• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is Immarel having doubts?

Poisoning them all is one way to deal with intransigent nobles.

Ishera cutting ties with Immarel felt so sad...
Immarel always had doubts. Thing is, she's really good at rationalizing any behavior. The ends always justify the means. Because if they don't, she'll make up a reason they do, and convince herself she was right all along. That's just who she is, in-game and in the AAR.

And Ishera? No, not cutting ties. She's in too deep for that. But Ishera is coming to realize more and more who exactly her best friend really is, and always has been.

Chapter 6: Holy Wars (The Punishment Due)
Chapter 6: Holy Wars (The Punishment Due)​

An army on the march has a stench to it. I’d gotten used to the clean, orderly city I’d turned Gemradcurt into. Eighteen-thousand infantry, four-thousand calvary, and all the animals, sweat, and excrement that came along with the march assaulted my senses. It makes my mouth water in a bad way, like I’m about to puke.

At night, the endless campfire and the mess sergeants cooking meals for their units. We moved slower than I’d like to Raiththall. Captain Talaran said with an army this large, twelve miles a day over the old roads was the best we could do before we risked exhausting men to death. Some days, the front of the army arrived before the rear even began to move.

He split our forces into smaller, more manageable sections that were able to move at once, converging together into our war camp. But the pace of a force this large still drove me insane. I reach for the winds and push icy gales against our backs to cool the soldiers down and help them walk faster.

It helps me emotionally if nothing else.

C8koOXtQKguo6UcT800goqGOyKI3QiHwnXJVIJcoKPq_9Ron_rkgE2g6DeG-AcwX8Vajne239bdAjJTIQsYYIv45xrF0o2JbTIwVF9FYmonxl3cjo73p8bmAfpmYXViKnVrNWCclYrwC1U8u1CyidwI

Harvestcrown’s heirs are soon for the rope.
[The AI was taken completely off-guard by this invasion. You can see they “mothballed” their capital fort, meaning they weren’t maintaining it to save on money.]

We make camp one night and I take dinner with my senior officers. Talaran joins me personally.

He doesn’t say much. He just stares up at the horizon, taking irregular bites of fish stew. I wonder if he’s aging more gracefully than Ishera because of how often his face is locked in that grim, stony look. I remember him being more expressive before we began our campaigns to drive out the crusaders.

“Are you nervous, captain?” I ask.

His eyes slowly go to me. “I am not Ishera, my lady.”

The response catches me off-guard. I gesture for pardon halfway before remembering whom I’m talking to. I scowl. “Don’t speak of her like that, Captain.”

Talaran regards me mildly, scrunching his shoulders slightly. “I mean no offense to you.”

I fold my arms. “Then explain what you did mean, Captain.”

He takes a long time before replying. Idly adjusting the straps of his armor or pushing around his meal.

“Lady Immarel,” he says at length, meeting my eyes, “I used to have lost, aimless thoughts like Ishera does. Until I met you. I learned better. When we stormed Marathmas and Dungat, I thought of very little. You raised the dead at Darblath, and I thought little of it. As I faced Jhorgas twice at Fogrim in a sea of corpses for you, I too thought little. Tomorrow, when I put Raithtall to the sword, I expect it will be the same.

“I have been on campaign for sixteen years now. I have forgotten the taste of fresh bread from the hearth. I don’t even recall the face of my mother before the Tuathak took her. I’ve learned none of that matters. I see no reasons to waste my mind on thoughts of doubt when you have already decided what is right and must be done.”

The silence lingers between us. Until I find the breath again in my lungs. “You and Ishera were some of the very first to stand by me. You’ve stood by me through our worst moments and best. I’ve always valued your trust and loyalty, Talaran.”

He cocks his head. “Loyalty has nothing to do with it, my lady.”

LogDngbpeEgA8uUdUFRi8pmeE5eLTxnBSQ8OeDKE58GzevsKWfZ0sHnRGqm8jFbihYVsShuSkE8SCKYj7fkPHrIrowA7ufH-pIt8N5xkCFk2Oiy26BZbo3HV7PHng-w71hEU0yHz7tBvfHYF5gQDIP8

All of Autumn stands united against us: Raithtall, Sglard, and Einnsag.

Talaran regards me with this quiet intensity. I'm keenly aware of the location of the blood in my veins for some reason.

Part of me suddenly wishes Ishera were here. Even if she's not always right, there's something to be said in someone who will care about you enough to criticize, trying to help. Who will take your hand and just ask you to pretend to count stars to calm down. But she's not here right now.

I can still talk to Ishera as a person. She can confide in me, and I can talk to her in kind. It's always been that way. Even if now she's being quiet, keeping to herself, I know if I called upon her she would listen and be honest.

Instead, I have Talaran. And I wonder if I've somehow caused irreparable harm to his soul through the deeds I've made him commit. Honed him into a more useful instrument for my purposes, like I've done for everything else I've laid hands upon.

Ishera had said something like that. That the people we were fighting for now were not the same people we had been when we began. Because of me.

In a way, I see that now in Talaran's expression. And I can't help but think he's better this way. Not forever, of course. This is the soot and rust we must clothe our souls in to finally be safe. To ensure a future for Snecboth children.

Maybe when this is finally over, and I've completed my bargain with the Everfrost Prince, Talaran will be able to relax and enjoy what we've built together.

Talaran looks away with a frown and finishes his meal. “We should rest before we draw up for battle tomorrow,” he says, focused.

Al8T7cKUh4H1bpmdOMSTt9ZmbjwZ8p5GvWH7QxSEJ5E5y20SCLgHSJJaHhUGshM8fSf2LzKZ2O7W-ISh8qrogrq55J6RLOz-nOD9Te5wnBc2vnP5jXOUeSGb1nK_gR_CrLBdgKyQq05IZhOxxHBcSQs

The walls fell easily. Most of the work was mopping up fortified districts within the city and liquidating resistance cells in the region.

I thought Raithtall would be a city within the autumnal forests. Instead, it’s a walled eyesore in the middle of nowhere along a polluted river. Miles of tents, ramshackle houses, and muddy cemeteries surround Raithtall. Tree stumps extend for nearly a league, a land recently stripped of all firewood by its people. It has the sickly-sweet stench of lingering rot and old smoke.

Ishera and the mages comb through it as Talaran scours the fallen city itself. The mages find scores of trinkets and even iron armaments.

“These are the remains of the crusaders,” she reports, playing awkwardly with the tips of her long ears. Bending them and letting them snap back to place, the skin turning red from agitation. “The Tuathak we exiled from our lands ended up here. They tore the land up trying to survive until we arrived.”

We find most of them as bodies, their skins a menagerie of seasonal Tuathak colors mixed with festering changeling maggots. A rotting throng still lies outside Raithtall’s gates. When we approached, the refugees tried piling into the city, stampeding and trampling each other until the city shut its gate. They starved to death here, caught between Talaran and Raithtall’s walls.

Talaran produces the gold and storehouses of weapons the city had been hiding. Literal tons of weapons and armor, enough to support the army we failed to find on the way here.

Iron and other metals are hard to get in any quantity in Eordand. We take everything for ourselves, waiting for the Tuathak counterattack.

aSaE_ylVGmWdD9TNqAxCgIO1-1fuYYu-bijRC5dFzbyK6hgdiC6ydAS2m0WUm0gQ9M_O_n5wD_fcjKz_6TsW7jcJFcyaGNRJ4ELKolRzfqF38SD8LXlbMKzvmNtmLMzqAKCRpI7j0X--k4SjRoU8ejs

Autumn’s army arrives.

The Tuathak have been squabbling with each other ever since King Harvestcrown died and his empire collapsed decades ago. The fact that Einnsag and Sglard put aside their hatred to rally to Raithtall’s defense alone shows how much they’re all afraid of me.

Enough that the war wizard of Einnsag, Galinaldor Oceansong, is leading the defense personally. Attempting to circle around our lines and cut us off from any supply. They’re content to follow us, refusing to engage in a pitched battle.

Ishera suggests fortifying our conquests so far and slowly grinding them down. Talaran, however, shakes his head. He suggests we fake an advance to lure them in, then doubleback around to fight them at the river crossing in Raithtall. We can use magical scrying to pinpoint their armies to find the perfect time to ambush them on the advance.

yzTShRhqyzvvV26emDKge41wPgeRZ--6hQm4LWOwUiqwGNoDFhUObD3l-az8-ItVuid7AmtUljt4i19w3k05Y4xrCFiqC-5Ku2AcEVEvntxtRPeQhkdoiwMQRrLwaOFVgvjkZ2J-P7Y_IUEVXQOM64Q

Their armies are only partially united. I have my doubts they are really communicating together.

The reports from the mages of the Order indicate most of Raithtal’s remaining forces, those we didn’t kill taking their capital, are poorly armored refugees. They’ve all fallen under Einsagg’s leadership as the only competent force in the region.

I look at Ishera when I get this news. She looks away. I wonder how many fewer enemies we’d be facing if we had just done away with the Tuathak settlers when we had the chance instead of giving them the chance to leave.

As if mercy is why our final objective has become as daunting as it is.

We march for the capital of Sglard. Einsagg takes the bait, and we pull back to engage them over the river.

Einsagg’s leader, Oceansong, may be a war wizard. But he’s no Jhorgas Frostguard, and even if Jhorgas escaped we still tore his realm and armies to pieces.

We did it before. We can do it again.

iaD_GPjYciQU5X7Xd4XXkZ71zTjOTPv0Uy0yn-4WkTG7LHJehnHqVs5w9wCdroZi_d0dFP5oVtSRH91Tywxfv7vJ8Z8Fyw9vBhEC3KIccGO71NGuOaISUf4459Laf5weMiH1QkzijrcfFtSXmuIuTU0

I’ll exterminate every Tuathak mage for this.
[War Wizard generals are unparalleled monsters of battle. Immarel could, in theory, be even stronger if I used her like one, but generals die easier than national leaders, and I need her to survive for my mission tree.]

Discriminating between the raging ashes of dying magefire and what are macabre little fairies is difficult when it’s over. What’s left of Raithtall and the ruined refugee camps are little more than charcoal. The dead are stacked two-bodies deep everywhere, sinking into the incoherent mix of mud and melting-ice. Anywhere warm enough is home to little changeling birds, pecking at the dead to lay their live young into the corpses to feed.

A single day of battle. More than twenty-thousand men are dead. Most of them are snow elves.

Oceansong, the master of Einsagg, fought like Jhorgas before him. Sword in one hand, spellfire in the other, right in the center of the entire slaughter. We’d defeated Jhorgas through manpower. This time, against all of the Tuathak people?

I’ve lost feeling in my hands from abuse of magic. I can feel my fingernails threatening to slide off. One strong pull and I know I could rip them all off and freeze the blood vessels closed. And it still wasn’t enough.

This was just today. What’s going to happen when the sun rises tomorrow and battle is joined atop this field of rotting flesh?

A message from the Order summons me. Ishera requests my presence. I go to the medical wards at the rear of our camp, almost hoping that Ishera is going to scream and yell at me and cry.

Instead I find her and our doctors elbow-deep in blood. She barks orders and Order initiates bring her herbal antiseptics and more thread. I can’t see whom she’s working on through the press of body, but I suspect she’s only deluding herself. I don’t know why she asked for me.

Until a bloody hand rises from the man she’s working on. He grabs her shoulder and pushes her away. “Just get me painkillers,” he says in an unusually gravely yet familiar voice. “I’ll survive. Focus on the men.”

Realization kicks the air from my lungs. “Captain Talaran!”

Ishera looks over her shoulder at me and quickly gestures some emotion. All she does is flick blood across everyone. I push past her to stare at Captain Talaran.

His body is almost in several different pieces and quickly stitched back together. One eye is swollen shut and a number of his fingers bend at odd angles. Scores and scores of cuts lace his body like a Fey had been opening him up for some meal of elvenflesh, like the one across his throat. His left ear has been cut in half, giving him an oddly lopsided appearance.

Talaran grabs a plant from one of the Order doctors and shoves it into his mouth, chewing on painkillers that numb both the senses and flesh. He turns his attention to me as I practically crash down beside his cot. His injured ear flicks with mild curiosity, sending drops of blood across the bed.

“Captain!” I say, reaching to grab his hand.

He chews the plant like cud. Squints like he has trouble recognizing me and what’s going on. Until he sighs long and hard, and coughs. His breath smells of mint and copper. “My apologies, Lady Immarel. I’ve lost my officer’s flute.”

“Talaran, don’t—no, don’t—it’s fine, it doesn’t matter,” I say, the words tumbling out of my mouth. “This is—my fault, Talaran. I’m sorry, I—feyspite and spittle!”

“He was at the front with Oceansong,” Ishera says from behind me, but I can barely hear her. “He kept fighting after that. Trying to save as many people as possible.”

“We’re not losing you, Talaran,” I say, breathing fast and hard. I turn and point. “Ishera, I don’t care what it takes, how much it costs, we are not losing him!”

Ishera hugs herself, fingers rapidly gesturing for mercy and pardon. “We’ve done everything we can, Lady Immarel.”

“Then do more!” I scream, feeling the cold surge of magic in my veins.

Talaran grips my hand tighter, regarding my slowly from either the painkillers or blood loss. Pulling me back towards him. Until he gives a gorey smile. He points a broken finger at my own throat. “Oceansong came for my neck. When that didn’t take, he tried nine more times to deprive me of other limbs.”

“Yes, Captain,” I say, struggling against the urge to gesture for hope. “You’re why our losses weren’t as bad as they could be. You were a hero out there.”

He makes a face. “It took Oceansong ten attempts to kill a mere elf and still he failed. Our enemy is an exceptionally poor swordsman. I favor our odds.”

“What?” I ask.

Talaran pushes me away and lets go. His arms go limp to his side. He chews and sighs. “I’ll be fine, my Lady. I promised to see all of this through to the end.” He coughs. “I won’t let them Tuathak pricks make a liar of me.”

I stand and realize my robes and armor are covered in his blood. I want to scream. I want to destroy everything around me in a fury of frost and wind. I find my chest shaking with the effort of breath itself until my throat feels raw and my fingers curl into claws on their own.

I’ll kill them all. I don’t care what it takes. They will not take Talaran from me. I’ll kill them all.

I turn quickly, nearly bumping into Ishera. Her eyes are wide.

“My Lady, where are you going?” she asks.

“To steal a feast from the Rat Catcher,” I say sharply.

9pHLtEixR6UA_oGROcfIJKVXagWz6b-Z7riO2Z94r7T-cTRidOkQR0mwu0Rzdats0SlkOim2L3b8iE6nJSsMc_1LhBBnpT9tRRWMBwaQAmLESs2suNRmc2teN_EU5hXWtu8vpbfmfRi4Y25s7VSGKSg

The combined Tuathak navy blockades our shores and prevents my army from resupplying from the coast. It’s Jhorgas all over again.

I stand up to my ankles in blood and severed limbs whose origins I can’t place, separated from both my army and guard. It smells like I’m in a massive mouth filled with rotting meat, buffeted by the hot winds of a midsummer night. I’m breathing too hard to hold my breath. The stench permeated through my pores, staining the insides of my lungs with a mold-like black.

There’s certain formalities after battle. When it ends, that’s it until it’s given again the next day. The corpses are allowed to rest or be retrieved. You don’t fight when you’re standing in the organs of your comrades.

Which means it’s the loneliest place on the battlefield. I am alone with nothing but the judgemental eyes of twenty thousand corpses, the buzzing of changeling birds, and the harsh whispers of the occasional fairy.

“I need you!” I scream into the night, exhaling tainted air. Panting it all out as I struggle to see straight. Until I can see it curl into thin lines of cold mist.

The whispering fairies go silent and flee.

I turn and see the Everfrost Prince standing in the last embers of dying magefire. He is as unnaturally perfect as any Archfey might look, out of place and yet seeming like he belongs in the same glance. His eyes are like glaciers as he tilts his head fractionally, one long ear slightly cocked, gazing about the battlefield.

Until he finally looks at me expectantly, like I’m the least interesting thing here.

“I need you here and now,” I say through grit teeth. “I’ve come a long way since Darblath. I’ve mastered more and more of the dark arts. I know we don’t officially have a true pact, but I need your help for this. We’ve come too far together to be stopped now.”

The Everfrost Prince regards me sternly. I half-expect him to rebuke me. To chastise me for the arrogance of thinking I could demand anything of him like this. He steps towards me, and some small, girlish part of me wants to flinch and hide my face.

Instead, he puts a heavy hand on my shoulder. “Show me what you have learned, Immarel,” he says, his voice like a deep rumble carried on a steady wind.

And I do. I feel the magic and my connections to the Fey in every vein, strumming irregularly through an aging body. Carving into the flesh of my soul like so numberless razors. I remember everything I’ve studied. Every word of knowledge I’ve drunk up. Every crumb of practice and experience from childhood to Darblath to here. I remember Talaran telling me the only thing worth believing in was me. Here, beneath the star-filled sky whose number Ishera will one day count when I’ve finally won, I reach for everything, and pull.

They stand from the mud. First one, then ten, then a hundred. I can feel my fingernails hot and wet as I lose count of the dead. As ruined and mutilated elves reach for their fallen swords or try to reattach lost body parts.

I gasp and suck in fetid air. I cough cold blood. I nearly fall to my knees with effort.

But the Everfrost Prince’s icy yet soft grip keeps me up. He surveys my works, then nods like a father seeing his child’s first successful parry with a sword. I feel dizzy with a strange sense of eager excitement.

Curious to see you ask for help when you already know the name of the only god that matters,” the Everfrost Prince says thoughtfully.

I blink the fog from my eyes. “What do you—what—I?

He smiles fatherly. “Yes, at this rate. Now murder the pretenders and topple their thrones.

Then he’s gone.

I lead the silent corpses in the dark and mud, into the sleeping camp along the south. The dead pile over the meager palisade walls and descend onto the Tuathak in violation of every known niceness of war.

AWH2Ae0h-ADt12uA-UkxfHYl6X77FUi7J9d9UpM64HpCY9_68t5rjkrcrS5bIY58705CMEtoFXWNqo_G5BTyav6I7QYInnVokJhdeWzod_8m3xYLQsLIOLMuUWgrSj5ZrvzHbJMRcX6DCnZmWSyiAdU

My shamblemen devour their eyes. There will be no witnesses until we attack at dawn.

Because this isn’t a war anymore. This is an extermination. Pest control on a national scale.

Everything, elf or beast, is put to death. Only to rise again to serve me.

The only strange thing is that this camp flies Einsagger banners, but I don’t see any indication of their mage, Oceansong. I have a magical mouthfeel of the undead at my command. I suspect this to be an entire quarter of the whole Tuathak army. I’d attack another camp at night, but it’s nearly dawn.

I clothe my warriors in bronze, ripping apart those with mutilated bodies and stitching together a coherent, almost life-like cohort from whatever remains until they could pass as living people if you pinch your nose. Some I send into the countryside to destroy any Tuathak in the area. The rest I have gather up the Einsagger supplies and march back to deliver them to Ishera and Talaran.

We get back in time to be the first to form up for battle in the morning alongside the survivors of our original army. I worry the thinly disguised ruse will collapse the moment battle is truly given.

Only to find that the Tuathak armies are smaller than they should be. Even accounting for those I killed in secret and the Tuathak corpses I’ve raised put behind masks, my army suddenly overwhelmingly outnumbers the enemy.

We stand off in the ruined fields outside Raithtall. Our banners fly high. Across the muddy landscape fly the flags of Galhan Oakgardner, not Oceansong or even the local king but the prince of Raithtall.

Galhan Oakgardner’s flute calls suddenly for a retreat, and they break.

crkx9stVcy0cl01Z6Z-bj71M3mxuNwIeoISLuQywQipyLmZSAb4FB_YXLEhJMkRlP1lKEKFL-HNF7NihUd6L3e2HvOulFelzfPh3v9lLf74FEQ69P73fGCBS9UYy8nvnL2KO3zyKku4pXqgoyHNhOh4

Oceansong is reported to have fled with the majority of their army.

The truth becomes clear and muddy as we investigate. Only a fraction of the Tuathak army was here in the morning. If we had the numbers we should have after the first day, they would have likely been able to win. At least to their thinking.

Instead, we faced what amounted to a rear guard force with an army equal in size to when we began. They had thought to leave the clean-up to Galhan Oakgardner, prince of Raithtall. When he realized we weren’t mere survivors, he ordered a retreat rather than face annihilation.

So what the hell happened? Where were the commanders and armies of yesterday?

I have Ishera work with the mages to look into it.

Talaran is still broken, unable to fight anymore. But he insists someone help him onto a horse and we press this miracle advantage while we have it.

j9a1X206HfBla99nfmSOwzjqE2xw1vTn9ul6OxfdDan-HmWJckRR7zIC4pdEHxxK-W6m2EWgEwBiqqS-lh_cl72we0-WH_51AubOfbiBLaTNembfbX6aUaqcfGsnDvmeZFoFSEXGRuoOWgx8Tuxy1a4

I send much of the undead to secure the Raithtall countryside and clear up supply lines. Living reinforcements and freshly drafted warriors begin to recoup our losses as I quietly push the undead to less visible positions.

The dead do not march like the living. You might miss it in the dark of night. The sun betrays the truth. A normal army moves with some irregularity, thousands of individuals trying to act as one. The undead, under the control of a singular mind, all move as one. I can’t find the power to fake it any better at the moment.

When one corpse steps forwards, they all do. When it swings its arm to walk, so do they all. It’s looking at a mirror of yourself while reflected in another mirror: an endlessly repeated hall of the same person, the same actions.

My undead support in the back, clearing out the countryside of resistance and moving onto the poorly defended city of Cladaidh, while my larger living force moves to the fortress city of Malcadh. I don’t believe for a moment I’ve fooled everyone, but those who suspect what I’ve done keep it to themselves for the sake of the war.

Ishera reports back to me as we’re bringing siege to Malcadth. “It’s the Peitar,” she says, eyeing my very alive bodyguard as if she suspects something off about them.

Zmx_mXMWor-1i8D_zZFYbnFh0SkkxczYW-YjNgc0LHh3bB-gCnPiVzzj-syjUFcfKeqaR1_qC6-FkP3p0lnSI1rLaMQgCpCXzwY5AVlm4aOUBl1Dtzntf3hRlbRxoyVQFYT-nzkHaXKO8W9STefbJQE

[You killstealing fucks! My conquest. MINE!]

Nuzzled at the edges of the Domandrod Feywilds and bordering the Tuathak realms, the kingdom of Iadth stands. They’re Peitar elves. Eordellons, even.

Before we launched the Everfrost Crusade, Talaran and I had accounted for the possible interference of the Peitar. Like they had against King Harvestcrown decades ago, we thought they might attack me to preserve balance.

Instead, the king of Iadath has decided that our invasion was the perfect opportunity to launch an attack of his own. Ishera suspects they’re attempting to take the Einsagger coast. Oceansong, thinking he had defeated us, had taken the bulk of his army to save his homeland.

Oceansong’s arrogance had cost him.

But it also puts us on a timetable. We need to defeat all of Autumn and lay claim to their lands before the Peitar do. They have friends to the south. I have my worries about being able to maintain this offensive, this momentum, that far to the south while maintaining our supply lines.

I need to do this quickly.

FKxDn8rc-8fO2o7LwY-p3o5zlarRhbz_891fy9M22nfjri_dw3QhS9KEF4F96QQWtrBjUGSidVihvtagz8gSxr4wjxGDnCdoUS-16W3Jz2bpUERp77oZ3ha3YNBbZoiq48CtL0AscIa2PKW-FqV7Zq4

Sunder the ground itself!

Talaran is recovering quickly. Ishera had done good work treating him, despite everything.

I still refuse to allow him to fight. And he continues to fret about losing his original officer’s flute and the shame and dishonor of it. I’m only too glad he’s still alive.

I don’t know what I’d do if I lost him or Ishera. Both for entirely practical reasons and…

It’s like Ewan and the Boar King. Sometimes, for those you trusted and relied most upon, you needed to wear your heart on the outside.

The deeper we march into the Tuathak homeland, however, the more my thoughts wander. I grew up in tense woodlands and cold swamps. The Winter Court is a harsh land with harsh Fey. Farming is hard, and most Snecboth made their lives migrating from hunting ground to gathering ground for countless years. We embraced Winter because it was all we really knew, the ever present cold kept at bay only by sharing your fire with those you cared for.

This is nothing like that.

There are forests, yes, but they feel so tame and walkable. The land is covered in farms and populous settlements. Anywhere my army stops to rest, we can forage for supplies and end up stuffed with surplus. To say nothing of the constant granaries and silos we find and loot to keep ourselves supplied.

It’s a land of milk and honey.

The Tuathak have everything they could have ever wanted: fresh water, food, fat animals, well-traveled roads, land to settle. Even the air here is warm and mild. But despite that all, they looked to the north, at my people, and grew angry. They still embarked on a crusade to exterminate a people who had nothing.

The thoughts simmer in my head.

And when we reach the Ennsagger capital, with their war wizard nowhere in sight, I let those feelings explode. I hold nothing back against these monsters.

ce1PAa9EUJF2uGQXvbxhhJZS2qKWs4kl1m7B6OKLlbwI9eylE9WysNcBNoa9VJuVq7-MT4zFPwfpeKjlLYD13-n1cu2xeyCIh0hgII_1hiW8wtukLMf9A_w9_yQhf5ck804Q1GFbyFkefNuY0m_77Mo

I bring the full fury of winter upon Einnsag’s seat of government.

We dig deeply, our forces now almost entirely made up of living Snecboth. My forces have grown used to taking treacherous fortifications, especially with the aid of spellcraft.

I hope to find Oceansong cowering inside when we storm the gates. Or even Jhorgas, so I can rub his face in the fact that I ordered the destruction of his people from his own desk. Those bastards must pay for what they’ve done. They and all their greedy, monstrous kind.

P8lnmK9N92Z2VM-hJwlGO8dkjPd34rP51xxYz36kFQUdZlcctZwx-NpyEQXn-8qftof2Pmh_rpo2hASTqr5m6orRFFuhxwTVsIQCBdVx54JJfeajd9AgjFmI3oufkEllYV3k3WxVgIVNS-l2UFPmj4o

With fire and ice the great walls fall.

We find the city mostly empty. Well, of anyone we care about.

Jhorgas isn’t here. Nor is Oceansong, though most of his ministers and senior leadership are. We pillage the city, taking its wealth and putting its upper classes to the sword.

Talaran, able to walk now at least, takes a detachment to pilfer their libraries for any tomes of magical knowledge. Ishera goes over the lists of what we’ve taken and reports on the last of the Tuathak armies, hiding to our north.

I leave a garrison to hold the capital in case of further Peitar aggression, and move to finally finish this war.

zpgudaTVTXE3rV1v3k5lYTT3qQy3eu66Hqf240RgnOJrNwjLU8sOFt32cwZ3SkHmJPBek4TJM2mp8kQejPxqOBj6k4zAmfpDNJ5NrRz79ObetX4I9f6vdnCnNW4I2eNRVv7RfI42apTvzkPmlttMbjo

Slaughter, pure and simple.

What’s left of the Tuathak armies still lack their mage Oceansong.

Apparently, when the Peitar invaded Einnsag, Sglard and Raithtall had declined to even send token support to their ally. Einnsagg had faced the invasion alone.

It was the price of disunity. This is what would have happened to the Snecboth if I hadn’t slaughtered the kings of Gelcolle and Reocrab: this lack of unity had cost them. Einnsag had abandoned their allies when they were on the cusp of victory.

And for that, they were all defeated.

It’s a sobering reminder that, no matter how I might feel, everything I have done has been the correct course of action. Everywhere I go I see the results of those who haven’t learned what I have.

In every way that matters, the war is over.

AlVsRA3-7TFjrzVJsLF-xWiaKP7GiMzCekFC0QX9H6ro6ZIBkKRrcPKq_v4xe5cwqx_OdryX9fJi5s16FhTCUIMS_ND0czlSlaJBfgO48XBc-VwESPzAViGUPXGb94KzRKNlsIyhCZwLhIK94r_j3Cw

With just one snag: Oceansong

Ishera finally brings reports of Oceansong. His allies and armies defeated on land, he has retreated to continue the fight alone from the eponymous island of Einnsag.

I would go and finish my crusade, but the Tuathak navy still controls the seas. For the time being, I can do nothing but enact my vengeance on land to all of his next of kin.

Autumn turns to winter.

y_Nnz0TrHrYqiI4sKGHAH-mPMEi76Appv2r2BoILswV44QzvLLQ9uW_efuEPnSzKNubct4QSTlDWgv1gFEb_Kjc4C1jbjmDXU1o4v_r1tr7SO9WZnumVZYxcmyXhvGsBAAHz3shM36BjeuwR44E8qIs

And whatever’s left of the Tuathak surrender.

It’s done.

It’s over.

Save for a little mop-up of whatever’s left, Autumn’s army is destroyed. Their cities razed. Their shrines polluted.

Their nations have been defeated in every way which really matters. Whatever remains of King Harvestcrown’s empire and his great war machine lays trampled beneath the boots of those he tried to exterminate.

DLJGhR5TVWTOETTOwnll0LUXrDv7mo8GSChnKu5xVyvGH22JmL7oETwqXX3tCSuVxkwRB9OeydWbh6LargTS3B95FF5VEYXxwDCklaReg0ZSNHETWcmDFmnOiYhvpo2l7fZ29TuYSXxpLDcBaDDlkEc

And forty-four thousand elves lie dead.

Winning the war is one thing.

What matters is winning the peace.

gATQWsIJPzWDpyLjY2hqTGkC6ZjbG0KqBOTIaGi_KO53aY0mG-Vlm_Q94t9FIyxfz7ygbb5j3azAh6h05j1NzvR9w-crfrV2IJ4lsoWnIHKAJjWcYyFRNrI3dF5oaXa2Pb0fQOk11FAbMeFCT6MrwWE

[This is the unsexy side of rampant expansion: the effort it takes to incorporate new land into your overextended empire, and the fact that the peasants are always one bad day away from a revolution because you keep drafting them. In effect, you can only conquer in little leaps, or risk the administrative burden collapsing your entire nation.]

Ishera draws up lists.

Talaran continues to heal.

Tuathak refugees continue the fight from hidden cells on the island of Einnsagg and under the control of the Peitar. Autumn has ceased to exist as any significant force left in Eordand.

The war is over.

But there is much to be done yet to complete my deal with the Everfrost Prince.

L5Vr1pExEnefcYm40wSXlmqu8tDD08X4NtQEHj_iw_uXF_NI5LDwwp6o9udXULVb4hCuJDwIb0GhydVNn_wF6LTK4Gf_UFYW88rnLF2XpMmYkMoKXgsO3jV1OLBd5wn6RMDXUY5MoDGOeL5Rx1HT7Kc

Then it’ll be over. And Ishera can finally count the stars in the sky.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The war is won... and how much the Snecboth benefit from that? Will there be revenge on the attempted vultures? Will Immarel ever become peaceful? And, if not... what has she truly won for her people? Certainly not life.

Also, being called a god must be doing wonders for Immarel's ego.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The war is won... and how much the Snecboth benefit from that? Will there be revenge on the attempted vultures? Will Immarel ever become peaceful? And, if not... what has she truly won for her people? Certainly not life.

Also, being called a god must be doing wonders for Immarel's ego.
Benefit?

No, this is just personal for Immarel and a few others at this point.

Interestingly, Immarel as a "god" is a theme of the later mission tree. The Eordan don't really have god gods, insteady paying homage to the fey. And the thought that Immarel eventually takes on the role of a deity-like figure to her people is something that rattles around in her hamster brain for a while: able to grant boons or destroy people on capricious whims. She keeps dwelling on the idea and concept that while she isn't a real god, it's basically just a formality she might as well be one for all her power and ability over her snow elves.

"Winter has come for the Tuathak"

I wonder how Immarel will deal with the spring and summer courts, considering they don't seem to have done much against her people.
I can imagine her rationalizing that since they didn't do anything in the Hibernal Crusade, they are indirectly responsible for the near extermination of her people.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how our little maniac elf Elsa will turn out.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"Winter has come for the Tuathak"

I wonder how Immarel will deal with the spring and summer courts, considering they don't seem to have done much against her people.
I can imagine her rationalizing that since they didn't do anything in the Hibernal Crusade, they are indirectly responsible for the near extermination of her people.
Spring Courts are only as relevant as needed for our MT so far. I'm actually sticking very close to the missions. The Summer Court, however, is a slightly different beast. Mostly because, as you'll see in the next chapter, I poke around in diplomacy and see some weird shit, and decide to just try to use that for my story ends.
Anyway, I'm curious to see how our little maniac elf Elsa will turn out.
The downward spiral never ends!

Chapter 7: Due Vendetta
Chapter 7: Due Vendetta

Malpadh is a wretched city for entirely mundane reasons. Once, it had been Einnsag's administrative capital located alongside the western coast of Eordand. Then it was a ruin I'd created through the ravaging storm of magic required to take it.

Now it's the furthest extent of the Snecboth people, home to our largest concentration of military force. Where young snow elves are sent to complete their tours of service, protecting our borders, rooting out Tuathak resistance, and gearing up for the end of our great struggle.

Most importantly, it's a hot, wet place where my clothes stick uncomfortably to my skin. I hate it. No wonder the Tuathak were so quick to anger and to invade the north. If I lived here I'd want to escape at the first possible chance, too.

I cast frost spells about myself, abusing my connection with the Fey for simple climate control.

Traders from the far south show up. They're Caamasi elves from the Summer Court where it's even hotter. I'm no fan of them, but they're not Tuathak, and I'm willing to be civil. The woman with skin like the setting sun captaining the merchant ship dresses so immodestly I ask Ishera to negotiate with her on my behalf. She stares at me in horror before nervously nodding.

0z8QxZ8vj49S7lb9XhBZx2q0wzdJuxMqpK4eRUWbV5dY8-kyYZqUe1Jq3tgh908d9jJhuma9BrKt0JJnZlHIr_Ct7T6aPa7pltu0PKKujCjqN1hd6fDhEIPCE20oMud39gLmBpr-TDbvqLKzycaQXq8

I hold court in the wrecked fortification that was once Einnsag's seat of government. The roof and walls are full of holes, and Taigan Order members busy themselves turning this place into our local administrative center.

Well, I say the Taigan Order. That’s the official story. Truth is, as more living elves have come to support the army, I’ve gradually been phasing out the undead raised at Raithtall to more menial tasks under the guidance of the Order. More and more rot away and crumble without me reinforcing them with a constant flow of magic, but at the moment the masked corpses are good at cleaning rubble and clearing roads and staying out of the public eye.

Captain Talaran, covered in clean bandages beneath his armor, refuses to sit. I worry he's going to hurt himself further. He leans against the table, holding his sword. One eye remains injured and hides beneath an eye patch.

Ishera, meanwhile, sits across from me alongside her new bottle of sweet southern alcohol. The same wine she’d brought to my office before we set off on the Everfrost Crusade.

We set out an agenda of pacifying the countryside, cleaning up the roads, and what to do about the defiant mage Oceansong on the island of Einnsag. Ishera is quite happy to make connections with the local Tuathak who might agree to support us. Then there is, of course, the task the Everfrost Prince asked of me to do with the Precursor relics throughout the newly conquered territory.

Wd44EbxKjKagoY5d5Ew0B1PKIqcctaTWF9utNz_dv52VX5kUT3FQZNwTht9bpxiCi_4rDIZFH2KcCdqZDaOKfXN-tT-blTFxoWdxj89aBozZ4Tj67gO8YToc9OsdmC-2uQJYgyAgJQk9WJxKtltmPCE

[In the later years of Anbennar, the value of Prescursor Relics jumps up massively. These relics, alongside coal, are key to the science of artificery: melding industry with magic. Eordand has an unusual amount of these relics. It makes the region extremely attractive to technologically advanced human colonizers to help jumpstart their industry.]​

The mysterious and Fey-cursed relics of the Precursor Elves are all around us in Eordand. Our ancestors were as powerful as they are unknowable. There are numerous archeological dig sites where we pull out their trinkets from buried towns and old walls.

The Everfrost Prince isn’t from this world, not exactly. In his unfathomable age, he still understands the resources of the old world that was before the Doom of the Elves. He requested their use in the construction of something back in Gemradcurt city itself. The Frostspear, he’d called it and helped me with its plans.

With Harvestcrown’s realms mostly subsumed, we can task workers to make use of the relics towards a design of the Archfey’s own making.

_yfBpUaCk-2vidO7BlDnkRqBUdQYlVetJmJqNYTo_i_vu5CC8Qm1cvKkqhzUVR84S--vLqrNqiJwNgOU5WkrHklvQp3Xdcbw4KiJXWy_R5RKCMUzYTndH9kEvbbqUB66wzuYF-TsNf3GUIikDB-zku4

Frostspear. Sometimes I worry about how ominous we’re naming things, but also it’s awesome so I allow it.

Ishera seems confused why I’m insistent on this project, and I can’t entirely articulate my reasoning without sounding megalomaniacal. The Everfrost Prince may be Winter’s patron Archfey, but I have to keep that close to my chest. I just ask Ishera to trust me like she always has and tell myself I’ll explain it all to her one day.

It all rings hollow, but she accepts it and gets to work.

As we’re about to finish the work in Malpadh so we can set off back to Gemradcurt and oversee the new Frostspear, Ishera clears her throat.

“There was one last matter, my Lady,” she says. “A guest from the Summer Court who wishes an audience.”

I cock an ear. “Are they present?”

“She is,” the ill-dressed Caamasi woman from the merchant vessel says, entering the room. “Sorry, waiting for a dramatic moment, Lady Immarel. I came from Bagcatir with the blessing of our duly elected leader to attempt to meet with you. I think you’ll find our offer apt to deliver us both from the shoal of paupers to the shore of profit.”

DnvuG2S1W_IRx3wwr0Y3bp0n0zjttgoXCeJFyf0dw_Y0T8cp_w1udtx5S5WV0pHk-dFeUhbKbYFXsAWdMxBXThPYp2GLtoVns-Fe1YqTvm87V_x4bFX5dm8-KagWZaki6T75yd_xvvX03kX_C37V12c

They want a… what?
[This is actually a legitimate surprise to me after all the chaos and destruction I’ve been bringing. The game claims they like me because I “improved diplomatic relations” with them, but I did no such thing. But, sure, I’ll take it.]

Bagcatir is government called a “Cobarl”: there, elves of riches are able to compete to be elected by their equally wealthy peers to advance the interests of the moneyed elite. Oceangoers and merchants by nature, the elves of Bagcatir are exactly the type of people I’ve been fighting inside my own nation to keep power and allow everything to actually function.

The Tuathak were warriors, but the Caamasi are elves of money. That potentially makes them more dangerous. Coin is far more bloodsoaked than the sword could ever be.

But if it helps us normalize trade and relations with the south, I’m willing to help enrich both parties for the moment. At least Bagcatir is smart enough to see where the winds are blowing, and whose side to be on in the coming days.

“Besides,” the Caamasi diplomat says, examining her nails, her ears casually relaxed. “We have a fleet and you do not. It’s an expensive thing, you understand. Sailors need food and supplies and ample pay, but surely there’s something from the vast lands of Gemradcurt you can use to help us out, correct?”

I understand what she means. For the right price, Bagcatir has the tools we need to finally take Einnsag.

This considerably accelerates our timetables. It’s so perfect I almost wonder if the Everfrost Prince set this up himself.

I agree to the Caamasi deal.

bOE9IHcsdbFuaxzVoxXU_jbdMvoPJMZmFAIaK8dJpX7OOkFiKqijiX7rAGPlqVGuGVp0g1W_B_kot5VZsS3AQu9dtQaYXoXrlWfVekOiPwdZV0AGTw6kj_fiJPGebD2j-iwoM60IvYthP_XtbQ-FOb0

[We literally have no vision of the wider world and have no idea what’s going on outside Eordand. Big Dartaxâgerdim warms my soul, though.]

Galhan Oakgardner is the son of the old king of Raithtall. Alongside the mage Oceansong on Einsagg, he represents the last icons of Tuathak resistance. I had intended to slowly root them out as the seasons changed, but with the mercenary fleet of Bagcatir I can do that now.

Our armies are already in position. And what’s more, rebel cells in the more lax Iadth have distracted their armies. Tuathak rebels inspired by Oceansong and Oakgardner have been allowed to go wild.

Should they succeed, they’ll certainly spiral out of control and destabilize our tenuous hold over the lands of Autumn.

With the tools suddenly at my fingertips, the choice is obvious.

“How quickly can we put our armies back on the march and head south?” I ask.

Talaran considers, his torn ear giving him a ponderous air of asymmetry. “Faster than fools can die, my Lady.”

“It’s really never over, is it?” Ishera asks, gesturing for agreement.

“Not until it is,” Talaran says, grabbing his sword. “Will following orders be a problem for you, Ishera?”

She gestures for scorn. “Don’t insult me, Tally-boy.”

KUb7834J8F-QqjDeSmQwGKwMrs0tthtmNJVHbc_3hLxwPoSRkuUfFgD7IqX0zHDqHp_5sOKXDSZ9qDFz3IaFtHIprNbKS53R9mmLPioIgG2uxtkmrM_x8wLfRVMGRz5NNiXWj-r8ngd9i4QfKbxssHk

We will complete the Everfrost Crusade.
[Also due to Eordand events, some Tuathak in Iadth have converted to our religion. Very tasty targets to “liberate.”]

As Talaran marshals my forces and gets logistics in place for a surprise attack, I spend several nights studying the troves of Malpadh’s library, poring over any magical texts. I’m not even through putting the theory into practice before my escort is ready to leave for Iadth.

I continue to study from the back of a horse.

9DWjHyf4bZWpkDgwloOmePJO-PF2prqI9F8Twz8Tpgm6B0UBLLn5sXrxdcRGqLPCE6BruaEeeJ-lE55Notzda27utKMk9HcL8GVxXqU73_-VtLGFF90fYhNCN9oR0iKa7tkR4zmxiGYx7n-IQmTEyhY

[Lo-fi magical study girl, my beloved]

On the road through the countryside, we make rest in various local regional capitals. In the heartland of Autumn, most people are ethnic Tuathak elves of course. But the Snecboth used to be migratory. Sometimes you can still find little tribes or clans in the land that King Harvestcrown didn’t send to the rope.

The old nomadic ways of the Snecboth are why they hated us. They viewed us as trespassers and blamed us for any misfortune that happened when bad winter winds made it even mildly inconvenient for them.

I don’t care for the Tuathak. I make no secret of this. But unlike their sparsely colonized settlements like Jhorgashirr, I can’t simply throw them out anymore. Even putting to death their upper classes barely did anything but cement my control. They are the majority here. Ishera is convinced they can be made to serve as good citizens eventually, even working with some of them as a proof of concept, but I have my doubts.

As I’m contemplating how to, at the very least, destroy the Autumn Court’s interpretation of the Fey faith, Ishera stops me and points to a Tuathak woman begging along the town’s street. Dressed in rags and terribly thin, I wonder if she was always like this or if it’s because of my invasion.

Talaran reaches for his sword, but Ishera gestures for pardon and stops him.

“They’re our people now, in a way,” she says. “I know we’re here to destroy their nations, but everyone else? They’re just people, my Lady.”

Talaran grunts with displeasure.

Ishera continues. “A gesture of some mercy would be symbolic. It would be good for the nation.”

I tighten my lips. Her ideas of mercy had been a problem before. We exiled the Tuathak from our lands, and they returned to fight us when we launched this crusade. Even now, Tuathak survivors and rebels are our official reason for going to war with the local Peitar: they can’t handle upstart Tuathak, so we’re going to finish the problem once and for all.

I eye the beggar and notice the rather interesting amulet she’s wearing.

Then I look at Ishera again, her ears downcast. I take a breath and let her have this one.

W0vQCqecxZVB5eAVyfuUk7ERIMibGLfZaqepJpgKZlEOdxoehevV2DHKxUAft2Hlili-VYwi3cTEgWoIYLXREUKLWqcHTaLeKZdGO2gWMRucLlnPAwm20Qwx45rqjCfaTTby4Iw1hUIPDLt0Q3tSewg

I am a generous Lady, unlike those previous masters of the land. Charity is the least I can do for my people.

I continue to read the texts from the pillaged library, practicing the spells, gestures, and incantations from the scrolls. It’s remarkably easy to focus on on the road through our former enemy’s territory.

My shamblemen have cleared most of the road, eliminating bandits, raiders, and Tuathak remnants. Crime and subversion are plummeting to new lows. Once the chaos of the invasion subsides, people will be safer than they were under the feuding Tuathak kings.

For the moment, the signs of war still litter the countryside. Sometimes it’s Tuathak digging graves for their fallen brothers. Sometimes it’s a burnt village. Sometimes, it’s just an old gallows where Tuathak nobles hang and make a feast for the changeling birds. It’s familiar. It’s like what I grew up with, but in reverse.

Talaran’s ears level as he sucks distastefully on his lips. “I don’t remember coming through here and doing this. I don’t think we came this close to the border of Iadth before.”

I shake my head. “Nor I. But it was a long campaign, and our army spread out.”

He sits up a little more stiffly on his horse. “Ain’t that the way of a sovereign, my lady. Men kill with their hands, warriors with swords, commanders with their flutes. You don’t even need to twitch a muscle for a hundred to die.”

“It’s like we’ve lost accountability of ourselves,” Ishera says quietly from beside me. “We’ve outsourced obliteration so thoroughly that sometimes they die without us even knowing. We’ve made laws that act for us with people doing what they feel is right in your name, my lady. But I don’t know what else we can do. We can’t be everywhere at once to deliver judgment, y’know? Not anymore. It’s horrible.”

“No,” Talaran says soberly. “It’s sublime.”

And we finally cross the border into Iadth.

9i_ktg1oRjQ3eKooCBep7CtEuYl13nT5XfXtWhOJAXSB-VZbu3BHZ2CDDnitwWOLeuPKlgBMuFaSbWcR3t9lb8CusxUgBQZj5iR59YRp9rRmZg8CF7zkbblXT9822_8sGgflvFCzvVJCGi1WUHNBsQE

Three nations stand against us, for what little it’s worth.

In earlier times, I might have fretted more. Obsessed more over details and plans to make sure this went off perfectly.

The kingdom of Iadth doesn’t fight alone. Their allies from Arakeprun are merely a fairy’s laugh away.

Arakeprun holds to the Spring Court, who have hitherto been of no concern to me. Their eponymous capital city is supposed to be the largest city in all Eordand, a hub of trading and workshops. The pride of Spring itself.

Captain Talaran is confident that between my war magics and our overwhelming numbers and discipline we have nothing to fear so long as we keep our noses to the forest path and don’t get too cocky.

jWbWjCLltzcOfeztIkjVgsDE-uK-9CeF1Bbz4kaC_F9G-99aFG9GdJ5bKSDEsj5ddRV1B2P4mjFZPVYcLwB7TdPYWe2hQihjLsPBoRDB8a6sIvMKE9Fains61iTgi5dl3YShgXqQdZpPS1SH8b0KQWU

Iadth had spent its entire armies taking Einnsag’s coast, and then wore itself down to the nub trying to defeat rebels led by Oceansong and Oakgardner.

When we invaded, we didn’t find the Peitar’s once noble army of balance.

We found battered, depleted forces. The Tuathak leaders retreated, burning the countryside, and vanished. Survivors linger to hamper us and we cut them down with bronze and ice.

Iadth isn’t able to put up a fight.

And soon we take the fight to the great city of Arakeprun itself.

yJggU6tnSjdwmdHehF0mI3SPWx4qRqDxeiYLPw_Wf9HTazFvW9tTolNglDso4d_9ovH9CFOiBjrUh1zo-A0sla84ZA9v_zWdoy-0cR--zcVjvJ--6WyqhK68uHozRWqsgtg2lVv4eSKoTXSHsFU1mIk

Its walls barely offer any resistance to an army veteran to all the woes and tricks of siege warfare.

It’s almost too easy. Trivial.

I feel robbed of any sense of great victory.

w9fgpkfKR9-viLtXz4_7mzxYGhGoo5G935s9IPGIP8VbtWsfj1ylOwBwnwXuSX0FNIRRAiB434lXrVPlqQBrzyMF1EqHNSAcmG-3r0paJP8Wn80ihg5UEYn-pW5ptVpLl_3HbTGEz_1WmiReXY_NtPQ

The gem of Eordand lies in my hands.

Arakeprun is nothing like I’d imagined it. As a little girl, I heard stories of its size and wealth. Its great shipyard and famed bazaars where, if you were shrewd, you could find goods from beyond the mapped ken of the known world.

When I set out to rebuild Gemradcurt, I had taken inspiration from the legends.

Instead, I find it an impoverished city. It’s smaller than Gemradcurt or Marathmas up north. The only thing impressive about it is the neatly compacted, rather vertical architecture of stone and wood. It was the heart of Spring itself, a beacon of power.

Now it’s overrun with starving people and far too many Tuathak refugees.

We break down the walls with ease. When the Tuathak inside take up arms, screaming about Harvestcrown and “in the name of Oceansong,” we bar the gates to those districts and shoot down at them from the walls. The dead are burned, and we loot everything of value from blood-soaked streets.

In my opinion, we left it only a little worse for wear than when we found it.

I come across Ishera and Talaran facing off against each other in one of Arakeprun’s boroughs.

“Stay your hand, Captain,” Ishera hisses, gesturing for scorn. Her ears are up and alert. Behind her are members of the Taigan Order, looking uncomfortable as they stand between Ishera and greenish-skinned Selpheregi locals with hair full of local flowers.

Talaran, his ruined ear cocked, stands before her with his own soldiers. Hand on the hilt of his sword. He looks past Ishera with mild annoyance. “We know this household was providing aid to Oceansong sympathizers living in the city. Stand aside, Captain.”

“I’ll do no such damn thing, Tally-boy. These people are Selpheregi. They are not our enemy.”

Talaran takes a heavy step towards her, towering bodily above Ishera. “Spoken with the tender-heart of a coward. What do you propose we do to those who show kindness to our enemies?”

“We be better than them,” she says. “We show why we are right, and they are wrong, and we don’t become the monsters we fight to destroy.”

“Oh, please,” he says, annoyed, tired. “You don’t really believe your own fairyshit after everything you’ve helped us do?”

“This is different. These people aren’t our real enemies. The Tuathak kings and warlords who stole our parents are. Not the people.”

“Smoke lingers in the lungs of all who smelt bronze. You don’t get to pretend you’re better than me just because when you feed the Rat Catcher you sometimes pull someone from his hands.” He leans in towards her, teeth grit. “Lady Immarel isn’t here to indulge you, girl.”

Fuck you,” she spits.

His hand tightens on his sword-hilt.

Ishera snaps her fingers and her breath mists. Ice crystallizes around her hand. The soldiers around them both brace for something bad. Hiding in the background, I reach for something to stop them as my heart picks up pace.

“Go ahead. Try. C’mon. Let’s go, Tally-boy. I dare you,” she says with a mad little laugh. “I might not be as strong as Lady Immarel, but I can still tear your face off with a flick of the wrist. I saved your life once, for her. Don’t make me undo all that effort.”

Talaran stares her down. I count the beats of my heart, feeling the volume of blood moving through all of my veins.

Until he turns his head to spit on the pavement. His eyes meet mine, and all he does is shake his head.

He leaves Ishera to whatever she was trying to do.

I retreat to my war tent in silence.

We march from Arakeprun the next morning.

AJl7kkxrCUdDUBIpkPmB_ju2Vwxh3dURElMg4v4PqePm7oWprFbBY3OzJO4qBOWB-GAuhj85aeGkuiiiwmZBFoZ5Js0O0jtoAUIcWEYFwIemuW2nv8rCMtsHVwD7jy3NHBcZCSCgaEjizZdT2w4KYpw

The armies of Iadth and Arakeprun are shattered from the disciplined army of Winter. Not even the paltry war magics of Arekeprun’s famed war wizard can stop us.

They are no Oceansong. They’re no Jhorgas.

The lands of Autumn and the crown of Spring lay beneath my boot.

Which is when Bagcatir’s contract navy arrives at the docks of Arakeprun city itself. A tall elf from their merchant class, his face like stone, oversees loading up our soldiers onto the fleet.

Ishera watches it all from the city’s ruined shipyards, eyes to the setting sun and the ocean beyond. Just staring over the horizon to where Einnsag island and Oceansong’s last bastion is.

“Hey,” I say softly, standing next to her.

Her hands are clasped together over her waist. She barely reacts to me at all. Just a quirk of the lips halfway between an aborted smile and baring her canines.

“This is it,” she says softly, ears level. I smell traces of alcohol on her breath.

“Yeah.”

Ishera nods. “One last fight, Immie. One last war. One last battle. And then it’ll all be over. Maybe we can go back to the old ways. Peaceful, and not a race of conquerors.”

“Yes.”

She inclines her head towards me, her long white hair spilling over her shoulders. In the sunset her pale skin is almost orange. “Promise me.”

I hesitate.

“Immie, please,” she whispers. “Promise me this is it. This is the end. Once our enemies are defeated, we can all go home. We can enjoy everything we’ve worked for. We can finally be people.”

“We are people, Ishera,” I say. “Maybe the only ones who really matter.”

Ishera laughs mirthlessly. “I don’t think so. People get to live. They have homes and friends. They find hobbies and things to make them happy. They get married and have families.” She looks at me seriously. “Have you ever been in love, Immie?”

I shake my head and quietly say, “No.”

She takes a long, almost shuddering breath. Her fists tighten. Makes a noise somewhere between a stillborn laugh and a scoff.

I’m silent.

“One last war,” she says. “One final battle. And then it’s over. And maybe we can be people.”

We sail for Einnsagg.

S6DNO8NtAAEQxEWYEYemc7GT814HPibboxVBEjdpn1uB5Zd8Xe0f4KzSDpFD-lOBkeBLFsqzXN3MKpN8QnaWUc7wg0pelhggu2Gd93u-MIE5b-Cdmj_YFW3mD0BU4q5fYjNH0DWp4WZchbMOYsjTRCQ

Strutmar. Eighard. Jhorgashirr. Slegcal. Raithtall. Sglard. Iadth. Arakeprun. And now, finally, Einnsag.

Oceansong and the last of the Tuathak are fortified on the island, the harbor laden with defenses. Barricades bar the streets. Ballistae armed at every avenue we could land. Men and women armed to the teeth stand shoulder-to-shoulder to block our way into the city and into the heart of Einnsag.

There’s so much iron I half expect the island to topple over and sink at any moment.

I’ve never had good sea legs, but I stand at the front of the Bagcatiri ship all the same. I can taste the salt in the air, the frigid midwinter mistrals buffeting my dress. I can almost sense the Everfrost Prince’s hands on my shoulders, cold fingers pressing into my skin with fatherly pride.

I spread my arms wide and exhale pure cold and Feywild magic.

It starts as crystals. Then turns into blocks. Before becoming true ice.

And the island of Einnsag is surrounded by a frozen glacial sea.

Talaran hops over the side of the lead boat onto the ice, then plays his flute. A chorus answers him.

And the entire army disembarks and attacks the island over an ice-sheet that should not exist.

U4UDlkZx-G_vKXm2BGSqjbTwLGdOnx5RVyLRZ9oJph5Vq3BQ3f635ar5agliQTXNKig29od5Qrh-JGNh1yEGZu2_WFDUZ-YduYGleR8s5WojvMfH3Qs6qQIwc-YmqgEAhzX5ObbJRLArkh5V8ikQwZY

Justice.

Oceansong’s defenders can’t move through their own barricades to head us off when we came from an impossible direction. I break the walls with a colossal crashing glacier and we pour into the city’s liver.

Eight thousand of the last, most vicious, most desperate Tuathak stand against us.

Everything, man or beast, guilty or innocent, is cut down where they stand.

Until the blood clots in the gutters and the streets overflow with gore.

And the last children of Autumn’s crusade are brought to me in chains and rope in the heart of their last, greatest bastion.

skSUS6hHfbaCUD0eqnrgQYFBlKploKlFAO-G-_TA3_1xWSMNZQ2SB6tpD15-WxKe48MlHYXoF5LOZ1OnYiQGUF3itXvmim7Z8LLcTOiyu73kalmP5MuG0U_lkXhXfF8L6R3r3qkZjyxWg8Jm3IMQvtU

Victory.

For by what right would a witch who feeds on the blood of motherless boys have to whine about having her skull split?

I can feel Jhorgas’ words in the eyes of Tuathak’s once proud leaders as they are brought before me. Their hands bound, fingers broken, elbows shattered, and guts removed. The city is an abattoir. Everyone who stood against us, butchered without mercy.

But the city still stands. And anyone smart enough to hide inside and refuse to fight back remains alive. I can feel many of them watching from the corners and alleyways of this grand plaza, as I am surrounded on all sides by soldiers and my Taigan Order.

These heirs to Harvestcrown had fought so long against us. When we defeated them, they ran away to fight again. Prince Oakgardner of Raithtall is still missing, and I still don’t know what happened to Jhorgas, but everyone else who matters to their people is before me. The wizard Oceansong is barely able to rest on his torn knees, squinting just to focus on me through the blood loss.

It’s over in every way which truly matters.

I have won.

I have won.

It almost doesn’t feel real. Everything I’ve done, all I’ve worked towards for decades, coming down to this. Culminating in a grand symphony of frost and flame, and the last of the Tuathak on their knees where they belong.

Until Ishera pushes her way out of the soldiers.

8VGuHpZhGVnllgz8RnDr4-udn0hO7V61Q1ieQX1CvkfJhZLfqEEt_EVBBm022h80LHBKDL7BI8RfNR2xAClVnhA2yBMWoL_EGYlAZdJDkqCxxG9i9WkqbwZicuRm0ZmjUU2AKZOJBylSwEt-mB4p3C8

Doubt.

Talaran and his officers attempt to shout Ishera down. To call her a coward. A traitor. A shame upon the Snecboth people and all we’ve done.

I command their silence and let Ishera speak.

She talks about our enemies, the heirs to Harvestcrown. She speaks about the people we’ve shown mercy to. She gestures frantically about Tuathak who’ve helped us, like Dorndor years ago. She speaks about the reasons we’re fighting, not to become monsters, but to allow our children and their children to live in the calm peace of winter like our forefathers did.

She yells about everything worth fighting for, and why only we now have the power to make a difference anymore. This is our world now, and as Winter’s stewards we have a duty to be better than those who came before us.

When it’s done, her cheeks are flush with blood. Tears leak from her face and snot from her nose. She exhales hard and fast, her body shaking with effort.

“You promised me this would be it,” she says. “After today, it will finally be over. All of it could finally be okay. We kill and kill and kill so we can preserve the way of life we used to have, peaceful and safe, for our families and people. Remember how we fought for our old ways, the way our parents wanted us to live. Conserving that is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. The same hearths that used to keep us warm through the coldest winters. Think about it, and choose the better option. ”

She shakes her head. “Please.”

All eyes are on us.

I put a hand on her shoulder. “Ishera,” I say.

pSfo4FTcsHCxAfY55fcrqaoE_-qLNe8HgbK2JYEd2oa9UAzKHh8umX5QPdv3FcCQCXpHgih1EQroztm9Nk34TwmMH9J7w3zskxKHA4zcBLVjFOerXJ5nk3XT3SczKcq_oNP4PdMYJD-dGkBW3Bi4iWo

Fire.

I found Einnsag a city.

I leave it a charnel pit.

BnkYRn4h_gwJLZXh37lmd7xGjXfmHoP_JwNT6iQpZnrSD6Ado5iDrk4E_Idjp-TeG-btrpY2bn6Vx-Qr9maRGEmjleMdHA4AmjiQLhuNMlbrlyh4iRB8vQ3lP--dz9YoXX7UsJhUDVXLlOcwetWtdAc

Consolidation.

And it is done. It’s finally, finally over. Well and truly.

NAisy4C49133_YFB-56bJNorNH1ePd11nJ2Jov2LP7CLQ4ZM3pdSU-JcS5XvLPIQD_aqLAMeT39WBqSYhkgVxRdfgOFHr0FdJayS8St3V1nfliPQq3kZlYT88ES1OLLLmAITOKU-wU0pJstrMDJcD1A

The Everfrost Crusade comes to a close. Winter is finally safe.
[Not as much land as I could have taken, but my government capacity is nonexistent. I literally cannot administer this empire properly. The economy is on fire, send help.]

Now we can all finally go home.

I have a deal to uphold with the Everfrost Prince.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Using the undead for mundane tasks... and why not? Good idea...

That alliance with the Summer Court wasn't something I saw coming, but it should be useful...

Talaran and Ishera are at each other's throats. I hope that doesn't cause issues down the line...

Why do I feel like Ishera's hopes are in vain, and this doesn't mark the dawn of an age of peace?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 8: Gradually, Then All At Once
Chapter 8: Gradually, Then All At Once.

WTboWoivRn5aLGN_Y1Qfr6ujXVBPE5O4AYKut-uA2RMZFJ1yXrqJl7P0cvZwrupV4sg9Ek_6dou_YFV2pUze47niAf0CNSkiIoW8eeT25pVuSS7Wp7J0_REyasmdPkc5m4RvnKIg9X_2lJhmidO4-jg

The Frostspear Tower is massive.

It all started with suggestions from my Archfey patron. I drew up the plans with my architects before we launched the Everfrost Crusade. The mage tower, the heart of the Taigan Order and my entire administration, would just be the center.

We cleared land. We made space. We had to invent new styles of buttress and support structure to hold it up.

While I was on campaign, we looted the riches of the Tuathak and Arakeprun to fund and support the project. My undead grabbed the specified Precursors relics and curios from their old ruins and took them back to Gemradcurt, and then worked to help build it.

The Frostspear Tower dwarfs the city, like a massive sundial. Even now, mostly scaffolding, there’s not an inch of the city of Gemradcurt it doesn’t eclipse at some hour of the day. Even as the city grows and grows and grows.

But it’s deep in the tower’s underbelly, in a massive vaulted room, where the true core of the project lies.

I find the Everfrost Prince there, staring into the magic-infused crystal mounted in supernaturally spinning Precursor rings of architecture.

Everything according to his specifications for what I’ll need it for.

1IpIVtz6LRmVU8abmFDNYgvhgo3hjeqgmaeZ9qmFQSX06Qv_yYxpsaJxCegmgEiaGokPVG7NrwU4qHxjz1SdtQ-EMvxI_RcIwIVySOzecpUgd9r_JTdPaBkikMFalSMqYHITlp9X3zH1PYSJrXAIQG0

“Eternal Power.” It still doesn’t sound real.

The Everfrost Prince describes it all with names and terminology I almost can’t understand. This Heart of Winter will be a “phylactery,” to house my soul and core of power. I understand the technical, magical aspects from my studies of dark magic, but end up getting lost when he discusses his own Fey influence. It’s all more grounded and practical then how he usually speaks.

I feel the need to take notes.

This will be bespoke via my influence. Alien to traditional eastern methods of those like Morgurax.

“Morgurax,” I say, trying to get my mouth around the foreign word. “Is he one of the people over the eastern mountains, where horses and bison are from? Do they traffic in this sort of spellcraft?”

The Everfrost Prince tilts his head in my direction like trying to hear me better, and I feel the need to step away from the gesture. He returns his icy eyes to the swirling magics of the Heart of Winter, as if searching it for answers.

I eagerly hold up my quill and notepad to record him.

No.

“Then who?”

The first to try to cut Nerat and see if he bleeds. Should you complete your final steps and safeguard your phylactery, you need not worry about Nerat or his Red Reapers.

I ball my fist over my quill. “Then I won’t. I just wonder, when I finally finish this, what it will feel like. How it will even truly happen to me.”

Gradually,” he says. “Then all at once.

I nod.

cQgIVH_bZfxMAaXA_rA5QYwWZJhpSCb5H-gVZlaMADF4b1_1XBNLuJ9PtZSCmeGF9KMCmJwKbmLYQuAVjfIipxScqrrGww1X16Cku5-P_09NE4WtcFYvMrJBX0T5o_UERtdS13i70_7HxKpWXhQn8WI

Interlude: Ishera Fasacminn

Ishera Fasacminn doesn’t know what time it is. She has suspicions. There’s a vague light in the sky that could be from the sun (Rising? Setting?). Then again, she can see the moon peeking through the clouds, with its telltale white-blue glow of magical Fey gems dotting its astral surface. She might know what time if not for the Frostspear blocking the sky and horizon both.

She hunkers down, knees to her chest, and lets the warmth wash over her. It complimented the heat in her stomach and cheeks. Sharing fire as a sign of love and friendship is as old a Snecboth tradition as ever there was. To offer it was to let someone live and eat; to deny your fire, you might as well kill someone out in the cold north.

That ancient tradition had become something else under Immarel. Ishera and her had planned great stone edifices, public hearths, to be built for the worst months of winter. Once the snow elves built their societies around communal fires, which is what these had been built to represent. These days, masked servants of the state provide the wood and Order mages the sparks, letting heat keep the heart of their cities alive and functional and working during the coldest few months.

Armored bootfalls approach Ishera. There’s so many people these days she almost doesn’t notice. Until the wearer stops beside her and says nothing.

Ishera rises to her full height, knees popping, and still isn’t even chest height to Captain Talaran. She remembers when she first met him, this big, strong man with boundless energy, first into a fight and the last to leave. Now, she can count the scars on his body like the stars she keeps telling herself she’ll count any day now: each one tells a story over two decades of service. Each one remembers a war or battle she and Immarel had sent Captain Talaran into, and the countless times Ishera had stitched the man’s disparate pieces together into a reasonable facsimile of a functioning person.

Some called him Stitchman now, like he was of the Fey, some emotionless creature of murder and death. A flesh-and-blood Rat Catcher.

She tightens her fur hood, gesturing for pardon. “I didn’t think you’d show, Talaran.”

His ruined ear cocks slightly as he regards her passively. “You are still Lady Immarel’s lieutenant, captain. Unless you’ve made good on your threats to retire.”

Ishera brushes a stray bang from her eyes. “Is it truly over, though? The fighting. The violence.”

“You’re the mage. You handle divination and spying,” he says. “You know the southern seasons are building a coalition to fight us.”

RgLe4gq2PPjs1OV1xTF0RSE-3VS6TNcf9otxjNyLIWADCYO09Y6Nc80u17xPKiczDdm0Ubv_FY7s6fJGMBvqxTA8Bfs5868Wi1QlIrDvmTvHzariIMrKBWXvVJgQHY0IHaBi-nzCYujbEJB-85HK1xU

[Dearest me, the tiny, pathetic nations I’m going to conquer have formed a united front to oppose me. Whatever shall I do?]

Ishera laughs bitterly, her tongue tasting of charred rawhide. “I know. It’ll never end. So I’m doing something to stop it as best I can.”

He looks at her dubiously. “If you have come to announce treason, I’m afraid I’m not terribly in the mood to play executioner.”

She can’t tell if he’s making fun of her or being serious; his impiety, his lack of gestures, makes him hard to read. He’s so blunt and calm it boggles her mind. So she gestures for pardon, for hope, trying not to get too defensive. “No, Talaran. Of course not. What I do is in the good name of our people.”

“Yes,” he says dryly, the hearthfire dancing in his blue eyes. “The same good name you blubbered about at Einnsag. Do you have any tears or snot still left in you?”

Ishera throws her wrist, bending her fingers to plead. “It was still the right thing to do, Talaran. I know how Lady Immarel feels; I’ve known her my whole life. But Einnsag was a mistake.”

He opens his palm and she thinks he’ll gesture. Instead, he just looks at scars. Those are from Arakeprun, these are from Raithtall, and that last one is from Gelcolle. “Not all acts of evil are foolish. And not all acts of good are wise, Ishera.”

She gestures for derision. “Since when have you been a philosopher, Stitchman?

Talaran sighs. “I’m surrounded by mages like you who won’t stop talking. You pick up on their lingo.”

Ishera sucks on her lips. “Let me try again: sometimes you find yourself covered in stains as deep as your soul from the roads you’ve walked. Your first instinct when you get indoors is to wash them off. But stains lose their meaning if you spend every night washing them out instead of learning how to avoid the puddles. I can’t undo the things I’ve helped and been party to. I can make sure they never happen again. That’s why I need your help. You handle war. I handle magic and administration. They intersect here. We can make a difference that matters.”

p85kbuajZCYRHhk3g7413-pP3XcNNPvX5kmUs_YgTKrh8cvMUt_9X4oAxiDTBh_6BinPo_1a5e6ZneEWb-b2CvD2Utu7aWAiMpn06TtxFgxl3lrOma6Bq4Pt75VtMUtfWZ1z4V2jwYobkeR6kOMYRNU

They were once our enemies, but if Ishera’s pen destroys their religion and disabuses them of their old ways, surely even they can serve as obedient citizens of Winter.

“How long have you been telling yourself this?” Talarn asks, looking up towards the Frostspear.

“Long enough.”

He frowns. “You’re cold, aren’t you?”

Without realizing it, Ishera tightens the hood of her fur cloak. “Maybe.”

“Do you know why this is, Ishera?”

“Winter.”

“You used to handle it so much better.”

Ishera scrunches her shoulders defensively as he turns towards her. She is in his shadow. He is in the Frostspear’s.

“It’s because you’re old, Ishera,” he says, breath misting. “This happens to women when they age.”

He steps towards Ishera and she retreats, gesturing for protection from the evil eye. He doesn’t stop. He walks calmly and speaks, and she backs up under the intensity of his gaze.

“Your bones ache. Your joints don’t bend as well. You find it harder to gesture your emotions so the Fey can’t twist your intentions. Your face grows ever more gaunt as the fat migrates to your belly. Your looks melt away. Your tits sag.” He spits on the ground. “Your mind and body betray you, and you think only of halcyon days that never existed; or of when you were young and pretty and maybe, maybe, could have done things differently; and delude yourself into thinking it’s still not too late, that you can still change things.”

She trips backwards. His hand whips out like a greased fairy and snatches her wrist, holding her up. His fingers dig into her skin and it hurts. He pulls in to whisper closer, only to pause and sniff.

“Alcohol on your breath. You're drunk.”

“I'm fine, Tally-boy. Let go of me!”

“I am Lady Immarel’s sword. You are her quill,” he says. “I’ve learned to love the art of slashing itself. You should be happy merely being literate. It’s not worth overthinking.”

2fWofeN-YLhjNanE30yvllITdzLcXyK6Sb5Adk9STpoSdUFerY9cI3XoJciPrtz6KR_lGGIubL7t65fN3BBa0b7y4G91MeNU50PcxCdomatWMcKt35V7wFUPXAqWo4dYfEzRzoNLpJDojRghRu9e_1I

Consider: the undefeated swordsman must be exceptionally poor.

Talaran lets her go and turns.

“Is that it?!” Ishera screams at his back. “You’re just—you’re happy with all of this! Autumn hangs from the gallows, so now it’s time to sit on your ass and wait around for the next disaster? What if we are getting old? It's a terrible time to die with so much left to do.”

“When's a good time?” he asks mildly.

Ishera growls at him from the back of her throat, ear standing erect. “Everything is fucked, Talaran! Half of Eordand is a charnel pit. We pretend the masked men aren’t Lady Immarel’s corpse servants. An entire generation of children have grown up with the taste of blood in their mouths. The very people we fought for don’t even exist anymore because of what we’ve done! And all Lady Immarel does anymore is work on her strange magical obsessions in her giant scary doom tower. You’re okay with everything?!”

He pauses momentarily, his good ear standing tall. He takes a deep breath. “You should be careful where you walk, Ishera. Falling at your age is lethal,” he says. “Best tread along safe, proven roads.”

And he leaves her there, panting, exhausted in the light of the hearthfire.

SLlxSfCaePU_l90k-gDoE_8vd0WPVCCAjksyO5vtZMN1ahdQAEncTYyyybmCuHNZBFXPyPFojX69P-4VQyuZVVeVA2Bs8TCn9CvzdfiKo8ktJpkwftq83r5qxerHy9rzDuaJRx57qoyBfpmQUtrZkgo

Ishera’s work, not Immarel’s, is what the people are truly thankful for when Winter comes.

There’s nothing left for Ishera to do anymore with Captain Talaran. Lady Immarel is so busy with her projects that she barely has time for Ishera anymore.

Ishera stares at the quill on her desk in the headquarters of the Taigan Order, the administrative power of Gemradcurt. For two decades orders has passed from Immarel’s mouth to Ishera’s hand.

To many people, there’s no functional difference between the Lady’s words and Ishera’s letters.

So if Immarel won’t do anything, Ishera will.

She drafts letters and orders. She sends money where it’s properly needed. She has Taigan mages sent across the country on needless duties. Overseeing construction projects, the integration and rehabilitation of the Tuathak under Winter’s loving embrace, and sponsoring artists and architects all across the empire. She meets with merchants and nobles, hearing their problems out, and then getting to work addressing injustice and legal abuses for a fairer, more equitable society.

It’s rebellion and Ishera knows it. Acting on her own. But in that moment, Ishera is the state in every way that matters. She knows Immarel will understand. She has to understand, after everything she’s done for their people, that this will benefit them all. It’s nothing Ishera hasn’t been doing under Immarel’s watchful eyes from the beginning anyhow.

Ishera builds orphanages. She ensures pensions for veterans. She even gets to work repairing Einnsag to serve as Gemradcurt’s premier naval base.

The Snecboth once offered their fire to friends and lovers.

Ishera’s quill shares the state’s new hearths with all under Gemradcurt’s boot.

Immarel had once told her a story about an elf named Ewan and a king of the Fey. He had learned the futility of protecting his heart with metal. A hero had to wear their heart on the outside for all to see if it was to have any meaning. He’d learned much from the Fey in the Domandrod. But Ishera never forgot how the story ended: Ewan wandered the Domandrod forever, never to be seen again by mortal eyes.

It is the work of years. She does it in a month.

And collapsed into her warm bedroom one night, only to find a guest sitting on her bed. A creature that should not be in here, but does not care what mortals think is possible or not.

Yl5kDjsCAEwqAtGFWebaqz2te0vHi-78-IHJyg0J4R-5aaHXttnhebGt6BwGIVgAYrzSIj8x2m1kK4GPM8g9JG0hxIM6OwodXunQIFhHD68iBcF5eIwqlsfSzAukF_G-bb9KzITapWHopOENKmRVHP0

The Fey of Eordand are fickle things. Murderous one moment, helpful another. They view mortals more as a passing curiosity.

She looks like a Snecboth woman, but her proportions are off, with a crown of ice circling her head and a blue amulet of magical Fey Gem so potent every vein in Ishera’s mage-body wants to steal it and drink its power.

Instead, the Fey thing hands her a bottle of mead and explains her presence.

“But,” Ishera says, gesturing for pardon, her heart racing, “it was Lady Immarel who showed you kindness all that time ago.”

The Fey smiles in the fourth mystic way and laughs. “No, Lady Ishera. It was you who spurred her. It was you who shows kindness and generosity, sharpening knives not to cut foes but to carve meat whence all may feast. This is my gift to you.”

Ishera accepts the gift with the proper gesture. “I thank you, great one.”

The Fey smiles in the third way. “It may shield you, once, from the ire of the Fey and their plots. You saved a beggar’s life for no ulterior motive. Remember your kindness. People look to that, not cruelty.”

She examines the bottle. It looks so normal. “What ire of the Fey may befall me? I have been pious in my works and deeds.”

Instead of smiling in a lower way, the Fey suddenly looks serious. The ice orbiting the wintery creatures speeds up, then stops. She looks serious. “You traffic in the court of queens and princes, Lady Ishera. You have their eye.”

“What do I have to fear?”

“A terrible winter,” the Fey says grimly. “Even we from the heart of the Feywild fear what he is doing, but are powerless to stop him. Maybe you can do something. Maybe not and we’ll ask the Peitar again to sort out our mess.”

“Huh?”

Before vanishing, the Fey gestures for hope and says, “Great change is here.”

GP59hffjN-PnqIj11IB82GNEepzIqghZJc9K9rvhtFxwBTFcG066_uwEuhtzHf6vFTDrfDx5Rld8KDaT8ohA-J6uky3uiTk0mxHqFJEidZF6A1Cye1dF7WDSzQSSVYvod5VzZV-An6caiq4qBYDhoF4

Finally.
[Time to finish our mission tree…]

Great change is here.

I make a final breakthrough. My patron has been vague, giving me enough rope to hang myself, and I have used it to tie a safety net together.

The pieces are all in place.

I go into the chamber where the Heart of Winter resides.

The Everfrost Prince is there to watch over me.

Eternal power.

Salvation.

And I am terrified.

P61v9J3Ifs06OqRmAvjq5OfqAFmlNa_mkuKwE23NHT7yQCoekm5SwoMcA_NDzu6Y72WdxIlNKZNE9i8IlMK4nR6ufyN8MAVCeDao9anc_PIbj01SpALbe5MGxN_tiOGdWNGIox9gQXhfJe7360_0JY0

Murder the gods and topple their thrones.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ishera is plotting something that might count as treason? That's fascinating. Let's hope that Immarel understands because, if she doesn't... brother will fight brother, and old friends will kill one another. Civil wars help no one.

The Everfrost Prince is being suspiciously nice to Immarel. What does making her immortal do for him?

"Murder the gods and topple their thrones"... well, that's ominous. I can't imagine that it'll be easy, either.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ishera is plotting something that might count as treason? That's fascinating. Let's hope that Immarel understands because, if she doesn't... brother will fight brother, and old friends will kill one another. Civil wars help no one.

The Everfrost Prince is being suspiciously nice to Immarel. What does making her immortal do for him?

"Murder the gods and topple their thrones"... well, that's ominous. I can't imagine that it'll be easy, either.
Ishera is really just actively doing what she thinks is best for Gemradcurt and its people. She's been the internal policy power behind Gemradcurt for a while. But after decades of being overruled and pushed around, she's trying to do something about it. She doesn't intend to doublecross Immarel, not exactly, but she knows what she's doing isn't in the spirit of the Immarelian Regime: it's more kind, caring, charitable, compassionate.

And the Everfrost Prince apparently is usually pretty nice and supportive of Immarel, in his own cold and fatherly way. Mostly because she's a war-orphan, but apparently Immarel considers him almost a parental figure. Granting her immortality appears to be a method to keep his most useful agent alive so she can get stronger in magic and finish the Eternal Winter the Everfrost Prince wants to bring about, which he does for... reasons. He's a Fey. He just does things. Even Immarel doesn't pretend to entirely understand him.

And no, it won't. The Red Winter comes

Chapter 9: Red Winter
Chapter 9: The Long Night

ECIuzM5oiF4ljXDN5bzCHWvMhlqaPNyGOwxZqZHeU2MWluyrEF3MMZykPGua2mOH-BKswnfcxzqydci54VhoA94Kxn5xvGICUcNx1PqAFbD8IME0ykVRfdHvcfCHU2efFgBh71sTGwTaM3UxS5CHqR8

“Mother of Death.” The end of the world sloshing out from my womb to destroy my people. Nightmares of magic and power and doom.

There’s an old saying in Eordand: “Never trust a Fey who claims to know the path ahead. You will find its boots conspicuously clean of mud.”

Yet here I am, at the end of a long life. Barely over forty, overthinking the old legends an adoptive mother of the Taigan Order told to her throng of war-orphans. Sitting in an office beneath an architectural wonder, reaching out to a fire.

And spitting in the face of every lesson I was taught from mortal mouths.

I watch the paleish-blue skin of my fingers redden with heat. I feel the hearth’s warmth travel into my trunk through hot blood.

Years ago, the Everfrost Prince had told me blood was alive.

Then he told me to stand up. He told me to take that next step. Told me to follow him. He led me to the priestesses and druids of the Taigan Order, where I once again found the simple warmth of a fire and survived. I’ve listened to him ever since without fail.

That was forty years ago.

My blood is alive.

I hold my hand closer to the fire.

I wonder for how much longer.

kWO9oyJFNJGFPL_mCaLsChUV8cpHtk05O-DNwdVeh2tML9bYy2xA-myJ8-7l2JYFIdlsjYyh38mMtCJNmjxpvpgwYyii4B7Q0tljOn49GuRiP37kndDpzfhRAndRi3TcJ3ErlVwcewWV3ZFAp3lkFBg

Everything has led to this moment. Every elf I’ve killed. Every nation I’ve burned. Every corpse I’ve enslaved to serve me.

I could stop now. I’d never made an official pact with the Everfrost Prince. He was my patron, my support, but our souls weren’t linked through a bond.

But then what would I tell myself? How would I explain to Ishera the necessity of the things I’ve done if I never actually finish it? In the abstract, I know Ishera speaks truth to power when she challenges my decisions. She is, however, only seeing the short term. The here and now. Not the truth of what I was working for, for all of my people.

Cruelty, in all its various forms, is no better gilded than rusty and sharp.

It’s just one of those needful things for a better future.

98DhMxsuy1HDhZ3Nz88X4x4-4ILyfTsi8AqIbEMtTG0ZEyH7Xr5FBM0iv7sJX0kxKBnLuYpL3QIXKkRpQpJtf3zULW0mfawSy6K-5tAFwVC_GMRuKkdqDhS90-SH9bX6ZHMMy1teehfHAH58zYyzH-8

Fuck.

It happens in an instant. One moment, I’m dreaming fitfully in bed.

The next, men and women surround me. Screaming and arguing amongst themselves as they bind my hands and shove a gag in my mouth. They drag me from my office into the depths of the Frostspear and barricade the doors. They argue and fight about what to do as the swirling magic of the Heart of Winter pulses behind them, bathing the room in a pulsing blue light.

I recognize one as a military figure who works for Talaran, Captain Serondar. The others, I dimly recall Ishera organizing meetings with where I’d entirely zoned out and let her handle it. Creatures of wealth, power, and influence within the court of Gemradcurt.

“We kill her, of course,” Serondar says, gesturing piously.

A woman shakes her head, pointing at the Heart. “And what about that? Fey curse me, but what if we need to use her to destroy this monstrosity?”

A man snaps his fingers, summoning fire between the tips. “Look, she can’t do anything right now. Maybe we can blow it up before the Stitchman gets here.”

They argue like this. My neck hurts from bending it to watch them.

I shimmy in place, trying to feel what they’ve done to me. I can’t speak. Can’t move my hands. I can’t even wiggle my fingers. Trying just rubs the rope deeper into my skin. Can’t cast any spells.

One of the women in the group looks at me. I bite down hard and try to spit it out, like it’s her throat.

She gestures and looks away sharply.

Outside the door, someone slams into it. Again. And again. Talaran’s voice calls out in desperate anger, pounding against the door. That only puts the people who tied me into a frenzy.

So whatever’s going on, at least Talaran stayed loyal. These other creatures of power, however?

Shit. Fuck.

Alright. Alright. Think.

Don’t panic. Focus on the facts. What I can and cannot do.

Okay!

Think think think think think.

They’re arguing what to do with me. Can I use this? How, though? I can’t speak or cast magic. One of them is a mage; he knows how to stop a spellcaster. Who even are all of these people? How did they plan something like this and get so far? Ishera is supposed to be watching out for this kind of thing.

She’s not with them. And with Talaran outside, that means my closest lieutenants haven’t betrayed me.

I was this close. It’s right there, the Heart of Winter, swirling within its precursor structure. Everything I need for the ritual is here. If I could get out, maybe I could—

hWI0OKPbaOTQNnN3YibbctMxkuI96a49vOt3f9DmezBClUiwPhMsmUy6IVxaEcw5UYM6IRtQX7f7lNU_T4vlmJ5VzUXfYU5oYAOhjyzfV0rvzZEhJMuJEuMG4DnyS2YpcRAcEpe5N9HssHWoTbzwi40

Gradually, then all at once.

Time stands still as the Everfrost Prince releases me. I rub my lips and wrists and listen to him, his words echoing in my skull. My mouth waters and dries in the same instant

He offers me a true, honest pact. Binding ourselves together by the soul.

The power I need, completing the ritual, in his name. I’ll survive. I’ll escape. Infinite power for just a little bit of snow.

I feel it should be more profound somehow. More celebration and fanfare and ice-magic. Instead, I’m basically in my underwear in a room full of people while I’m trying to get the taste of old socks out of my mouth.

I make the pact.

ldsXOxqqy_TJ6xAJND3Uw5yErvN0VBVGaAmzHoRIO5Y_6rLtWxb4P-ommk_jC6ZHlLWCk3iBBOrPKleqU-nd-rqL0tI5CZHmGjVsegIZkhLGyh2zSuQsACfkH-3oM5hBZV9kPhZlqwfUhTihw6XjBW8

Power and life eternal.

Carried forth on icy mistrals and an unholy aura. Wisps of it creep out of the chamber and out into the Frostspear, almost lazily.

Talaran beholds me with wide-eyes as he falls to his knees. I myself reflected in his eyes, and I don’t look any different. I look the same as I always have. I had taken power beyond the ken of any ordinary elf, and I remained the same me I knew.

Still in my underwear, though.

The dragon’s scales are thick, Ewan. But well should you know that the easiest way into a monster’s heart is his own reflection.

I blink. I take a breath filled with the magic of my new phylactery, clearing my mind of old stories. I hold out my hands and give Talaran his new orders. He does not tarry in carrying them out.

As the maelstrom of magic swirls above Gemradcurt, the Taigan Order and my wights break down every door. Those who sought to betray me are dragged out and put to the sword, no matter their class or importance. Their families who protest can’t be trusted either.

The streets do not run red with blood. This isn’t Raithtall or Arakeprun or even Einnsag. This is home. This is Gemredcurt itself.

Instead of being left to ooze and rot on the pavement, I command them to rise. In life they failed the Winter Court. In death, they shall have no choice.

RpDS5wXM8MYC_xe485oAVI3GZ_hN65HKjQgkLLo70pU5lbiEM-VE39Mv_nu_EEa8rg5IGvmtMtabw8EeijXRB3XhaMzec1EC1bME-6yU_iCnJ_Os4W_2Rw_EFWE2L4VQZo4sGAZ41irnHDCRG5R4544

Remain Calm. Winter prevails. The Lady-Mother Lives. Gemradcurt shall endure. There is much to be done.

The old halls of power are empty, their kings and nobles and merchants are ground to dust.

It is the table salt of their new mistress.

I stand there, in my office, and stare into my hearth. At the roaring fire within, as smoke and winter mists rise up across the city. The spell-maelstrom that swirls above Gemradcurt is tied to my soul through the Heart of Winter. Bound together as my phylactery.

This is it.

I am a corpse.

Yet I can still draw breath. I can fill my lungs with cold air. And I don’t feel my blood flinching from it anymore. The fire doesn’t do anything. Closer and closer, until I’m nearly roasting my still very elven flesh, and I barely notice it.

I don’t notice a real difference, I should say.

I still feel alive.

The Everfrost Prince had seemed quite proud of that. It was so I could still “feel the cold embrace of winter” or something. He called it a unique twist on being a lich.

My body remains alive. Mortal, even. I can use magic to alter how it looks, enchantment and illusion spells to preserve or tweak features, but it’ll die eventually.

It.

I’m thinking of the flesh I was born into as an it.

Because that’s what it is. This lichdom means I’ll need to transfer my mind into another body. My true soul remains in the phylactery, but I can transfer the conscious part of it into someone else with a time-consuming ritual that isn’t too fussy, all things considered. It’ll render them braindead, functionally comatose, but I’ll completely take over.

Changing mortal bodies. Remaining who I am.

I look at my hand and wonder how long before my flesh rots away, and I need to kill someone to stay in this world.

“My Lady,” Talaran says from behind me, flanked by loyal officers.

I withdraw from the fire, flexing my fingers. “Captain.”

He shakes his head, frowning. Gaze intense as the Everfrost Prince’s. “We liquidated dissidents within the city. Our garrison in Arakeprun met with some internal conflicts and is being held up on their orders to return to Gemradcurt.”

QQsMMZzpA8hKdUVFv7cuzaQJ7S4Kqld5CdxdFSm29Vjy9-wpYJwHQqo1yQeCS7oR9bq5GL8l9BQ4Fu7uCAlApW6VeSEeD-bwMQ-MbvkIc7IljHM9BX31RVvb1zphCuczd0vrhjlX6yzwXMkWIPJkg1s

They don’t know what’s best for them.

I look out my window at the city, at the maelstrom above the city, and sigh. “Who remains loyal?”

“We retain a vice on most major population centers despite the rioting,” he says with distaste. “Disloyal commanders in our main army and the Taigan Order have been dealt with. The countryside, especially non-Snecboth, are a warren of insurrection. Enough of the old upper classes have fallen in line to continue running the state.”

“That is not a reassuring answer.”

Talaran hesitates, ears level. “Can your patron, this Everfrost Prince, help?”

I scowl. “This is my country. These are our people. We will handle it ourselves. Like we always have.”

He nods. “Your will be done, my Lady.”

bks9G25DsdTqzFF2NTwjL6o83BLjqn_1QyOzuJc5mQ9vBuqxSEzJU7CZryt2JYXd6IJYbiur1qCFaqV4Bn7LPAjZCngkawiX-qE9DqRPsglu-PYvRnBFGaHrmwQM1qQA9u8BhbscDc5Vwr0LOJ3ML9s

And the Long Night opens to a Red Winter.

On the outside, I must be cold. I must be firm. I can’t show any weakness. I am Immarel Winterswrath, the Lady of Gemradcurt, who has formed a pact with the Everfrost Prince, the patron Archfey of Winter itself. I know what must be done and shall make it so.

For all intents and purposes, I’m Queen Bitch of the universe.

Privately, I worry.

I sit in my office, poring over reports and news from all across Eordand. Reading to see the latest riots, the most recent attack on Taigan patrols, or to figure out where the battle lines are being drawn. Holding my hands over my face and feeling the temperature of my breath as I look at reports of deserting garrisons, looted armories, and civil pandemonium.

Not all of it are reports from the Order. There’s letters from citizens, asking for help and assistance. The snow has fallen harder and more consistently than ever before, the price for a pact with the Everfrost Prince. The Snecboth people habitually store great reserves of grain and cured fish, but if the growing season will only last three months of the year, there are fears. Already roads and houses are collapsing under the ice, and only communal hearths and well-fortified cities remain mostly unmolested.

Then there’s news we seize from the rebels. Letters and reports. Attempts to organize a coherent front. The propaganda that claims I am “Fey-kin” and “Her icy tendrils are ten-thousand miles long; resist!”

All throughout I search for any news of Ishera. She’d vanished in the chaos of the Long Night, her office found ransacked. I don’t want to think of what happened to her. That the people who tried to kill me also decided to remove her.

If anyone hurt her, if anyone so much as touched the tips of her ears…

I let the reports fall from my shaky hands, and breathe.

9KeaXYnZF3-owcEi1-_S3cRbPNCjlWRaSDSdE60rrQh49JVQf55ZArCNqWghRP_sdgsr7UJLjlVabycIcihO_CBadetfRbqi3H5USFOQCtSCnwYf9bS8x_U-_Hr7CMuisBWaKKeMFBBzZSZMWJl9Hqg

“Witch!” the rebels scream. “A frost-born witch hungry for the flesh she peels from the skin of her Fey master.”
[A Witch-King. Any nation can get this when you perform too much evil magic. It makes everyone hate you but buffs your own army. At -6 diplomatic reputation, we are functionally North Korea to the rest of the world.]

“Witch.” The word on everyone’s lips.

Everyone who doesn’t know any better, at least.

There had been a diplomatic quarter in Gemradcurt. Had been.

Between the Long Night and all of my housekeeping, the other nations of Eordand have broken off any and all official diplomatic ties. Except for the Caamasi merchants of Bagcatir. They alone rub their hands together and greedily offer to be our sole market for goods to the wider world, laundering them clean in Bagcatiri docks for export. Everyone else denounces Gemradcurt as an illegitimate, insane state ruled by an immortal Fey-Witch.

It’s the thinnest cover in the world, but it seems good enough for everyone else.

So be it.

I can’t focus on the affairs of others. They may spit on my name, but so long as they stay on their side of the border, they’re a problem for tomorrow’s Immarel.

Internally, however?

xq2uWliCWnzfokR0di0oH0paJioqvVoRg15kQWej36guLVZ8kqEOYj19hJbJpuQhglfCFyNkmxsKimAoRAktBWtt0aS64BN3_7_EsgH1flf4yfwfAtCGBkdAcz-ok3WdLXl0lsFL5tvfJodSZMHfY7g

The opening shots in a long war.

Organized pockets of resistance rise up across the nation, storming local city garrisons and taking their weapons for themselves. People claiming to represent the legitimate, sane, and mortal government of Gemradcurt.

They’re not where I expected the sparks to go off. I scramble to move my soldiers into place, that I might join them and bring down all of Winter’s fury on these bastards.

FscV9qUkfvzJaeQti-JV0fwlivkLp1K-qJ3Ewej129F2prCq_7usvJf-G6zFAcWGtn3JzBB1vFAgL4bLtkdo21fob9rAfdTcWTrfbMcHtk6SpJuApGJPlyH3hur8bnevmMAUrk6bqNu3on7OcivnNCM

Concentrated winter in the palm of my hands sent into the throats of my enemies.
[Just an average day in Immarels’ life, checking things off the “Geneva to-do list.”]

“This group calls themselves the Watchers of the White,” Captain Talaran says as our army of elven soldiers, Order mages, and undead auxiliaries march off to handle this rebellion. Thousands in number, the column stretches for miles down the snowy roads from the hates of Gemradcurt. “It’s Ishera.”

My ears perk at her name. Then I get a cold feeling in my guts. The implication circles through my stomach and down like blood in a drain. “What?”

“It’s Ishera, my Lady,” he repeats. “She’s not dead. She’s worse.”

What?

Captain Talaran stares at me. “She’s behind this all. Maybe from the start.”

pV54c9-iteoa7QxTgnbP5wYUAzGwalPHYCiFwmBeEAxYWWhqhpaVDSBmZSnEKfm-czADKTGx5it3yxuH-4jLTTqBszIDWbPkZ2f5hEb9hMo3r9ROTNXNN2x_dPKuBMr1BCYgOeWp1hAw-7fBTfOLzUA

Ishera, no. No, no, no, NO, NO!

…we found Ishera.

I…

Watchers of the White.

That’s their name. Nobles and merchants and people whose families and friends we had to do away with during the Long Night.

Ishera has…

It’s the first shot. The first opening salvos of this war.

And Ishera is their leader, their figurehead, their—fuck!

I slam my hands down on my war table, looking at the letters and reports. Ishera hadn’t left. She hadn’t even deserted. She had betrayed me. She had very publicly and ostentatiously taken up the rebel cause, seeking to destroy my way of life, the very nation we built together.

“My Lady?” Talaran asks from behind me.

I whirl on him, my mind a jumble. An incoherent mess that can barely force a coherent thought, let alone words. I thought maybe she had been hurt. I’d hoped we’d find her, and she’d be there for me like she always was. Since we were little kids, attending lessons on the road together, having each other’s backs no matter what.

This was the darkest moment of my life. And she’s not here. How fucking dare she not be here when I need her most!

We’d talked about our dreams together. She took my hand and we laid on the floor of a tent and pretended to count stars. We—we—we—

“My Lady,” Talaran says again, implacably.

I take a long, shuddering breath. And I take the time to compose myself. To fix my hair. To adjust my dress and fur hood.

“Nothing has changed, Captain,” I say with a calmness I do not feel. Piloting my tongue by rote. Not even really thinking my words through. Just letting the body that I’ll soon abandon do the work for me. “We suffer not the traitor to live.”

I swear to every Fey Seelie and Unseelie that in that moment I see Talaran smile.

“Do it in two flicks of the fairy’s wing,” he says.

u8nI97oWa9L3poHFBp-r1Vp5TnyE7rMmGmDJzTEdiOMPtfINHs8JlojwC1eQiXTvcw5nC88buSieWdaE8s4Ah-yS9g15dEDjNuhWZ8VKnxn9ee0rYTWo-9ffnFnUussY40k4_WyA3QNs8yakj6-Zdyk

The White Terror cometh.

Dungat.

I remember Dungat. Once the capital of Strutmar, where Ishera and Talaran argued over how to handle the Peitar. I decided to reject their surrender and slaughter the Peitar to give the land back to my people. Maybe that was the first time Ishera had her doubts that led to where we are now. As if I didn’t do the right thing in the moment!

I still know this land. I can close my eyes and wander through the snowscape to a little town called Fasacglan, where I was born in another life.

Once Dungat was a notable town, now it’s just another backwater in Gemradcurt, having never fully recovered from when I laid it to waste. We only march through it to make work of the White Watchers in Slegcal. When I saw smoke, we deployed for battle and advanced.

We found only dead rebels, corpses, and burned villages along the road.

Snecboth on horseback meet us, carrying an eclectic mix of banners depicting white snowflakes on bloody fields. The elf leading the riders gets his stead and falls to his knee before me. Talaran steps forwards, reaching for his sword, but I stop him.

“My Lady-Mother, a pleasure. You must truly have ears everywhere to know the theater is in town,” he says, removing his bloodied helmet. He’s young, maybe in his early twenties.

I look up at the ruins of Dungat. “You did this?”

He stays on his knee, frowning in thought. “It was meant to be a peaceful demonstration of art and love, just me and a couple thousand of my best friends on horseback. But, well, you know how those traitors are. I personally can’t stand art critics.”

Something about that startles me. It had never occurred to me that while the people might rise up against me that they might also rise up for me. Even if some of their banners are mine, I did not sanction or fund or order these warriors. For a moment, I feel offended at the concept. Before I look again at this young man. A boy, really. He must have been born and entered adulthood under my leadership, in some ways raised and supported under my care. And when people tried to harm me, he and those with him decided to do something about it.

He was showing his loyalty in the only way the new generation of snow elves knew.

The young man gestures for pardon. “Ah, but manners, my Lady. What a brute you must think me! I am Commander Ferwylt. Or Jester on stage, as my troupe is fond of using.”

“Your troupe?” I ask, looking at the horsemen. More of them are lurking in the distance. Barely visible in the blizzard I’ve created.

“Why!” Jester says with excitement. “For my Lady-Mother’s pleasure, may I present the Eiganrac—Ice Wanderers—and the aftermath of a performance dedicated to our savior, liberator, and protector.” He gestures towards the ruins with all the flourish of a professional entertainer, his hand even shimmering with some sort of illusion magic for effect. “Alas, not everyone is grateful for theater these days. You know how these heathen traitors are. Perhaps in the next village we’ll deal with fewer philistines, hm?”

I swallow a lump in my throat and smile. “Your men have done good work and you have my thanks.”

Jester’s expression does something in my intestines. It’s this proud, almost boyish expression that’s all teeth.

“Captain Talaran,” I continue, “offer them and their horses something to eat. I have business to attend to.”

I look over the fresh corpses of Dungat and am still Snecboth enough to know not to waste, and add them to my army.

We leave Jester behind to his work and march on.

nOhUMYSD_Hk0INFHJeYuP9de3_vCPbwxEVzouEEycKNFmL463P0tsU-KJMV3BxHmXzDek3FRAMNkqW-NLHAa1v9zaD4ksKic8vWVtDFPENe-axK1gg6KFTHav4ABiquDSGJX50HDcNlh8XqMtpvvWLo

Ishera had once asked me about this. Talked about how the people we were fighting to save were becoming something else. Even our faith, our understanding and veneration of winter, was changing.

Sometimes by happenstance. Sometimes, like when I properly codified the Winter Court, on purpose.

Jester was a boy who grew up under the new faith, the new peace. He and so many others only understood my new world. This proactively self-defensive Winter Court. With the Everfrost Prince openly known as my patron, people like Jester and his Eiganrac are fighting as much because of love of me as they do out of genuine religious frenzy. There may not even really be a functional difference at this point.

I glance at Captain Talaran as we proceed, a man whom I’ve never seen make a gesture. Who wears his impiety like armor.

He looks back at me, saying nothing. Waiting for me to speak some order, to command him to do some heinous action he won’t hesitate to do.

I tighten my coat and continue on.

DQEUPuQFwrMVuJUjvfa9eplk7ZAHZzRVPWozLl5kIxRCkL-KZOu4NhPhFVoH79UkvAwrTfC507sZnpuHzO50ONyzpA7fMR8WBBwcLXG2t5wuvJq8x2B9r05mkZUpKmW60qtGFMGooxx8LNHJxsAfzgI

I learn after we leave that the Eiganrac ride off to continue their work, growing in support and numbers. I wonder after Jester, but realize so long as he’s helping I’m in no position to try to rein them in.

Any islands of support are worth nurturing in this sea of open rebellion.

And finally, we meet the Watchers of the White in the forests of Fogrim, where once I defeated Jhorgas and nearly lost a war for it.

WABbNNHSv34Cb-LdbQuGh03MUCdi1BreNM8drfQ6tE45Qs1ZJ1HK-bYeYnIyKiyKGxHATA5994To_JzoxFGhY08IgE6nPI1iw8p3qAGXXnkmPY45LN3mlfPCvkFTwmW_kFoy8KEfu28wqocLC_gSOCI

Victory. Bloody victory.

It’s strange. Dungat and now Fogrim.

It feels like I’m walking the same path I did twenty years ago, with Talaran and Ishera when we first fought back against the Tuathak.

I feel like I can close my eyes and I’ll feel Ishera take my hand and ask me what I want to do when this is all over as she flops her wrist around in hope. I feel like I’ll hear a young Talaran, before the scars and stitches, making some dry observation with that sense of humor he once had.

When I open them, all I see is endless winter. In the same place where once Jhorgas Frostguard once faced off against me, his head a tower pillar of magefire, now there are only Snecboth corpses freezing to the ground where we killed them. There’s no Ishera trying to see something good in all of this. But there is stone-faced Captain Talaran, whose body looked stitched together from disparate warriors, rounding up any survivors for summary execution.

I feel so cold.

For by what right would a witch who feeds on the blood of motherless boys have to whine about having her skull split?

I blink hard, shaking my head. Willing the old thoughts and memories away. What I’m doing are needful things. This is for everyone’s benefit. This is for the Snecboth’s own good. Even if they don’t know it yet.

vTMCS06xnupsm8Jj380o0jNDVjo3ehw_VVH9l3I1p6-dSh4bfyqjKpjZ0LY0J8SoZjXNELSwedqkNx9FZaAIcAlY5wzZ-0-9lgepAox6uYhCVDf1Ef1ZIcngFGLU9S3o5m61bIzGoImz4XpmtOBY2ls

My Taigan Order had already subsumed so much of the government, I may as well make it official after being betrayed by my upper classes.

Ostensibly, we’ve routed and slaughtered the Watchers of the White, but Ishera was nowhere to be found. Part of me hopes her entire involvement is some elaborate act of propaganda. That maybe the White Watchers or whoever else did kill her, and were parading some lookalike to give themselves some semblance of legitimacy.

One day, when my body fails me, I’ll have to do the same thing. I’ll find a woman who looks like me to steal her flesh and kill her mind.

Because of what I am, a lich of the Fey. Not even really an elf anymore in any way except physical.

Maybe, on some level, I hope Ishera really is dead because I’m afraid of what she’d say to me if she knew what I’ve become. She had sulked after Marathmas, Dungat, and Einnsag. She had a moral spine in that most precious and least productive of ways.

I wouldn’t even be able to hide the secret of my lichdom from her. I can give Talaran orders, but I can’t talk to him. Not like Ishera. I’d tell her everything. And I’d hope I could convince her I had made the right choice.

4MxhjkvcklaMKta7cOHg6saqcMrVDJEZwDnSLXpyv9D7vzNLDMBJolIL5rv4lgpTfSp2UabLTEFGSB3Jzv-Gez4wThUc0h0RBpbOz5PYYanBtcQJppLAPFnD-uKMdKjB1dq-c_tNOTgotj5uqOQ8reI

News from the former dominion of Autumn.

We march quickly for the lands of the Tuathak, where Order mages guide druids to root out the Autumn Court. It had been a project of mine. Or, rather, Ishera’s.

We’d agreed we couldn’t slaughter every Tuathak in their homeland like we could their colonizers. She had taken it upon herself to find a compromise after burning Einnsag: attempting to destroy the influence of Autumn to make good citizens of our former oppressors and…

Who am I trying to justify anything to anymore? Who am I trying to convince? I keep thinking these thoughts, repeating these memories, as if trying to explain myself. As if I need any explanation for what I decide is right.

I have the right to change my mind as I see fit, as I learn better, and that is my prerogative as the Lady of Gemradcurt.

I hope Ishera is dead.

I hope she isn’t really here.

I don’t have to explain myself to anyone anymore.

I simply am.

I am taking my armies, my legions of veteran snow elves and their undead auxiliaries, to the Autumnal realms. I am meeting more and more Eiganrac and seeing more burned villages as I march.

And I am going to finish this war, no matter the cost, no matter the bloodshed. Because I am right.

ZcIhNALqWJM6yAgv4TOaGv0Rke5EC_8-IYoni4TRCiB1F9I3OsgyXgzjSQBR_14URFt9_BDBN7GF6gRfLyUqye_m6o700VC5erZF1_gRSXKT7w2uv3jSaMtkW9jbKV4ZECW5fKeMmyNvWnsuRRNy-wM

And I am finding that this Red Winter snows harder and harder.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that's... certainly something. Immarel has officially gone off the deep end. It might be all downhill from here.

I honestly thought that Ishera's defection was inevitable. She and Immarel had too many ideological disagreements.

Will Immarel ever let her people know peace? Or will she try to conquer the world?

Chapter 10: Red Winter
Chapter 10: Red Winter

The wagons stretch on for miles and through the gates of Gemradcurt. Sometimes Taigan mages escort them. Sometimes they’re guarded by Eiganrac riders.

It doesn’t change the fact that the wagons never stop rolling in.

Wheels sink into the snow as they carry frozen corpses to the ever-burning forge district, where Taigan mages command the dead to rise. Wielding once forbidden magic for war, for killing, for much the same purpose as a man might use a particularly sharp rock. Smiths combine copper and arsenic into bronze, forging armor and masks to clad a legion of wights.

We’d stopped back in the city to resupply. Originally, I’d tried counting the corpses, and gave up after the first ten thousand. While snow elves still make up the bulk of our frontline fighting force, more and more reanimated traitors are filling the gaps in our lines. We use desecrated bodies to haul supplies as the horses freeze to death, to dig out the roads the Eternal Winter reburies every morning.

There’s a brief period of thaw in the middle of summer. And that’s when the Tuathak rise up.

We know because we’ve been watching them.

UkT_TN9uCQMXhHlnplmN_Icl5XEZ9hb0BJYLg2tG6yDUlC_ydp-DsOIbB0mCWZITP2zifJs6_E6yyS00t8c3K9AOqCay8Wv9eus2rkCfz7VVl5JTVq3jh6XoU25xF0EHpV3SnExJarNxs143JWLb1Ew

No one hides from the eyes of Gemradcurt.

From a distant map, they might have been hidden. Arming themselves in secret under the guise of the rioting and looting that’s almost become commonplace.

Once, Ishera might have handled this. Now it’s an operation the Taigan Order conducts.

Whatever the case, when the Tuathak finally make their move, we’re already in position to swiftly react.

ndsz10dA9kLokX6rl2VVJQ_i5lf0jCMplzTO0FqdZkH5yAegjvybonRqrfExLW2_eA--9TVwSpc9JzVwss-BfD6jItejgMsHCYbIHzZfXgBlc9Y31Sw8tAq2Yg1JxWmjreT63VyG1nI43ECLlq9I_M8

Galhan Oakgardner escaped the burning of Einnsag. He slipped the noose we tied around Oceansong, but now foolishly reveals himself.

But even tasking my mages to spy on every city, on every house, we’re still caught off guard by the sheer volume of bodies the Tuathak throw at us. We don’t have enough eyes to be everywhere at once, much though we try.

6pBcr7Pg5YBEVj_n79eQPD9sm2El-linj1O2QtpoZeKr5gwqHn6sv4NHjrPcncUC7dHhZhfCBDV8s57yI2Cg3sXsGuguPcB4Bq8vOXesl-i3NocRvh_Wc4eO2rnl29zkIpZiwZ3zo8ncp0JXFbzCW3o

It’s treason, then.

The Everfrost Crusade had been our moment of singing vengeance. We drove Harvestcrown’s crusaders from our homeland, and came to return the favor in Autumn’s homeland.

King Oakgardner of Autumn overthrows the garrison of Raithtal and proclaims a new Hibernal Crusade. A never ending cycle of mutual holy wars of reprisal against each other. It’s ridiculous, in a way. They rise up with battle cries of freedom and revenge. As if they think they have any right to take vengeance upon an act of vengeance.

“Ishera’s work,” Talaran says as we move to retake the city, where years ago Talaran had been so horribly mutilated.

“What do you mean?”

He grunts. “Mercy. You have to wonder how many of Oakgardner’s officers were refugees from old Jhorgashirr. How many were Tuathak we failed to kill after the war because Ishera convinced us to show leniency to a prostrate foe.”

I tighten my fists, looking down into my lap. “You’d like her to be responsible, Talaran.”

Talaran grips the reins of his horse. “Liking has nothing to do with my job, my Lady. It’s just an occasional perk.”

The brief thaw ends. When the snow falls again, I reach into the cold winds and bid Talaran to send in the army.

DG4LIpz9NyTxk9v7omcSs-w-eXpST3ZbSTbS1sp8yymsOijn6AijHkrZyPOkpbfWd8JmdEEGrrkRUS5XFlNyEpTz-t9yRFZXP8rc-Jysxd7Y51OCwQtN5nOrrNVE9xZ5ctj0XWSS3jCJ58YQi27L8es

Though quarter asked, none be given.

It all comes down to Raithtall itself. We scour the countryside, destroying Tuathak garrisons and supply lines to a man.

Raithtall is much like I remembered it. The old battlegrounds are buried in snow, but the city’s walls and defenses were never fully repaired. We’ve taken this city before. We know the ways inside.

King Oakgardner sallies the last army of Autumn out to face us. The snow falls.

His lancers and infantry crash against our front lines. The snow turns red.

Talaran holds the line. Oakgardner orders a retreat back behind Raithtall’s walls. The snow has frozen the gates solid.

Where once I nearly lost everything, I now take everything from the Tuathak. Their liberty, their king, their lives.

PQr99t2AuAbiTTVJH-Iirn546l3KftMrL_cwTOlpRis4zBR6m7U4rXOyMlUL9ywrpI-YBM2NpoVZbmmVW8-YKRnnkGEeDBZ7xGXLhjhyrIo13xuq1uqimTMS-T53lb4JcuXacR63gRNyARjitt5342s

Choices choices. How I do I make sure this never happens again?

Captain Talaran picks through the battlefield, boots sloshing in the mix of blood and ice. Taigan mages look for the least destroyed corpses to raise while our living soldiers break down Raithtall’s gates to loot the rebels’ supplies for themselves.

Talaran stoops down, still agile despite his age and wounds, and picks up an ornate flute from the ground. He turns it between the fingers of his gloves hands, frowning in thought.

“Captain?” I ask, looking down at whom he’d taken it from. A Tuathak in glittering armor lays massacred beside his massive war elk. A king and his noble steed, slain at the hands of common-born elves.

“This was mine,” he says, holding the flute out to me. Holding it with a kind of reverence. “You gave this to me.”

I stand on my tippy toes to get a better look.

“When you first asked me to serve you, this was your gift,” he says, clutching it in his fingers. “A musical instrument to issue commands and give orders.”

“Why did he have it?”

He cinches it to his belt, replacing the flute he had been using. “Because when the Tuathak thought me dead, they thought it their right to own. Like anything precious to the Snecboth.”

“Spoils of war,” I say, nodding.

Talaran shakes his head. “Sometimes your soul isn’t a complete, wholly packaged thing, my Lady. Something inside you breaks early on before you’ve even grown into your name. And you have to spend the rest of your life piecing that soul back together bit by bit: sometimes in the forms of those you love, sometimes in the treasures you carry. You can’t really kill people like that. You can only steal pieces of their soul.”

I clasp my hands together beneath my coat, thinking of the Everfrost Prince and the Heart of Winter. My eyes go to Raithtall, my mind to Ishera. “And that’s what Harvestcrown’s children would have done to all of us. What we stopped, back then with Jhorgas and now here at Raithtall.”

He nods. “Yeah.”

I understand what I must do.

fj5tBngebG9iy42a5xgiOnISqovLNmmW97jMZkSM675H_CrsvRwMjWdJFd0oq1pZnQRMAMJTuYCFOBKp6EOm-SsDkU9YiM0xFjS1NFPep003uuYMUo3tzknR5coJE-j_gDMpwdd76rJLp0E78Q9-2DY

I undo Ishera’s work in a week of bloody reprisals.

The countryside is cleansed. The Tuathak towns and villages that supplied Oakgarnder’s rebellion are done away with, the land made open to Snecboth settlers like they once did to us. Their holy places are salted and burned. Any who resist are destroyed and raised from the dead to kill their like minded brothers.

I still remember discussing this problem with Ishera on the campaign trail through Iadth to Arakeprun. She was wrong to think we could ever live peacefully with these bastards. They spent years taking and taking and taking from us. The moment we give them an inch, they try to take a pound of flesh.

Their cities, like Raithtall and Malpadh, cannot be exterminated in a night. But this is an object lesson. Something for the survivors of traitors to take to heart.

Their culture, their way of life, will simply have to be done away with, even if Tuathak blood persists.

But that’s a problem for when this war is finally over.

1vUPxoy-FvBX6CDKaGJ110FqnkOdgJmQPSVPGUu7sgbN63NlDU4tNJLtDeVY_mrQjbIEufvY6lgdbCdqXLDll6JM2U-kdF5j08BuPIpDwvDyz2As6bsyDfbvCQUW77_tBju0Em1OsRVGtTptxNXi67s

Some take more joyously to this news than others.

I receive news of more and more acts of violence by the Eiganrac, those volunteers who had risen up in my name and act without my authority but in my name. I had thought that little “troupe” in Dungat was all of them. But as I pour over the reports, I learn more and more that Dungat was just one little flair-up in their campaign.

My army is large, but we can’t be everywhere at once. There are too many fires in the snow, and we’d be spread too thin extinguishing each one. Yet, here are the Eiganrac, fighting in my name everywhere I cannot be.

I’m reminded of that night I became this Fey-touched thing. When my hands were bound and mouth stuffed and I thought I would die before I could finish my work. I had heard Captain Talaran and his soldiers battering down the barricaded door, and felt this strange sense of relief someone had stayed loyal.

Commander “Jester” Ferwylt and his Eiganrac give me that same feeling. People out there are still loyal without needing me to watch over them.

It’s a strangely pleasant feeling. Vindication, in a way, in a sea of opposition and self-doubt.

We’d worried about Arakeprun, at the very edge of our nation. I thought it only a matter of time before it native Selpheregi rose up in opposition to winter as well. Instead, the Einganrac had taken it upon themselves to preemptively pacify the once-greatest city in Eordand and crown jewel of the Spring Court.

My armies cleaning up in the Hibernal realms even see a trickle of elven reinforcements from ethnic Selpheregi who swear to me and the Winter Court.

The matter soon goes from “how do we ensure loyalty” to “how do I pay and supply my soldiers?”

EXoNQBqPoHB73pesEAQC8RN1NHoBFTMoy6lEuTNgT4-OZeQv9PDlRbDlJhbDqLOzmWl4ko-a6EkV_PzwM5W4LBLD2JuMgNAPAUAb_oEY_26BqTQReaG1Q4mskqSORIh0M53K2J5wl-WlBEx_6jvgQWo

[Immarel moment]
[This is literally just gameplay abuse. You can debase your currency for quick cash, but it causes corruption. And some religions, like the Winter Court, let you appeal to religious virtues to root out corruption. They cancel each other out for free money every five years or so, which is basically the only way my economy is able to function: religious con artistry.]

The solution is little more than lying and cajoling my own merchant class, or at least what’s left that still sides with me. Precious metals are rare. Debasing currency with cheaper metals like copper is an old practice. Most people are wise to the practice.

Once, this would have been Ishera’s domain. She negotiated with the upper classes for me, which is likely why so many of them sided with her. I have our mints cheapen new coins, then demand my merchants and nobles loan me their own money, which I immediately repay with the cheaper coins for a slight profit, and count on them being too afraid to question the less valuable replacements with appeals to their civic and religious duties.

Would that I could abolish money altogether, but that’s not within the realm of any reality. Even if I replaced all my soldiers with the undead, I’d still need to spend money training mages, providing the Order the magical reagents to perform their rituals, and trading gold to equip them. With the core of my military and officers still living snow elves, I need to move food and other supplies too.

Some of the things we need aren’t abundant in Gemradcurt in the quantities this war requires. Bagcatir, which still maintains diplomatic and trade lines with me, is our only connection to the outside world. We buy and import from their merchants.

I thought this trick was pretty ingenious of me.

The noble lords of Gelcolle and old Reotcrab see it as the final step too far.

KxhjcsW5wIXQPjrqyOQKxxX7zAJmVsBwxn33s1jW-yIdFLFwSiHMTi-3fra3s8-G6HBrktXgBBTKz_8j89Moy34dAqXKeqmH3j8ol9jjBMMDJAASMkwt-LZTGHcBBBIpTic703BWmbxtUWcGH3ThvE4

You bastards, we snow elves are supposed to be united as one, not bickering!

Blindsiding in some respects, utterly predictable in others.

That doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy. The core of the old nobility, with all of their old money and power, is a threat as grave as Oakgardner. And unlike the garish, pompous Tuathak, we snow elves know how to fight in secret.

Half of this war had been brother-on-brother guerrilla action. It’s not to nail down where their armies are gathered even with the help of my mages. Winter threatens to not be a coherent set of pitched battles like the Tuathak, but a grueling grind in the northernmost reaches of the nation.

I’m in our war camp, which has turned into a mobile city at this point, trying to sort out where to deploy soldiers with my generals and senior mages, when I hear horses outside. I look around for Talaran, but he’s seeing to other business. The tent flap opens as a snow elf with a wide grin enters the room, flashing little illusory sparks as he throws his arms open as if to hug someone.

“My Lady-Mother, I’m so pleased you’ve elected to see the circus during one of our routine circuits,” Commander Jester Ferwylt says, and takes a bow. The Eiganrac sigils stitched to his arms jingle slightly.

I just stare, looking around my staff and advisors. I half expect to see Ishera sheepishly gesturing for pardon as she explains she invited Jester here. Instead, a Taigan mage takes a hot beverage from a masked servant and drinks deeply.

“You were supposed to wait outside, Commander,” the mage says tersely, exhaling steam over his cup.

Jester gestures for pardon, still smiling. “One does not ask an artist to wait, Jahainer. The show can stop for no one.” He turns to me, bowing again. “And I knew our Lady-Mother would want to know personally.”

I stand up more rigid, pretending like I have everything under control and am not annoyed. “Commander Ferwylt, thank you for coming.”

He winks conspiratorially at me, despite making no effort to hide the gesture. I tighten my lips.

“The thanks are mine to give, my Lady,” he says. “A little fairy came to me, you see. Seemed to think he knew where certain art critics may be hiding their food for the winter. The sort of thing no one can resist contesting in a fight, should we decide to hold the afterparty a little early.”

It takes me a moment to grasp. “You know where the traitors’ supply caches are. How?”

Jester puts his fingers to his lips. “Little winter fairies, my Lady. Starving artists have many alleys to turn to when they’re down on their luck. If you know where to go, and my troupe certainly does, you can find all sorts of tasty tidbits. And I’d like to invite her Ladyship to front row tickets to the show, for her and all of her gathered friends.”

“How many of your Eiganrac are available?” I ask.

His eyes light up, ears standing erect. “As many as her Lady requires. Only the best theater for her!”

0lqNNN7rhaJ3_Ofhdiclh-p8ssZR5oGu7TXG1vIr0JsKLwBg4vvZn8qDlpFFwIT2Hns3m2zrJR6PgNgOy_37gmgtfdfInu2REHEuQor0dEvg5I-pnkYEkkHqxDcv12GnHmctHn2p8nO9VcRLAiwUMFE

We’re right on top of them.

Jester provides far more Eiganrac riders than I had anticipated. Thousands of ordinary Snecboth like him providing their own mounts and lances. He confirms locations of the rebel supply depots hidden in the forests. We double check his information with scrying rituals, and every time he’s correct.

Talaran splits our forces to assault their two main depots and Jester augments us with his cavalry.

“I don’t care for him none,” Talaran says, turning his head to spit. “He ain’t able to speak like a normal person. Like this is all some game.”

“You were like that once when we first met,” I say, watching our forces rallying up for the march. Masked corpses are digging out the snowy roads for a smooth advance north.

“That so, my Lady?” he asks.

“Once you had a sense of humor.”

He sucks on his lips, watching Jester and his Eiganrac mounting up. “Children often confuse laughter for bravery.”

We saddle up and move out.

ntJ3c9a93OCQjU2D3PwSxKsklKFZX3zhLYHwa2Qtb9je31okw7fMjH_VDj_bBa3wj78XpiObTqpRRk8Z0cD9uoYU1iPpiI-MNVA0GWRiQeokUvqownXp7rmlsTEvuORaT1J5nYDnDZuVps89S_UB6mQ

As soon as we claim the rebels’ supplies of food and armaments, they scramble out of the woodwork to contest us. Instead of their guerilla campaign they must have been planning, it turns into two pitched battles. Their forces are ragtag and not prepared for our ambush.

It’s a slaughter.

Jester is there in the very middle of the bloodletting.

When it’s over, as Talaran is counting our supplies and performing headcounts of our soldiers, Jester is instead strolling across the battlefield. He sings drinking songs to himself in the snowstorm, sometimes pointing at one of his men to help him on the chorus.

“So make sure your old knife is sharp, me lad,” he sings, perfectly in pitch to a tune I do not recognize as he cuts out the eyes of a dead mage. “And ensure your tobacco’s dry. For the world is awash with fools, blood, and gold. And all elves is just waitin’ to die!”

“You never break character, do you?” I ask.

Jester pauses, inclining his head towards me, and smiles. “My Lady, you honor me! Your eyes are everywhere. The performer who ever thinks he is truly alone is not fit for the stage.”

“What are you even doing, Commander Ferwylt?” I ask icily.

He holds up a bloody eyeball. “This is my canvas, my Lady. It wouldn’t do to share it with the likes of the Rat Catcher.” He flicks his wrist with a sparkle of magic and the eyeball is gone. Jester bows. “The crowds we play host to aren’t prone to shouting ‘author, author,’ so we have to make due.”

“Are you making fun of me?”

For the first time since meeting him, Jester’s expression falls, ears going level. He stands up straighter. “No.”

It’s so plain and serious I’m inclined to believe him. “Where did you come upon the knowledge of the northern traitors?”

Jester tilts his head, gesturing for humor. “Agents of the Taigan Order aren’t fond of subtlety, my Lady. You can pick them out of any chorus. My troupe consists merely of regular friends and neighbors who know to whom we owe our lives and love. People very easy to talk to and let things slip.”

I look across the battlefield. “Can the Eiganrac find me someone in particular?”

He nods. “None may evade your fingers if only you should will it, my Lady. Name names.”

“Ishera Fasacminn,” I say, and my tongue tastes of ash.

Jester’s eyes light up. “That’s a name that’s come up during rehearsals before. I even once met her as a young boy.”

“In what way?”

He pokes his tongue into his cheek. “She was meeting with creatures of power, passing through to provide alms, building schools and temples in your name. Places to teach us proper piety and thankfulness to our Mother for all she did for us.” Jester looks meaningfully at me.

“What did you think of Ishera?”

He scowls in thought, gesturing for scorn. “She had a head full of stars yet not the good sense to arrange them into constellations. Providence chose her, and she still spat in your face.”

I take a long breath, watching it mist in the air. “She was once loyal. A friend, even. Show respect to those who came before you and fought for this nation.”

Jester gives me a curious look, one ear half-cocked. Like he’s not sure if I’m testing him or not. “Seasons change, my Lady, but people don’t. Some wear the mask better than others.” He reaches down to take the mask off a defeated wight, holding it out to me.

I accept the corpse-mask, rotating it in my fingers. Tapping my nails against the hard surface. “Find her for me, Commander.”

The elf whistles for his horse. “We’ll turn this entire country upside-down in your name, o Lady-Mother.”

5hT7q89Qkh6D-sX35X_UE13SZNLWPrvn6Lw_SfLDWdMZnLysm7zOwZB7sjdhjNCi1UJHGOCfMIuXyjWDdZiinQdCnu4RnqYzfELJlNASrooarCKwEGb7ncvkSb4TdNjQrPCwSyhaqIcxS-MJb6JjPmE

The White Terror rides alongside the winter winds.

I clench and unclench my fingers, feeling whatever I can from the joints. The knuckles bend slower than I remember. The feeling isn’t what I thought they should do. I can’t tell if it’s the years in the freezing blizzards of the new eternal winter or something more mortal.

I flex the joints. My fingers are sluggish. Something aches in them.

They feel a little shaky as I read Talaran’s reports.

He stands across from my desk and pretends not to notice anything. “We’ve rooted them all out. We’ve left the northern traitors to the Rat Catcher.”

We,” I repeat.

Talaran stares. “Ourselves and the Eiganrac. I dealt with the major cities, but they’ve been running rampant across the towns and countryside.”

“In other words, they’re faster, more agile, and pacifying the places we can’t reach in a timely manner.”

He grunts. “Maybe.”

I sit taller. “Are you jealous, captain?”

Talaran’s eyes go past me, staring at the great magical maelstrom above Gemradcurt. “I’m offended, my Lady. I don’t like relying more and more on these militiamen volunteers for their support and information networks.”

“Their methods are effective, however. We wouldn’t have been able to so quickly sort out the Northern Betrayal without them,” I say, clasping my fingers before me to steady them. “Surely you don’t suggest we do away with my most loyal supporter during this bloody winter.”

He shakes his head. “No, my Lady. I just don’t like relying on their charity. We have no control over them.”

I think it over. “So take control.”

“My Lady?”

“We can’t do away with them; they’re too useful. You have my permission to offer Commander Ferwylt and his ilk an official commission. Subsume them and their services into the Taigan Order by whatever means available to you. We must support and nurture loyalty like the Eiganrac have shown me.”

zqbA5F1hWA6GcyLnT087Xmkk1TloS04B2MBThA7JzHFs09TJQB19wfuf_M6tgPmi8wKzz5CDbVQjK_SCWwu5a_yOX-pycRA_y0A6Yks2mG8-Rw-M_UmizeS8sfvL8cZEBRLUCfIypl4_eK_0b2SroLQ

They shall serve well as outriders and secret police.
[The Eiganrac are an “elite” mercenary company that is entirely cavalry available to Gemradcurt. They are cheaper and more dangerous than an equivalent army and have their own manpower pool to draw from. Because cavalry is stronger than infantry, and these ones are extra buffed, the Eiganrac can utterly maul armies twice their size.]

Maybe I’m just paranoid, but I expected some sort of resistance. Even with the loyalty Jester and his soldiers declared, I thought they might have trouble being formally integrated into the Taigan Order and directly into my service.

Instead, Jester readily accepts the offer alongside the money and supplies being part of the government grants him. What I used to think were mostly just local militias turns out to be a wide web of snow elf volunteers equal in scale to my own core army. All Jester needed was the support to organize them. With Talaran supervising him, Jester organizes his disparate militias under a centralized command.

I’d offered him a pick of the upper floors of the Frostspear, somewhere I can keep him close and on a leash, just in case.

“I invite the kid inside,” Talaran says, standing before my desk. “And he just walks away from me, carrying his things. I chase him down to Ishera’s old office—he went straight there, didn’t ask nobody for no directions—and I find him with his boots on the desk and her old paperwork scattered.”

I frown thoughtfully. Instead of demanding that he come to me, I think it prudent to surprise him and see what he’s doing in the office. In his new natural habitat, so to speak.

I find it empty.

A passing clerk informs me Jester is already using his newfound legitimacy to proactively and independently root out resistance. He looks a little disgusted to tell me.

vygPwQMO3t3TAT2-dxnNEi52iMbgWZ6AsyFT-gJqn5JApB8zcabwvy8kcuBiR3tx2dzvCjBO7kbEoJkvrMfW522VAmyypoqc1PRBZasYZFkAqIx1nMOGUI-CGAEHC2ISycOCZT009w2ZFyIqfycoILM

The traitors never stood a chance.

They dispatch the rebels with the kind of sheer, efficient brutality I’ve come to expect from the Eiganrac. Exterminating any strands of insurrection and punishing the villages that supported them. Local leaders are strung up from any tree tall enough to strangle an elf.

This time, when he returns to the city, I am sure to meet with him. Ambushing him in his office while he’s not prepared for me.

“Now is the summer of our discontent, made glorious winter by this storm over Eordand,” he enunciates clearly. I hear him through the door. “Hm. No. Wrong emphasis. Now is the summer…”

Jester is in Ishera’s office, boots kicked up atop her desk, Gesturing piously as he reads from a script in his other hand. As soon as I enter, he jumps to his feet. “Mother and Lady, excuse me! Had I known you’d be visiting my dressing room, I would have cleaned.”

“I see you have made yourself at home, Commander,” I say, looking around. There’s a mix of Ishera’s old things and Eiganrac paraphernalia: banners, weapons, armor, and a stack of play scripts.

“Home is merely the stage I may best serve you, my Lady,” he says with a bow.

“Hmm,” I hum, hands clasped behind my back to keep them steady. I walk around the room examining his things scattered about Ishera’s old creature comforts.

Jester watches me carefully. “If you’re looking for Ishera’s liquor cabinet, I already found it. And everything else she had hiding in this old place. She left her locks and false drawer bottoms painfully obvious.”

To turn him sharply. “How? I had the Taigan Order turn this office upside down to find everything. How did you figure out where her secrets were when no one else could?”

He tilts his head fractionally. “My Lady and Mother, I am a fool. I recognize my own kind.” He opens a drawer and pulls out a notebook. “She took such good notes. Fine penmanship. Contacts she made. Deals she brokered. How she blasphemed your name. As soon as I found it, I went to investigate.”

“That’s where you were.”

“The guilty hide poorly once named.” Jester holds the book up. “These leads are old, but remain her entire script and cast. She supped with Peitar near Trimgarb, lords of Reotcrab, and village leaders of Autumn in the supposed interests of Gemradcurt. One of these groups yet draws breath.”

“You’re sure of this?”

He looks down at Ishera’s old notebook, flipping to a seemingly random page. One eyebrow cocks, his ears lowering in fascination. “As sure as I am that Ishera taught herself to dance for some reason.”

My fists ball and I take a breath. “Then track down your leads, Commander. I want her found. I want her before me, no matter the cost. Am I understood?”

Jester snaps the book close, grinning. “Yours are the only stage direction I’d ever take.”

ovThoqAZDbBaCSNgSAC4ycg2B6irkAYDsplGI6iEC5hvciwRcBn0MCX1kbEUWTP_HxEEfw9j4SOa4P0cOz8aLPlqLsGFKCkPjnMrh8JsiaVADSaJG2gEZ2uL5EhqdHpdTq0VebBoZGb4-0Lh2hCmO8s

It’s quiet but for the occasional flare-ups of civil violence. My armies feel oddly positioned.

I keep my hands buried within my fur coat, rubbing them together, unable to tell if the cold has rendered them numb for now or if it really is the sign of more serious damage to this body. Maybe it’s the years I’ve been outside in this dead winter since becoming a Fey-lich, or maybe it’s just the price of being a flesh and blood elf.

I exhale hot air onto my hands and try not to think of how close I am to fifty years old.

“We’re patrolling the edge of the Domandrod when we should be in cities,” Talaran is saying, arms folded over his chest.

Jester holds his hands out to a fire, smiling. “Obviously the best houses of ill-repute are always off the beaten track. Or are you suggesting you know better where people have been acting strange?”

Talaran sneers. “‘Strange’? You show up and start burning villages and call it strange when people start running away from you.”

With a twirl, Jester faces Talaran. His spurs jingle. He smiles innocently. “If they run, they’re traitors, Stitchman. Simple as.”

I watch the two men argue, one sternly rigid, the other flamboyantly expressive. Following reports from the Eiganrac we’d sent our forces down to the border of the Domandrod forest, near the Winter Gate. If the Fey are willing, the Winter Gate can let people in or out of the forest, but they haven’t been willing since the days of King Harvestcrown. Still, Eiganrac agents noted the unusual movement of Peitar and even snow elves around the region, which matched with old notes Ishera made about providing alms to surviving Peitar in the region, and that’s why we’re here.

We’ve been here up until the start of the brief summer. My hands haven’t regained much in the way of feeling. I wonder how much longer I’ll last before I’m compelled to take a new body.

“And those that don’t run?” Talaran asks.

Jester laughs, reaching up to poke Talaran in his breastplate. “Smart traitors!”

Talaran’s brows knit together. “This is a feywild chase, then. Who’s to say your Eiganrac rabble are actually being productive?”

“I am to say, and I’ve not provably been made a liar yet,” Jester says with an innocent shrug. “Anyone who’ll speak to the contrary is a prize for the Rat Catcher.”

“Meaningless,” Talaran snaps, taking a heavy step towards Jester, muscles tensed. “Speak normal for once in your life, you little fucking cretin.”

Jester cartwheels back, laughing. “Or what, praytell, old man? You’ve one foot in the grave as-is. If that even is your foot. You’re so covered in stitches it wouldn’t surprise me if you’ve been taking the best parts of those you kill and adding them to yourself just to extend your time on center stage.”

“Piece of fairy shit,” Talaran hisses, rearing his fist back.

I’m about to snap out of my thought to stop them when an Eiganrac rider arrives.

“Jester, you were right. We found them,” the courier says.

Jester just looks at Talaran and grins, all teeth.

-YFd070D3jy1ibLuzaan_NmI8CLMnkalKj_rcbFB0Lyoi6GRLDPAtgQbjOseoEFAzKNeNCEXb0JtP0x58Uvik-1OyoCMG0WxicdUZbsbJsMFsfzzTgeA29-9pLrbkF0WQ5eEMdNuAomiK7dvBjPd2W4

First our own people, then the Tuathak, and now the Peitar.

They emerge from the unknowable Feywilds of the Domandrod. Some forty-five thousand elves under the organized leadership of someone called Jahainar Truespear.

We’d all thought there’d be a local insurrection. The Red Winter had been winding down since the Eiganrac put the northern lords to the sword. Instead, a massive, centralized army of Peitar, Tuathak, Snecboth, and even a few Gladewardens have emerged from the impassable Domandrod.

It’s the Gladewardens that make me pause. They’re the Peitar elves who still live in the Domandrod, at the mercy of their own Fey masters. They deny entrance to the forest, spending their time trying to keep local balance and drive back strange Fey abominations.

They’re the Fey’s personal janitors, in a word.

And they make up a solid core of Truespear’s army.

I look around for the Everfrost Prince to ask him his thoughts on the Fey masters of the Domandrod attempting to stop us, but he seldom if ever appears when others are around.

If I put together every Eiganrac, Taigan soldiers, and masked wight under my service together, it equals the strength of this united army of the seasons.

2YYZnTkZZzUavl4sItzIzxEVBR2noomWIJ6GXpc_4fK6OfVwgKMeCBiPYsVGGmm2C_O7I3bHrZmHPMq_4S0Aiq4lc_rWvF_DccXWO8ottWdzuK705yli4k8lsrXcZ24gYkT8TimLEzWOnRAt09d07og

The warriors of balance come to restore the seasons.

But they’re still setting up camp outside the Winter Gate, establishing supply lines and taking accountability of their forces. No one has come through a Seasonal Gate since the Peitar of Iadth went through to ambush King Harvestcrown so many years ago. That had shocked all of Eordand.

Turespear came from an impossible direction with one of the largest armies in recorded history.

As far as last ditch efforts to stop me go, this might have been the death knell.

Except for Jester and his Eiganrac.

Our armies are already in position to ambush them before they’re ready to fight. We march from Dungat, where these wars all began, near where I was born.

Here is where it will end.

v14KpB6YQgNORn52x9NSjamKc55mhNHfmJXA50G7HjjTkbb81l5FpI8PSAlqjO5nO7R4a49kT0jRh6PkA98pR3wFcAYDU4E7jYO-dQ-wiJFOmOVTNow5KKj8OL-VgxY441_Icr4GUAmbxSLkGglGuGY

The Eiganrac slaughter them as Talaran holds the front.

Their armies were massive, yes, but still trickling in. They thought they had more time.

They didn’t.

I bend my numb fingers, willing the chill into my lungs, suppressing a cough as I channel the full fury of this eternal winter onto our foes to cover our advance. I’ve never seen a battle so large.

Talaran does what he does best, eschewing fancy maneuvering in favor of pressing the opportunities while we have them. Once, during our war with Jhorgas, he said that he didn’t think so much about big, pitched battles as he did about the smaller things: how to make sure the enemy has the sun in their eyes, and forcing them to skip breakfast.

He does that here. We attack as they’re cooking the first meal of the day, with the sun behind us.

We thought they’d take longer to draw up for battle, letting us take their war camps apart piece by piece.

Truespear is faster at organizing a defense, and uses his great number of trained soldiers, many of them veterans of previous wars against me and Talaran.

For a moment, it almost looks like they’ll overwhelm us.

Until Jester and his Eiganrac sweep in from behind them with lance and magic, charging from all angles on horseback.

In a single day, Truespear invaded Gemradcurt with the largest host in Eordani history.

In a single day, we slaughtered them all.

The killing starts at dawn, and doesn’t stop until late in the night when the first bodies are already frozen solid.

zyMVTGdm7rx9bMoTTtdl1AS_am1kmruNzC9YdmkYdHfroNUUsNAwmWWg0IcA-Mt5BC5GVLP4-06b1AAD9OVJbvWEmqUtaYIiIdi9wjdh9jw2Vb879OEyWPUAZxXp-oAehdV3FZPV3dIXTDRR8CMQ1e0

This must never happen again.

Once, we showed the Peitar mercy. We drove them from our homes, but after that?

We let them be where they lived in the old kingdoms of Eighard and Iadth.

It’s not different to the same Tuathak who rose up against me, or the same people who stood against me during the Everfrost Crusade.

Ishera had asked me to show mercy. After refusing Strutmar’s surrender at Dungat, I let her convince me to spare too many of them. We drove them off the land, but didn’t kill every last one of them. We let the Peitar survive when we conquered Harvestcrown’s old dominion.

And it was Peitar we failed to kill who rose up as one and flocked to Truespear’s banner in one final shot at destroying winter itself.

Listening to Ishera years ago had again become the problem of today.

I cannot make that same mistake.

We chase the survivors to their homes. The Eiganrac are good at that.

And once we know where they’re hiding, where their families have sheltered them and their hate, we force them to follow Truespear once again.

f2CtwSu0_TwwomMorc_W5FW8UauHQNorgI0zjR5aQMdawbHLl_eXfHipZv0PTdtUUGJ9EmYTtecnE8T6dVizHtlO4hP6mRsbtiRLG8YEdXVzwRK20xO6gM718CgbaTTBd_GUOXFeMUXnjxToJtdY2Mg

And Winter creeps in that much stronger.

Minnorac, where the Peitar killed King Harvestcrown, becomes a charnel pit.

Fathglan, Orachran, Fiscal, and Dorcurt follow in kind.

I stand before a great tree at the edge of the Winter Gate, hands together for whatever warmth my own body can provide them. Looking up at the ancient trees that have stood here since the days of the Precursor elves.

King Truespear and his officers hang from the branches. So many that the great tree sags. So we used the ones behind it. And behind those ones, too. Until we reached as far as we could into the edge of the Domandrod.

Nothing rots anymore. Not in this cold.

I raise a hand and bring King Truespear back to life, his eyes glowing with necromantic dullness. The corpse struggles. It reaches for its neck until it shatters a few more vertebrae.

And it falls limps.

I raise him again.

And I make the Peitar king struggle some more.

Again and again until his neck warms up from the friction of so many broken bones. And he’s finally able to rot, and his organs slush around in his useless, naked body.

The Taigan order repeats this everywhere the Peitar once lived in Winter’s realm.

rm2N6swuBvq1Yyrw1heqkAs9vzXXFiTjBFj9KQLlDRpsfW5x1a1sdojaEloZJHY3RJIoCR1O7hzdB1TcoykkcyyoLmttplLxrK3A4M894X1jyyunNr46Lv46cmegrflXNS-Isgvq8QZM9hjn2BVqXT0

Some sins cannot be forgiven. But for the safety of my people, in the end I know I shall be found faultless.

