• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gaslov

Sergeant
4 Badges
Mar 17, 2014
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
When you build a special city as a temple city, say to Dauros, I both Helia and Agrela would also gain favor. However, if you then build a shrine to Helia, relations with both Agrela and Dauros go down. Is this working as intended, because this makes getting two divine spells per spell level really frustrating when every time you build a shrine to one god, the favor of the one right next to it goes down.

Also, Berserk (Krolm's spell) does not deal spirit damage to the enchanted unit despite the description saying that it will.

When you improve relations with a god, the indicator moves directly towards that god on the wheel.
The distance of the indicator to the other gods determines how well they like you.

If you get relations extremely high with one god, everyone else's relation drops due to your fanaticism.

Keeping this in mind, you can maintain >50 with two neighbouring gods, or >75 with one god and >25 with both neighbours.

I like rushing directly to 75, grab a few spells, then rotate it for the 50/50.

One tactic I find very useful is to start with the "Favor of: X" perk for one of the two gods you are interested in, which starts you at 30 with that god and 17 with their neighbors. A single shrine city to one of the neighbor gods (preferably one that your race can make themselves) will put you at >25 for two gods, allowing you to progress up the divine spell tree by a decent click before the gods start wanting >50 relations while only requiring you to make one shrine city.

This is especially useful if the god in which you take the "favor of:" perk is NOT one that your race can normally worship. The "Sun Elf" build I'm currently working on involves me taking favor of Krolm (A god the elves can't build shrines/shrine cities to) and then building shrine cities to Helia (a god the elves can worship). I can get pretty far up the divine tree with >50 helia and >25 Krolm before I have to find an off-race city who can make me shrine/shrine cities to Krolm. I'll be detailing this strategy in my Strategy and Tactics LP coming out on the 12th.

So how are you supposed to reach the higher divine spells? At around 50 for both Helia and Krolm, when I built a shrine city to Krolm, it dropped Helia's relations by 7.

So how are you supposed to reach the higher divine spells? At around 50 for both Helia and Krolm, when I built a shrine city to Krolm, it dropped Helia's relations by 7.

I've found that building and destroying temples is the best way to advance in the divine tech tree but its tedious having to bounce back and forth between two gods just to access one god's ultimate spells. The only one worth it imo would be Lunord's Time Stop.

The tech tree in my opinion doesn't work too well with the divine spell category because the last few tiers usually require 75+ relationship to research and its impossible to have two up that high at one time. Krolm is particularly bad because one of his Req.75 spells comes a tier earlier than the others. Also, even once you research one of the higher spells for the obligatory neighbor god, you won't be able to use it since you'll drop favor when you go back to your preferred deity. It just feels crappy and the only reason it is this way is because the Unity spell exists.

Has anyone actually fought an avatar yet, in a similar vein? What are they like?

I've only fought one and it was in the first game, but I can't imagine it'd be any different here. If you've fought the lieutenants then you have a pretty good idea of what to expect: its one powerful "Absolute" level unit with special abilities.

They should add in some generic god based spells. Maybe they have an effect based on which god you have the greatest relation with?

Smite: Deal damage to target unit. Damage type combination based on your favored deity.

Summon Avatar: Summons a powerful unit to fight for you, based on your favored deity.

The point is that these spells would be high in the tree, but not have a specific god required for them. So they would act as filler for picking up those last spots.