out loans with negative balance) gives severe stacking penalties to your nation, but these penalties randomly reset back to 0.

One thing i really like about the V2 economy is that it is as micro intensive as you want it to be. You can manually build the most optimal factories, you can sphere countries that produce goods you need, you can build factories producing said goods in your spherelings, you can check the trade screen for global demands and goods produced in your sphere, or you can just put a laissez-faire party in charge and ignore it the entire game.
When you go to war you subsidize the economy and focus on your military. If something really demands your attention you just pause the game.
I never felt that warfare in V2 detracted from my enjoyment of the economy.

But what about society? If you click on your government tab, you can see reforms you can pass. Go ahead and put the interest groups that support the reform you want into the government, then start passing it.
There isn't really a limit as to who can join the government. Which party wins an election doesn't matter because you can just invite the opposition into your government anyways.

When passing reforms, the most important thing is RNG. You will be spammed with events (Wickedness must be stamped out!) that either lower or raise pass chance. Initial pass chance doesn't matter. I passed a reform that had 10% chance to pass which eventually increased to 50%. I failed to pass a reform with 25% chance (it dropped to 0%).
In Victoria 2, you can clearly see who votes for what. High militancy will make your Upper House more likely to vote on stuff. Not a perfect system but at least you're not spending 20 years as the USA trying to pass universal suffrage.
As Korea i also saw some interesting time frames here, such as the game predicting a reform will be passed in 36000. Well at least the God Emperor will be happy that the Koreans have embraced Agrarianism.

Diplomacy doesn't seem to work well. When playing as Korea, i was unable to get any allies or help in diplo plays even though the relevant countries had attitudes that made them want to cooperate with me.
I tried allying japan who had very high relations and according to tool tip wanted an alliance or defensive pact. But no,
their ruler's focus on defending their borders made them not want a defensive ally for some reason...

Same with the USA, i was unable to do literally anything diplomatically because every AI kept saying no.
The diplomacy is comparable to EU4 on very hard difficulty, but at least the EU4 AI will ally you if it's friendly toward you.

As the USA, i started a diplo play to annex my vassal, the indian territories. For some ungodly reason France, who had good relations with me, joined the Indian territories in their war against me.
After that, despite improving relations, they kept hating me and eventually took a treaty port in Virginia. I was unable to retake the treaty port because the USA apparently has no claim to Virginia.

V2 had dynamic diplomacy with often changing alliances, and an actually somewhat intelligent diplo AI that would seek out
beneficial allies. You'd have Germany and Italy allying against France and Austria, France and Russia allying against Germany, UK and Germany allying against France etc.

On topic of AI behavior, I noticed some interesting things. Italy forms in 1840 without Modena and Lucca, and the just sits there doing nothing and not conquering any of their cores. This happened in both games i played and also in every YT video on Victoria 3 I saw where the player doesn't interfere in Italy. The NGF isn't formed in 1870 and a bunch of random North German minors are still independent. Austria never collapses or loses any territory because of their massive army.
The Tai Ping rebellion happens in North West China where the muslim minority is even though it was caused by a christian sect. ACW is nonsensical with states like NY joining the CSA.
Egypt, just like in the official paradox stream, made some bold choices during the peace negotiations with the Ottomans, such as conquering Istanbul and central Turkey.

Forming Germany in V3 is worse than in V2. In V2 you fight Denmark for Sleswig-Holstein, then Austria to get all German minors in your sphere, and finally France for Alsace-Lorraine. This is pretty much how Germany formed irl.
Meanwhile in Victoria 2 you just passively annex German minors with high relations and can form Germany without even fighting any wars. It makes for a much less engaging experience than V2.

The war system is horrible, you have no control over your armies. Fronts will split up randomly, there is only ever one battle per front, said battle can have dumb numbers like 30 vs 5 brigades even if both sides have large armies, said dumb battles aren't reinforced so you lose territory because of bad RNG.
For example with Korea, i lost a battle against China which split the front. Since i only had one general i had no way of defending the second front.
Said fronts where on the Korean-Manchurian border, so all of it was connected.

Navy doesn't seem to do anything, i set my Navy to patrol coast yet still got naval invaded without a naval battle happening, i did my own naval invasion and it just never happened for some reason.
A warfare system without the ability to move armies on the map offers some interesting possibilities such as having multiple armies in the same province without them fighting a decisive battle, which would finally allow for asymmetric warfare in a paradox game.
Of course paradox hasn't taken advantage of any of these possibilities. After all, you're supposed to micro your buildings...
But I'm sure there will eventually be a 30$ DLC to address these concerns...

To summarize, this game is horrible with the only somewhat developed mechanic being the very basic and boring economy 'gameplay'. It fails in every other aspect and makes for a much worse experience than Victoria 2 with GFM, HFM, CWE, DoD or similar mods or even vanilla.