It’s done. The snow across Eordand is dyed red with elven blood, but they’re destroyed.

I put the Watchers of the White to the sword. I liquidated Harvestcrown’s children for their insolence. The traitorous nobles of the north, I removed them and their bloodlines from this world. And now Truespear is a twitching, rotting mass of organs hanging from a tree with his forty-five thousand best friends.

Except the only person I ever truly cared about is still out there somehow.

As Talaran is executing my will across Gemradcurt ahead of me, Jester steps off his horse.

I keep my hands together beneath my coat and dress, watching him.

His grin is wide, fingers twitching eagerly in half-formed emotions. “The curtains have all come down, my Lady and Mother. There’s just one straggler who refuses to let good art die.”

I stare.

“We found Ishera.”

DbwuiwujC9Wiw4RKBsu5DDbZpMQ_g75uXqlc3_yrBBwvQyfrbsK9MWBKFubf-br7ziSnVLR9ocOpW51L9_1eLgofhwpp7aZxtgDwvr45lOsEr-PaAEoamKdPAIBqk91lOIe_GjJOXOJi68QPBLbI8iM

The last of the White Watchers.

It started as an act of insurrection. It ended in civil war.

The Eiganrac found her as they were chasing down stragglers, survivors, and supporters of Truespear.

Ishera herself, just outside the gates of Gemradcurt, with a last alliance of everywhere who escaped the noose.

“How soon can we get Captain Talaran’s forces?” I ask.

He shakes his head, affecting sadness. There’s a glint in his eyes. “Alas, poor old Stitchman is away executing your will. Only my troupe can reach the white lady with any haste.”

Damnit, no. No. Talaran is supposed to be by my side to help me capture Ishera. So we can… kill her? Talk to her? I don’t even know. Why had I sent Talaran so far away now of all times? This is happening all too suddenly. I look into the gleam in Jester’s eyes and can’t help but feel like I’m being played.

And that I truly don’t have any better options.

“Give me your horse,” I say, and we ride north hard enough that my legs are achy and my thighs chafed bloody by the time we arrive.

04xDNKJP1kLEPXygaxnnVeVj6xgCi60fBUXagivYuufPF-Bp4vd6oCH2DzPDFkb-O53dtwA3mc_7lquB9DfLXkcjz8QOfaw1k5bKQXrCr07NTn81w2bMnuD3Cl6xx8CRvOxpdul4Zrhn6I_KwAi_J-8

A last alliance of the losers and the defeated.

Ishera doesn’t have much left. A strange composite of all of my empire, a cross-section of everyone: sons of old nobles, Tuathak heretics, listless Peitar, and whatever’s left of the organized snow elven resistance of the old order.

I expected some epic final battle. So does she, judging by the way her ragtag remnants attempt to form battle lines.

The Eiganrac don’t care to indulge either of us.

My cavalry breaks through their lines easily, overwhelming them from all sides.

Ishera retreats not away, but towards Gemradcurt itself.

NLQQ3YqiCkOH-FWmNoTV2MtBJwxE9mgoP0M8YGPuxfp76JNqxaQ1EfJkSd7PLwJC8RQUain0bdek_Kul7qtTMTEuvHGhR6GNjJHPsXxVQydrXJDPhLMD2_nUhAA1i0X3ksmWRXZ8fDGDsRG7yRHNY3E

Get. Back. Here. You BITCH!

We ride them down as they run, and I count the banners. Every noble house I’ve ever known. Many merchant houses. Sigils of the Peitar and Tuathak in seemingly random positions.

I expect to crush them against Gemradcurt’s walls.

But Ishera does something. Or maybe it’s last ditch traitors.

The gates fling open. They charge into the city, either to fortify or escape.

Then it occurs to me what Ishera is doing.

The great, magical maelstrom swirling above Gemradcurt, so intimately tied to the Eternal Winter and my soul in equal measure. She’s making a last ditch run for my phylactery, however she knows of it. The only possible means to actually kill me.

Truespear, Oakgardner, the northern lords—even if we hadn’t strangled them in their cribs, they wouldn’t have known how to stop me. How to end my Fey-touched life, not really. Not for sure. I could have always raised our fallen soldiers and bid Talaran march them again and again into battle until we ground them down.

This is different.

This is the only shot anyone has ever had to truly end me in a single stroke.

And it’s Ishera doing it.

I reach down to the great storm above, and bring the full force of all that is cold onto the city to stop them. To freeze the streets and her rebels. Extinguishing the old Snecboth hearths that keep the denizens comfortable as Taigan soldiers and their undead wights scramble to block off streets and corner her.

Jester howls, cheering the Eiganrac ride through the streets and snow. Slaughtering Ishera’s soldiers. Until the snow and corpses block the roads and we need to find other ways to the Frostspear tower at the heart of my empire.

We corner them at the base of the Frostspear. They fortify the tower, my old offices, and the Eiganrac murder their way through. Lancing the last of Ishera’s soldiers until we realize she’s not here. She’s gone into the tower.

Into the Heart of Winter.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, Ishera, you fucking bitch! You can’t do this. I’ve won. I killed everyone. I killed all who resisted.

You will not stop me when I’ve finally won. Before I’ve finally brought the peace and safety I’ve fought my entire life for.

You fucking whore!

Jester helps me off my horse and we storm into the Frostspear. I hold ice in my hands, throwing bolts through the throats of whatever rear guard Ishera has put up. Directly on the path to my very soul itself.

And then I’m at the door to the Heart Chamber.

Here where it all ended. I had retraced all of my steps in this Red Winter—Dungat, Fogrim, Raithtall—only to return here. Where my life ended for the first time.

I realize all at once what parts of my body I can feel, and all the pain I wish I wasn’t in. I’m panting, struggling to keep down a coughing fit. My fingers are gnarled with cold. My thighs are chafed and bleeding through my dress. The arches of my feet feel smashed flat. The sweat is freezing to my body, and I shiver uncontrollably.

Two elves try to stop me, wearing battle scarred bronze. Jester flicks his wrist, casting an illusory copy of himself that distracts them enough for him to stab one in the groin and the other through the back of the mouth.

He looks at me, grinning, and gestures grandly to the door.

With a great force of effort, I raise my hands and let the old sorcery tear the door down.

agAvzTVucJvmRl1yE2bX-I2FJdaANyf8f7cQ0iQlxH1Ps9DDadlUEWrA4xc_0v4L7uvg7UN34ORd1ZAM-l44LgRWYmjF1t6di7XCfX6Xr5wS95x3REmo-BQ1gi-IMapWCaDJTucTFbKL7Kip-JviWd4

Here where it began. Here where it ends.

Ishera stands there, a book in her hands and a bottle of mead at her hip. As she stares up at the Precursor relics holding together the very Heart of Winter itself. Casting everything in a pulsing blue light. The air stinks of Fey magic. My breath mists.

She turns her head to face me, looking lost. I try to say something, my heart catches in my throat. I remember the little girl in the Taigan Order I used to cuddle up with to stay warm during the worst nights. I remember the woman who promised to stand by me no matter what when I took power in Gemradcurt. She’d made such a funny face when I brought Talaran into my inner circle because I talked to him more than her and because he wasn’t a mage.

I remember her face at Marathmas, Dungat, Jhorgashirr, the Feast at Daidth, Arakeprun, and Einnsag. Countless times she’d looked at me lost like that.

But Ishera isn’t any of those women anymore. Her clothes and armor are filthy, her face gaunt and starved. She’d lost the ring finger on her left hand. One eye looks a little milky and damaged. And she looks so, so old. A mother who’s outlived her children and their children but can’t find the willpower to die.

Jester chuckles, his voice low and deep. Hungry. A sound that creeps up my spine until I have to fight not to arch my back. He grips his sword tighter and steps forwards. She looks at him like she recognizes him, hands gripping her book faster and flipping pages.

I hold my arm to stop him, my elbow creaking with the sudden motion. Jester shoots me a look that’s almost hostile, but he makes no further motion.

Ishera face twists suddenly. It does something. She smiles, soft and sadly. “Hey, Immie. Long time no see. Did you really replace Tally-boy with a younger model already? You’re so shameless.”

“I…” The words don’t come out. I’m suddenly hot in the cheeks. My blood still very much alive and rushing to my limbs. My fingers shake. “No, Ishera. No.”

She tilts her head, cocking an ear. “No what, Immie?”

“No!” I say, louder. “No! You don’t get to do this, Ishera. You don’t get to pretend to be my friend! Not after what you’ve done! Not after everything you’ve tried to destroy. Fucking no!”

Ishera looks at the book in her hands. Sighing, she closes it. “Is this really the line for you, Immie? Not sacking cities, rejecting surrenders, betraying your allies, exterminating countless thousands, raising the dead to devour their own mothers—being friendly is crossing the line?”

“That’s not—you’re being unfair. Stop it.”

She gives me a weird look. “Or what, Immie? You’ll kill me? If you’re already here, that means I’m too late to stop anything, and have lost. I made a gamble and lost. Should have known, really. Never could beat Tally-boy. Have you seen his face when he’s playing cards? It’s like his normal face, but, like, ten times worse somehow.”

I want to stop her. To interrupt her. Instead, I just stand there, everything aching, letting her talk and reminisce.

“You betrayed me, Ishera,” I say weakly. “We were friends. I trusted you. I needed you! And now you’re trying to kill me.”

Ishera glances back at the Heart of Winter, and tightens her coat. “I am, yes.”

Why?” I demand, almost begging.

“Because you’re you, Immie,” she says, breath misting through her teeth. “Once, I thought you were changing. I promised to always be by her side, the Immarel I grew up with. Who cared for people. Who was passionate. Who did everything she could to protect the people she loved. I was scared after Marathmas, but I understood you. I argued at Dungat, and you ignored me, and I thought you were just angry. It kept happening. Again and again and again. I thought you were changing. You were getting worse. But that when it was all over, I’d be there for you, and the evil would finally stop.”

She looks away. “I argued with myself. I lied to myself. I kept rationalizing everything you did, that I helped you do. Time and time again until that night when the snow started to fall and never stopped. And I—” Ishera laughs mirthlessly, a single, hoarse sound. She holds a hand up to her eye. “I realized I was so stupid. Because you weren’t changing, Immie. Because the girl I’ve known and loved since I was a little girl and watched grow up, the one I’m talking to, it’s you, Immarel. It’s always you. Always been you. Always will be you.”

“What do you think I am?” I whisper,

Ishera sniffles, rubbing her eye. Runs her hand down a gaunt cheek. “I stand before the monstrous, twisted ruins of a good woman who dreamed of a better world, who longed only for the strength to bring it about. And now that she has it, I realize she always intended to pave the road to her dreams with the bones and broken hopes of others.”

I swallow. “I know, Ishera.”

“Do you?”

“You don’t think it eats at me? Do you think I wanted it to come to this? You think I enjoy ordering brother to kill sister? Do you think I ever didn’t know what I was doing, and that it would all be worth it in the end.”

Ishera lets out a long, tired sigh. She tries to smile, but her lips quake, and it dies on her mouth. “Self-awareness does not absolve you of responsibility, Immarel.”

Fuck you!” I hiss.

She shakes her head, looking down at herself. She reaches for the bottle of mead at her hip and holds it up to me. “Care for a drink? I’ve been saving it for a good occasion: the day one of us finally dies.”

Jester scoffs, and I silence him with a glare.

“Ah, well,” Ishera says, popping the top. “You know a Fey gave this to me? She said it was for my good deeds. A thank you present from the same creatures as the Rat Catcher and your Everfrost Prince. I kept it by my side as I first rallied against you. When I used the Tuathak friends to help Oakgardner. Kept it on my hip when I convinced the old lords of Gelcolle and Reotcrab to stop you. And I held it tight when I met Truespear, telling him the stories of the Fey who warned me about you, convincing him to try to stop your reign of terror once and for all.”

She pulls it back, drinking long and greedily. Chugging the entire thing until she gasps for breath and tosses it aside to shatter on the ground. She’s no longer steady on her feet. “I wanted to do one good thing in my life before I died. I used to think we could do that together, as friends, or something—I don’t know. I’m maybe fifty, did you know that? All that time together, and I’ve not managed to completely do one good thing in my life.”

“Ishera,” I say warningly.

Ishera flicks her fingers, casting them in the weak light of magefire. Her eyes rove the room, sloshing about her skull. Until they finally focus back on me, and she smiles fondly.

“Who knows, Immie?” she says. “Maybe now’s the first time I win a gamble.”

Ishera.”

“I loved you,” she says, throwing her hand towards me.

I don’t think. I just do. And I’m faster than her. The lance of ice shoots out before her arm is even finished extending.

And then there’s just a hole where her shoulder used to be. The blood takes a moment to realize there’s an opening.

“Oh,” she says. “That’s no good.”

Ishera dies.

lzWLJ61au1Ru1enhdjB0n44hi_Ig_P1XZaHMLh7SHmcv0QAX4summwLwPFVnCHJ0vm6LkrK7U-6rijhtH5FS2EezLVmK0XUr2RhLDFzm5___lyLg-3fBwk3mQl3EZcGHj5avO5DTcSy9x68jXi6BMDs

She’s dead.

She’s dead.

She is dead.

I murdered my best friend.

Jester tsks his tongue, gesturing for disdain. Twirling a knife as he walks up to Ishera’s body. I’m too busy gripping my heart and trying to breathe evenly to even realize what he’s doing. Until he grabs her blood-soaked hair and yanks her head up.

“Stop!” I command.

He looks up at me, the Heart of Winter—my very soul—swirling behind him. “Do you want her corpse whole to raise for one last show?”

“I—no. Commander, stop. Don’t touch her body.”

Jester lets go. Ishera’s head limply splashes in her own blood. The man locks his arms behind his back, almost politely. Head tilted like a curious child. He says nothing, but his eyes make my skin crawl.

I look at the scene before me, swallowing a lump in my throat. “You and the Eiganrac will collect her body, in one piece, Commander. She deserves to be cremated where she was born, if nothing else.”

He looks disappointed. “An honorable pyre? Ishera was one of many. There is no dearth of desperate fools in Eordand. She doesn’t deserve to remain whole any more than Truespear or Oceansong.”

“She was my friend, Commander,” I hiss, fists balling. “My lieutenant, my left hand. She deserves the funerary respect befitting one of such a station.”

Jester doesn’t move. He just stares at me.

“You will obey my commands and burn her with honor, as she wanted,” I say, enunciating everything. “Do I make myself understood.”

“As a fine-written script, my Lady and Mother.”

He makes no motions.

Then obey them.”

“Of course,” he says, low and quiet.

Yxo_7p6Z2ynQas2mdu_MUipNNHQDq9AtLIhifFrkSiKEirH3EKDOt-5Za7F01HXsegjO-pxxW2WZLXqqs3DPqz6zFrLd5U_mUxin4XxPozimlGqTUkmJnqeq5j2NQ9K8DV7ez1rkoEwwJxwpb7xAm10

It is done.

There are no more leaders to this civil war.

All of their leaders hang from trees or are cremated.

Talaran and Jester fan out to clean the last isolated pockets. But alone, without any support, they’re easy prey.

The red snow settles at last. After years of fighting, all is still. All is quiet.

Winter is victorious.

And I am alone.

uq07kXSvY1gEDDYc73F8LurHBMLu54xfeSfOE18s-XsfArlqIooRzr_w1u8Dew8ZM80tkqlq60W1w7L4HMdswj-QMVBDuXTVPVnaEj02jXIsfUigkOoaLu-CmqcHpffF27R-pj_RsXCQI9rs-HcNscQ

Once, I had a nightmare. Before I made a pact with the Everfrost Prince. I had seen the death and ruin of my people. I had been the mother of death. And now, as the red snow settles, and the survivors buckle up for another long, hungry winter, I wonder if it came true. If I had truly done the wrong thing.

When I look out the window to the blood-soaked streets of Gemradcurt, I feel someone watching me. I search and search from my tower until I see him, standing on a rooftop. The Rat Catcher raises his pipe to his mask and takes a deep drag of smoke.

I shudder.

I had made a choice. I had made choice after choice. In the name of vengeance. Of the safety of my people. The selfish pursuit of power to prevent anyone from having to become like me to survive ever again.

I’ve lost count of the dead it had caused.

Self-awareness does not absolve you of responsibility.

I blink hard, trying to shake the memories from my mind. And just stare at my desk. The one I’d stolen from Jhorgas so many years ago.

For all I’ve done, there are still those who sided with me. I’m not a monster, not a true one. Talaran had stood by my side no matter what. And in the darkest winters, normal people like the Eiganrac had taken to arms to stand up for me and our nation.

I have done evil. But it was all for a good reason. And those who still draw breath are the inheritors of that good reason.

I have done so much. But I have done it for them. No matter what Ishera said, or what people like Truespear fought for, I had done everything for them. For my people. For my murdered parents. For a nation of motherless boys and fatherless daughters who now have safety and a home.

Once, I thought this would be it. And then what? Ishera had always asked me. Always needled me about. She had wanted to count stars. Talaran once told me didn’t care to bother his mind with useless hypotheticals.

Maybe he’s still right. People like him and Jester.

I look at my hand in the fire, frozen and gnarled from age and cold. The entire arm shakes. Immarel Winterswrath is a dying elf, too old and frail and weak to be what her people truly need. She didn’t even have the guts to kill a traitor until that traitor raised her hand in anger first.

But I am not an elf. Not exactly. I could live as something apart from them if I wanted. Except, I don’t. I want to be flesh and blood. I want to be one of the people I sacrificed everything for.

“I fear my poor heart will give out before long. How on earth can I protect it, if not by iron?”

“You can’t,” said the Boar King. “A hero must always wear his heart on the outside.”

I close my eyes. My bones and eyelids feel so heavy. I can barely feel anything else but them.

I think about the Heart of Winter. I think about the nature of my immortality, my pact with the Everfrost Prince.

And know what I have to do.

V46s-8mPp6zkvQfNvOYTSNR5TqyXp--zvck4K09OwYV7kxIm6aeyqInEMLab73I6BcbAITqSifAwvK_VMkY6jMBLRwtzwx_rvHnkFGdK3MPZ4cwV3Tc7axSVRHtS6Xx7sw2xBAGUBXTcLVhLunUN2w0

And a Mother takes care of her children, forever and always.

For there is much to be done.

70Kd94eSO9-Kq5ITia7ZUFm-YLQWpSU_3IHNko-MrnfIcbw1TJ4jymfZ5sjmz7g_4NKho0BRxM2Ljka_RS6LSyH8lyVWAj3hx4cNkxbghEU-sVaEKFGa-2IwP9rHLbsMTX24rcCk_nwQtFWj3SDH7Yc

Until my pact is finally fulfilled, and my people are truly safe in their Mother’s loving embrace.

END​

Thank you for reading this little AAR. I wrote this all in about 3 weeks after reading too many comicbooks and some dude on the Anbennar Discord was like “Hey, try Gemradcurt; it’s wicked fun.” And it was fun, incredibly fun. I loved the missions, the events, the rewards, the characters. It inspired me to pick up my keyboard and try to interpret the story and tell it to y’all.

What’s that, I hear you say? Why, yes, this entire story, all of the missions and characters and events—that’s barely a third of Gemradcurt’s content. But a story can only grow in the telling. This is just one way Immarel’s story can go down. To finally complete her journey, that requires you to do.

If you had any interest at all in this story, download Anbennar and play Gemradcurt and experience it for yourself. (You may need to use the BitBucket version, as at time of writing this nation isn’t on the Steam release.) Post your own playthru for others to see you as you scramble to put out the utter economic dumpster fire that an eternal winter and endless war will put you in. And while you’re out it, give a shoutout to Takasaki on the Anbennar Discord, who made the mission tree and the events. He’s a great dude.

So thank you for reading this story.

Now go out there and complete it for yourself!

See you around, cowboy.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
And so it ends. Winter has triumphed!

Ishera's dead, and Immarel rules alone, unchallenged... and with no one to tell her that she's wrong except the Everfrost Prince. That's... not going to end well.

Good job recruiting more armies, though.

Chapter 9: The Long Night

ECIuzM5oiF4ljXDN5bzCHWvMhlqaPNyGOwxZqZHeU2MWluyrEF3MMZykPGua2mOH-BKswnfcxzqydci54VhoA94Kxn5xvGICUcNx1PqAFbD8IME0ykVRfdHvcfCHU2efFgBh71sTGwTaM3UxS5CHqR8

“Mother of Death.” The end of the world sloshing out from my womb to destroy my people. Nightmares of magic and power and doom.

There’s an old saying in Eordand: “Never trust a Fey who claims to know the path ahead. You will find its boots conspicuously clean of mud.”

Yet here I am, at the end of a long life. Barely over forty, overthinking the old legends an adoptive mother of the Taigan Order told to her throng of war-orphans. Sitting in an office beneath an architectural wonder, reaching out to a fire.

And spitting in the face of every lesson I was taught from mortal mouths.

I watch the paleish-blue skin of my fingers redden with heat. I feel the hearth’s warmth travel into my trunk through hot blood.

Years ago, the Everfrost Prince had told me blood was alive.

Then he told me to stand up. He told me to take that next step. Told me to follow him. He led me to the priestesses and druids of the Taigan Order, where I once again found the simple warmth of a fire and survived. I’ve listened to him ever since without fail.

That was forty years ago.

My blood is alive.

I wonder for how much longer.

kWO9oyJFNJGFPL_mCaLsChUV8cpHtk05O-DNwdVeh2tML9bYy2xA-myJ8-7l2JYFIdlsjYyh38mMtCJNmjxpvpgwYyii4B7Q0tljOn49GuRiP37kndDpzfhRAndRi3TcJ3ErlVwcewWV3ZFAp3lkFBg

Everything has led to this moment. Every elf I’ve killed. Every nation I’ve burned. Every corpse I’ve enslaved to serve me.

I could stop now. I’d never made an official pact with the Everfrost Prince. He was my patron, my support, but our souls weren’t linked through a bond.

But then what would I tell myself? How would I explain to Ishera the necessity of the things I’ve done if I never actually finish it? In the abstract, I know Ishera speaks truth to power when she challenges my decisions. She is, however, only seeing the short term. The here and now. Not the truth of what I was working for, for all of my people.

Cruelty, in all its various forms, is no better gilded than rusty and sharp.

It’s just one of those needful things for a better future.

98DhMxsuy1HDhZ3Nz88X4x4-4ILyfTsi8AqIbEMtTG0ZEyH7Xr5FBM0iv7sJX0kxKBnLuYpL3QIXKkRpQpJtf3zULW0mfawSy6K-5tAFwVC_GMRuKkdqDhS90-SH9bX6ZHMMy1teehfHAH58zYyzH-8

Fuck.

It happens in an instant. One moment, I’m dreaming fitfully in bed.

The next, men and women surround me. Screaming and arguing amongst themselves as they bind my hands and shove a gag in my mouth. They drag me from my office into the depths of the Frostspear and barricade the doors. They argue and fight about what to do as the swirling magic of the Heart of Winter pulses behind them, bathing the room in a pulsing blue light.

I recognize one as a military figure who works for Talaran, Captain Serondar. The others, I dimly recall Ishera organizing meetings with where I’d entirely zoned out and let her handle it. Creatures of wealth, power, and influence within the court of Gemradcurt.

“We kill her, of course,” Serondar says, gesturing piously.

A woman shakes her head, pointing at the Heart. “And what about that? Fey curse me, but what if we need to use her to destroy this monstrosity?”

A man snaps his fingers, summoning fire between the tips. “Look, she can’t do anything right now. Maybe we can blow it up before the Stitchman gets here.”

They argue like this. My neck hurts from bending it to watch them.

I shimmy in place, trying to feel what they’ve done to me. I can’t speak. Can’t move my hands. I can’t even wiggle my fingers. Trying just rubs the rope deeper into my skin. Can’t cast any spells.

One of the women in the group looks at me. I bite down hard and try to spit it out, like it’s her throat.

She gestures and looks away sharply.

Outside the door, someone slams into it. Again. And again. Talaran’s voice calls out in desperate anger, pounding against the door. That only puts the people who tied me into a frenzy.

So whatever’s going on, at least Talaran stayed loyal. These other creatures of power, however?

Shit. Fuck.

Alright. Alright. Think.

Don’t panic. Focus on the facts. What I can and cannot do.

Okay!

Think think think think think.

They’re arguing what to do with me. Can I use this? How, though? I can’t speak or cast magic. One of them is a mage; he knows how to stop a spellcaster. Who even are all of these people? How did they plan something like this and get so far? Ishera is supposed to be watching out for this kind of thing.

She’s not with them. And with Talaran outside, that means my closest lieutenants haven’t betrayed me.

I was this close. It’s right there, the Heart of Winter, swirling within its precursor structure. Everything I need for the ritual is here. If I could get out, maybe I could—

hWI0OKPbaOTQNnN3YibbctMxkuI96a49vOt3f9DmezBClUiwPhMsmUy6IVxaEcw5UYM6IRtQX7f7lNU_T4vlmJ5VzUXfYU5oYAOhjyzfV0rvzZEhJMuJEuMG4DnyS2YpcRAcEpe5N9HssHWoTbzwi40

Gradually, then all at once.

Time stands still as the Everfrost Prince releases me. I rub my lips and wrists and listen to him, his words echoing in my skull. My mouth waters and dries in the same instant

He offers me a true, honest pact. Binding ourselves together by the soul.

The power I need, completing the ritual, in his name. I’ll survive. I’ll escape. Infinite power for just a little bit of snow.

I feel it should be more profound somehow. More celebration and fanfare and ice-magic. Instead, I’m basically in my underwear in a room full of people while I’m trying to get the taste of old socks out of my mouth.

I make the pact.

ldsXOxqqy_TJ6xAJND3Uw5yErvN0VBVGaAmzHoRIO5Y_6rLtWxb4P-ommk_jC6ZHlLWCk3iBBOrPKleqU-nd-rqL0tI5CZHmGjVsegIZkhLGyh2zSuQsACfkH-3oM5hBZV9kPhZlqwfUhTihw6XjBW8

Power and life eternal.

Carried forth on icy mistrals and an unholy aura. Wisps of it creep out of the chamber and out into the Frostspear, almost lazily.

Talaran beholds me with wide-eyes as he falls to his knees. I myself reflected in his eyes, and I don’t look any different. I look the same as I always have. I had taken power beyond the ken of any ordinary elf, and I remained the same me I knew.

Still in my underwear, though.

The dragon’s scales are thick, Ewan. But well should you know that the easiest way into a monster’s heart is his own reflection.

I blink. I take a breath filled with the magic of my new phylactery, clearing my mind of old stories. I hold out my hands and give Talaran his new orders. He does not tarry in carrying them out.

As the maelstrom of magic swirls above Gemradcurt, the Taigan Order and my wights break down every door. Those who sought to betray me are dragged out and put to the sword, no matter their class or importance. Their families who protest can’t be trusted either.

The streets do not run red with blood. This isn’t Raithtall or Arakeprun or even Einnsag. This is home. This is Gemredcurt itself.

Instead of being left to ooze and rot on the pavement, I command them to rise. In life they failed the Winter Court. In death, they shall have no choice.

RpDS5wXM8MYC_xe485oAVI3GZ_hN65HKjQgkLLo70pU5lbiEM-VE39Mv_nu_EEa8rg5IGvmtMtabw8EeijXRB3XhaMzec1EC1bME-6yU_iCnJ_Os4W_2Rw_EFWE2L4VQZo4sGAZ41irnHDCRG5R4544

Remain Calm. Winter prevails. The Lady-Mother Lives. Gemradcurt shall endure. There is much to be done.

The old halls of power are empty, their kings and nobles and merchants are ground to dust.

It is the table salt of their new mistress.

I stand there, in my office, and stare into my hearth. At the roaring fire within, as smoke and winter mists rise up across the city. The spell-maelstrom that swirls above Gemradcurt is tied to my soul through the Heart of Winter. Bound together as my phylactery.

This is it.

I am a corpse.

Yet I can still draw breath. I can fill my lungs with cold air. And I don’t feel my blood flinching from it anymore. The fire doesn’t do anything. Closer and closer, until I’m nearly roasting my still very elven flesh, and I barely notice it.

I don’t notice a real difference, I should say.

I still feel alive.

The Everfrost Prince had seemed quite proud of that. It was so I could still “feel the cold embrace of winter” or something. He called it a unique twist on being a lich.

My body remains alive. Mortal, even. I can use magic to alter how it looks, enchantment and illusion spells to preserve or tweak features, but it’ll die eventually.

It.

I’m thinking of the flesh I was born into as an it.

Because that’s what it is. This lichdom means I’ll need to transfer my mind into another body. My true soul remains in the phylactery, but I can transfer the conscious part of it into someone else with a time-consuming ritual that isn’t too fussy, all things considered. It’ll render them braindead, functionally comatose, but I’ll completely take over.

Changing mortal bodies. Remaining who I am.

I look at my hand and wonder how long before my flesh rots away, and I need to kill someone to stay in this world.

“My Lady,” Talaran says from behind me, flanked by loyal officers.

I withdraw from the fire, flexing my fingers. “Captain.”

He shakes his head, frowning. Gaze intense as the Everfrost Prince’s. “We liquidated dissidents within the city. Our garrison in Arakeprun met with some internal conflicts and is being held up on their orders to return to Gemradcurt.”

QQsMMZzpA8hKdUVFv7cuzaQJ7S4Kqld5CdxdFSm29Vjy9-wpYJwHQqo1yQeCS7oR9bq5GL8l9BQ4Fu7uCAlApW6VeSEeD-bwMQ-MbvkIc7IljHM9BX31RVvb1zphCuczd0vrhjlX6yzwXMkWIPJkg1s

They don’t know what’s best for them.

I look out my window at the city, at the maelstrom above the city, and sigh. “Who remains loyal?”

“We retain a vice on most major population centers despite the rioting,” he says with distaste. “Disloyal commanders in our main army and the Taigan Order have been dealt with. The countryside, especially non-Snecboth, are a warren of insurrection. Enough of the old upper classes have fallen in line to continue running the state.”

“That is not a reassuring answer.”

Talaran hesitates, ears level. “Can your patron, this Everfrost Prince, help?”

I scowl. “This is my country. These are our people. We will handle it ourselves. Like we always have.”

He nods. “Your will be done, my Lady.”

bks9G25DsdTqzFF2NTwjL6o83BLjqn_1QyOzuJc5mQ9vBuqxSEzJU7CZryt2JYXd6IJYbiur1qCFaqV4Bn7LPAjZCngkawiX-qE9DqRPsglu-PYvRnBFGaHrmwQM1qQA9u8BhbscDc5Vwr0LOJ3ML9s

And the Long Night opens to a Red Winter.

On the outside, I must be cold. I must be firm. I can’t show any weakness. I am Immarel Winterswrath, the Lady of Gemradcurt, who has formed a pact with the Everfrost Prince, the patron Archfey of Winter itself. I know what must be done and shall make it so.

For all intents and purposes, I’m Queen Bitch of the universe.

Privately, I worry.

I sit in my office, poring over reports and news from all across Eordand. Reading to see the latest riots, the most recent attack on Taigan patrols, or to figure out where the battle lines are being drawn. Holding my hands over my face and feeling the temperature of my breath as I look at reports of deserting garrisons, looted armories, and civil pandemonium.

Not all of it are reports from the Order. There’s letters from citizens, asking for help and assistance. The snow has fallen harder and more consistently than ever before, the price for a pact with the Everfrost Prince. The Snecboth people habitually store great reserves of grain and cured fish, but if the growing season will only last three months of the year, there are fears. Already roads and houses are collapsing under the ice, and only communal hearths and well-fortified cities remain mostly unmolested.

Then there’s news we seize from the rebels. Letters and reports. Attempts to organize a coherent front. The propaganda that claims I am “Fey-kin” and “Her icy tendrils are ten-thousand miles long; resist!”

All throughout I search for any news of Ishera. She’d vanished in the chaos of the Long Night, her office found ransacked. I don’t want to think of what happened to her. That the people who tried to kill me also decided to remove her.

If anyone hurt her, if anyone so much as touched the tips of her ears…

I let the reports fall from my shaky hands, and breathe.

9KeaXYnZF3-owcEi1-_S3cRbPNCjlWRaSDSdE60rrQh49JVQf55ZArCNqWghRP_sdgsr7UJLjlVabycIcihO_CBadetfRbqi3H5USFOQCtSCnwYf9bS8x_U-_Hr7CMuisBWaKKeMFBBzZSZMWJl9Hqg

“Witch!” the rebels scream. “A frost-born witch hungry for the flesh she peels from the skin of her Fey master.”
[A Witch-King. Any nation can get this when you perform too much evil magic. It makes everyone hate you but buffs your own army. At -6 diplomatic reputation, we are functionally North Korea to the rest of the world.]

“Witch.” The word on everyone’s lips.

Everyone who doesn’t know any better, at least.

There had been a diplomatic quarter in Gemradcurt. Had been.

Between the Long Night and all of my housekeeping, the other nations of Eordand have broken off any and all official diplomatic ties. Except for the Caamasi merchants of Bagcatir. They alone rub their hands together and greedily offer to be our sole market for goods to the wider world, laundering them clean in Bagcatiri docks for export. Everyone else denounces Gemradcurt as an illegitimate, insane state ruled by an immortal Fey-Witch.

It’s the thinnest cover in the world, but it seems good enough for everyone else.

So be it.

I can’t focus on the affairs of others. They may spit on my name, but so long as they stay on their side of the border, they’re a problem for tomorrow’s Immarel.

Internally, however?

xq2uWliCWnzfokR0di0oH0paJioqvVoRg15kQWej36guLVZ8kqEOYj19hJbJpuQhglfCFyNkmxsKimAoRAktBWtt0aS64BN3_7_EsgH1flf4yfwfAtCGBkdAcz-ok3WdLXl0lsFL5tvfJodSZMHfY7g

The opening shots in a long war.

Organized pockets of resistance rise up across the nation, storming local city garrisons and taking their weapons for themselves. People claiming to represent the legitimate, sane, and mortal government of Gemradcurt.

They’re not where I expected the sparks to go off. I scramble to move my soldiers into place, that I might join them and bring down all of Winter’s fury on these bastards.

FscV9qUkfvzJaeQti-JV0fwlivkLp1K-qJ3Ewej129F2prCq_7usvJf-G6zFAcWGtn3JzBB1vFAgL4bLtkdo21fob9rAfdTcWTrfbMcHtk6SpJuApGJPlyH3hur8bnevmMAUrk6bqNu3on7OcivnNCM

Concentrated winter in the palm of my hands sent into the throats of my enemies.
[Just an average day in Immarels’ life, checking things off the “Geneva to-do list.”]

“This group calls themselves the Watchers of the White,” Captain Talaran says as our army of elven soldiers, Order mages, and undead auxiliaries march off to handle this rebellion. Thousands in number, the column stretches for miles down the snowy roads from the hates of Gemradcurt. “It’s Ishera.”

My ears perk at her name. Then I get a cold feeling in my guts. The implication circles through my stomach and down like blood in a drain. “What?”

“It’s Ishera, my Lady,” he repeats. “She’s not dead. She’s worse.”

What?

Captain Talaran stares at me. “She’s behind this all. Maybe from the start.”

pV54c9-iteoa7QxTgnbP5wYUAzGwalPHYCiFwmBeEAxYWWhqhpaVDSBmZSnEKfm-czADKTGx5it3yxuH-4jLTTqBszIDWbPkZ2f5hEb9hMo3r9ROTNXNN2x_dPKuBMr1BCYgOeWp1hAw-7fBTfOLzUA

Ishera, no. No, no, no, NO, NO!

…we found Ishera.

I…

Watchers of the White.

That’s their name. Nobles and merchants and people whose families and friends we had to do away with during the Long Night.

Ishera has…

It’s the first shot. The first opening salvos of this war.

And Ishera is their leader, their figurehead, their—fuck!

I slam my hands down on my war table, looking at the letters and reports. Ishera hadn’t left. She hadn’t even deserted. She had betrayed me. She had very publicly and ostentatiously taken up the rebel cause, seeking to destroy my way of life, the very nation we built together.

“My Lady?” Talaran asks from behind me.

I whirl on him, my mind a jumble. An incoherent mess that can barely force a coherent thought, let alone words. I thought maybe she had been hurt. I’d hoped we’d find her, and she’d be there for me like she always was. Since we were little kids, attending lessons on the road together, having each other’s backs no matter what.

This was the darkest moment of my life. And she’s not here. How fucking dare she not be here when I need her most!

We’d talked about our dreams together. She took my hand and we laid on the floor of a tent and pretended to count stars. We—we—we—

“My Lady,” Talaran says again, implacably.

I take a long, shuddering breath. And I take the time to compose myself. To fix my hair. To adjust my dress and fur hood.

“Nothing has changed, Captain,” I say with a calmness I do not feel. Piloting my tongue by rote. Not even really thinking my words through. Just letting the body that I’ll soon abandon do the work for me. “We suffer not the traitor to live.”

I swear to every Fey Seelie and Unseelie that in that moment I see Talaran smile.

“Do it in two flicks of the fairy’s wing,” he says.

u8nI97oWa9L3poHFBp-r1Vp5TnyE7rMmGmDJzTEdiOMPtfINHs8JlojwC1eQiXTvcw5nC88buSieWdaE8s4Ah-yS9g15dEDjNuhWZ8VKnxn9ee0rYTWo-9ffnFnUussY40k4_WyA3QNs8yakj6-Zdyk

The White Terror cometh.

Dungat.

I remember Dungat. Once the capital of Strutmar, where Ishera and Talaran argued over how to handle the Peitar. I decided to reject their surrender and slaughter the Peitar to give the land back to my people. Maybe that was the first time Ishera had her doubts that led to where we are now. As if I didn’t do the right thing in the moment!

I still know this land. I can close my eyes and wander through the snowscape to a little town called Fasacglan, where I was born in another life.

Once Dungat was a notable town, now it’s just another backwater in Gemradcurt, having never fully recovered from when I laid it to waste. We only march through it to make work of the White Watchers in Slegcal. When I saw smoke, we deployed for battle and advanced.

We found only dead rebels, corpses, and burned villages along the road.

Snecboth on horseback meet us, carrying an eclectic mix of banners depicting white snowflakes on bloody fields. The elf leading the riders gets his stead and falls to his knee before me. Talaran steps forwards, reaching for his sword, but I stop him.

“My Lady-Mother, a pleasure. You must truly have ears everywhere to know the theater is in town,” he says, removing his bloodied helmet. He’s young, maybe in his early twenties.

I look up at the ruins of Dungat. “You did this?”

He stays on his knee, frowning in thought. “It was meant to be a peaceful demonstration of art and love, just me and a couple thousand of my best friends on horseback. But, well, you know how those traitors are. I personally can’t stand art critics.”

Something about that startles me. It had never occurred to me that while the people might rise up against me that they might also rise up for me. Even if some of their banners are mine, I did not sanction or fund or order these warriors. For a moment, I feel offended at the concept. Before I look again at this young man. A boy, really. He must have been born and entered adulthood under my leadership, in some ways raised and supported under my care. And when people tried to harm me, he and those with him decided to do something about it.

He was showing his loyalty in the only way the new generation of snow elves knew.

The young man gestures for pardon. “Ah, but manners, my Lady. What a brute you must think me! I am Commander Ferwylt. Or Jester on stage, as my troupe is fond of using.”

“Your troupe?” I ask, looking at the horsemen. More of them are lurking in the distance. Barely visible in the blizzard I’ve created.

“Why!” Jester says with excitement. “For my Lady-Mother’s pleasure, may I present the Eiganrac—Ice Wanderers—and the aftermath of a performance dedicated to our savior, liberator, and protector.” He gestures towards the ruins with all the flourish of a professional entertainer, his hand even shimmering with some sort of illusion magic for effect. “Alas, not everyone is grateful for theater these days. You know how these heathen traitors are. Perhaps in the next village we’ll deal with fewer philistines, hm?”

I swallow a lump in my throat and smile. “Your men have done good work and you have my thanks.”

Jester’s expression does something in my intestines. It’s this proud, almost boyish expression that’s all teeth.

“Captain Talaran,” I continue, “offer them and their horses something to eat. I have business to attend to.”

I look over the fresh corpses of Dungat and am still Snecboth enough to know not to waste, and add them to my army.

We leave Jester behind to his work and march on.

nOhUMYSD_Hk0INFHJeYuP9de3_vCPbwxEVzouEEycKNFmL463P0tsU-KJMV3BxHmXzDek3FRAMNkqW-NLHAa1v9zaD4ksKic8vWVtDFPENe-axK1gg6KFTHav4ABiquDSGJX50HDcNlh8XqMtpvvWLo

Ishera had once asked me about this. Talked about how the people we were fighting to save were becoming something else. Even our faith, our understanding and veneration of winter, was changing.

Sometimes by happenstance. Sometimes, like when I properly codified the Winter Court, on purpose.

Jester was a boy who grew up under the new faith, the new peace. He and so many others only understood my new world. This proactively self-defensive Winter Court. With the Everfrost Prince openly known as my patron, people like Jester and his Eiganrac are fighting as much because of love of me as they do out of genuine religious frenzy. There may not even really be a functional difference at this point.

I glance at Captain Talaran as we proceed, a man whom I’ve never seen make a gesture. Who wears his impiety like armor.

He looks back at me, saying nothing. Waiting for me to speak some order, to command him to do some heinous action he won’t hesitate to do.

I tighten my coat and continue on.

DQEUPuQFwrMVuJUjvfa9eplk7ZAHZzRVPWozLl5kIxRCkL-KZOu4NhPhFVoH79UkvAwrTfC507sZnpuHzO50ONyzpA7fMR8WBBwcLXG2t5wuvJq8x2B9r05mkZUpKmW60qtGFMGooxx8LNHJxsAfzgI

I learn after we leave that the Eiganrac ride off to continue their work, growing in support and numbers. I wonder after Jester, but realize so long as he’s helping I’m in no position to try to rein them in.

Any islands of support are worth nurturing in this sea of open rebellion.

And finally, we meet the Watchers of the White in the forests of Fogrim, where once I defeated Jhorgas and nearly lost a war for it.

WABbNNHSv34Cb-LdbQuGh03MUCdi1BreNM8drfQ6tE45Qs1ZJ1HK-bYeYnIyKiyKGxHATA5994To_JzoxFGhY08IgE6nPI1iw8p3qAGXXnkmPY45LN3mlfPCvkFTwmW_kFoy8KEfu28wqocLC_gSOCI

Victory. Bloody victory.

It’s strange. Dungat and now Fogrim.

It feels like I’m walking the same path I did twenty years ago, with Talaran and Ishera when we first fought back against the Tuathak.

I feel like I can close my eyes and I’ll feel Ishera take my hand and ask me what I want to do when this is all over as she flops her wrist around in hope. I feel like I’ll hear a young Talaran, before the scars and stitches, making some dry observation with that sense of humor he once had.

When I open them, all I see is endless winter. In the same place where once Jhorgas Frostguard once faced off against me, his head a tower pillar of magefire, now there are only Snecboth corpses freezing to the ground where we killed them. There’s no Ishera trying to see something good in all of this. But there is stone-faced Captain Talaran, whose body looked stitched together from disparate warriors, rounding up any survivors for summary execution.

I feel so cold.

I blink hard, shaking my head. Willing the old thoughts and memories away. What I’m doing are needful things. This is for everyone’s benefit. This is for the Snecboth’s own good. Even if they don’t know it yet.

vTMCS06xnupsm8Jj380o0jNDVjo3ehw_VVH9l3I1p6-dSh4bfyqjKpjZ0LY0J8SoZjXNELSwedqkNx9FZaAIcAlY5wzZ-0-9lgepAox6uYhCVDf1Ef1ZIcngFGLU9S3o5m61bIzGoImz4XpmtOBY2ls

My Taigan Order had already subsumed so much of the government, I may as well make it official after being betrayed by my upper classes.

Ostensibly, we’ve routed and slaughtered the Watchers of the White, but Ishera was nowhere to be found. Part of me hopes her entire involvement is some elaborate act of propaganda. That maybe the White Watchers or whoever else did kill her, and were parading some lookalike to give themselves some semblance of legitimacy.

One day, when my body fails me, I’ll have to do the same thing. I’ll find a woman who looks like me to steal her flesh and kill her mind.

Because of what I am, a lich of the Fey. Not even really an elf anymore in any way except physical.

Maybe, on some level, I hope Ishera really is dead because I’m afraid of what she’d say to me if she knew what I’ve become. She had sulked after Marathmas, Dungat, and Einnsag. She had a moral spine in that most precious and least productive of ways.

I wouldn’t even be able to hide the secret of my lichdom from her. I can give Talaran orders, but I can’t talk to him. Not like Ishera. I’d tell her everything. And I’d hope I could convince her I had made the right choice.

4MxhjkvcklaMKta7cOHg6saqcMrVDJEZwDnSLXpyv9D7vzNLDMBJolIL5rv4lgpTfSp2UabLTEFGSB3Jzv-Gez4wThUc0h0RBpbOz5PYYanBtcQJppLAPFnD-uKMdKjB1dq-c_tNOTgotj5uqOQ8reI

News from the former dominion of Autumn.

We march quickly for the lands of the Tuathak, where Order mages guide druids to root out the Autumn Court. It had been a project of mine. Or, rather, Ishera’s.

We’d agreed we couldn’t slaughter every Tuathak in their homeland like we could their colonizers. She had taken it upon herself to find a compromise after burning Einnsag: attempting to destroy the influence of Autumn to make good citizens of our former oppressors and…

Who am I trying to justify anything to anymore? Who am I trying to convince? I keep thinking these thoughts, repeating these memories, as if trying to explain myself. As if I need any explanation for what I decide is right.

I have the right to change my mind as I see fit, as I learn better, and that is my prerogative as the Lady of Gemradcurt.

I hope Ishera is dead.

I hope she isn’t really here.

I don’t have to explain myself to anyone anymore.

I simply am.

I am taking my armies, my legions of veteran snow elves and their undead auxiliaries, to the Autumnal realms. I am meeting more and more Eiganrac and seeing more burned villages as I march.

And I am going to finish this war, no matter the cost, no matter the bloodshed. Because I am right.

ZcIhNALqWJM6yAgv4TOaGv0Rke5EC_8-IYoni4TRCiB1F9I3OsgyXgzjSQBR_14URFt9_BDBN7GF6gRfLyUqye_m6o700VC5erZF1_gRSXKT7w2uv3jSaMtkW9jbKV4ZECW5fKeMmyNvWnsuRRNy-wM

And I am finding that this Red Winter snows harder and harder.
What will be missions, events, story if Immariel choses second option, refuses the pact with Prince of Everfrost and lichdom and focus in unification of Eordand instead of making eternal winter?