Dev Diaries will be back in "a few weeks"

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah a "few weeks" is exactly what they said when they first stopped doing DDs too.

• 6Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for sharing this information.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They probably watched Internet Historian's "The Engoodening of No Man's Sky" video and concluded that the bare minimum of communication is the best option.
What's that all about?

(Please don't tell me to watch it, it's almost an hour long. That'd be a bit too much to watch just to understand a joke on the forum! :D )

• 1Like
Reactions:
What's that all about?

(Please don't tell me to watch it, it's almost an hour long. That'd be a bit too much to watch just to understand a joke on the forum! :D )

I haven't watched it but No Man's Sky itself was a game that was

1. MASSIVELY hyped
2. Panned almost universally at launch
3. Suddenly, much to the surprise of everyone, actually pretty damn good by almost universal consensus

I haven't played it myself but I want to stress how big deal this is from this point of view: once something becomes an acceptable snark bait on the internet, in the vast majority of cases it's doomed. The required mass to sustain a critical hate pile in order to generate a consensus that a work (game, film, etc) is utterly trash is rather low and recoveries are really rare because people will keep on hating it without even giving it a fair shot.

Yet somehow NMS pulled it off, much to the bafflement of the world. Maybe it was just so uncontroversially bad at first that people... didn't bother to sustain the hate pile? I dunno.

Reactions:
I haven't watched it but No Man's Sky itself was a game that was

1. MASSIVELY hyped
2. Panned almost universally at launch
3. Suddenly, much to the surprise of everyone, actually pretty damn good by almost universal consensus

I haven't played it myself but I want to stress how big deal this is from this point of view: once something becomes an acceptable snark bait on the internet, in the vast majority of cases it's doomed. The required mass to sustain a critical hate pile in order to generate a consensus that a work (game, film, etc) is utterly trash is rather low and recoveries are really rare because people will keep on hating it without even giving it a fair shot.

Yet somehow NMS pulled it off, much to the bafflement of the world. Maybe it was just so uncontroversially bad at first that people... didn't bother to sustain the hate pile? I dunno.
Thanks for the explanation! :)

I checked the Wikipedia page and it said the game received "mixed or average" reviews per Metacritic.

I found this interesting part of the Wikipedia article:

"Murray stated later that Hello Games had failed to control the exaggerated expectations of the game from the media and the larger-than-expected player count at launch, and since have taken an approach of remaining quiet about updates to the game until they are nearly ready to ship to avoid miscommunication."

:)

Reactions:
Thanks for the explanation! :)

I checked the Wikipedia page and it said the game received "mixed or average" reviews per Metacritic.

I found this interesting part of the Wikipedia article:

"Murray stated later that Hello Games had failed to control the exaggerated expectations of the game from the media and the larger-than-expected player count at launch, and since have taken an approach of remaining quiet about updates to the game until they are nearly ready to ship to avoid miscommunication."

:)

Geez how much BS. As if that hype and exaggerated expectations weren't created by them. They promised a combination between Eve and Elite and they delivered Solitaire in space.

• 6Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
What's that all about?

Summary: NMS became "scam of the year" in the eyes of almost everyone because of the rushed release and the lead dev overpromising. Since his word wasn't exactly valuable anymore, said lead dev decided to hunker down and fix the game, only communicating when certain fixes were released. Eventually this succeeded in turning the game from laughing stock to something viable.

Reactions:
Do it coward!
Ah, if only I had such courage!

;)

-----

Ceterum censeo message settings esse restituere.

Furthermore, I propose that message settings must be restored.

-Cato the Elder

It's so sad that it was posted on some socialmedia for celebrities, not in the forum where fans are waiting and looking for those DD's every few days.

• 2Like
Reactions: