• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Besides looking at the history file, is there another way to find bugs?

Besides carefully checking all modded files you can only rely on the Validator to identify bugs. But keep in mind that it doesn't cover some special cases which result in false bug reports by the validator. Then simply trigger these events to check if they do what they're intended to do.

Perhaps the event number the .exe stumbled on?

That would be a good starting point. Look also at the event placed right before it and check for missing brackets.

Long time no see!

Yep, it's quite some time ago. I thought your question should not go unnoticed and required an answer. It's good to see you're still around modding Ricky. I was too busy in the meantime to do some serious modding so that I'd to shelve my plans for V2, while my mod for EU3 is still almost complete. The major part of my spare time was spent on research for the naval mods. And, well, I've played some non-Paradox games, too. Lately the RaR mod for Civ4 Colonization. No surprise that in the middle of my first game I've started adding some fixes to improve the UI and the text of events...

I thought the validator was for clausewitz engine games only?

Luckily not, there is also a version of the Validator which can be used for Ricky. I've included that version as part of my non-official hotfix for VIPR. It's a very helpful tool.

Any suggestions on getting this to work? I am on the road, so replies may be delayed...

Sorry for the delay, I've been on vacation.;)

You've problems setting up the Validator? Have you seen this thread (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/victoria-validator.432608/) and downloaded the User Guide? (v0.8 is the last version that was specifically tailored to be used for Ricky)

I've checked several of my Validator installations and have found this (expanded) readme:

Version: 1.13.3 [v1.13.3]
.NET Framework 4.0 is required. See http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5765d7a8-7722-4888-a970-ac39b33fd8ab

The Validator is a tool to scan through thousands of files and to find errors in them.

TO USE (brief instructions)
1. Open Validator.exe
2. Fill in the "Game Path" field at the top. This will be something like "C:\Program Files\Hearts of Iron" or "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II". In particular, it should NOT be anything like "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\<some game>\..."
3. Choose the appropriate game from the list on the right.
4. If you are using moddir, fill in the "Mod Name" field. This is generally the final name of the .mod file (without the extension), or the name listed inside the .mod file. The Validator should give you a valid list of mod if you enter an incorrectone.
5. Click on "Validate", at the top right, and wait for validation to run.

On the plus side, the 1815 fix is shaping up nicely...

Good news! I'm curious what you've done. :)

While doing some testing on my own I've found the reason why the Validator has caused you troubles: it seems that several files of the Validator included in my non-official hotfix had been corrupted. When I'd built my new PC 2 years ago I'd also re-used the hdd of my former PC as a backup for old games, patches and mods which proved to be a bad idea. In the meantime the old hdd has corrupted a lot of archived files including mods which I've been updating regularly. This is very frustrating...:(:mad: