• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really hope so.
The one thing I think that will make or break this game for me is how the multi-player is handled.

I'd love to see some kind of server that matches people up for games and possibly even keeps records of peoples achievements/ranks.
Give me something along those lines and I'll pre-order now.:D

I really hope so.
The one thing I think that will make or break this game for me is how the multi-player is handled.

I'd love to see some kind of server that matches people up for games and possibly even keeps records of peoples achievements/ranks.

Well, that doesn't exactly sound like dedicated servers does it?
Either you have dedicated servers where each server admin decides what kind of tracking is done and you have to connect to that specific server to play there.

Or you have a centralized one like IWnet (Modern Warfare 2 solution) which handles everything, including matchmaking, ranks.

/s

Either you have dedicated servers where each server admin decides what kind of tracking is done and you have to connect to that specific server to play there.

Or you have a centralized one like IWnet (Modern Warfare 2 solution) which handles everything, including matchmaking, ranks.

/s

Regardless of what DS can do or not, will this game have them? I'm quite interested in it, but if it doesn't have DS then count me out for a buy.

/s

I didn't know there was a difference.:eek:o

Regardless of what DS can do or not, will this game have them? I'm quite interested in it, but if it doesn't have DS then count me out for a buy.

Yep, i'm inclined to agree. The MP has to be good to compete with the plethora of shooters already out there. Done right this game could be awsome, done lazy it could disapear.

I really hope so.

It is obviously very important to handle the multiplayer aspects in a good way as the game's main focus is Multiplayer! :)

You can hot join/drop in join into games that is already started and join the fray immidiatelly. You can also search for games that suits your settings or start one of your own. We are still working hard to make it a fantastic multiplayer experience so I can't comment on all details. But I can say so much that we will have detailed leaderboards on all platforms and a wide range of achivements.

/Martin

Well, maybe I'm being cynical, especially since the MW2 fiasco, but your replies appear to give a faint impression that you're going to implement a p2p solution for MP. Shame then since p2p is a step backwards from DS.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong since this game interests me and it'll be a buy for me if DS are implemented. A p2p implementation will mean a no buy from me and, judging from the fallout of MW2, a lot of people.

So please, DS for PCs. Take the chance of the void left by MW2 to capture a good deal of PC gamers dissatisfied from the treatment they received by IW.

It is obviously very important to handle the multiplayer aspects in a good way as the game's main focus is Multiplayer! :)

You can hot join/drop in join into games that is already started and join the fray immidiatelly. You can also search for games that suits your settings or start one of your own. We are still working hard to make it a fantastic multiplayer experience so I can't comment on all details. But I can say so much that we will have detailed leaderboards on all platforms and a wide range of achivements.

/Martin

Looks like the type of answer I was hoping for!:D
Also, welcome to the P'dox forums, feel free to visit anytime.:p

Well, maybe I'm being cynical, especially since the MW2 fiasco, but your replies appear to give a faint impression that you're going to implement a p2p solution for MP. Shame then since p2p is a step backwards from DS.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong since this game interests me and it'll be a buy for me if DS are implemented. A p2p implementation will mean a no buy from me and, judging from the fallout of MW2, a lot of people.

So please, DS for PCs. Take the chance of the void left by MW2 to capture a good deal of PC gamers dissatisfied from the treatment they received by IW.
Whats P2P, I take it that means a player "hosts" the game.
If thats the case then SOTS must have been P2P and I found the MP on that to be pretty good (but no ranking or achievements). Of course I can see issues ocurring in a more action based game.
Perhaps you can enlighten me on the MW2 fiasco, you got me curious now.

Last edited:
Perhaps you can enlighten me on the MW2 fiasco, you got me curious now.

To cut a very, very long story short, Infinity Ward took out dedicated servers and most features that made the CoD series, especially MW1, quite unique on the PC. It was the DS that really riled everyone up, with Iw substituting it with IWnet. Many promises were made, including that it would be as fast as DS and hack-free.

Many people didn't buy the game, and if their forums are any indication, many who did buy are quite unsatisfied with the MP experience of MW2 to say the least. Hacks and cheats are rampart, many people experience a lot of lag, amongst other, countless issues. Just check IW's MW2 PC forums to see the hellhole it became.

Dedicated servers are the way forward while peer2peer technology is a huge step back. PC gamers should expect DS as default and console gamers should demand DS for their games. Some PS3 games have them, like Demon's Souls amongst others, I believe. DS allow for communities to grow, a thing p2p cannot make. p2p is quite fine for RTS games, but awful for FPS due to the lot of action happening on screen.

So for me it's DS or no sale. And it's a real shame, since it's funny to see a game like Altitude beating a lot of games, like FEAR 2, OF:DR and even MW2 in terms of hack-free, lagless fun experience. And I would love that this game would join the ranks of games with DS that can foster communities and very-long term game vitality. Just see how many servers still play MW1 after all these years since launch.

Having been very involved in a lot of the network coding for Lead and Gold, I can assure you that it isn't P2P. It's a very much a traditional client-server server solution.

/s
Modern Warfare 2 server system is fail, trust me. Sometimes it takes ages to get into a server because of the way you host.

Modern Warfare 2 server system is fail, trust me. Sometimes it takes ages to get into a server because of the way you host.

This. If anything that can be learned from IWNet is that it does not work for PC gamers. p2p networks are a step back, not forwards.

If Lead&Gold does not have dedicated servers, I predict close to 0 PC sales. FEAR Combat is the MP aspect of the original FEAR game and is free to get, and it has a huge community. Altitude is another cheap fun game with DS and the community seems to grow exponentially. p2p networks ensure that no community is formed and, hence, the game fades away after a couple years at most.

Though it's funny to notice no straight answer has been given yet to the simple question, Does it have Dedicated Servers or not for the PC?

Though it's funny to notice no straight answer has been given yet to the simple question, Does it have Dedicated Servers or not for the PC?

It has nothing, because the game has not been released yet. It is even possible that they have not finalized that decision, depending upon how late in Q1 they expect to release.

It has nothing, because the game has not been released yet. It is even possible that they have not finalized that decision, depending upon how late in Q1 they expect to release.

Ok then, I shall wait for the definitive response. Maybe if enough people frequent this forums a vote could be put up asking PC players what they prefer?

Anyway, I'll keep a close eye here to see when the final decision is made.

Apparently not :p