LE: I`m starting to think that management actually chose as their strategy for this game to just make the most barebones mechanics and throughout the coming years based on community feedback to start adding DLC`s based on what people are asking for the most $$$.
10 years of waiting for the biggest cashgrab, that`s what this game feels ATM.

• 13Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Games are supposed to be fun, i don't find Victoria 3 fun until now...

Maybe i am missing something, maybe i am a noob. I will try it a bit more.

• 3Like
Reactions:
This is just copy/paste review from Steam that i already read. Are you the same person that wrote it? And are you now on holy war to show people who actually enjoy game that they are wrong having fun?

• 14Like
Reactions:
When I told people not to pre-order or just wait a few months before buying it, I got downvoted to death. I mean, you call it a cashgrab but you're the one who chooses to give them your cash.

• 22Like
Reactions:
This is just copy/paste review from Steam that i already read. Are you the same person that wrote it? And are you now on holy war to show people who actually enjoy game that they are wrong having fun?
Exactly my thoughts. The title does not relate to the content at all.

• 3Like
Reactions:
If you click on the market tab, you can see the supply/demand of goods in your market.
Sort this by demand and then build the buildings producing high demand goods, or import them.
I'm not any kind of expert or anything, but I feel like this is doing it wrong.

Different jobs have higher probabilities of joining different IGs. Rather than mindlessly trying to equalize supply and demand, have you considered designing your economy with the goal of enriching the IGs you want at the expense of others?

• 13Like
Reactions:

Different jobs have higher probabilities of joining different IGs. Rather than mindlessly trying to equalize supply and demand, have you considered designing your economy with the goal of enriching the IGs you want at the expense of others?

The UI of this game is horrendous about giving you the actual information you need to make decisions. The game and tutorial do not make it clear how to support the groups you want to plan your economy around without being constantly in debt or having an economy that lacks required goods. The tutorial is great for the very surface level stuff. I think the IGN review was critical of this and playing Vicky 3 I completely agree.

The game also has very little wiggle room to try and support pops you want (at least as a minor power, I'm sure big countries have no issues with this). And what the OP says about passing laws is absolutely frustrating and awful gameplay. I change out IGs in the government menu to try and get a law passed, but you'll never have enough legitimacy from the groups you want in power. It might be realistic, but it's not fun. It was easier to check a box in Vicky 2 and be done with passing the law you wanted. It was abstract, but it worked and it was clear.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think there are some good constructive points here but I don't think it's un fixable.

I do agree that German Unification was by far the most fun mechanic in V2. I'm surprised they simplified it the way they did. It's super boring now. Removing that mechanic from V3 was unusual. forming Germany was my absolute favorite thing to do. would love to see a dev comment as to why.

Agree a bit on the economy but I'd say it's a little more complicated than the reviewer is making out. Seem like there is some real potential there.

I think the war mechanic may have potential. but it's just an abstract of the bouncy bouncy now.

Reactions:

Is he doing it wrong though? His goal is to maximize the economy, never mind worrying about IGs. The "empire" or the "nation" comes first for him, before any particular group. That is the whole point of the Economic Domination Journal option BTW.

There are plenty of ways to shape your society through Laws and Decisions. I know because that is what I did for my Prussia playthrough. I balanced supply and demand to my best ability and drifted on the waves of political trends, adopting and abandoning my allegiance to any IGs as needed, my only goal to maximize my economy. First it was the Armed Forces/Landowners who served my purposes, then it was the Capitalists/Armed Forces/Landowners, then I jettisoned the Landowners and boosted the Intelligensa but kept them out of government, then the coalition became the Capitalists/Intelligensa/Armed Forces, then I jettisoned the Armed Forces and added the Trade Unions and Rural Folk.

This is definitely a valid roleplaying choice.

You press spacebar, watch prices go up and down and take corrective action. every game is the same button clicking price watching as you gradually build up your economy. I feel like people are forcing themselves to enjoy this. I wanted to like this game too, but I kept asking myself, 'is this it?'

Reactions:
You press spacebar, watch prices go up and down and take corrective action. every game is the same button clicking price watching as you gradually build up your economy. every game is the same. I feel like people are forcing themselves to enjoy this. I wanted to like this game too, but I kept asking myself, 'is this it?'
What you're saying is "I don't like economic simulators and Victoria 3 is an economic simulator". Go play HOI4 or smth.

• 7Like
Reactions:
You press spacebar, watch prices go up and down and take corrective action. every game is the same button clicking price watching as you gradually build up your economy. every game is the same. I feel like people are forcing themselves to enjoy this. I wanted to like this game too, but I kept asking myself, 'is this it?'
At its core, yes that is it. But that is the definition of an economic simulation game, no? Make no mistake, there are plenty of people who like this type of game. I do think Vic3 is pretty janky and buggy and there needs to be a lot of balance work to get the game into a better state. The core mechanics are good (to me).

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
You press spacebar, watch prices go up and down and take corrective action. every game is the same button clicking price watching as you gradually build up your economy. I feel like people are forcing themselves to enjoy this. I wanted to like this game too, but I kept asking myself, 'is this it?'
This is fundamentally correct but it's unhelpfully reductive, a bit like saying that EU4 is just fabricating claims and invading people (if you played EU4 1.0 this was maybe 90% of the gameplay experience).

Reactions:
I didn’t buy the game thanks to the marketing campaign just before the release, but here’s my thoughts looking at so many streams

-German unification happens far too easily and far too often. No one challenges you, not even France, because you don’t have to take Alsace Lorraine. This is because:
- The AI looks genuinely brain dead, both diplomatically and for war. In all the playthroughs I have seen, I have not seen anyone trying to prevent either Italian unification happening or German. At least I’m Vic 2, the AI will reasonably ally the Great Powers against one another, helping to keep the balance in check. Here they seem to do absolutely nothing.
- The war changes looked interesting on paper but the execution was incredibly botched. Not adding army models to at least allow us to see what the heck is going on, or see where our troops are, is in my opinion the biggest mistake. With this, at a stroke you lost the feel of at least being able to get the feeling your the spirit of the nation and influencenhow your nation is running the war. Even Peter III got to move his toy soldiers around.

Teleporting of troops when surrounded on a beach is questionable. A complete lack of ability to control the objectives, or where you can influence the armies, is a big question mark.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:

You press spacebar, watch nations form alliances around you and exploit those in proxy wars. every game is the same button clicking aggressive expansion watching as you gradually core more and more land. I feel like people are forcing themselves to enjoy this. I wanted to like this game too, but I kept asking myself, 'is this it?'

alternatively
You press spacebar, watch your kids get born and grow up and take corrective action (in order to only have 1 male heir). every game is the same button clicking renown watching as you gradually build up your dynasty. I feel like people are forcing themselves to enjoy this. I wanted to like this game too, but I kept asking myself, 'is this it?'

• 2Like
Reactions:
What you're saying is "I don't like economic simulators and Victoria 3 is an economic simulator". Go play HOI4 or smth.
It's the opposite. People liked Vic2 because it was an (imperfect) economic simulator, and dislike vic3 because it doesn't even attempt to be one. There's no actual economy in vic3, it's all an illusion that forces you to make thousands of clicks per playthrough. It's an illusion because goods aren't actually ever produced or sold, while in vic2 they were.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I didn’t buy the game thanks to the marketing campaign just before the release, but here’s my thoughts looking at so many streams

-German unification happens far too easily and far too often. No one challenges you, not even France, because you don’t have to take Alsace Lorraine. This is because:
- The AI looks genuinely brain dead, both diplomatically and for war. In all the playthroughs I have seen, I have not seen anyone trying to prevent either Italian unification happening or German. At least I’m Vic 2, the AI will reasonably ally the Great Powers against one another, helping to keep the balance in check. Here they seem to do absolutely nothing.
- The war changes looked interesting on paper but the execution was incredibly botched. Not adding army models to at least allow us to see what the heck is going on, or see where our troops are, is in my opinion the biggest mistake. Teleporting of troops when surrounded on a beach is questionable. A complete lack of ability to control the objectives, or where you can influence the armies, is a big question mark.
Maybe I just borked my Diplo game but as Prussia, it was kind of hard to make the NGF early because every time I confederated with a German minor, my infamy would increase to the point that minors were switching to and from Austria constantly. Maybe I needed to knock out Austria with a war, but I avoided that path to maximize my good relations. No matter, the infamy increases prevented a quick formation of the NGF.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Maybe I just borked my Diplo game but as Prussia, it was kind of hard to make the NGF early because every time I confederated with a German minor, my infamy would increase to the point that minors were switching to and from Austria constantly. Maybe I needed to knock out Austria with a war, but I avoided that path to maximize my good relations. No matter, the infamy increases prevented a quick formation of the NGF.
Im glad to see that you are getting some resistance! I see so many streams AI Prussia beating the crap out of France, Austria etc and absorbing huge chunks of territory.. heck, AI even forming Italy before 1848.

Maybe it would work olaying as Prussia itself, but since I aspire to play the likes of Brazil etc, I’m really not sure of getting it. Seeing Egypt constantly annexing Constantinople and gobbling Ottoman territory without the Great Powers intervening seems rather odd to me too

• 1Like
Reactions: